Australia V England - 2nd test Adelaide (Day 1)

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Australia lead the 5 match series 1-0 going into this 2nd test. Australia will look to possibly going into this match with same X1, Glen Mcgrath is a possible injury doubt (A re-run of edgbaston 2005??) For England Saj mahmood or Monty panesar could come in For Jimmy Anderson.

The toss has been said to be crucial, the Aussies have wracked up 500+ 3 times here in Last 4 test matches. So england may be hoping they can win the toss and bat 1st and bat well.

Australias record in Adelaide

Played 64 - Won 32 Lost 16 Drawn 16

In last 10 test played Australia have won 8, lost 1, drawn 1

Australia v england @ adelaide head to head

played 28 - Australia wins 15 , England wins 8 wins , 5 draws

So is it fightback time for England or will Aussies get closer to regaining the urn they lost in 2005?

An intresting Day 1 looms. :)

thanks for the info.
it will be very interesting if McGrath doesn't make the team like last series

another day where you have ashes, then WI-Pak and then the Twenty20 in SA when Pak match ends

Last edited:
PlanetPakistan said:
oh it's today??/What the heck..Why didn't i know???

The hype is only when England win other wise ashes has been average series.

You'll know in 14 minutes. Would be a travesty. Would also suggest Fletcher and Flintoff are still living in the delusional world of "Ashes 2005".

lmao!!!!!!!
what a joke, england must be the stupidest team in the world, roflmao

What the hell does Anderson have to do to be dropped?

He's probably confused himself.

Giles ahead of Panesar is a joke... AGAIN.

Last edited:
this is hilarious, the love fletcher feels for giles is going beyond the extreme

Fletcher. What a joker :)) :)) :))

Well England will be batting, so thats good for them

that's good atleast they won the toss.....now we might see a good game but where the heck is MONTY??

ridiculous decision from England.... cannot believe that Giles is being picked ahead of Monty. England deserve to lose for having such a defensive attitude.

I'm sure Ponting would have batted if he'd won the toss. This is going to be a long couple of days chasing leather in the field for the OZ - looks like a typical Adelaide belter of a pitch, true bounce and great for batting, but still offers some sideways movement and a little bit of swing for the bowlers if they can take advantage of it (not a flat track in the classic sense but a true wicket which offers opportunities for both the bowlers and the batsmen). Patience is the key here.

Last edited:
PlanetPakistan said:
really looks like a pitch where monty could be handy

Don't think so. Not really a spinner's track. But he'd probably be more handy than Farmer Giles.

OZGOD said:
This is going to be a long couple of days chasing leather in the field for the OZ - looks like a typical Adelaide belter of a pitch, true bounce and great for batting, but still offers some sideways movement and a little bit of swing for the bowlers if they can take advantage of it (not a flat track in the classic sense but a true wicket which offers opportunities for both the bowlers and the batsmen. Patience is the key here.

how big will be the Warne factor? and how big a mistake is it to leave out Monty?

PlanetPakistan said:
how big will be the Warne factor? and how big a mistake is it to leave out Monty?

I don't think it's a huge mistake - the keys to this match will be Hoggard and Anderson - if they can support Freddie then the Poms will be in business. Harmy needs to make inroads with the new ball early but the bounce here will not be as high as the Gabba.

Panesar would've been handy, but the Adelaide wicket isn't really a spinner's track. The most Warney's taken here is 8fer for a match.

OZGOD said:
I don't think it's a huge mistake - the keys to this match will be Hoggard and Anderson - if they can support Freddie then the Poms will be in business. Harmy needs to make inroads with the new ball early but the bounce here will not be as high as the Gabba.

Panesar would've been handy, but the Adelaide wicket isn't really a spinner's track. The most Warney's taken here is 8fer for a match.
Yea he wasn't really successful in the 90s but last year he took a 6 fer against the WI....

The pitch looks pretty flat, no grass on it, and even the commentators calling it a pancake, so why isn't the whole world B****ing about this pitch like they do every subcontinental pitch

PlanetPakistan said:
heard that its a good ground for reverse swing!

You're in love with reverse swing eh mate. :))) Grounds in OZ in general are not too conducive to reverse swing because the outfields are generally very lush and the squares are well kept - there's not that much chance for the ball to get too scuffed up, which you need to reverse it.

jafrioh said:
The pitch looks pretty flat, no grass on it, and even the commentators calling it a pancake, so why isn't the whole world B****ing about this pitch like they do every subcontinental pitch

Because it's a typical Adelaide belter of a pitch, true bounce and great for batting, but still offers some sideways movement and a little bit of swing for the bowlers if they can take advantage of it (not a flat track in the classic sense but a true wicket which offers opportunities for both the bowlers and the batsmen). It should produce a result on Day 5.

EDIT: Stats from Channel 9 show that 93% of all Tests played at the Adelaide Oval have produced a result, and that in the last 15 Tests played here, only one was drawn, in 1997-98. That's why the whole world isn't bitching about this pitch - it produces results.

Last edited:
OZGOD said:
You're in love with reverse swing eh mate. :))) Grounds in OZ in general are not too conducive to reverse swing because the outfields are generally very lush and the squares are well kept - there's not that much chance for the ball to get too scuffed up, which you need to reverse it.
I am Ian Botham in disguise...i thought you would have figured it out by now!

Strauss gone, that was an ordinary way to be dismissed. Clark's been in sizzling form recently. Strauss will be disappointed to miss out.

OZGOD said:
Strauss gone, that was an ordinary way to be dismissed. Clark's been in sizzling form recently. Strauss will be disappointed to miss out.
during his 20s he was a 'fringe player' for NSW :O

Question for OzGod or anyone else who knows....

Did Warne have a slidder when he made his test debut? or did he develop it later? :20:

The average innings score here is 350. I'd say par for the 1st innings would be about 450 or something.

Ok these radio commentators should know better......

This guy thinks M Yousuf was captaining the PAK team in the CT....and doesn't even know if Inzi is back or not

PlanetPakistan said:
Question for OzGod or anyone else who knows....

Did Warne have a slidder when he made his test debut? or did he develop it later? :20:

He's had it for many years, but I can't remember if he had it when he started.

I may have to eat my words regarding Panesar. He could've been useful on this pitch I think, judging from the turn Warne's getting.

And Clark gets another, late swing, nicked through to the keeper. Cook gone for 27, England 2-45. Geez this bloke is bowling well. He set up Cook beautifully with that.

Oooohhhhhhh that was very close to the offstump, slider from Warney nearly bowls Bell.

Desperate to get off strike, Bell hacks away at a delivery and manages to push it through the mid-off area to take a single.

LOL, Bell looks so comical against Warney. He's got no idea out there. Played and missed and nearly got bowled again.

Bell desperate to get off strike against Warne but can't beat the inner ring of fielders. Will he go over the top and sweep with a man at deep square leg?

Phoarrr the camera just panned to some hotties in the crowd. Beautiful day in Adelaide and the crowd enjoying themselves on the hill.

Australia will be very happy with this start. The pitch looks a belter.

OZGOD said:
I may have to eat my words regarding Panesar. He could've been useful on this pitch I think, judging from the turn Warne's getting.
I told you without even looking at the pitch and just listening to the radio.

And that's lunch, 2-58 after 28 overs.

England 58/2 (27.6 ov)
Australia
England won the toss and elected to bat first

Day 1 - Session 1 England RR 2.08
Last 10 ovs 17/1 RR 1.70

Min overs remaining 65.1
Full scorecard

Hours of play: 11 start, Lunch 13-13.40, Tea 15.40-16.00, Close 18.00
Current time: 13:00 local, 02:30 GMT

Test career
Batsmen Runs B 4s 6s SR This bowler Last 10 ovs Mat Runs Ave
*PD Collingwood (rhb) 8 22 0 0 36.36 1 (12b) 8 (22b) 17 1136 42.07
IR Bell (rhb) 9 44 0 0 20.45 2 (17b) 5 (28b) 20 1346 46.41

Bowlers O M R W Econ Current spell Mat Wkts Ave
*SK Warne (lbg) 5.5 2 7 0 1.20 (0nb, 0w) 5.5-2-7-0 142 689 25.33
SR Clark (rfm) 8.0 0 15 2 1.87 (0nb, 0w) 8-0-15-2 6 30 16.73

England going at a sizzling run rate.

Players on the field. opera music being played for English batsman walking in

it's the 38th over....any reverse swing yet? I have heard this ground is good for reverse swing

so.....is it hard to score runs on this pitch or is this just a typical aus>>>eng situation giong on here....

Back