Bishan Singh Bedi, legendary India spinner, dies at 77

IamIndian

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Bishan Singh Bedi, legendary India spinner, dies at 77

Bishan Singh Bedi, former India captain and legendary spinner has died at the age of 77, news agency PTI reported on Monday. Bedi, a veteran of 67 Tests between in a 12-year-career spanning between 1967 and 1979, was one of India's most celebrated cricketers.

Bedi, along with Erapalli Prasanna, BS Chandrasekhar and S. Venkataraghavan, formed the most lethal spin quartet in the history of Indian cricket, one that revolutionised the art of spin bowling worldwide. A Padma Shri winner in 1970, Bedi also went on to captain India in 22 Tests.

Making his Test debut against Australia in 1969-70, Bedi finished the series with 21 wickets. And there was no looking back. After grabbing 25 wickets against England, another 18 against West Indies, 22 more against England and 25 and 31 again versus England and Australia, Bedi, really was, in the truest sense, one of the greatest spinners of all time.

Bedi was a stalwart for Delhi in Ranji Trophy leading the team to back-to-back titles in 1978-79 and 1980-81. Besides, Bedi also emerged as a giant in County cricket where he played 102 First-Class games for Northamptonshire and picked 434 wickets from 1972 to 1977.

HindustanTimes​

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. Knew he was ill for some time.

The Sardar was a one-off. Blunt, uncompromising, an expert in feather ruffling as in the art of spin bowling. Bedi sb was never afraid to fire salvos against the all-powerful BCCI admins as he was leading his team off the field if he felt the spirit of cricket was being violated (Kingston 1976/Sahiwal 1978).

Never saw him live but YouTube shows a beautifully simple, economical action. He was a jewel in the crown that was India's 1970s Spin Quartet that ushered in India's first golden era.

He was a great friend to many Pakistani cricketers including Intikhab Alam and Mushtaq Mohammad, playing alongside the latter in English County cricket for Northants.

RIP.

One more thing to add - during Pakistan's 1987 tour of India the series was deadlocked going into the decider at Bangalore.

Pitch was a raging turner (footage is limited but scorecard suggests it would've been given a warning nowadays) and during the Test, Bedi sb had a chance encounter with our spinners Iqbal Qasim and Tauseef Ahmed.

He advised them with the surface doing so much, just pitch it on a length instead of trying to maximise turn.

Pakistan won the Test and series. Bedi sb was obviously a proud Indian but loved the craft of spin bowling as much and national boundaries didn't stop him from sharing his knowledge.

Dont get me wrong guys, but I think Beshan Bedi would be proud leaving the world today, because he was able to witness something that he fought for all these years, and today October 23rd was the day we witness a very clean game of cricket because of his voice and many others like him.

I never saw Bedi play, i knew that Beshan Bedi was some Indian spinner. I dont even know if he bowled leg or off, but the reason why I know him is because of his stance against chuckers.

All his life, Bedi sahaab fought against chuckers. Whether it was Ajmal, Murali, or even Harbhajan, Bedi sahaab would bash them and not cared about nationality. I often used to think he was crazy, but as i grew up and witness how offies were chucking, i started to understand what Bedi was on about.

With offspiners chucking, we were seeing a slow death of the leg spinners, as it was very difficult for a leg spinner to compete with an offie chucker that would get more spin. A chucker will always outperform a leg spinner because they have an unfair advantage. We were seeing soo many chuckers in the subcontinent. No leg spinners were making it to the big stage, no kid wanted to be a leg spinner. Things were soo bad in Pakistan that after Saeed Ajmal, we were planning to bring in Adnan Rasool into the international stages.

But Bedi did not stop, he kept voicing his opinion, until Anil Kumble (a leggie) was part of the ICC and took a hard stance against chuckers. Slowly, as the chuckers got banned, we saw Leg spin coming back. The likes of Yasir Shah and Hasaranga started to emerge as boards started to ban all their chuckers.

I find it odd that God decided to take back Bedi sahaab today out of all days. Because today we are witnessing a match where Afghanistan is playing 4 spinners and Pakistan is playing 3. This includes 3 right arm leggies, 1 chinaman and 2 legal offies are playing today. No left armers today, but still atleast we are seeing leg spin emerge.

Today we are witnessing these spinners and a clean game because of his voice.

I dont know Bedi the bowler, but i know Bedi that fought for something that was right.

RIP Bishan Bedi

Inna lillahi wa inna ilyhi rajioon.

A true lover of cricket with a dynamic personality at times he was a bit extreme with his views but it came from a pure place.

With the loss of Bedi and previously Bob Willis we are losing out on these loveable grumpy old men to keep our game in check.

Dont get me wrong guys, but I think Beshan Bedi would be proud leaving the world today, because he was able to witness something that he fought for all these years, and today October 23rd was the day we witness a very clean game of cricket because of his voice and many others like him.

I never saw Bedi play, i knew that Beshan Bedi was some Indian spinner. I dont even know if he bowled leg or off, but the reason why I know him is because of his stance against chuckers.

All his life, Bedi sahaab fought against chuckers. Whether it was Ajmal, Murali, or even Harbhajan, Bedi sahaab would bash them and not cared about nationality. I often used to think he was crazy, but as i grew up and witness how offies were chucking, i started to understand what Bedi was on about.

With offspiners chucking, we were seeing a slow death of the leg spinners, as it was very difficult for a leg spinner to compete with an offie chucker that would get more spin. A chucker will always outperform a leg spinner because they have an unfair advantage. We were seeing soo many chuckers in the subcontinent. No leg spinners were making it to the big stage, no kid wanted to be a leg spinner. Things were soo bad in Pakistan that after Saeed Ajmal, we were planning to bring in Adnan Rasool into the international stages.

But Bedi did not stop, he kept voicing his opinion, until Anil Kumble (a leggie) was part of the ICC and took a hard stance against chuckers. Slowly, as the chuckers got banned, we saw Leg spin coming back. The likes of Yasir Shah and Hasaranga started to emerge as boards started to ban all their chuckers.

I find it odd that God decided to take back Bedi sahaab today out of all days. Because today we are witnessing a match where Afghanistan is playing 4 spinners and Pakistan is playing 3. This includes 3 right arm leggies, 1 chinaman and 2 legal offies are playing today. No left armers today, but still atleast we are seeing leg spin emerge.

Today we are witnessing these spinners and a clean game because of his voice.

I dont know Bedi the bowler, but i know Bedi that fought for something that was right.

RIP Bishan Bedi
Thanks for this post.

tell us more

After that tour got over, when I went to Pakistan again, I got an opportunity to read the Dawn newspaper in Karachi. There I read a small story about somebody asking for blood. It was my blood group. I rang him up. I told him if you do not have any problem with taking blood from an Indian, you can take my blood. The doctors came and asked me if I wanted to tell the media about it. I said no, I am a donor, you can just take my blood. But the news was flashed all over Pakistan.

General Zia was very impressed… Just by donating one pint of blood, I had the entire Pakistan at my feet, literally. The taxi guys didn’t take money from me. People did not let me pay when I bought things from their shops. Somebody told me, you are so popular here, if you fight an election, you will win. I asked, do elections happen here (laughs)?
It's a great interview. Bedi sb had a wicked sense of humour.

RIP! From what I've read and heard he was a tremendous bowler and competitor. We need to thank him for his stance against chuckers irrespective of nationality. From Murali to Harbhajan, he was equally hard on everyone.

The International Cricket Council has expressed sadness at the passing of former India captain Bishan Singh Bedi at the age of 77.

In a statement, ICC Chief Executive Geoff Allardice extolled the qualities of spin legend Bedi, saying he was one of the masters of flight and turn who would be remembered for years to come.

“It’s sad to hear of the passing of Bishan Bedi. I would like to extend heartfelt condolences from everyone at the ICC to the family of one of the greats of the game and one whose exploits in Test cricket will be remembered for a long time.
He was the kind of spinner who could excel in different conditions and would have been one of the greats in any era.” Mr. Allardice said.

Bedi, an ICC Cricket Hall of Famer, grabbed 266 wickets in 67 Tests between 1967 and 1979 with 14 five-wicket hauls. He also took seven wickets in 10 One Day Internationals, a format that was still in its infancy when he was playing international cricket.

He also enjoyed huge success in first-class cricket, finishing with 1,560 wickets playing for various teams including Delhi and Northern Punjab in India and Northamptonshire in England.

Bedi also led India to six Test wins including in the West Indies and Australia.

The great man said something in 2013-14 T20 WC, which is applicable in 2023 as well. When a reporter asked him if India will win the WC, his terse reply was along the lines that let's hope they don't because with BCCI already so powerful, they will create monopoly on international cricket if India wins.

All I can remember is he didn't rate Abdul Qadir much as a spinner. When the English commentators were going doolally over Qadir:

"Here comes Qadir bouncing in to the crease..."

Bedi replied along the lines of "There's a lot more bounce than turn"

I don't think he understood that much about legspin though, Qadir's main weapon was the topspinner which shot onto the batsman, something he taught Shane Warne as well.

Fans of today might not understand the legacy of some old timers but I can tell you that i grew up listening to stories of Bidhen Singh Bedi as a godly spinner from my father. They said he would bowl over after over without leaking any runs. A classic off spinner who liked to toss the ball up to invite the batsman to hit him. He used to applaud batters when they would come down the track to him. An absolute legend of the game.

Bharat was pretty much a minnow during his career and he held his own.

The great man said something in 2013-14 T20 WC, which is applicable in 2023 as well. When a reporter asked him if India will win the WC, his terse reply was along the lines that let's hope they don't because with BCCI already so powerful, they will create monopoly on international cricket if India wins.
So as long as bcci goes bankrupt, u doesn't want india to win another trophy. U can argue it's all about power, but we know it's all about money.if bcci don't have money, cricket will die.

Have little regard for Intikhab Alam the administrator but this is an amazing tribute to Bedi sb - friend for 52 years.

Who will call me every then and now in the evening and will request me to sing a Louis Armstrong song? Who will give me compliments about my singing? Who will pull my leg about some of my random dismissals during my playing day?

I am heartbroken. I have lost a part of my heart today. I can’t express in words how I am feeling. I have lost a friend, a younger brother. Last year, around the same time, we met at the Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara. He forced me to sing Louis Armstrong’s songs, held my hand, we smiled, we cried. Those were some of the most beautiful few hours of my life. I can still recall his smiling face, waving us goodbye once he crossed the border.

I have known him since 1971. I was playing county cricket for Surrey. Bishan was there with the Indian team for their England tour. The first time we interacted was in a match during that tour. India was playing Surrey and they had fielded three spinners, Prasanna, Chandrasekhar and Bishan. I hit two or three sixes off Bishan’s bowling. All of them were over his head and those were massive ones. After the third six, he came to me and said “Kaptaan ji dusre bhi bowler hai, mujhe baksh do, mere peeche kyu pad gaye (Captain, there are other bowlers as well. Please show some mercy, why are you after my life).”

After the day’s play, he came to Surrey’s dressing room. I was dying to talk to someone in Punjabi. Then we never looked back.

The same year, we spent five months in Australia playing for the World XI. There were players from six or seven different countries. Gary Sobers was the captain. I was the vice captain. Bishan came up with the idea that since it is a long tour, we should at least meet once a week outside the ground. I made a Sunday club. Once a week, we used to hang out. We used to eat, drink, sing and dance. I used to sing for them. This is where he listened to Jazz for the first time and fell in love with Louis Armstrong’s songs. We were similar in every sense.

People always talk about his action, and how great a bowler he was. I used to tease him ‘Oye Sardar tu bowling karta hai ya Ghalib ke sher sunata hai’ (You are bowling or you are reciting Ghalib’s poem). Such a beautiful action he had.

He was a magician with the ball but besides that, he was a great human being. I have never seen anyone as genuine as Bishan. There was no fakeness in him. He was the same inside out. I used to get worried because of his personality. Whenever I used to warn him, ‘Bishan, sometimes it is okay to be diplomatic.’ In his younger days, he would reply, ‘I will try.’ After his retirement, he would say, ‘ab toh aadat daal lo (At least get used to it now).’

I can go on and on and on about Bishan. It is indeed a sad day for world cricket. We have lost a gem. Our friendship will continue till the time I am alive. He loved me like his elder brother. I loved him like my younger brother. I may never sing Louis Armstrong’s songs. Maybe, once we meet in another life.

Today, I will dedicate a Kishore Kumar song, another favourite singer of ours. This, from the movie Yaarana, is for Bishan, “Tere jaisa yaar kahaan, kahan aisa yaarana, yaad karegi duniya, tera mera afsana.”

Khuda hafiz, my friend. Keep a glass of red wine ready for me. Until next time!

I never watched him play but I heard he was a top class left-arm spinner. What I admire the most about him was when he called out chucking well before when ICC got their act together to clamp down on these dodgy actions. Respect and RIP.

RIP. Bishan and Mushtaq Muhammad were like brothers, a bond forged in county days. I remember a video where Mushtaq came to Delhi, some 10 years back. And Bedi was giving him a guided tour of the city, including eateries and monuments, mosques etc. They were travelling on cyclerickshaws in the narrow lanes of Old Delhi with little children giving them company, can't find the video now but it was heartwarming to see the two old men enjoying themselves, with childlike enthusiasm.

He used to be India's best spinner during my deceased father's early college days in the late 60's, and throughout the 70's. Arguable, one of the finest left arm spinners the game has ever seen.

He had such a beautiful action. Along with Underwood, he was the best SLA in his days, very highly rated by legends like Doug Walters. Ian Chappell's favorite spinner was Prasanna and Walters' was Bedi, and they would have arguments about it, narrated in great detail in his book. Bedi also held most records of SLA until Herath broke them recently.

He was very knowledgeable about the art of spin bowling and it was common to see visiting spinners especially from England And Australia having a camp in his academy before India series. I remember reading that it was his advice to Iqbal Qasim and Tauseef Ahmed which helped Pakistan edge India in the famous 1987 Bangalore thriller, giving Imran Khan a series win in India.

His stance against chuckers, especially Murali, was always right, even though he faced a lot of heat for his bluntness. He even called out fellow Punjabi spinner Harbhajan Singh, very unbiased. And a rare Indian legend who wasn't afraid of BCCI, he thought of the good of cricket as a whole, not just Indian cricket. The way he took on Arun Jaitley for corruption in Delhi cricket administration is well known, he wanted his name removed from a Kotla stand because of his opposition to Jaitley. Very principled man even in his playing and captaincy days. It was him who called out and shamed Gavaskar when the latter was about to take a WSC contract, prioritizing Packer over Indian cricket. Both the legends were rarely on the same page.

@MMHS you have any stories about Bedi?

On 4th inning Bedi was in a league of his own. Only bowler to average under 15 and only one with economy under 2.

Test bowlers 4th inning record (min 50 wickets)

Player Span Mat Wkts Avg Econ SR
BS Bedi (IND) 1967-1979 26 60 14.46 1.83 47.2
CEL Ambrose (WI) 1988-2000 30 58 16.13 2.22 43.4
HMRKB Herath (SL) 2004-2018 41 115 18.08 2.49 43.5
K Rabada (SA) 2016-2023 23 59 18.84 3.48 32.4
CA Walsh (WI) 1984-2001 40 66 19.07 2.29 49.7
R Ashwin (IND) 2012-2023 35 89 19.19 2.49 46.1
GD McGrath (AUS) 1993-2006 54 103 19.49 2.34 49.8
WPUJC Vaas (SL) 1995-2009 33 58 20.43 2.66 46
M Muralidaran (SL) 1993-2009 37 106 21.01 2.52 50
RGD Willis (ENG) 1971-1984 37 57 21.28 2.7 47.2
Wasim Akram (PAK) 1985-2001 31 59 21.66 2.59 50.1
Waqar Younis (PAK) 1989-2002 31 55 22.03 3.11 42.5
JN Gillespie (AUS) 1996-2005 33 50 22.24 2.88 46.1
A Kumble (IND) 1992-2008 37 94 22.39 2.59 51.8
Yasir Shah (PAK) 2014-2021 21 59 22.72 2.8 48.5
SK Warne (AUS) 1992-2006 60 138 23.14 2.62 52.9
MM Ali (ENG) 2014-2023 28 63 23.17 3.45 40.2
SCJ Broad (ENG) 2008-2023 61 90 24.18 2.8 51.7
I Sharma (IND) 2007-2021 39 54 24.37 2.97 49.1
JM Anderson (ENG) 2003-2023 67 91 25.19 2.7 55.8
MG Johnson (AUS) 2007-2015 40 80 25.26 3.07 49.3
DW Steyn (SA) 2004-2019 28 52 25.46 3.13 48.8
NM Lyon (AUS) 2011-2023 57 111 27.81 2.79 59.7
SM Pollock (SA) 1995-2007 42 53 27.94 2.47 67.7
MA Starc (AUS) 2012-2023 37 63 28.2 3.32 50.8
TG Southee (NZ) 2010-2023 38 54 29.79 2.95 60.5

Legendary Bishen Singh Bedi just left us. An ornament has departed from the cricket world. Without doubt one of the greatest spin bowlers or left arm bowlers of all time. Bedi was the ultimate epitome or mascot of cricketing grace a. His easy run up, action and follow through poetry in motion, with the rhythm of a snake dancer.

Bedi was one of cricket's great gentlemen, upholding sportsmanship at any cost. Few cricketers possessed such a philosophical touch.

There were few spin bowlers who turned and looped a cricket ball more deceptively or as artistic in flight. Bedi literally converted spin bowling into an art form.Bedi was part of the quartet that turned a new epoch in Indian cricket from 1971.Bedi's bowling was as rhythmic as a ballad dancer and as tantalising as a snake charmer.Rarely did any bowler master left arm flight as Bishen.Very few spinners created such subtle variations of flight Simply the epitome of grace. Very few slow bowlers were more of a personification of aggression.

Bedi took spin bowling versatility or variety to a scale rarely penetrated, capable of bowling 6 completely different types of deliveries. In a very over, he could create a sensation of a complete twist and turn in a novel.Bedi could vary his pace flight, turn and height of a ball.

Quoting former England skipper Mike Brearley".A few easy rhythmic steps, perfectly balanced, and he moved smoothly into the delivery stride. His run up was not too long There was no sense of striving, nothing rushed or snatched,no hiccups, just an essay flow. Like most great bowlers his variation was subtle. No slow bowler required you to commit yourself later, as Bedi."

Sunil Gavaskar ranked Bedi the best left arm bowler he ever saw, before the advent of Wasim Akram.

Remarkably, attack or offensive was permanent feature of Bedi’s bowling, which never resorted to defensive bowling.

Bishen Bedi also had the relentless spirit to bowl prolonged spells at the level few slow bowlers could ever surpass Often he would simply chug on like a railway train or toil like an ox pulling a cart.on a field.

Bedi remained a devouted Sikh, all his life., with charasterictic,philosophical approach.

Few cricketers were ever as fortright, or called a spade a spade. Bedi also could be as playful as ever, with a great sense of humour.

Bedi was involved in 2 major controversies n his lifetime. The first was when protesting against the West Indies bouncer barrage at Kingston, the 2nd was against the Englishman using vaseline. Morally, I feel he was correct on both occasions. In West Indies, India may well have won the series but for unfair West Indies tactics which injured the Indian batsmen. On that occasion it was simply a bowling carnage ,which caused outrage in Bedi’s mind. Simply a ploy of inflicting injuries, which acted against the spirit of the game.

I can’t forget an incident when Bedi was labelled as a traitor by the Indian press, after he advised Iqbal Qasim and Tauseef Ahmed on the approach to bowl, on the penultimate day of the Bangalore test in 1987,which was the decider. Ironically, Pakistan triumphed,in a cliff hanger. Bedi simply told them that the pitch would do the tricks and to apply the basics of bowling. This displayed his non partisan and non chauvinistic character.

After his retirement, his zeal and passion for the game still remained undiminished, although his outburst against various aspects of the modern game sometimes made him appear outspoken.

He threatened to dump the Indian cricket team in the sea in 1990, when he was the coach. This was in response to the side failing to chase a modest total against Australia in a tri-series game on that tour.

Bedi literally was the godfather or architect of North Indian or Delhi cricket, shaping the rise of cricketers like Madan Lal, Mohinder Amarnath ,Surinder Amarnath and Gursharan Singh.

I admired his stand highly of not making the IPL, cricket’s biggest and most lucrative annual event, as a basis or source of selection. To me, it promoted cricket remaining a sport, and not a multi-billion dollar business. He detested players being treated like horses being sold to the highest bidder”. "I don't want to say anything about IPL. “There's not a bigger scam in India than IPL. Nobody here knows where IPL's money comes and goes. The second edition of the IPL happened in South Africa, millions of money was taken out of the country without the permission of Finance Minister," Bedi said at Sahitya Aaj Tak.

There were few spin bowlers who turned and looped a cricket ball more deceptively or as artistic in flight. Bedi literally converted spin bowling into an art form.Bedi was part of the quartet that turned a new epoch in Indian cricket from 1971.Bedi's bowling was as rhythmic as a ballad dancer and as tantalising as a snake charmer.Rarely did any bowler master left arm flight as Bishen.Very few spinners created such subtle variations of flight Simply the epitome of grace. Very few slow bowlers were more of a personification of aggression.

Bedi took spin bowling versatility or variety to a scale rarely penetrated, capable of bowling 6 completely different types of deliveries. In a very over, he could create a sensation of a complete twist and turn in a novel.Bedi could vary his pace flight, turn and height of a ball.

Quoting former England skipper Mike Brearley".A few easy rhythmic steps, perfectly balanced, and he moved smoothly into the delivery stride. His run up was not too long There was no sense of striving, nothing rushed or snatched,no hiccups, just an essay flow. Like most great bowlers his variation was subtle. No slow bowler required you to commit yourself later, as Bedi."

Sunil Gavaskar ranked Bedi the best left arm bowler he ever saw, before the advent of Wasim Akram.

Remarkably, attack or offensive was permanent feature of Bedi’s bowling, which never resorted to defensive bowling.

Bishen Bedi also had the relentless spirit to bowl prolonged spells at the level few slow bowlers could ever surpass Often he would simply chug on like a railway train or toil like an ox pulling a cart.ona field.

Good read. One of the fairest men in cricket, never afraid to call a spade a spade, and warm hearted, generous, honest. His action was poetry in motion. Thanks to the spin quartet and Gavaskar, Vishy, Sardesai etc India was able to win test series in Eng, WI, NZ in late 60s and early 70s.

Bedi was involved in 2 major controversies n his lifetime. The first was when protesting against the West Indies bouncer barrage at Kingston, the 2nd was against the Englishman using vaseline. Morally, I feel he was correct on both occasions. In West Indies, India may well have won the series but for unfair West Indies tactics which injured the Indian batsmen. On that occasion it was simply a bowling carnage ,which caused outrage in Bedi’s mind. Simply a ploy of inflicting injuries, which acted against the spirit of the game.

I can’t forget an incident when Bedi was labelled as a traitor by the Indian press, after he advised Iqbal Qasim and Tauseef Ahmed on the approach to bowl, on the penultimate day of the Bangalore test in 1987,which was the decider. Ironically,Pakistan triumphed,in a cliff hanger.Bedi simply told them that the pitch would do the tricks and to apply the basics of bowling. This displayed his non partisan and non chauvinistic character.

After his retirement, his zeal and passion for the game still remained undiminished, although his outburst against various aspects of the modern game sometimes made him appear outspoken.

He threatened to dump the Indian cricket team in the sea in 1990, when he was the coach. This was in response to the side failing to chase a modest total against Australia in a tri-series game on that tour.

Bedi lterally was the godfather or architect of North Indian or Delhi cricket, shaping the rise of cricketers like Madan Lal, Mohinder Amarnath ,Surinder Amarnath and Gursharan Singh.

I admired his stand highly of not making the IPL, cricket’s biggest and most lucrative annual event, as a basis or source of selection. To me, it promoted cricket remaining a sport, and not a multi-billion dollar business. He detested players being treated like horses being sold to the highest bidder”. "I don't want to say anything about IPL. “There's not a bigger scam in India than IPL. Nobody here knows where IPL's money comes and goes. The second edition of the IPL happened in South Africa, millions of money was taken out of the country without the permission of Finance Minister," Bedi said at Sahitya Aaj Tak.

Back