Big Bash League 2015/16 - Crowd Attendance

BigBoy123

Local Club Captain
Runs
This Average attendance for the BBL t20s has been surprisingly quite high . Average attendance of about 25k .On the New Years eve Crowd in Adelaide was 46k and Right now Melbourne Derby is going on and Crowd is at least about 70k (Official Attendance will come soon)
The Average Crowd is Greater then capacity of 3 of the 8 host Stadiums (Hobart , Spotless Stadium and WACA )
The Crowds for Domestic Matches have been Much better then for The International Ones.
What is the Reason behind it , Is it Poor quality of International Opposition's or Repetitive International Opponents ?
One Way or another Big Bash is now very close to replace IPL as the top Domestic League.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Think the marketing and way in which it is setup has been perfected really by CA. Having the WI going how they are at the moment right now isn't going to help the international crowds at all.

Look at the big salary in IPL, if Big Bash beats them then I will agree that it's the best league.

Except for Ashes & few centres in India test is now limited to TV.,.T20 on other hand the experience in stadium pulls people.

Maybe Aus winning the world cup rejuvenated cricket spirit in the country?

By the way I just remembered Australia are the current world champions lol.

They've done it so many times now that you easily gloss over the fact...

Think the marketing and way in which it is setup has been perfected really by CA. Having the WI going how they are at the moment right now isn't going to help the international crowds at all.

It's not WI....NZ series till D&N test is utter failure.

Also it has less International stars than IPL..IPL has Indian Stars as well as De Villiers, Steyn, Du Plessis, Morkel, Mc Cullum etc

It's not WI....NZ series till D&N test is utter failure.

Wouldn't quite call them an utter failure given it still had larger crowds than most other countries in the world bar England (although this test in SA is full for day 1 it seems).

Wouldn't quite call them an utter failure given it still had larger crowds than most other countries in the world bar England (although this test in SA is full for day 1 it seems).

Yesterday I read a article which showed few BB matches had more attendance than entire test match against NZ. I guess average per day against NZ is something like 8k.

Also it has less International stars than IPL..IPL has Indian Stars as well as De Villiers, Steyn, Du Plessis, Morkel, Mc Cullum etc

IPL won't come into picture as its far ahead of any other T20 leagues.

Yesterday I read a article which showed few BB matches had more attendance than entire test match against NZ. I guess average per day against NZ is something like 8k.

Seem to remember reading the average at the Gabba was 14k and bear in mind one day was rain affected.

Looks like this ticket prices also a concern.Tests tickets are pretty expensive compared to T20

80,833 [MENTION=53824]MC[/MENTION]G tonight

80,000+ crowd for a BBL match today, What is the record attendance for a T20 match?

What is record attendance for a T20 league or T20I match?

I m surprised to see this much attendance for a T20 league match. There are currently 80,833 people in the stadium to watch Melbourne Stars v Melbourne Renegades.

I guess India vs OZ match had big attendance in McG....not sure it's bigger than this.

We have to Check India vs OZ match McG...I guess it also 80+

Whatever it is this awesome for BBL....what's the ticket cost?

This is awesome for a league match i mean 93,000 people watched 2015 WC final and here we have 80,000+ for a league match and that too in a normal match which isn't a KO.

80,000+ crowd for a BBL match today, What is the record attendance for a T20 ...

Yes this is BBL & domestic T20 record...India vs OZ T20i had 84000 people.

Yes this is BBL & domestic T20 record...India vs OZ T20i had 84000 people.

Was india v OZ a domestic match?

The OP is talking about domestic leauge not international match

I guess you see india in everything

This is awesome for a league match i mean 93,000 people watched 2015 WC final and here we have 80,000+ for a league match and that too in a normal match which isn't a KO.
Local derby, cheaper tickets, holidays and no other competing events (that I can think of).

Melbourne often gets massive crowds for the AFL as well [MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION] would probably give you a better idea.

Impressive nonetheless.

Last edited:
91,000 for a State of Origin match lol

Take that AFL.

Wow.....Is this record for domestic T20 or even T20 itself??

It's domestic record, and it's beat the last 30 internationals in Australia.

The commentators are in disbelief at how big it is. They can't believe this is beating their AFL games.

100% chance Big Bash will expand soon with numbers like this.

It's domestic record, and it's beat the last 30 internationals in Australia.

The commentators are in disbelief at how big it is. They can't believe this is beating their AFL games.

100% chance Big Bash will expand soon with numbers like this.

The commies are pretty dumb then given Collingwood v Essendon and Collingwood v Carlton break that every year and Melbourne has no less then 9 different AFL teams

BBL gets good crowds because 1. Entertaining Cricket 2. Very convenient time of day 3. School Holidays 4. Very cheap tickets 5. Only a few hours

Eddie McGuire is the head of both Collingwood and Melbourne Stars. Their is a promo that if you're a junior Collingwood member you can attend a few Stars games for free

Eddie McGuire is the head of both Collingwood and Melbourne Stars. Their is a promo that if you're a junior Collingwood member you can attend a few Stars games for free

There are 2 Melbourne teams in BBL so is the home ground same for them?

There are 2 Melbourne teams in BBL so is the home ground same for them?

No. Melbourne Stars play at the MCG
Renegades play at Docklands.

The AFL teams tend to play a mix of the two but in general Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond play at the MCG and Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs play at Docklands

Renegades play at Docklands (Etihad) stadium.

No. Melbourne Stars play at the MCG
Renegades play at Docklands.

The AFL teams tend to play a mix of the two but in general Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond play at the MCG and Carlton, Essendon, North Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs play at Docklands

Thanks for the info guys!

What i don't understand is how exactly you can have 2 different team fan followings for same city? Is Melbourne a state or division? or just a city

What i don't understand is how exactly you can have 2 different team fan followings for same city? Is Melbourne a state or division? or just a city

It's a city.

And yes thus far the two Melbourne teams and the two Sydney teams have struggled to get the same support as the single city teams

It's a city.

And yes thus far the two Melbourne teams and the two Sydney teams have struggled to get the same support as the single city teams

Yea i guess they created 2 teams for these cities because their population is bigger than the rest? btw BBL is run by state cricket just like Ram Slam T20? and don't have franchise owners etc like IPL PSL etc?

91,000 for a State of Origin match lol

Take that AFL.

Victorians would turn up to watch a paint drying competition if you held at the MCG, marketed it and let people bet on it

Yea i guess they created 2 teams for these cities because their population is bigger than the rest? btw BBL is run by state cricket just like Ram Slam T20? and don't have franchise owners etc like IPL PSL etc?

They're not privately owned. WA and Perth Scorchers are pretty much the same team to be honest and have the same everything.
I'm not exactly sure how it works for the Melbourne and Sydney teams.

They're not privately owned. WA and Perth Scorchers are pretty much the same team to be honest and have the same everything.
I'm not exactly sure how it works for the Melbourne and Sydney teams.

Yea Perth is also based on WA. They are not privately owned so i guess thats the reason we never get to know how much overseas players are being paid in BBL and Ram Slam.

Yea Perth is also based on WA. They are not privately owned so i guess thats the reason we never get to know how much overseas players are being paid in BBL and Ram Slam.

Not only is Perth based in WA but they're owned by the WACA, run by the WACA, have the same coach as WA and the same players + overseas

Victorians would turn up to watch a paint drying competition if you held at the MCG, marketed it and let people bet on it

Love it.....husband is a victorian and always talks about the Melbournelive of sport will use that line on him next.

LA Lakers, Clippers worked just fine. Manchester City/Utd, Liverpool/Everton and the various London clubs work fine.

City derbies should always do well I guess, Middlesex v Surrey t20 sold at Lords with 26,000 I believe in the English season just passed, not sure if the return at the oval did the same.

LA Lakers, Clippers worked just fine. Manchester City/Utd, Liverpool/Everton and the various London clubs work fine.

In most cases there is still a geographical/class divide between the clubs

Just wow. 80k+ for a league match.
Never mind IPL, BBL has cemented it's place as the top league. Others will be playing cash up for long time.
Who needs $2.3 million a season players and 4 foreigners when you can get that sort of a crowd.
Was a great a tactical move by the CA to hve two Melbourne teams. As far as i remember, the games at Ethihad do well too(?).
Slightly off point, but is the gate money shared between all teams like NFL or Stars will get to keep all?

1. Dirt cheap tickets
2. Kids are on holiday
3. Parents are on holiday

This Average attendance for the BBL t20s has been surprisingly quite high . Average attendance of about 25k .On the New Years eve Crowd in Adelaide was 46k and Right now Melbourne Derby is going on and Crowd is at least about 70k (Official Attendance will come soon)
The Average Crowd is Greater then capacity of 3 of the 8 host Stadiums (Hobart , Spotless Stadium and WACA )
The Crowds for Domestic Matches have been Much better then for The International Ones.
What is the Reason behind it , Is it Poor quality of International Opposition's or Repetitive International Opponents ?
One Way or another Big Bash is now very close to replace IPL as the top Domestic League.

Sorry but IPL is the biggest circus league in the world. Big Bash can't beat it. Also looking at the number of threads and response regarding PSL here i think PSL can become the second best circus league.

Sorry but IPL is the biggest circus league in the world. Big Bash can't beat it. Also looking at the number of threads and response regarding PSL here i think PSL can become the second best circus league.

Completelt depends on how you define 'beat it'.

I personally already much prefer watching the BBL personally, and watch much more of it than I do the IPL but it will differ from person to person.

IPL has the money and overseas, BBL wins on everything else for me.

I personally already much prefer watching the BBL personally, and watch much more of it than I do the IPL but it will differ from person to person.

Personal opinions are ok,but end of day success defined by how many people buy a product.

You didn't get my post. :inti

Quality of threads do matter :)

Big Bash is ready to surpass Test cricket

See link for full story.

For the vast majority of cricket lovers in this country, it's Test cricket that has always captured the imagination and inspired youthful aspirations. But make no mistake, it won't be that way for long.

The Big Bash is creeping up on Test cricket, sneaking into the long-form's many blind spots and preparing to usurp it as the summer's main attraction. It has been dismissed for the duration of its existence by "real" cricket fans, but can be dismissed no longer.

One day we will look back at last summer's derby between the Melbourne Renegades and Stars, in which more than 80,000 people flocked to the MCG, as the modern-day equivalent of Kerry Packer throwing the SCG gates open as World Series Cricket finally clicked with its audience.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-...-to-usurp-test-cricket-like-it-or-not/8021412

I hope Australia learn to play Test cricket again.

It's their only choice. They are being dismantled by SA and will soon to be destroyed by Pakistan. It will be tough for the fans to watch Test cricket.

What a ludicrous article.

Sure EPL football attracts average attendances of 36,000 while Big Bash averages 31,000.

But on average, revenue per seat per match at the EPL is US$61. In the Big Bash it is less than US$10.

The whole Sheffield Season has been moved around to accommodate the Big Bash, with the result that there are no in form First Class performers when the Test team needs them. In fact, since the introduction of the Big Bash the Test team has been bowled out for less than 100 three times in five years.

And the rain falling at the Hobart Test is in part because Hobart is the coldest, wettest venue, yet has been allocated a match three weeks before the start of summer.

And the suggestion that the teams are locally based! Give me a break! A few players in each team - the worst ones - are locals. But the star players tend to be recruited from elsewhere.

The Big Bash is an important way to get kids interested in cricket, after which they can move on to more sophisticated versions of the game. But it is damaging the Test team, and needs to be carefully managed.

Last edited:
What a ludicrous article.

Sure EPL football attracts average attendances of 36,000 while Big Bash averages 31,000.

But on average, revenue per seat per match at the EPL is US$61. In the Big Bash it is less than US$10..

Big bash tickets are AU$69-$79 which is US$52-$59

Big bash tickets are AU$69-$79 which is US$52-$59

My local team is the Brisbane Heat. Tickets start at A$22, but a family ticket is A$48 for four people, so A$12 each, which is US$9 each.

My local team is the Brisbane Heat. Tickets start at A$22, but a family ticket is A$48 for four people, so A$12 each, which is US$9 each.
So even that kinda makes your statement not entirely true.

Just looked at the Sunderland v Hull match, tickets. Adults US$30

So even that kinda makes your statement not entirely true.

If you want to book a ticket in a good seat you pay $69, you turn up at the gate and hope its not sold out and you may get a seat for $22.

But yeah what he said is nowhere near the truth, to say the BBL averages US$10 a seat is out there with the fairies.

Last edited:
Back