CA, Asia's Biggest Company?

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Today I was looking as CA seem to have sponsored Chris Gayle so I was wondering and thinking is CA Asia's biggest company? I mean the reason why I came to this conclusion was because seeing who they have sponsored (few big names I recall);

Inzamam Ul Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, Saeed Anwar, Brain Charles Lara, Wavell Hinds (if I'm not mistaken), Dilshan, Younis Khan, Misbah Ul Haq and now Chris Gayle.

Discuss.

Don't forget Tamim Iqbal and Shakib Al Hasan(a few years back):p
Jacob Oram,
Marvan Atapattu,
Ijaz Ahmed,
James Franklin,
Kapugedera,
Carl Hooper,
Michael Bevan,
Mahela Jayawardene,
Moeen Khan,
Saleem Malik
Imran Nazir,
Abdul Rehman,
Hammad Azam,
Tim McIntosh,
Umer Amin,
Shoaib Malik

http://www.cawears.com/cricket/page.php?pid=19

No man, SG is still the biggest by far. It produces its own range, plus adidas plus kooks plus......

Sponsorship is just one part of the equation man. SG caters to the huge Indian market, makes bats and softs for Kooks, Adidas, Nike and a host of other brands who have outsourced their manufacturing to them. They also supply balls etc. to the Indian domestic market.

SS sponsors many players but we are talking about ASIA's biggers CRICKET brand right?
I still thing SG is the bigest as zeusky has said

iF we are talking sponsorships then we gotta keep in mind that almost all of the players listed above- even when put together will be charging less than some of the "star" Indian players.

Can you imagine the sponsorships ADIDAS must be paying for KP, Sachin?

I knew this small Indian company who used to sponsor couple of good Ranji (indian domestic league) players but had to stop coz even medium grade "stars" at state level are charging so much money.

They said they could sponsor quite a few Bangla/SL/Zim players with similar amount of money - this was a few years ago.

Made an offer to sponsor to sponsor Gayle @ $250,000 2 years ago. It was rejected. Gives you an idea of what kind of cash they're on.

Made an offer to sponsor to sponsor Gayle @ $250,000 2 years ago. It was rejected. Gives you an idea of what kind of cash they're on.

$250,000 for a year?! :O

That is shocking!

I wonder how much CA and Ihsan must be and are paying him. Seeing from Pakistani perspective I couldn't imagine CA and Ihsan being that rich to be honest, I thought they don't make much but that figure makes me think otherwise.

I say this because I remember last year I was at junior level trails in Lahore where hundreds and hundreds of players took part throughout the country and believe me there was not even a single bat I saw which was top of the line which we buy and see floating on this forum, all were lower end or mid range.

Last edited:
iF we are talking sponsorships then we gotta keep in mind that almost all of the players listed above- even when put together will be charging less than some of the "star" Indian players.

Can you imagine the sponsorships ADIDAS must be paying for KP, Sachin?

I knew this small Indian company who used to sponsor couple of good Ranji (indian domestic league) players but had to stop coz even medium grade "stars" at state level are charging so much money.

They said they could sponsor quite a few Bangla/SL/Zim players with similar amount of money - this was a few years ago.

True - I remember someone telling me that SS or BAS )not sure who it was) was paying in thousands to Sachin for just sporting there logo on his helmet!

The mass market is made up of mid-low grade bats. I would guess a Pakistani maker can make their lowest grade EW bat for about £9.

The mass market is made up of mid-low grade bats. I would guess a Pakistani maker can make their lowest grade EW bat for about £9.

True - I remember James Vincent (from Lekka) telling me I think £20 for a top of the line Pakistani bat...

I cant imagine paying a player numbers like $250 000 a year (And its obviously more).

I mean depending on grade of wood etc, then theyd have to sell 5000+ bats probably to just get there money back. And times that by the amount of players they are paying (Khan, Dilshan etc - how can tehy afford it?)

I cant imagine paying a player numbers like $250 000 a year (And its obviously more).

I mean depending on grade of wood etc, then theyd have to sell 5000+ bats probably to just get there money back. And times that by the amount of players they are paying (Khan, Dilshan etc - how can tehy afford it?)

Exactly my point mate!

I wonder how is that possible.

they have softs and stff on that aswell + they import and export clefts i thin kthat ow it works atleast.

what has been you biggest signing?

Who was the vendor that made the 250K offer to Gayle...Just give me hint...I know you probably dont want to name names.

Last edited:
£100k excluding bonuses biggest signing

Was that for some cricketer that has retired from International cricket or someone who was currently representing his country?

- I have also wondered how powerful are those contracts? I am assuming that you have or you currently work for a non asian vendor.
have you heard about any player breaking their equipment contract and pay legal penalties for it?

- Asian vendors dont seem to have a powerful contracts as players change vendor very frequently. Have you ever seen a contract from an asian vendor? How is it different from a UK/AUS/SA vendor.

- Do asian players not sign yearly or long term contracts? as they change vendors on more frequent basis.

- Do players preferred a series by series or pay as you go contract? what is your opinion on it?

Last edited:
Was that for some cricketer that has retired from International cricket or someone who was currently representing his country?

- I have also wondered how powerful are those contracts? I am assuming that you have or you currently work for a non asian vendor.
have you heard about any player breaking their equipment contract and pay legal penalties for it?

- Asian vendors dont seem to have a powerful contracts as players change vendor very frequently. Have you ever seen a contract from an asian vendor? How is it different from a UK/AUS/SA vendor.

- Do asian players not sign yearly or long term contracts? as they change vendors on more frequent basis.

- Do players preferred a series by series or pay as you go contract? what is your opinion on it?
That particular player had retired from International cricket, but was playing IPL. A top class batsman and household name.

- You see players breaking equipment contracts all the time, Afridi in nets using other bats is a high profile example. But I haven't heard of any legal penalties. Though we did terminate a contract with one of our players for using an bat with another brands branding on the edge. We wanted to let him go anyway as he wasn't scoring runs and was on the fringes of his international side - the branding provided a perfect excuse. If it was one of our top players, we'd probably have slapped them on the wrist and sent them some new bats!

- Never seen an Asian vendors contract. We used lawyers to write ours, and they're very in depth. Some players even had clauses that we could freeze the contract if they were injured for long periods.

- I think it depends on the players and the agents. I know a lot of the Indian players sign contracts purely for international cricket, meaning they become available for the IPL. VVS Laxman is one such example, he was free to sign with anyone during his spell at Lancashire.

- Players (or more specifically their agent) prefer year long contracts. Less work and hassle for them I suppose.

Last edited:
Depends. The in demand players like Warner and Pollard you'd ask for. But the majority of the time you just get what I presume is a blanket email from the agent saying "that X player's contract is coming up, are you interested?"

02thoeva the figure you mentioned above is of a Non-Asian brand I presume, so do you have an idea how much does Asian brand give to there players?

That particular player had retired from International cricket, but was playing IPL. A top class batsman and household name.

- You see players breaking equipment contracts all the time, Afridi in nets using other bats is a high profile example. But I haven't heard of any legal penalties. Though we did terminate a contract with one of our players for using an bat with another brands branding on the edge. We wanted to let him go anyway as he wasn't scoring runs and was on the fringes of his international side - the branding provided a perfect excuse. If it was one of our top players, we'd probably have slapped them on the wrist and sent them some new bats!

- Never seen an Asian vendors contract. We used lawyers to write ours, and they're very in depth. Some players even had clauses that we could freeze the contract if they were injured for long periods.

- I think it depends on the players and the agents. I know a lot of the Indian players sign contracts purely for international cricket, meaning they become available for the IPL. VVS Laxman is one such example, he was free to sign with anyone during his spell at Lancashire.

- Players (or more specifically their agent) prefer year long contracts. Less work and hassle for them I suppose.

Thanks for the info, BTW I think I can guess who that household name is "Not every cricketer can be labeled as household or kitchen or barbecue grilling person "

whats your opinion on players having contract with vendor A but only using his sticker on a plain bat by vendor B?

and how many bats (on average) are supplied to player per year or per series?

- what about softs? and how often are those replaced for a player?

- in 90's a WI had developed a reputation for ripping off the sponsor by asking for equipment very frequently and selling it to other people. I guess perhaps back in 90's contract amounts were not as much as they are now.

- what would an average player's contract be in early and mid and late 90's and now a days?

Once again thanks for the info

02thoeva the figure you mentioned above is of a Non-Asian brand I presume, so do you have an idea how much does Asian brand give to there players?
Not a clue, what majority of other brands are paying. But I would think in a similar ballpark.

whats your opinion on players having contract with vendor A but only using his sticker on a plain bat by vendor B?
Before I'd always been very much against it. But it's part and parcel of the game. Players like to experiment and enjoy getting new bats as much as us on the forums. In addition to that some players are and were a pain to deal with and it was very difficult to get our bats to match their previous bats. My priority was always improving the quality of our production bats, I didn't have the time or money to fly and sit with every player and ensure their bats were perfect.

Just because a player stickers up their bats, doesn't mean either are better than each other. It just means they're happy with those bats. Everyone's an individual.

and how many bats (on average) are supplied to player per year or per series?
County players usually 2 at a time. Send one back if it breaks and get it replaced.
IPL and top players. As many as they want. Often 10 a year.

We used to supply 2 styles of bats, so they got double the bats!

- what about softs? and how often are those replaced for a player?
4 pairs of gloves a season for a County player. 6 for a top County batsman (1000+ runs a season). Guys who were playing IPL wanted ridiculous amounts, like 10/15 pairs of gloves for the tournament. All completely handmade to their spec.

Pads used to be 1 of each colour. They last well.

Everyone (bar IPL) used almost off the shelf. Only exception was one logo was removed from the pad.

- in 90's a WI had developed a reputation for ripping off the sponsor by asking for equipment very frequently and selling it to other people. I guess perhaps back in 90's contract amounts were not as much as they are now.
Still goes on. There's a joke that on a rainy day the players in the dressing room all sit round and ring up their sponsors to see what gear they can get.

what would an average player's contract be in early and mid and late 90's and now a days?
I honestly don't know. And wouldn't like to guess.

Last edited:
Does Sondhi have a CNC machine too? I mean the major bat outsourcing happens with SG and Sondhi meaning the finishing of their bats might be a little more consistent and better than some of the other companies, right?

Does Sondhi have a CNC machine too? I mean the major bat outsourcing happens with SG and Sondhi meaning the finishing of their bats might be a little more consistent and better than some of the other companies, right?
I've never dealt with Sondhi. But posted a video on YouTube where there operation looked very professional. I believe they incorporate a reasonable amount of machinery into their work, but can't say to what degree.

Sondhi, SS and SG are reknowned as the best OEM suppliers in the industry.

Before I'd always been very much against it. But it's part and parcel of the game. Players like to experiment and enjoy getting new bats as much as us on the forums. In addition to that some players are and were a pain to deal with and it was very difficult to get our bats to match their previous bats. My priority was always improving the quality of our production bats, I didn't have the time or money to fly and sit with every player and ensure their bats were perfect.

Just because a player stickers up their bats, doesn't mean either are better than each other. It just means they're happy with those bats. Everyone's an individual.

County players usually 2 at a time. Send one back if it breaks and get it replaced.
IPL and top players. As many as they want. Often 10 a year.

We used to supply 2 styles of bats, so they got double the bats!

4 pairs of gloves a season for a County player. 6 for a top County batsman (1000+ runs a season). Guys who were playing IPL wanted ridiculous amounts, like 10/15 pairs of gloves for the tournament. All completely handmade to their spec.

Pads used to be 1 of each colour. They last well.

Everyone (bar IPL) used almost off the shelf. Only exception was one logo was removed from the pad.

Still goes on. There's a joke that on a rainy day the players in the dressing room all sit round and ring up their sponsors to see what gear they can get.

I honestly don't know. And wouldn't like to guess.

Thanks for all the info man....

One last qs. Growing up what was your favorite bat? How did you get into this profession/industry?

Loved the Woodworm range.

I'm only young, but got into it at a young age by designing a website for a local bespoke manufacturer. Then I left school at 16, flew to India and worked in a batmaking factory there for a couple of months. Flew back home and landed the job at a UK manufacturer.

I'm no longer in cricket though. Graphic Design.

Loved the Woodworm range.

I'm only young, but got into it at a young age by designing a website for a local bespoke manufacturer. Then I left school at 16, flew to India and worked in a batmaking factory there for a couple of months. Flew back home and landed the job at a UK manufacturer.

I'm no longer in cricket though. Graphic Design.

You just promoted me to ask another Qs.

- How do you think the bat manufacturing industry in India was different than in UK? What was one good aspect of manufacturing in India that you think was best and where do you think they can learn from UK industry?

02thoeva mate I think you should make "Ask 02thoeva anything about bat making industry, players etc" it will be certainly be hit, I do sometime have lots of questions but I'm scared to ask you as I fear you might get angry :)) :))

Back