British Pakistani Masterchef winner faces online racist abuse

irfan

Local Club Regular
Runs
I must confess I do not watch the show at all as it would bore me to tears so until I came across this article I didn't even know there was a winner or her ethnicity.

Yes some of the comments are harsh but I wouldn't necessarily classify them as racist, the only one that I would deem to be casual racism is actually written by another Asian presumably Pakistani going from his name:
"...Saliha just seemed to make curry which tbf isn't that hard when your Asian" - Asman Hussain

I think many are just jealous of her profession (Doctor) and apparently comfortable upbringing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4502056/Masterchef-winner-Saliha-attacked-racist-trolls.html

This is problem with many overseas desis I've met esp ones in uk

Not only are they lazy and not willing to do the work to succeed but they also want to bring down others who succeeded rather than trying to emulate them

Typical desi self hatred on PP. Only noticing the Pakistani comment and ignoring all the others. If the white people can comment that all she cooks is curries, why shouldn't the Asian be able to say it?

I love cooking. Was an enjoyable season and Saliha was the deserving winner in the end.

Not even able to understand the first batch of tweets.
[MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] you were talking about Australia's racism check out this.

I love cooking. Was an enjoyable season and Saliha was the deserving winner in the end.

I am a bit bored with cooking shows, used to love them a couple of years ago. I haven't seen all of this season's Masterchef so am quite surprised she won it. Generally you need to be good at a much broader range of cooking than just eastern. Seemed like a lovely young lady though so good for her.

Is it true that she won just be making variations of curries? I hope her winning had nothing to do with political correctness in britain and she was well deserving.

I am a bit bored with cooking shows, used to love them a couple of years ago. I haven't seen all of this season's Masterchef so am quite surprised she won it. Generally you need to be good at a much broader range of cooking than just eastern. Seemed like a lovely young lady though so good for her.

It all went down hill after this bloke called it a day:
Ainsley-Harriott.jpg

:)) He had that mainstream appeal, even [MENTION=47617]Red Devil[/MENTION] was a big fan

Smart and very pretty as well, it's in the genes :afridi congrats to her

Some extremely naive commentary. You don't win a coveted title like Masterchef without excelling at a number of styles of cuisine. They frequently challenge the contestants to go cook in Michelin starred restaurants or with certain ingredients. At the more advanced levels you have to do full 3 course meals incorporating starters, main course and dessert as well as cook for some of the leading restaurant critics and Michelen starred chefs. Winning Masterchef usually leads to huge commercial success for whoever the winner is with several having started their own restaurant chains, running their own restaurants and/or writing cook books etc

She won it because her food was the best. To say it was because it's easy for her to make curry's is like saying it's easy for white people to make pork and swine. Face it, people especially the white people were just jealous of a Pak gal being crowned the champ. From what I saw she made many things besides curry's and traditional Pak food. Her intelligence can be judged by the fact that she comes from a family of doctors.

Back