Can Usman Khan replace Sarfaraz Ahmed as Pakistan's second-choice wicket-keeper in Test cricket?

Rana

Hall of Famer
Runs
The management clearly has to carry Sarfaraz as the second keeper in case of a concussion to Rizwan. They have been criticised for not investing or picking a younger keeper instead, but they feel no one is ready for this.

Considering this, why not keep Usman Khan on the bench or maybe even play him as a lower order batter in Test? He is in excellent form, feels very comfortable on these home wickets. The guy doesn’t have the best technique, but you need a player like this for quick, vital runs down the order to help your team gain momentum or counter attack an opposition. This guy will improve his overall cricket too when playing in tough Test match situations.

He can be very useful I believe. Don’t kill me for my view.

The management clearly has to carry Sarfaraz as the second keeper in case of a concussion to Rizwan. They have been criticised for not investing or picking a younger keeper instead, but they feel no one is ready for this.

Considering this, why not keep Usman Khan on the bench or maybe even play him as a lower order batter in Test? He is in excellent form, feels very comfortable on these home wickets. The guy doesn’t have the best technique, but you need a player like this for quick, vital runs down the order to help your team gain momentum or counter attack an opposition. This guy will improve his overall cricket too when playing in tough Test match situations.

He can be very useful I believe. Don’t kill me for my view.
Usman Khan should be encouraged to play test and should be groomed as the next keeper in all formats due to his correct intent and approach and lobe for his country plus the risky decison he took to stay in pak over UAE

In a just world rizzu shouldn't even be in the team? He should only be in the test team at no 7 and that's it?

Sarfi is old now, he's more or less finished.

Usman Khan should be encouraged to play test and should be groomed as the next keeper in all formats due to his correct intent and approach and lobe for his country plus the risky decison he took to stay in pak over UAE

In a just world rizzu shouldn't even be in the team? He should only be in the test team at no 7 and that's it?

Sarfi is old now, he's more or less finished.
Mate I would honestly just throw him in right now as the 2nd keeper. He won’t play 4 day cricket as he wouldn’t be too bothered about it. He would however just play for Pakistan straight up wherever they need them.

I get this thing about rewarding domestic performers. Their are keepers/batters grinding hoping for their chance. Whose going to improve you though? Who actually has the mettle to play international cricket within them?

Australia through Warner right in, they are going to throw JFM into Tests as well at some point.

Mate I would honestly just throw him in right now as the 2nd keeper. He won’t play 4 day cricket as he wouldn’t be too bothered about it. He would however just play for Pakistan straight up wherever they need them.

I get this thing about rewarding domestic performers. Their are keepers/batters grinding hoping for their chance. Whose going to improve you though? Who actually has the mettle to play international cricket within them?

Australia through Warner right in, they are going to throw JFM into Tests as well at some point.
I'm well aware. Never said that he needs to play 4day.

I want him in right now aka groomed eight now

Usman khan first class cricket stats

Matches- 2
Runs - 39
Average - 9
Highest score -22

:misbah

How he is eligible to play test cricket .

Usman is not a Test class WK. The difference in his glove work and Rizwan’s is day and night.

Pakistan needs to find a new backup WK for Test cricket.

Not a bad idea in the short run. I dont know if he can survive as a keeper in the long format though.

I like Usman as a batter. He has limited ability but plays pretty freely.

Not a bad idea in the short run. I dont know if he can survive as a keeper in the long format though.

I like Usman as a batter. He has limited ability but plays pretty freely.
First time I agree with you, but if the OP said rizwan and nor sarfi it would have been a war

Not sure if he can survive in longer format, moreover hasn't done anything substantial in other formats too at international level. I would rather keep Haseebullah as all format backup WK.

Not sure if he can survive in longer format, moreover hasn't done anything substantial in other formats too at international level. I would rather keep Haseebullah as all format backup WK.
Haseebullah is overrated. You will all see it soon. He’s ok in flashes, and is easily tied down against spin. He won’t improve Pakistan

Haseebullah is overrated. You will all see it soon. He’s ok in flashes, and is easily tied down against spin. He won’t improve Pakistan
He is young and should work on his technical weakness. That's only possible when he gets chance at higher level.

He is young and should work on his technical weakness. That's only possible when he gets chance at higher level.
If you are weak at a lower level, how will you improve at a higher level?

Anyone who can bowl off spin around the wicket will just tie down Haseebullah. He’s also a batsman who is searching for the fuller delivery. Anything back of a length and he is caught napping in general.

I guess you can use the same argument for anyone tbh but that’s why I suggested Usman instead as he seems like he enjoys a challenge or a fight.

I dont usman khan would be fit for test cricket, need to invest in younger back up wicket keeper option

Back