2023 Men's Hockey Junior Asia Cup : 23 May – 1 June

nextover666666

First Class Captain
Runs
2023 Men's Hockey Junior Asia Cup : 23 May – 1 June is currently going on in Oman in the city of Salalah.

A little late on posting due to being busy, but decided to post today, since I got a chance.

The top 3 teams will qualify for the 2023 Men's FIH Hockey Junior World Cup 2023 which will take place in Malaysia later this year.

Currently on paper and form India is heavy favorites to win the Junior Asia Cup.

If we look at History of this tournament Pakistan and India won it the most 3 times each and South Korea and Malaysia won it 1 time each as well.

This years Groups

Group A: Pakistan, India, Japan, Chinese Taipei and Thailand
Group B: Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Oman, Uzbekistan

Results so far

May 23rd: Japan beat Thailand 7-1
May 23rd: Pakistan Beat Chinese Taipei 15-1
May 23rd: Malaysia Beat Uzbekistan 8-1
May 23rd: Bangladesh beat Oman 2-0

May24th: India beat Chinese Taipei 18-0
May24th: Pakistan Beat Thailand 9-0
May 24th: South Korea beat Uzbekistan 6-1

May 25th: India beat Japan 3-1
May 25th: Malaysia beat Bangladesh 5-1
May25th: South Korea Beat Oman 8-1

May 26th: Thailand beat Chinese Taipei 4-2
May 26th: Bangladesh beat Uzbekistan 3-1

May 27th: Japan beat Chinese Taipei 10-1
May 27th: Pakistan draw India 1-1

May 27th: Malaysia beat South Korea 3-1
May 27th: Oman beat Uzbekistan 3-2

final group stage games

May 28th: India vs Thailand
May 29h: Pakistan vs Japan

May 28th: South Korea vs Bangladesh
May 29th: Oman vs Malaysia

Wow Pakistan drew with India - should count as a big thing?

Results from 28th and 29th May (last group stage matches)

India beat Thailand 17-0
Pakistan beat Japan 3-2
South Korea beat Bangladesh 3-1

Oman vs Malaysia to still happen

However in Group A Pakistan and India advance
in group B Malaysia and south Korea advance

India tops group A and will play 2nd place team between South Korea and Malaysia ( most likley south korea)

Pakistan finishing second in group A will be first place team of Group B (most likely Malaysia)

Currently the leading goal scorers from the tournament are both from India and Pakistan whom both have 6 goals each.

Araljeet Singh Hundal of India and Abdul Rehman of Pakistan.

Wow Pakistan drew with India - should count as a big thing?

It is a miracle that Pak is competing with Ind in any world event, despite of unavailability of basic fundamentals in schools.

Malaysia won their last group stage match vs Oman 1-0

Final Standings for Group Stage

Group A
1) India 10 points
2) Pakistan 10 points
3) Japan 6 points
4) Thailand 3 points
5) Chinese Taipie 0 points

Group B
1) Malaysia 12 points
2) South Korea 9 points
3) Bangladesh 6 points
4) Oman 3 points
5) Uzbekistan 0 points

Semi Finals

May 31st : Malaysia vs Pakistan
May 31st: India vs South Korea

Classification matches
May 30th: Japan vs Oman
May 30th: Bangladesh vs Thailand

Japan beat Oman 8-0 and Bangladesh beat Thailand 4-1

Japan will play Bangladesh to determin 5th place ranking (June 1st)
Oman will play Thailand to determine 7th place ranking (June 1st)

Chinese Taipei will play Uzbekistan May 31st to determine 9th-10th place ranking

Semi Finals

May 31st : Malaysia vs Pakistan
May 31st: India vs South Korea

Pakistan will face Malaysia in the semi-final of the ongoing Junior Hockey Asia Cup in Salalah, Oman, on Wednesday.

The winner of the match between Pakistan and Malaysia will face India or Korea, who will lock horns in the other semi-final today, on June 1. Meanwhile, the losing semi-finalists will face each other in the third and fourth place match on the same day.

Earlier, Pakistan defeated Japan 3-2 during their last pool match on Monday to qualify for this year’s Junior World Cup in Malaysia.

For Pakistan, Abdul Wahab scored two goals and Arbaaz Ahmed scored one goal in the match played in Salalah.

However, for Japan in the second minute of the game, Kompi Yoshida gave his team the lead on a penalty corner.

Pakistan's Arbaaz equalised the match by scoring on a penalty corner in the 23rd minute. In the 30th minute, Abdul Wahab scored a field goal to give Pakistan the lead, but in the 38th minute, Japan's Hota Yamada equalised the match once again.

Pakistan only needed to avoid defeat in their final pool match against Japan in order to qualify for the World Cup after their match against India ended with a draw.

It must be noted that Malaysia, as hosts, have already qualified for the World Cup.

Since they have also qualified for the semi-finals of the Junior Asia Cup, this meant that all the other three teams making it to the last four will gain entry into the World Cup as well.

The FIH Junior Hockey Men’s World Cup 2023 will be played in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from December 5-16, 2023.

GEO

India beat South Korea 9-1 in their semi-final and advance to the finals

Uzbekistan beat Chinese Taipei 4-1 to claim 9th place.

On a side note happy to see Pakistan qualify for Junior World cup. Lets hope they can win their semi-final match vs Malaysia today

Pakistan beat Malaysia 6-2 in semi-finals

Malaysia will be south Korea for Bronze medal
Final will be Pakistan vs India.

India will start as favorites and are expected to win but I suspect a close match, if Pak can pull of the win will be amazing, its a final so anything can happen, but India will be favorites.

I watched todays game vs Malaysia and some things I wanted to point out, which need to be address for final and for future matches.

- Despite score line being 6-2, Pakistan had soo many Penalty corners in this match, i would say atleast 10 or more, do not know the exact number but they had a lot, and missed out on a lot of them as well, I believe they scored on 2 only if not mistaken.

- In terms of build up and ball possession, Pakistan had a lot and really looked dangerous when attacking, but failed to finish at times, or failed to complete a final pass, this is something I have notice with Pakistan hockey in general for a while

- The defence needs to be a little better and keeper needs to be an point, the second goal he allowed was sloppy although defense was caught napping as well.

- When Pakistan scored the second goal to take a 2-1 lead, literally 15 seconds later Malaysia scored, defense was caught napping, they cant let go for even a second when the play the final, or they will be punished, despite Malaysia tying the game, thankfully Pak was able to score 4 more and end up on the winning side.

- During the first half Malaysia was leading 1-0, what I liked was when second half started Pakistan were not dejected they kept attacking, and did not seem to be out of much stamina either- which is an issue we have seen in past with Pakistan Hockey. They were Hungary and they wanted to find a way to win and they did, so a great positive their.

- I believe the coaching staff has been really good for this Pak team, the teams looked more composed and looked like they had a bit of strategy when attacking oppose to Pak teams, in the past who would look more predictable.

- The young Pak players do have talent, and have great dribbling skills, and make some great set ups as well, but at the end of the day, they need to finish better. I think this is something that will come with time, but I hope for the finals the boys can come through

Regardless of what happens this is a good Pak team, and will love to see Pak Hockey back on a winning track for both senior and junior team.

Ma sha Allah, under the circumstances this is a great effort by the youngsters. All the best for the big game against India.

Ma sha Allah, under the circumstances this is a great effort by the youngsters. All the best for the big game against India.

Amazing effort indeed, and a lot of credit needs to go to coaching staff as well they have done some good work.

Coach -Zeeshan Ashraf
Consultant - Roelant Oltmans

This is a fantastic effort by the Pakistan youngsters given the lack of facilities or funding. Let's hope they win it all, at least to provide a source of motivation for the senior team if nothing else.

It is sad that all of this motivation, promise, and performance at junior level cannot be transferred or sustained at the senior level and things just fizzle out.

SALALAH: Abdul Rehman scored a brilliant hat-trick as Pakistan came from behind to hand a 6-2 thrashing to Malaysia in the Junior Hockey Asia Cup semi-final on Wednesday.

Parabo Tangaraja opened the scoring for Malaysia in the 21st minute to take the lead which lasted until the 42nd minute as Muhammad Safyan fired the equaliser.

Abdul Rehman then struck his first and put the men in green in the lead in the 44th minute but the advantage only lasted a minute as Malaysia equalized.

Abdul Hannan Shahid’s field goal in the 47th minute once again put Pakistan into the lead before Abdul Rehman struck twice in the 48th and 51st minutes to complete his hat-trick and enhanced Pakistan’s dominance.

Arbar Ahmed’s 58th-minute strike proved to be a cherry on top for Pakistan which completed a 6-2 thrashing victory over Malaysia to qualify for the third straight Junior Hockey Asia Cup final and seventh overall.

Pakistan will now face arch-rivals India in the much-anticipated final of the Asian event. Earlier in the first semi-final, India blew away South Korea 9-1 to qualify for the final.

It is worth mentioning here that both Pakistan and India are so far unbeaten in this year’s Junior Hockey Asia Cup.

The arch-rivals also came face to face in the group stage but the enthralling contest failed to conclude a result as they settled for a 1-1 stalemate.

Playing at the Salalah Sports Complex, the Pakistan team defended the Indian attack quite brilliantly in the first quarter which ended without a goal despite men in blue enjoying the bulk of possession.

India took the lead via a penalty corner with Sharad Nand Tiwari flicking the ball in the net to help his team go 1-0 before halftime.

Pakistan, however, unleashed a counterattack in the third quarter and put the Indian defence under pressure.

India won a couple of penalty corners but failed to score. Pakistan, on the other hand, equalized through Ali Basharat, who netted from a close distance to make it 1-1.

The final quarter also witnessed a see-saw contest with both teams battling for a winning goal but the deadlock persisted till the final whistle.

a-sports

Arch-rivals India and Pakistan will face off in the Men's Junior Asia Cup 2023 hockey final at the Salalah Sports Complex in Oman on Thursday.

The India vs Pakistan hockey match is scheduled to start at 9:30 PM

Arch-rivals India and Pakistan will face off in the Men's Junior Asia Cup 2023 hockey final at the Salalah Sports Complex in Oman on Thursday.

The India vs Pakistan hockey match is scheduled to start at 9:30 PM

Another 30 mins to start

Final score

India 2 Pakistan 1, didnt catch the final since working from office, saw the scoreline

If anyone watched the game, kindly let me know how Pak played, judging the scoreline, it didnt seem to bad and close, at the same time Congrats to India on the win.

SALALAH: Arch-rivals India edged Pakistan by the scoreline of 2-1 to lift the Junior Hockey Asia Cup 2023 title, which is their fourth overall.

Heading into the blockbuster final, both India and Pakistan were unbeaten in the continental event.

Singh Angad Bir opened the scoring for India in the 12th minute via a brilliant field goal and gave his side an upper hand in the first quarter.

Hundal Araijeet Singh then doubled India’s lead just four minutes into the second quarter as Pakistan spilt a couple of opportunities to fire an equalizer.

If only the Pakistan senior hockey team can put up this much of a spirited performance against India!! I hope the seniors can learn from these youngsters.

Pakistan beat Malaysia 6-2 in semi-finals

Malaysia will be south Korea for Bronze medal
Final will be Pakistan vs India.

India will start as favorites and are expected to win but I suspect a close match, if Pak can pull of the win will be amazing, its a final so anything can happen, but India will be favorites.

I watched todays game vs Malaysia and some things I wanted to point out, which need to be address for final and for future matches.

- Despite score line being 6-2, Pakistan had soo many Penalty corners in this match, i would say atleast 10 or more, do not know the exact number but they had a lot, and missed out on a lot of them as well, I believe they scored on 2 only if not mistaken.

- In terms of build up and ball possession, Pakistan had a lot and really looked dangerous when attacking, but failed to finish at times, or failed to complete a final pass, this is something I have notice with Pakistan hockey in general for a while

- The defence needs to be a little better and keeper needs to be an point, the second goal he allowed was sloppy although defense was caught napping as well.

- When Pakistan scored the second goal to take a 2-1 lead, literally 15 seconds later Malaysia scored, defense was caught napping, they cant let go for even a second when the play the final, or they will be punished, despite Malaysia tying the game, thankfully Pak was able to score 4 more and end up on the winning side.

- During the first half Malaysia was leading 1-0, what I liked was when second half started Pakistan were not dejected they kept attacking, and did not seem to be out of much stamina either- which is an issue we have seen in past with Pakistan Hockey. They were Hungary and they wanted to find a way to win and they did, so a great positive their.

- I believe the coaching staff has been really good for this Pak team, the teams looked more composed and looked like they had a bit of strategy when attacking oppose to Pak teams, in the past who would look more predictable.

- The young Pak players do have talent, and have great dribbling skills, and make some great set ups as well, but at the end of the day, they need to finish better. I think this is something that will come with time, but I hope for the finals the boys can come through

Regardless of what happens this is a good Pak team, and will love to see Pak Hockey back on a winning track for both senior and junior team.

It was good to read full game personal analysis. I am glad that we have physical fitness in our junior team to sustain energy level. This is how we used to play until we lost our glory. Also, the finish creates the distinction among the world’s best teams in all of the sports. We lost the cup 1-2. It is alright. Despite of our lack of resources and the UTILIZATION of it, we have done nothing less than a miracle.

If only the Pakistan senior hockey team can put up this much of a spirited performance against India!! I hope the seniors can learn from these youngsters.

You see the skill level at that level is not very different. I don’t think the Indian junior team gets significantly better facilities than the Pakistani junior team. So both compete at a similar level. But it seems like india has upped the management of the senior team and domestic hockey league. And that’s why you see a difference.

Final score

India 2 Pakistan 1, didnt catch the final since working from office, saw the scoreline

If anyone watched the game, kindly let me know how Pak played, judging the scoreline, it didnt seem to bad and close, at the same time Congrats to India on the win.

I just watched the scores after some 20 minutes and saw India leading 2-0 and thought this could be nasty, but the youngsters obviously fought back well and this narrow defeat is of course hard to digest for them, but they should also take alof of heart from their performances and keep working hard. Well done, we are proud of our team :)

I just watched the scores after some 20 minutes and saw India leading 2-0 and thought this could be nasty, but the youngsters obviously fought back well and this narrow defeat is of course hard to digest for them, but they should also take alof of heart from their performances and keep working hard. Well done, we are proud of our team :)

Inspite of the fact the hockey infrastructure in Pakistan is on its knees. Just shows we have the talent just need the investment. And the crazy part India have shown us the way. Not hard to take lessons from what they have done. Good performance from the boys. Hopefully they can put up a good showing at the junior world cup.

And this is how we reward our players for their hard work?

==

As per reports, PHF is unable to pay daily allowances to players participating in junior Asia Cup as Pakistan Sports Board did not provide funds to PHF for this event.

And this is how we reward our players for their hard work?

==

As per reports, PHF is unable to pay daily allowances to players participating in junior Asia Cup as Pakistan Sports Board did not provide funds to PHF for this event.

Insane, why would they take up the game at senior level when you are responsible for people in South Asia

Back