3rd ODI Pakistan v Sri Lanka (Commentary thread Pakistan's Innings) [22/5/07]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzi

First Class Captain
Runs
The target for Pak is 297 at just under 6 an over.

Can they do it?

They need to get off to a good solid start.

I expect little to nothing from Hafeez. We can do it but we need Yousuf or Malik to play a big one and if Butt and Hameed continue with their form from the last game we can do it.

I will be glad if we at least fight until the last over.

It will be interesting run chase, it would have been nice to see Nazir in this situation but we should have backup openers so maybe one last chance for Hafeez to make an impression.

5/0 after 2.1 overs, slow start but we need to keep wickets in hand.

Muyazzim Khan said:
looks like Butt will be playing for himself as usual.

There you go, he played for the team and got out :)

Butt caught in two minds whether to play or leave it and he didn't take away his bat in time and got an inside edge into the stumps.

What was Butt saying to the ump when he walked off?

The wicket has changed drastically since the interval. It's looking very green and carrying at head height to the keeper. The ball is moving miles off the seam and to boot their is a Headingleyesque cloud cover out their. I think Hafeez and Hameed should go into test mode.

Wow!! Hafeez showing some aggression there, 2 consecutive boundaries off Malinga.......

Muyazzim Khan said:
The wicket has changed drastically since the interval. It's looking very green and carrying at head height to the keeper. The ball is moving miles off the seam and to boot their is a Headingleyesque cloud cover out their. I think Hafeez and Hameed should go into test mode.

We are doing well on the green wicket though :19:

ah Hafeez cmon. Playing agressively doesn't mean slogging. You're capable of better than that.

2 consecutive boundaries for Hameed on the leg side.

Back to back boundaries for Hameed - glorious batting! :D

Now Hameed scoring consecutive 4's off Malinga, good work there.
35/1 after 6 is pretty good.

lovely 4 by Hafeez through the covers

THis is exactly what we need from these two - cant get the RRR creep up too high early on.

Uzi said:
The target for Pak is 297 at just under 6 an over.

Can they do it?

They need to get off to a good solid start.

35 off 6 is not a bad start; pity we had to lose Salman Bhatt.

Man Hameed is really impressing me. His shots have been so stable and confident.

SL scored 62-0 10 overs
108-1 20 overs
156-3 30 overs
213-3-40 overs
246-6 45 overs

filosofee said:
Are you lucky chaps watching the match? (I'm cricinfo-ing)
I'm relying on PakPassion - so I'm PP'ing, so to speak.

Come on guys - lets have some score updates!!

usualy, butt would have tooken this target as a chalandge and given us a hope!

interesting to note that yasir is closing in on 2000 odi runs. i know he was one of the fastest in pakistani history to get to 1000, i wonder what the stats are on getting to 2K. in 53 matches he is averaging a very formidable 39. wonder why he has been out all this time? Hafeez has played 47 matches with only 893 runs at an average of 18. stats do tell a story there.

I don;t know why Hafeez is in the team. He plays and misses too much for an opener and is not solid as we all think. Maybe in test matches where he can block block block but here he seems to miss the ball alot and is lucky not to get bowled.

Amir said:
I don;t know why Hafeez is in the team. He plays and misses too much for an opener and is not solid as we all think. Maybe in test matches where he can block block block but here he seems to miss the ball alot and is lucky not to get bowled.
Yea I really think Pakistan missed a trick by playing him today. I guess Malik just wanted to have everyone get a match.

another 4 straight drive by hafeez, punched stright down the ground, over pitched by maharoof, 49-1

hafeez doent have technice to be international cricketer. but this is flat track. so lets hope he makes good out of it

Amir said:
Agreed, its his bowling that has kept him in the side for this long I presume.

Amir said:
Hes gonna get a ton today - mark my words!

Rana said:
usualy, butt would have tooken this target as a chalandge and given us a hope!

Oh, your spellings and writing style are sooooo cute, are you in Pakistan? It's usually for "usualy", taken for "tooken" and challenge for "chalandge" but don't you let my pedantic grammarian attitude get in the way of your novel language-use :)

ps my younger sis is named Ra'na

kablooee87 said:
Yea I really think Pakistan missed a trick by playing him today. I guess Malik just wanted to have everyone get a match.
i dunno why you guys are complaining,, he is playing good so far, pakistan's first 50 is up in 8.5 overs

filosofee said:
Oh, your spellings and writing style are sooooo cute, are you in Pakistan? It's usually for "usualy", taken for "tooken" and challenge for "chalandge" but don't you let my pedantic grammarian attitude get in the way of your novel language-use :)

ps my younger sis is named Ra'na
lol yeah dont hate on a player, its probably not his first language :)

The biggest problem for Hafeez is that he either goes for 4 or NOTHING. He should start hitting in the gaps for quick singles and doubles to release pressure of scoring boundaries.

swazigold said:
i dunno why you guys are complaining,, he is playing good so far, pakistan's first 50 is up in 8.5 overs
credit to him, he's played some good shots. But there have been too many silly plays and misses for my liking. Let's see how he does though, could be a good one today.

Hameed, btw, although maybe not getting the same results, just looks good today.

Waseem said:
The biggest problem for Hafeez is that he either goes for 4 or NOTHING. He should start hitting in the gaps for quick singles and doubles to release pressure of scoring boundaries.

thats problem for all top order of pak

kablooee87 said:
credit to him, he's played some good shots. But there have been too many silly plays and misses for my liking. Let's see how he does though, could be a good one today.

Hameed, btw, although maybe not getting the same results, just looks good today.
yeah thats true, but i have a feeling he will come good for us today, iA

Hafeez in the wars - hit on the face of the helmet and then rapped on the hands next ball!

What is going on why aren't these two making any singles and 2's???

8.6 Maharoof to Hameed, no run, fuller length delivery outside the off stump, Hameed reaches for it and drives it straight to the fielder at mid off

8.5 Maharoof to Hafeez, 1 run, fuller length delivery on the off, Hafeez gets forward and pushes it to mid off with soft hands for a quick single, good running between the wickets

8.4 Maharoof to Hafeez, no run, short of length delivery outside the off stump, Hafeez goes on the backfoot and looks to cut it away, misses it completely

8.3 Maharoof to Hafeez, FOUR!!, full and wide outside the off stump again, Hafeez gets on top of that one and drives it to long off for four, no chance for the fielder in the circle to cut it off, he is a treat to watch when he gets going

8.2 Maharoof to Hafeez, no run, full and wide outside off again on that occasion, Hafeez comes on the frontfoot and looks to go for the same shot, misses it completely, too ambitious on that occasion was Hafeez

8.1 Maharoof to Hafeez, FOUR!!, fuller length delivery outside the off stump, Hafeez leans into the shot and drives it between extra cover and long off for four, that was caressed away, lovely looking shot that!!!

I suspect that someone might have had a word with Hameed. His last two innings have just looked more positive and suitable for ODI cricket.

filosofee said:
"hate on a player"? Is that a euphemism :)
lol sorry i live in d town(detroit) so please dont mind my unorthodox form of english, i usually do speak proper british english though, i am not from here :)

UJ said:
I suspect that someone might have had a word with Hameed. His last two innings have just looked more positive and suitable for ODI cricket.
yeah they have, i just hope this doesnt get to his head, coz he gets over confident easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back