Andre Russell - A potential superstar?

Rana

Hall of Famer
Runs
He has it all, can bat, can bowl, can hit big, can bowl quick, is tall, has style.

Can he be the next genuine all-ropunder of world cricket after Flintoff and Razzaq???

Dujon said on commentary that he was speaking to Viv Richards and he thinks that rusell can be the next kallis

Lets not get carried away here.

Kallis? Flintoff? Abdul Razzaq? - Long long time to go before coming even close.

I started laughing when they talked about him being the next 'Kallis'.

He has potential to be a good bowling allrounder. But unless he continuously improves, I don't see him having a bowling average less than 28 and a batting average of above 28.

Early days, however the potential to become a superstar is certainly there. He needs a solid run in the side and a promotion in the batting order.

Too early to say anything, he is not even a regular player in the West Indies XI.

Once Taylor, Edwards and Dwayne Bravo come in, he will find it difficult to be in the team.

And as a bowler he isn't that great either, was quite wayward in the previous match.

Lets not get carried away here.

Kallis? Flintoff? Abdul Razzaq? - Long long time to go before coming even close.

WI commies for you :)))
At 48.5 one of them said, ''They need to play all the overs left'' :)))

Well he has got talent really, not Kallis but the next Pollard may be :inti

Leave him in peace will u.Thank god people like kallis or cairns had so much less pressure that time.

Now why do you start these threads, have no clue.to Bump and laugh at him when he fails next match,then praise him if he plays well in the next and the cycle goes on

May be the next Flintoff or the next Razzaq if he justifies the early promise shown throughout his career, but, Kallis is a long way ahead.

Definately deserves a place in the playing eleven. Still stumped as to why he wasn't given a go against us in the WC quarter-final.

Yes

A far better prospect than Pollard in my opinion, and I wouldn't mind him taking his place

this guy showed his class agaimst england in the world cup. i bet that every time he plays egland from now on, he will destroy them like razzler does.

Forget Pollard :)) That guy should stay in India

Andre Russell should become one of West Indies best players for the next 10 years

Good hard working cricketer with pace and one who can hit a few shots but not a superstar.

I'm really impressed with him. He has a nice action and can clock 85+ mph effortlessly ball after ball. A little bit more consistency in his L&L and he can be lethal. Batting-wise he has the technique and the power to clear the boundary. Also runs very well between the wickets which most of the West Indian batsman can't do. A possible future no. 6 or 7 for the West Indies. And a very good one at that.

exciting player. May turn out to be a superstar for the windies in limited over format

I like his bowling and his celebration, I have another reason now to support WI.

134008.2.jpg

Last edited:
gayle
simmons
barath
darren bravo
samuels
baugh
russell
sammy
bishoo
roach
rampaul

if baugh can develop , barath returns, samuels finds form , and as long as chanderpaul , sarwan, and pollard stay away from this team , they have aa future

Great Windian prospect and good for world cricket where there is a serious lack of genuine allrounders (that too fast bowling) and the excitement they bring with them.

Welcome to Intl Cricket young man. Do well in your career and revive the spark in caribbean cricket.

He is pretty good. West Indies do have talented all rounders. Its just that the board is doing well that is why team is so down. With proper guidance they should do well at least in the shorter formats.

people should stop comparing him to kallis. let him charter his own path. ricardo powell and marlon samuels were compared to sir viv. and now look what happened.

russell is a promising talent. but he has played like 1 test and 9-10 odis. let him be.

people should stop comparing him to kallis. let him charter his own path. ricardo powell and marlon samuels were compared to sir viv. and now look what happened.

russell is a promising talent. but he has played like 1 test and 9-10 odis. let him be.

its not about what hes done in those games, its the skill he has shown that leads me to belive that he has it in him to make it big.

he will become another pollard i reckon, go to the the t20 leagues and loose it. the commentators were already talking about an ipl deal for him

he will become another pollard i reckon, go to the the t20 leagues and loose it. the commentators were already talking about an ipl deal for him

Pollard is a crap bowler and a slogger.

Russell is mainly a bowler but is a good batsmen.

Russell is not that good a bowler. Or a batsman. He's doing well now but he needs to improve drastically to even be considered alongside any contemporary allrounders.

Russell is not that good a bowler. Or a batsman. He's doing well now but he needs to improve drastically to even be considered alongside any contemporary allrounders.

What? no he doesnt, he is only 23 years old and is showing his class. He proved something in the wc and played brilliantly against India for that 92*. Hes well on the right track.

That 92* was very very good, but he's pretty inconsistent at this stage. Look at his last 10 matches, he did zero against Pakistan, his bowling is sometimes very expensive and his batting is at the moment looking his stronger suit (and he's batting at 9 lol), shouldn't place too many expectations on someone so new to the international stage.

That 92* was very very good, but he's pretty inconsistent at this stage. Look at his last 10 matches, he did zero against Pakistan, his bowling is sometimes very expensive and his batting is at the moment looking his stronger suit (and he's batting at 9 lol), shouldn't place too many expectations on someone so new to the international stage.

Great players have humble starts.

Crap players also have humble beginnings lol :)) I actually rate Russell, it's just way too early to start comparisons.

The thing Russell has on his side is excellent domestic stats, both batting and bowling

The likes of Pollard and DJ Bravo don't, well Pollard has decent stats in bowling, though is only a part time bowler, and his batting stats aren't good.

Better to invest in this guy rather than guys like Pollard or Bravo.

At the moment, I don't think he deserves a spot as a fast bowler in the team, with Roach and Rampaul ahead of him, and Sammy well he has to be in the team anyway. I would not mind him playing in pollard's spot or Sammy focus more on his batting to bring Russell in

dont forget he was playing against India bowling attack???????????
let him face AUSSIE, PAK, ENG, SA bowling attack and then we will say somthing about him...now way too early

I don't normally buy into the youngsta hype but I first spotted this lad last year on the A tour of England, a match where he smashed 42 off 21 balls and took 2-3 wickets, along with other good performances. Since then I've been stalking, er I mean tracking, his progress. That 49 and 4/49 along with the 92* and the 4/35 today are a fine start to his career. He's an energetic, athletic fella and I hope he succeeds InshaAllah.

This man is a beast. Has potential to be a great odi allrounder. I rate his batting higher than Pollard.

His batting is much better than Razzaq and Flintoff in terms of technique

Needless to day, he can bring some spark back into West indies cricket

Beast.. :afridi

Eussel can play spin really well unlike other hitters.
Got pace but needs to improve his bowling

Windies have a lot of young talent that needs to be nurtured.

I think , WI have played decent cricket in patches. They need to find one or two top order batsman who can stay at the wicket for an extended period.

Their bowling is pretty decent so I feel optimistic about WI playing better cricket in future. They need to win few games against top sides to get confidence.

russell is the next viv richards

avg of 33 with a sr of 124 in odis :O

Sammy has no talent. He's just a gutsy player.

Russel is far more talented than Pollard.

he needs a to find a permanent place in the team first up, forget the superstar status

talented bloke but any comparison at this stage would be silly

Sammy's Talent | Russell vs Pollard.

Sammy has no talent. He's just a gutsy player.

Russel is far more talented than Pollard.

Disagree, every player obviously has talent if they are playing international cricket. Even domestic cricketers have to have talent however Sammy doesn't posses the same amount of talent which his colleagues have. He is a gutsy player as you mentioned.

Russell is a real talented cricketer however I wouldn't say he is FAR more talented then Pollard. Pollard is an immensely talented cricketer and his innings today showed that. He just needs some confidence to be instilled into him self and today's innings should help him A LOT.

@ BD

Today is the first time Pollard played spin well. But still he might struggle against quality spin.
But this guy Russel seems to be a real good player of spin. :19:

On the bowling front Russel is miles ahead of Pollard, he effortlessly bowls arnd 140++. :)

he needs a to find a permanent place in the team first up, forget the superstar status

talented bloke but any comparison at this stage would be silly

What's ridiculous is that Russel is sometimes left out in place of Sammy.

Makes no sense to me.

Will be a hot property in the upcoming IPL auction

Last edited:
russell, rampaul both will be going for some good bucks in ipl auction....if wi dont have a series during the ipl.

Played a solid innings today. That six off Manoj Tiwary was awesome! Ran himself out unnecessarily. Had he just continued with Pollard WI would have won comfortably. I really like the look of him. He can be a regular at no. 7 or even 6 IMO. As a batsman Russell is better than Dwayne Bravo. He smashed a FC century for the A team against Bangladesh A last month when everyone else in his team got out for 10s and 20s. Great prospect. Hope he has his priorities right.

Some of his hits are Gaylish. :19:

[utube]flve4LYonkA[/utube]

Audio/Video sync is missing in this video. :|
[utube]rBlErcB9gP0[/utube]

So 3+ years on what do people now make of Russell? He's been very good in domestic T20 competitions but he's still very hit and miss when playing for the WIs.

Ever since I saw him I rated his batting more than his bowling which was worrying as he was playing as a bowling all rounder but now I think they've realised his strength is in his batting and explosive finishing in particular and are using him better. I still think he could make better use of his talent though.

He strikes me a as player in the mold of your Pollards, Samy, Afridi type players.
Who are basicaly nothing cricketers.

All poor versions of Symonds and Klusner.

has to be one of the most talented cricketers I have ever seen, extremely gifted with power, hand eye co-ordination & athleticism.

up to him if he wants to take the easy way out & become a showtime T20 star or really work hard and become a Test/ODI player of genuine quality.

Back