Beyond The Boundary : 15 Years On - The Story of Pakistan's unlikely 2005 triumph in India

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
An absolutely riveting read by one of our most distinguished members, [MENTION=53290]Markhor[/MENTION]! and one that is sure to bring out emotions from all Pakistani fans!

===

15 Years On: The Story of Pakistan's unlikely 2005 triumph in India

It’s difficult to imagine a Pakistan team combining raw talent and flair, with grit and fighting qualities under pressure, led by a captain in full command of his dressing room post-Imran Khan. Yet 15 years ago under the unlikely duo of skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq and coach The Late Bob Woolmer, Pakistan toured India for the first time since 1999 and secured one of their greatest triumphs.

9313bbe5-9e76-41d1-be73-325f925b4d23.jpg

After the disbanding of the “Mighty Nineties” side that had entertained fans all over the world throughout the previous decade, and the debacle of the 2003 World Cup, Pakistan entered a purgatory phase. Household names such as Saeed Anwar, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis exited the stage, and in September 2003, one of the last remaining members of the 1990s team in Inzamam-ul-Haq was appointed captain. Results were rocky in Inzamam’s first year of captaincy, with Test victories over South Africa and New Zealand mixed in with a home defeat to India and a whitewash in Australia leaving Inzamam’s captaincy hanging by a thread by the time of the return series in India in the spring of 2005.

2005 saw the flourishing of the bilateral political relationship between Pakistan and India, sadly unimaginable today. The 1999 Kargil episode, and the 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament led the two nuclear armed countries to the brink of conflict. However Indian Prime Minister Atul Bihari Vajpayee announced in May 2003 he was making one final attempt to make peace with Pakistan, and restored diplomatic ties with its neighbour. Despite Vajpayee’s defeat in the 2004 elections, his successor Manmohan Singh continued dialogue with Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf. The famous 2004 “Jeet Lo Dil” series was conducted in an atmosphere of harmony and led to one of the greatest one day series in living memory. The return leg in India was highly anticipated.

Pakistan’s buildup to the series was typically chaotic. Star pacer Shoaib Akhtar was sidelined with injury, leaving the tourists with a seam bowling contingent of Mohammed Sami, Rana Naved, Abdul Razzaq and Mohammed Khalil. The media derided them as the “worst Pakistan bowling attack” in history, with former captain Mushtaq Mohammed labelling the squad as “little better than a club side”. On paper, this attack had no right to compete against India’s batting powerhouses Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag and VVS Laxman.

The First Test in Mohali confirmed these fears. After Pakistan stumbled to 312 on a belter, India proceeded to take Pakistan’s inexperienced bowling attack apart led by opener Virender Sehwag. Sehwag possessed exceptional hand eye coordination and brutalised Pakistan the previous year, most notably with a triple century in Multan. Many Pakistan fans from this era will tell you while they respected Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman – Sehwag caused most nightmares. Sehwag could make a mockery of whatever plans or field settings were in place. Scoring 173 at a strike rate of 70, Sehwag put India in prime position to strike first blood. By stumps on Day 4, Pakistan were 53 behind and already 6 wickets down in their 2nd innings.
The fifth day however saw an unexpected twist.

For years Pakistan often lacked the stomach for a fight - the grit to grind out a draw. Yet young wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal and Abdul Razzaq, eschewing his typically aggressive method of batsmanship, defied India for 56 overs. What a time for Kamran to produce his first Test hundred, and a draw demonstrated Bob Woolmer’s side had greater resilience than its more talented predecessors.

The smiles soon wore off. Having failed to put away the tourists in Mohali, India found its killer instinct in Kolkata. Rahul Dravid amassed a mammoth 270 in the deciding Test in Rawalpindi the previous year, and produced twin centuries in the 2nd Test with Pakistan having no answer to The Wall’s impeccable technique. However, the Kolkata Test was the turning point for one man.

Younis Khan’s international career up until that Test is best described as underwhelming. The team manager reportedly told him after twin failures in Mohali he was “finished”, and few tears would’ve been shed amongst Pakistan fans had that been Younis’s last Test. However, Younis produced a stunning career turnaround. A hundred in the 1st innings prompted a defiant celebration, and paved the road for Younis Khan to become Pakistan’s most prolific Test batsman. Nevertheless, India proved too strong and familiar foe Anil Kumble prevented another fifth day rearguard.

The Bangalore Test was Inzamam’s 100th and scene of Pakistan’s famous 1987 series win under Imran Khan. It would take an effort of epic proportions to level the series, and Pakistan produced just that. But first, Pakistan needed an answer to Anil Kumble. Kumble famously took a ten-fer in Delhi in 1999 and appeared to have the psychological edge over Pakistan’s batsmen.

Younis Khan and Inzamam-ul-Haq however proceeded to dominate one of the great legspinners in an exhibition of how to play spin bowling. Neither allowed Kumble to settle, using their feet superbly and swept him to distraction. Kumble emerged with 0-159 from 46 overs, his worst performance hitherto in a Test innings. There have been many outstanding Younis Khan innings, but none tops his 267 in the searing Bangalore heat.

As the first two Tests demonstrated, 1st innings totals of 300-400 are merely par on good Indian batting tracks, but with 570 on the board Pakistan were in a commanding position. Once again though Sehwag proved a thorn in the visitor’s side, slamming 201 from just 262 balls. However Pakistan’s own legspinner Danish Kaneria worked his way through India’s star studded lineup to a 5-fer, securing Pakistan a healthy lead. India, led by under pressure captain Sourav Ganguly who was experiencing a rut in form, collapsed on the fifth afternoon and Pakistan famously triumphed after Shahid Afridi scythed through the middle order. Never in Pakistan’s history has a 1-1 draw been celebrated with such vigor, but the unlikely underdogs proved more than a match for India’s heavyweights.

The one day series began according to script. Virender Sehwag continued to bulldoze Pakistan’s attack, while MS Dhoni’s maiden international hundred in Visakhapatnam meant at 2-0 down in a 6 match series, Inzamam’s boys looked set for a torturous series. Yet Pakistan produced another astonishing comeback with their backs to the wall. Having crumbled while chasing in the first two ODIs, Pakistan thanks to youngsters Salman Butt and Shoaib Malik reversed the scoreboard pressure on India in Jamshedpur.

Cue an unlikely hero – Rana Naved-ul-Hasan. For Pakistan fans brought up on tales of Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, Rana Naved’s ungainly manner and lack of express pace prompted comments of “Rana Who?” But his ability to obtain some seam movement in batting conditions, clever changes of pace, and variations led to a career best 6-27. In a chase of 320, India slid to to 82-6 and were decimated. Next in Ahmedabad, scene of religious riots three years ago, Pakistan entered the lion’s den. In front of a partisan crowd, Sachin Tendulkar’s 123 set Pakistan a demanding chase, and chasing has never been Pakistan’s strength. Once again, Pakistan dug deep and produced a masterclass in running ones and twos in the middle overs in sweltering heat. In the final over, it was a battle of two icons – Inzamam-ul-Haq versus Sachin Tendulkar, and Inzamam prevailed with a nerveless dab behind point to level the series.

Next is what’s fondly nicknamed as the “Kanpur Massacre”. The only way to do justice to this event is to search it on YouTube and relieve arguably Shahid Afridi’s most famous innings besides his debut hundred in Nairobi. Afridi was another mercurial talent The Late Bob Woolmer breathed life into, with 2005 proving an excellent year for the all-rounder.

Delhi was a fitting scene for one last drubbing by Pakistan. India by now had wilted, Sehwag had been quietened by Rana Naved and the bowlers were ragged from Pakistan’s clinical batting. Ganguly, a national hero a year earlier, was now being openly jeered by fans out in the middle and during post-match interviews. After another Afridi blitz, and solid middle order contributions from Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam-ul-Haq and Younis Khan, India needed 304 to square the series. They came nowhere close, losing 5-30 in a middle phase where Pakistan, unthinkably, toyed with their superior opponents. As a young fan, this was the icing on the cake as Pakistan produced a near perfect ODI performance.

To put in perspective the significance of this result – India never lost a bilateral ODI series at home in the 1990s. They would lose only 2 of the next 15 home ODI series. This was the zenith of the Inzamam-Woolmer era, where Pakistan with an unproven, inexperienced team belittled by the pundits proved more than the sum of their parts demonstrating a resilience and never say die attitude in their archrivals’ territory. 15 years on, and this series still never fails to put a grin on the faces of Pakistan fans.

Had a lot of fond memories flooding back writing this - those two wins in Jamshedpur and Delhi were close to a perfect ODI performance.

I didn't see the Kanpur Massacre live but that was an unforgettable knock from Afridi who fluorished under Woolmer between 2004-2006.

I'll also always remember Balaji's cap being knocked off as Pakistan took the final wicket in the Bangalore Test.

Had a lot of fond memories flooding back writing this - those two wins in Jamshedpur and Delhi were close to a perfect ODI performance.

I didn't see the Kanpur Massacre live but that was an unforgettable knock from Afridi who fluorished under Woolmer between 2004-2006.

I'll also always remember Balaji's cap being knocked off as Pakistan took the final wicket in the Bangalore Test.

Brilliant piece of writing bro! Really enjoyed it.

Brilliant read :bow:

Such a travesty that a whole generation of fans in both the nations are missing out on a riveting rivalry.

Great article buddy! All those memories of that amazing series can’t rushing back - I was only 14 years old then. :)

One small point - for the Bangalore Test, O think you should have also mentioned our third innings where Yasir Hameed and Shahid Afridi (of all people!) gave us a lightning start and before Inzy and YK combined again to smash the Indian bowlers all over the park before declaring and letting India bat in the 4th innings on day 5 where Afridi and Kaneria collapsed the Indian batting lineup!

Beautiful thread - though I am not sure, why it was unlikely!!!!!!

Had PAK won the toss at Eden, it would have been 0-2 for the tourists, had IND won the toss at Bangalore, it would have been 2-0 or at worst 1-0; PAK won't have beaten IND batting 2nd.

The reason being that around 2005, both teams were very much similar. In the history of two rivalry, probably after mid 1970s, only time PAK had a Test batting line-up which was at per or may be even slightly better than IND in that 2005 series!!!!!! YK, MoYo, Inzi made the best, or joint best middle order batting line-up that time in world, particularly in Asian condition; that line-up had excellent depth with Afridi, ARazzak, Sami & Arshad - only Danish was a rabbit and I dare say Sami will bat at 8 in this current PAK line-up. Also, that Peshawari guy Yasir Hameed was MUCH better than his stats, hard done by PCB, because he didn't come from Lahore; otherwise two other guys by the name of Imran Farhat & Sulman Butt played much longer with inferior stats; in fact SButt would have led PAK for long times and could have played 100+ Tests, with his average of 30 - current PAK team will die for an opener like Yasir Hameed. Same can be said about the other guy playing in that Bangalore Test - Asim Kamal; a Karachi lefti guy royally screwed by PCB & it's selectors (& the Captain, who was among the meanest guy I have seen in the game) - another guy who would have ended with better career stats that Asad Shafique or even Azhar Ali, let alone Butt & Farhat.

Add to the WKeeping of Kamran, who is bashed here in PP for his last years; but in 2005, ChappelI rated him as the best prospect to take over from Gilly, and this Aussie guy doesn't praise non Aussies unless he is damn impressed. Coming from Lahore, KAkmal decided to manage his spot in PTC by other off-field means and his Captain made sure that no other WK is picked even in squad, which didn't keep him honest (something cost Sarfraz as well - now, out of PAK team, guy has shrunken by like 40%!!!!) - but in his first few years he was a fantastic prospect, would have broken every PAK WKeeing records by volume. He got married sometimes after that series and started to gain weight, then went to UK in 2006 hiding injury - it was all down slope from there on; lost his touch, lost confidence and lost his agility. It was his lobby that kept him in PAK team undeservingly for 5 more years, for which he is paying back now - otherwise had the guy been dropped for couple of years that time, he could have sorted his issues and even today could have played in PCT - in T20s, he could have been the MVP of this Ranked No. 1 PCT!!!!!

Then comes Afridi, ARazzak and Sami - Afridi had the talent to be a better all-rounder than Intekhab, had he focused on building career in longer format; in Indian conditions, he could have been an ATG!!!! Anil Kumble maintained and average of 6.5 wickets/Test at below 20 average and 2.2 economy in India, in similar time - no reason why this guy Afridi couldn't maintain the same stats at, 4+/around 25/2.5 level with a batting average of around 35-38 in India - that's ATG level!!! A Razzak was at his prime that time - could have been Stokes or Flintoff level Test all-rounder had he focused on the longer game and played couple of seasons in County, FC format, at the start of career when he was officially around 19. He was the Man of the Series in that 2000 WSC tournament, which showcased half of ODIs ATGs in one tournament.

Sami is the most under-rated and unfortunate fast bowler in history of PAK cricket - guy had everything to be a tearaway fast bowler, but he played under some of the most defensive, unimaginative Captains who used him for the Rao Iftekhar role, and they all were sacred of condescending runs, put him on hold ... otherwise Sami's Test average doesn't justify his career start or his skill set. That Bangalore Test was one where he was allowed to be absolute flat-out fast & relentless, because PAK batsmen put 800+ at brisk rate, and had to win that Test - business as usual, Inzi/Woolmer would have asked him to tone down and bowl length-line.

And, finally Arshad - I wonder, why this guy didn't have a Lyon like career (obviously with half number of Tests, thanks to PCB) - 32 wickets in 9 Tests at below 30 average, with an economy of 2.25, for a 6'3" offie, who could turn it big conventionally ......... probably his fault was also that he came from Peshawar!!!! His partner for that Test, Danish was Danish - the most successful PAK spinner by volume ever and he was at his prime that time - took two 7fors in Australia against that Aussie team two months back. With his height and turn, on Indian dust bowl, he was always a threat, if he could maintain his RADAR.

The bottom line is - that series was played by two equally matched sides and it deserved to be a 5 Test series, if not 6 for a true contest. And, had it been a 6 Test series, I still don't know who could have won it with last 3 Tests at Delhi, Chennai and may be Hyderabad or Ahmadabad. Absolutely no surprise for me it ended 1-1 - that was a fantastic PAK team for Indian condition, better equipped to take on India, in India than in Pakistan itself; it indeed did win ODI series 4-2, from 0-2 down. That PAK side will blank this current lot 6-0, losing every toss and playing any where in the world.

I am dying for just one such Test series, with 5/6 Tests in it - I won't ask for anything in cricket for a whole calendar year, thereafter.

We won a Test on Indian turf more recently than when they last won a Test on our turf in 2004 ;))

We won a Test on Indian turf more recently than when they last won a Test on our turf in 2004 ;))

No trophy for this one to be honest - that's only because last series was played in 2007-08 I believe. More shift of balance in power between two teams have taken place in last 12 years than the whole lot water drained to Bay of Bengal by mighty Ganges.

PAK is lucky that Modi(zee) and his Bhakts have stopped bilateral cricket, and Test contest all together, otherwise it would have been ugly ...... for a PAK fan in last 10-12 years, and I must mention here that, I also am one.

It was a great tour. Had we won the Mohali test which would have helped win the test series 2-1, then losing the ODIs wouldn't have felt that bad.

Pakistan batted very well for a change thought out that your. We were posting good totals but kept losing.

India is a great place to bat, once a team figures out how to neutralize our spinners things usually get awkward for us as we never ever had tier away fast bowlers.

It's ironic however how that used to be called the weakest ever Pakistan team. Little did people know what they were witnessing the last of the super stars.

Last edited:
It was a great tour. Had we won the Mohali test which would have helped win the test series 2-1, then losing the ODIs wouldn't have felt that bad.

Pakistan batted very well for a change thought out that your. We were posting good totals but kept losing.

India is a great place to bat, once a team figures out how to neutralize our spinners things usually get awkward for us as we never ever had tier away fast bowlers.

It's ironic however how that used to be called the weakest ever Pakistan team. Little did people know what they were witnessing the last of the super stars.

Beautifully put.

Brought back some great memories.

We have regressed so much as a Test team.

We just seem to be producing cricketers who only have the temperament for crash, bang and wallop cricket.

It's going to take a good few years for the PCB changes to hopefully kick in and for proper Test cricketers to be developed and nurtured.

Great article [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION]

I vividly remember this series, specially the Kanpur Massacre. I was in 2nd year Engineering in U of T and I remember telling my friends that I would be surprised if India scores anything less than a whitewash. It was by far the worst bowling unit on paper we were taking. However, in the end it was the unlikely due of Kaneria/Afridi in tests, and Rana/Razaaq in ODIs who surprised everyone. Specially Rana! Anyone who talks about Rana would always bring that series. It is a pity that he couldn't replicate these performances again in his career.

Also to mention, this was the series that made Younis Khan in tests. He newly became vice captain of the team and was under so much pressure until that 267.

Great post MIG, how I wish I can go back in time and watch the whole series again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-PrHIS_oOJc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yesterday was the 15th anniversary of the 6th and final ODI in Delhi. This was the icing on the cake for me - just a perfect ODI performance from Pakistan in the capital of our archrivals.

Yousuf was typically one of our worst fielders but even he scored two run-outs !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-PrHIS_oOJc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yesterday was the 15th anniversary of the 6th and final ODI in Delhi. This was the icing on the cake for me - just a perfect ODI performance from Pakistan in the capital of our archrivals.

Yousuf was typically one of our worst fielders but even he scored two run-outs !

Such a poor umpiring by Indian 3rd umpire!

MoYo was unfairly given run out :facepalm:

The delivery which got Inzi was miles away from his bat. A proper wide ball. Kudos to Dhoni for perfect acting to squeeze out a caught behind :yk

Pakistan had to get out Sehwag 3 times :yk

Afridi was a force of nature! :afridi

Thanks for sharing the video!

Such a pity, we may never see a Pak team touring India!

Last edited:
Still remember Afridi getting the vital wicket of Tendulkar in the last innings of the last test and his kanpur 100.

Pakistan beat India in 2012 too, the last ever bilateral between the sides. I think that ODI series was even more remarkable considering India 2012 were WC winners and a better ODI side than India 2005. But boy those emotions in 05, I was 15 or so and it lives long in the memory.

I was just 8 years old and this series one of my earliest cricketing memories . I remember afridis great spell in the banglore test

:yk :moyo2 :inzi

Show me a better middle order which played for Pakistan ever!!

This team was indeed really great and only second to the class of 90's .. just a shame how we have fallen apart just in the space of 10 years...

Back