Bangladesh [288/3] beat Zimbabwe [286/5] by 7 wickets in the 3rd ODI to win series 3-0

giri26

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Zimbabwe are seeking a first ODI win in Bangladesh since 2010 as the three-match series comes to its conclusion in Chittagong on Friday.

Overview
Bangladesh v Zimbabwe
3rd ODI
Zohur Ahmed Chowdhury Cricket Stadium, Chittagong
Friday 26 October, 14:30 PM local time, 09:30 AM BST

Recent history is not in Zimbabwe's favour as they go into the third and final ODI of this series in Chittagong. The series is already out of their hands, they have lost their last 10 ODIs in Bangladesh and haven't won a game in this format since the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Qualifier in March.

Their form offers grim reading for Zimbabwean fans, but they have shown signs of promise. In their recent series against South Africa, they twice took early wickets to worry the hosts but it was their batting – they were bowled out for under 120 in the first two games of the series – that let them down.

A concern for Bangladesh going into the series would have been at the top of the order. With their leading run-scorer in ODI cricket, Tamim Iqbal, ruled out with injury, it was important that Imrul Kayes and Liton Das could fill the void. They have done so in emphatic fashion. Kayes in particular has been in sublime form, scoring 234 runs across the first two games, whilst Das' 83 in the second ODI helped Bangladesh chase down Zimbabwe's total of 246 with ease.

Early wickets, something they managed to do against South Africa, will be crucial.

Bangladesh have added Soumya Sarkar to their squad for the final ODI. Although normally an opener, there is a chance that he'll come into the side at number seven. His medium-pace bowling would also be an asset.

Key players

Imrul Kayes (Bangladesh): Kayes' form is one of the main reasons Bangladesh have wrapped up the series with a game to spare. The form of both Kayes and Das at the top of the order raises an interesting conundrum for when Tamim returns to full fitness. If they continue to play in this manner, it will become impossible to leave one of them out.

Tendai Chatara (Zimbabwe): Wickets early doors will be crucial for Zimbabwe and Chatara is a player capable of doing so. He was in good form against South Africa, taking early wickets in the first two ODIs of that series.

Squads

Bangladesh: Liton Das, Nazmul Hossain Shanto, Imrul Kayes, Soumya Sarkar, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Mohammad Mithun, Mahmudullah, Fazle Mahmud, Mehidy Hasan, Mashrafe Mortaza (c), Rubel Hossain, Mustafizur Rahman, Abu Hider, Ariful Haque, Mohammad Saifuddin, Nazmul Islam

Zimbabwe: Hamilton Masakadza, Solomon Mire, Craig Ervine, Brendan Taylor (wk), Sean Williams, Sikandar Raza, Elton Chigumbura, Wellington Masakadza, Brandon Mavuta, Kyle Jarvis, Tendai Chatara, Peter Moor, Tarisai Musakanda, Richard Ngarava, John Nyumbu, Donald Tiripano, Cephas Zhuwao

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/887581

Miraz and Mustafiz have been rested for the test series. Rabbi dropped. Somya Sarkar in in place of rabbi along with abu haider rony and ariful.

Taylor is a fantastic batsman, cricketer actually, he keeps well also. It’s unfortunate that he won’t be in WC, but in a 10 team WC either ZIM or AFGs had to miss. I am afraid where ZIM will end after few of their main players retire - most of them are well into 30s.

Today, I think ZIM is going to stress us to limit. We simply can’t play ODI without first choice 4 bowlers. And, they have replaced bowlers with part-timers, which never works, bowling first if a partnership builds.

Last edited:
Hope that zim make 320 and give a challenge to our batsmen. I would love to see our players chasing over 320 on this pitch and win. We should learn to chase 300+ successfully. We need that for WC very badly.

Debut for ariful? [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION]

What is he good at? Obviously medium pace (am not watching today - CI listed him as RAMF), isn’t his strongest asset. Is this the same guy scoring 238 in a recent FC game?

Zimbabwe will not score over 260 with this batting. Another big win for Bangladesh

What is he good at? Obviously medium pace (am not watching today - CI listed him as RAMF), isn’t his strongest asset. Is this the same guy scoring 238 in a recent FC game?

His strongest suit is his batting.he is a batting all rounder. Yes he scored 238

285 is chasable on this wicket. But if Zimbabwe bowls tight line and length they also can win with this score

He is here for batting,not bowling.

Zimbabwe have done well it patches during this tour, first game they had Ban at 139/6 and then allowed them to score 271. In the 2nd ODI after a good platform being set by Taylor an Williams, they failed to kick on and ended with a sub par total.

Now they have scored a fairly decent 286, a couple of early wickets can make it interesting.

From Bangladesh's side, I'm impressed with Saifuddin.. Nazmul, the cobra man, is also a pretty decent bowler. I hope they take them both to the WC.

Zimbabwe have done well it patches during this tour, first game they had Ban at 139/6 and then allowed them to score 271. In the 2nd ODI after a good platform being set by Taylor an Williams, they failed to kick on and ended with a sub par total.

Now they have scored a fairly decent 286, a couple of early wickets can make it interesting.

From Bangladesh's side, I'm impressed with Saifuddin.. Nazmul, the cobra man, is also a pretty decent bowler. I hope they take them both to the WC.

Both will go to england but i think apu won't make the XI. Shakib anf miraz is there for spin and bat. No need another spinner. Need pacer all rounder. So saifuddin makes it.

Zimbabwe actually fielded 3 proper bowlers. Even 350 runs will not be enough to defend. Bowlers like Willam, Sikander can in you once in a blue moon.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] sumya sarkar is back. I think the other lefty has become good now.

Congrats imrul for a brilliant century. Make it 127 to break babar's record thoug not much runs left.

Last edited:
Imrul,after return, averaged 100+. Good lad.keep the form till wc final.

Last edited:
Its too bad BD had to make due with teams like Zimbabwe and West Indies, they only gain one point from beating both,

if they had a series with Pakistan, their full side would destroy them and overtake them in ranking.

It is the 13 th straight win for Bangladesh over Zimbabwe. What a turnaround! Once BD lost 10 ODIs on traught to Zimbabwe. Sweet revenge

It is the 13 th straight win for Bangladesh over Zimbabwe. What a turnaround! Once BD lost 10 ODIs on traught to Zimbabwe. Sweet revenge

I told you, Soumya will come back. He has every tool to become an excellent LO player; now has started to bowl as well.

When Tamim comes back, it'll be a sweet headache for Management to put 4 top orders in 3 slots as Mushi MUST bat at 4. I guess, for the time being Soumya will be dropped to No. 7 as batting all-rounder and Tamim comes at 3 (or Kayes at 3). Eventually, Soumya-Liton has the potential to be our opener till 2027 WC, and they can be one of the best pair in world cricket at their prime.

I told you, Soumya will come back. He has every tool to become an excellent LO player; now has started to bowl as well.

When Tamim comes back, it'll be a sweet headache for Management to put 4 top orders in 3 slots as Mushi MUST bat at 4. I guess, for the time being Soumya will be dropped to No. 7 as batting all-rounder and Tamim comes at 3 (or Kayes at 3). Eventually, Soumya-Liton has the potential to be our opener till 2027 WC, and they can be one of the best pair in world cricket at their prime.
Soumya Liton pair will be hit or miss. Kayes although boring as hell player, ave near 50 with SR 80+ in last 4 years but only played 23 innings.

Saifuddin will only be good against lower ranked team unless he starts bowlng at 145K.

What do you think of this lineup for WC?

1 Tamim Iqbal
2 Liton Das
3 Imrul Kayes
4 Mushfiq Rahim+
5 Shakib Al Hasan
6 Mahumadullah
7 Saumya/Mithun
8 Mehidy Miraz
9 Mashrafe Mortaza©
10 Rubel Hossain
11 Mustafiz Rahman

Surprisingly Bangladesh look more balanced team than India or any Asian team for that matter.

Soumya Liton pair will be hit or miss. Kayes although boring as hell player, ave near 50 with SR 80+ in last 4 years but only played 23 innings.

Saifuddin will only be good against lower ranked team unless he starts bowlng at 145K.

What do you think of this lineup for WC?

1 Tamim Iqbal
2 Liton Das
3 Imrul Kayes
4 Mushfiq Rahim+
5 Shakib Al Hasan
6 Mahumadullah
7 Saumya/Mithun
8 Mehidy Miraz
9 Mashrafe Mortaza©
10 Rubel Hossain
11 Mustafiz Rahman

I think, batting isn't the biggest issue, never was (or other way, it had always been the strongest suit). We might head to WC with 5-6 of top 7 in good form, which always helps. As of now, I think there are 3 slots open - 2 pacers, and 2nd spinner.

Rubel is doing well, but he is not an English condition bowler, still might manage his role as he has pace and he can bowl yorkers, but Mash as 3rd pacer simply isn't going to work. He has 15+ years of experience and he is quite intelligent, therefore when defending totals, often he uses his intelligence to be ahead of batsmen, uses reverse psychology of batsman to block their shot making ability; but bowling first batting side will target him. Mash might not last till WC, and I hope he retires in grace rather than being dragged out. So, we'll have to find a new ball pacer better than Shafiul, Abu Zayed or Saifullah. It'll be great if Taskin can come back or Ebadat raising his game - few other potentials are just too raw; may be in couple of years time Shoriful & Yasin will be ready.

2nd spinner should be a Leggi - we must have to find one. In this squad there are probably 6-7 batsmen who can bowl off-spin, therefore Miraz's position shouldn't be taken for granted. There is another kid Nayeem and he is probably a better Offie than Miraz!!!, while Afif can be another off-spin all-rounder option. There are couple of Leggis around, need to try one for sure.

From batting, I think Soumya has a much bigger role to play. Heis bowling around 35 overs per FC game these days, which suggests, there is a serious effort to make him 4th seemer, which'll be fantastic in English WC. He is like 6'0", well built and bowls with a decent pace - if he can give 5-6 overs, easily can replace Mash's quota & Saifullah won't make the XI. One advantage is that both Liton & Mithun are WKs, therefore we won't need a back-up WK, one extra bowler can be picked

Liton, Kayes, Tamim
Mushi, *Shakib, Mahmudullah
Soumya, Miraz
Mustafiz, Ruble, New Pacer (Taskin?)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Mithun, Sabbir, a Leggi, Saifullah & a pacer (Ebadat?)

Good squad - will surprise few "elites".

Others don't have any lower order power. Well, SL maybe, which is another surprise.

Hardik and Pant adds to India's late order firepower. Lanka has shanaka and Perera. Pakistan hasnt had a stable finisher tho.

What helps BD is that their middle order has 3 key players Mushy Riad and Shakib. That is the is best middle in the order in the world probably but in cricket first 10 overs and last 10 overs matter so much more.

Openers scoring centuries for fun against toothless Zimbabwe don't aspire too much confidence tbh.

The standards are low for Bangladesh. Our Rayudus, Pandeys would be their best batsmen EVER.

Not really. Indian middle order is worse than Bangladesh. Shakib, Mushfiq and Mahmudullah are much better than Indian middle order. Bangladesh top order is weak, their middle order is good for last 6 years.

I am not so much delighted by this Soumya century. He won't get such freebie dibly dobly attack on a placid batting wicket to face in international cricket. Soumya was struggling big in tour of WI, Asia cup all just before this Zimbabwe tour. So this sudden century against the weakest attack in the world don't prove much that he is back in form after 2 years of below average performance. We need to see him against decent opposition.

Both Soumya and Liton are too much inconsistent to cement their place in the team. Except in the final BD was repeatedly in big trouble in Asia cup due to top order failures. Liton only delivered in the final, Soumya struggled in every match he played. They still have to go a long way to diminish our raised eyebrows about concern of top order of Bangladesh. Soumya was taken as a batsman, suddenly in last few series his bowling is being utilized. But his primary job is batting. His bowling is a bonus but he is yet to prove his worth as a bowler.Miraz is a bowling all rounder ,so if we want to take another all rounder we should take a bowling all rounder. So only for the sake to keep Soumya in the team he is being labelled as a bowling all rounder which he never was.

Nothing to be confident about the form of liton and soumya. They need to be tested against top bowling attack.

Our WC team could be

1. Tamim
2. Imrul
3. Shakib
4. Mushfiq
5. Riyadh
6. Mithun
7. Saifuddin (bat & pace)
8. Miraz
9.Mashrafee
10.Rubel/Ebadat
11. Mustafiz
( 4 pace, 2 spin +2 part time, 8 batsmen)
Reserve: Liton,Soumya, ariful,Ebadat, mosaddek

Back