Andy Flower : Coaching Performance Watch

Pakpassion been overtaken by EnglishPassion:boycott too many England related threads.

@topic Since he became the coach he's really transformed this side into a very good unit. Job Well done!

Pakpassion been overtaken by EnglishPassion:boycott too many England related threads.

@topic Since he became the coach he's really transformed this side into a very good unit. Job Well done!

To be fair, Pakistani fans seem to have taken more delight in our series win over India than we English fans.

He has a stable and calm mind which is really good for a head coach. He doesn't seem as enthusiastic or a talent hunter like Woolmer but that is prob. b/c of the English setup. The good thing about him, as mentioned in the article, is that he has shown consistency. But this also meant that he showed lack of foresight by being hesitant in trying Monty Panesar for the first test against India. Constant selection of Bresnan/Broady, just b/c of their batting, is also a negative to my eyes.

But overall good head and the right man for the job.

Last edited:
IMO he is the most under rated wicket keeper as well. I would put him on par with Gilchrist and maybe even select him over Gilly if the Test match is in the sub continent.

Under-rated player and coach. Doing a great job for Eng as he did for Zim.

A bit of a cry baby, but has done well with england given their resources.

The same resources were stagnating and were set to be wasted away before he took over in 2008-09.

Just watched the film The Edge tonight.

He comes off as a horrendous man manager.

The former England head coach is leaving after 12 years working with elite and emerging players. He became assistant coach in 2007, head coach in 2009 and since 2014 has been coach of the England Lions. Now he looks back at some of the highlights of his time working with elite and emerging players.

Not many Zimbabweans, as Andy Flower admits, get the chance to be involved in four Ashes series. With characteristic modesty, Flower neglects to add that this particular Zimbabwean won three of them.

Mind you, Flower himself says he doesn’t see himself as a Zimbabwean coach any more after 12 years as an integral part of the England set-up.

“It’s been a real privilege,” says Flower, who was appointed assistant coach to Peter Moores in 2007, took over as head coach two years later and switched in 2014 to England Lions, working with “hungry young cricketers who have all their dreams ahead of them”.

Before Flower moves on to new challenges, he looks back at his time with ECB and pays tribute to many people who worked alongside him in his various roles.

Memorable successes overseas stand out

One of the many successes for which Flower will be remembered is taking England to No.1 in the Test rankings in 2011. But there are particular victories that will live long in the memory.

“The Ashes victory in 2010-11 stands out,” he says. “It’s difficult to win in Australia and to do it so comprehensively was a really proud moment in my coaching career. It was wonderful to watch those young men take on that challenge successfully and have a great time doing it.

“The win in India in 2012-13 was a highlight too, to overcome some great players in tough spinning conditions was a special victory.

“So was the T20 World Cup win in 2010. The way we played our cricket, with such freedom and aggression, really was fun to be part of.”

I’d like to thank…

Flower is generous in his gratitude to, and praise for, a host of people. They include Peter Moores, who gave him that first opportunity at England level, and Hugh Morris and Giles Clarke, the MD and Chairman of England cricket respectively, who made him head coach in 2009.

“When people place their trust in you like that it gives you a tremendous sense of confidence and I will always remember that”.

Flower says it was a highlight to spend time with Graham Gooch, who invited him over as a player at Essex and later worked alongside him as England batting coach. Staff behind the scenes such as John Carr, Medha Laud and Phil Neale all get a mention too.

He adds: “I’d like to thank the captains I worked with longest, Alastair Cook and Andrew Strauss, for their commitment and friendship over the years.

“It’s been a privilege to work with all the players. Sometimes, in high-pressure environments, as a coach and a mentor you hold a very responsible position.

“You end up sharing some really intimate moments – over a beer in the dressing room, working hard together in the nets, or listening to a personal problem and helping them work through that – and it’s a privilege to be able to contribute and influence these young guys’ lives.”

Our superb supporters

Flower has special words of thanks for all English cricket fans. “We’ve just had a wonderful summer seeing amazing things on a cricket field and there’s been such keen support for the game and the England team – it’s really uplifting to be part of.

“As for the Barmy Army, what an amazing and special bunch of fans. Wherever you go in the world, however you are doing, whether you are thumping Australia in Adelaide or struggling against Bangladesh in Dhaka, they are singing with the same heart.

“That epitomises resilience and spirt and for an England player or staff member it’s a lovely feeling to be supported in that way.”

Strong backing for Silverwood

Chris Silverwood, the new England head coach, and Flower go back a long way. Flower was on the opposing side when Silverwood made his Test debut in Bulawayo in 1996, and the pair worked together with the Lions.

“I’m really happy for Chris that he’s getting the chance to lead England and I think he’s going to do a great job,” says Flower. “I also want to wish Mo Bobat, the new performance director, all the best in his new role.”

As for Flower, he is taking some time away from the game. “I haven’t had a sustained break for quite a long time,” he says. When he does return, it’s more likely to be in the world of franchise cricket than the international game.

Flower believes English cricket is stronger than it was 12 years ago, particularly financially. “We’re moving into an exciting phase of trying a new format,” he says. “England brought in T20 cricket and now we’re leading on the innovation front again and I really hope that is successful.

“I will still be based in England and I will continue to watch English cricket very keenly – it has a very bright future.”

Senior ECB figures pay tribute

Ashley Giles, managing director, England men’s cricket, says: “Andy moves on with every best wish from all of us at ECB for his outstanding contribution to the English game over the last 12 years.

“It has been a pleasure working with Andy, who sets such high standards of professionalism and preparation for the teams he leads. I have no doubt he will enjoy further success in the years to come.

Tom Harrison, chief executive of ECB, says: “Andy Flower leaves a legacy of extraordinary success align his various roles at ECB. He was instrumental in changing the England’s men’s fortunes, particularly in the Test team, culminating in the ultimate achievement of the time, reaching the states ambition of becoming the No.1 ranked Test side in the world in 2011.

“During that time, under his leadership, England claimed the Ashes away in Australia and the T20 World Cup on 2010, the first time an England men’s team had won an ICC trophy of any kind. It is truly a record to be extremely proud of.

“Andy’s contribution has been immense and it has been a privilege to work with him. He leaves us with the sincere gratitude of all at ECB, and I am sure that of all England Cricket fans too and of course with our best wishes for his future.”

Burned bright for a couple of years before driving that team - Pietersen, Trott, Strauss, Prior, Swann etc - off the edge of a cliff.

Still, it's the most success England have had in half a century so they'll take it I'm sure.

KOLKATA: Over the past couple of months, athletes have used sport as a platform to highlight racism and other forms of injustice, giving voice to the Black-Lives-Matter campaign following the death of George Floyd.

Seventeen years ago, Zimbabwe’s most successful player Andy Flower joined hands with his country’s first black cricketer Henry Olonga to take a bold stand against President Robert Mugabe’s regime with a black-armbands-protest during the 2003 World Cup.

Flower is now busy in the ongoing Caribbean Premier League as St Lucia Zouks’ head coach before joining Anil Kumble’s Kings XI Punjab as his assistant in the upcoming IPL.

The 52-year-old spoke at length about that bold stand, cricket in the time of pandemic and more in an e-mail interview with TOI.

ON CRICKET WITHOUT SPECTATORS AND IN PANDEMIC

Yes, it’s a strange experience, especially in the Caribbean where the crowd is loud and they have parties in the stands and emits really a vibrant spirit. So without all this, the game is different. But I don’t think the Covid-19 restrictions have not taken free spirit away from the game. The series in England between England and West Indies and later England and Pakistan have showcased that the commitment of players and standard of the game have been of really good quality. The CPL is the first franchise tournament that is played during the pandemic and the high-profile IPL is coming up. Some people may also find it difficult to deal with the isolation and I believe as coaches, we need to focus on their mental aspects, and through our experiences, help and guide them to fulfil their expectations. Credit to the organisers and players for bringing cricket back on track.

ON JOINING WITH KUMBLE AND KXIP’S CHANCES IN THE IPL

I know that Anil is an intelligent man full of integrity and that he will be hungry not only as a leader but for our group to fulfil our potential.

And if we get anywhere near fulfilling our potential we can get into the playoffs. We have quite a big squad out there so we have a plenty of opportunities to get to know these young guys and help them realize their dream.

ON SUCCESSES AS ENGLAND’S COACH

One thing I have learned over the years after making many mistakes as a captain, and also making many mistakes as a coach of England that, if your intent is to serve your group, you are in a much healthier position to be a leader.

Sometimes as a younger leader I made some obvious mistakes, not recognizing and understanding the need of serving the group.

This is a fundamental tenet of leadership. It’s nice getting recognition as a leader and I am very proud of three Ashes triumphs as well as winning the World T20. And I am also proud of the fact that many young people grew as skillful cricketers during my time with the English team. But it is just not the wins or tournament triumphs that you are proud of. There are hundreds of smaller things that people don’t know about, that I’m proud of as well.

ON BLACK-ARMBANDS-PROTEST DURING THE 2003 WORLD CUP

We have long known about the power of sports people making stands. The American stand at the Berlin Olympics is a very obvious and famous example. The sporting sanctions against South Africa was a very powerful message to the South Africans that they could not get away against those injustices perpetrated in their country (during the Apartheid). Henry and I tried to draw the world’s attention to the human rights abuses that were happening in Zimbabwe at that time. It was an opportunity we could not quite grasp. Sports people are lucky enough to have a platform which can be used to make powerful statements. I think it’s time we brought an end to racism in many parts of the world.

ON CRICKETING CAREER

Even during my time (as a player) and even today, I still love listening to the debates about who is the greatest batsman: Sachin or Lara. But as a flag-bearer of cricket in our small country I was lucky enough to get exposure and compete against the best around the world. But those were early days as a team as we were fighting to justify the Test status that was given to us. That provided most of our motivation in that we were fighting for Zimbabwe as a cricketing name. Was my career under-appreciated? Honestly, I haven’t thought about that. Would I be more successful had I played now? I would love to play T20 cricket, definitely.

ON EVOLUTION OF CRICKET SINCE HIS RETIREMENT

I started playing a bit of T20 for Essex before I retired and, to be honest, I had found it a bit gimmicky. I didn't have the vision to see what it would become in future. Obviously T20 has taken off and even T10 cricket is being played now. I was involved in a T10 meet in Abu Dhabi last year and I loved it. I think it may give cricket a chance to represent in the Commonwealth or Olympic Games.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/c...ism-says-andy-flower/articleshow/77964375.cms

Just watched the film The Edge tonight.

He comes off as a horrendous man manager.

It was a bit of a shark tank but he achieved a fair bit as coach, how do you rate him?

It was a bit of a shark tank but he achieved a fair bit as coach, how do you rate him?

Well one thing you could never accuse Andy Flower of is a lack of preparation.

Compare what you saw of Flower in The Edge to Misbah and Waqar who wouldn't know the words research and planning if tattooed on their foreheads.

Well one thing you could never accuse Andy Flower of is a lack of preparation.

Compare what you saw of Flower in The Edge to Misbah and Waqar who wouldn't know the words research and planning if tattooed on their foreheads.

I felt Misbah was meant to be a clever guy, educated and all in the sciences; but he has been so out of his depth and Waqar just has that knack for being paid for showing up and then talking like Albert Einstein in the commentary booth after his stint ends. Flower was obsessed with his planning and for all the lows it served him really well, a real pro and a bloke who could get the best out of you for the most part when you got along nicely with him

Pakistan should try to get Andy Flower as the coach. I feel this man can transform Team Pakistan.

We could have appointed him and we chose Misbah. Awful decision. Even if Flower wouldn't have turned us into a winning machine , I am absolutely certain he would have improved some players.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/andy-flower-appointed-head-coach-of-ipl-s-lucknow-franchise-101639742936202.html

Former Zimbabwe captain Andy Flower was on Friday appointed as the head coach of the yet-to-be-named Lucknow franchise, which will make its debut in the 2022 Indian Premier League.

Flower was working with Punjab Kings as assistant coach for the past two seasons.

KL Rahul, who was Punjab's skipper for the last two seasons, is also expected to move to the Sanjiv Goenka-owned franchise.

"I am incredibly excited to be joining the new Lucknow franchise and I am very grateful for the opportunity. Since my very first tour to India in 1993, I have always loved touring, playing and coaching in India," said Flower in a statement.

"The passion for cricket in India is unrivalled and it is a real privilege to lead an IPL franchise and I am looking forward to working closely with Dr Goenka and the Lucknow team.

"I will relish the challenge to build something meaningful and successful with the Lucknow franchise, I am looking forward to meeting the management and staff when I visit Uttar Pradesh in the new year."

Goenka added: "As a player and a Coach Andy has left an indelible mark in the history of cricket . We respect his professionalism and hope he will work with our vision and add value to our team."

The Zimbabwean great, who coached England to the T20 World Cup title in 2010 and also the number one spot in Test rankings, is at the helm of Punjab Kings owned franchise in the Caribbean Premier League -- Saint Lucia Kings.

The Goenka-led RP-SG Group had shelled out ₹7090 crore to own the Lucknow franchise.

Back