Chadwick Boseman: Black Panther star dies of cancer aged 43

saadsahabjee

Tape Ball Star
Runs
US actor Chadwick Boseman, best known for playing Black Panther in the hit Marvel superhero franchise, has died of cancer aged 43.

He died at home in Los Angeles with his wife and family by his side, a statement posted on social media said.

Boseman was diagnosed with colon cancer four years ago but had not made the information public.

The news has left fans and the film world stunned. Get Out director Jordan Peele, said it was "a crushing blow".

"A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you many of the films you have come to love so much," his family said in the statement.

"From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson's Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and several more - all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy. It was the honor of his career to bring King T'Challa to life in Black Panther."

Boseman came to prominence playing real-life figures - baseball great Jackie Robinson in 2013's 42, and soul singer James Brown in 2014's Get on Up.

However, it will be as the titular Black Panther in the blockbuster 2018 film he will be best remembered.

Boseman stars as the ruler of Wakanda, a fictional African nation with the most advanced technology on earth.

As well as winning critical praise and taking more than $1.3 billion US dollars (£973m) at cinemas worldwide, the film was widely seen as a cultural milestone for having a largely black cast and a black director, Ryan Coogler.

Boseman said last year that the film had changed what it means to be "young, gifted and black".

Black Panther was the first superhero film to get a nomination for best picture at the Oscars.

He also played the same role in other Marvel films Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

A sequel was in the works and due to come out in 2022, with Boseman set to return.

The news of his death came as a shock to many as Boseman never discussed his diagnosis publicly.

However, fans started raising concerns over his health this year due to noticeable weight loss.

Tributes have already begun pouring in for the star, including from actor and fellow Marvel star Mark Ruffalo.

Actor Dwayne Johnson tweeted: "Thank you for shining your light and sharing your talent with the world. My love and strength to your family."

Political figures have also started paying their respects, including Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris.

Born in South Carolina as the son of a nurse and an upholstery entrepreneur, Boseman graduated from Howard University in Washington DC.

Despite playing roles on television, it wasn't until 2013 that he hit the big time in 42.

In 2018, Boseman returned to his university to speak at its graduation ceremony.

"Some of you here struggled against the university itself," he said to the mostly minority ethnic audience.

"Many of you will leave Howard and enter systems and institutions that have a history of discrimination and marginalisation.

"The fact that you have struggled with this university which you love is a sign that you can use your education to improve the world that you are entering."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53955912

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first read in the web, I thought I perhaps misinterpreted or some click bait title. It isn't.... Rest in peace. 2020 has been a rough phase.....

I had no idea about the Colon cancer..Truly shocking news today..He seemed like a very down to earth chap. Thoughts and prayers are with his family :(

Add Chadwick Boseman in the title, respect his legacy. He wasn't just a character. RIP.

RIP - very sad that a young and talented life ends at 43.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Heartbroken. My friend and fellow Bison Chadwick Boseman was brilliant, kind, learned, and humble. He left too early but his life made a difference. Sending my sincere condolences to his family. <a href="https://t.co/C5xGkUi9oZ">pic.twitter.com/C5xGkUi9oZ</a></p>— Kamala Harris (@KamalaHarris) <a href="https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1299545362479411201?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Black Panther is his greatest legacy and he will be always be remembered as King T'Challa of Wakanda.

Yibambe!

RIP.. So he acted on those films while fighting with cancer, Respect..

He was diagnosed with cancer in 2016 - yet continued acting and carried on his life without asking for sympathy (which he would have rightly have been entitled to)

Respect for this man.

We all need a reality check (including myself). To think Chadwick Boseman had terminal cancer, battled for 4 years whilst continuing to live life and work as if nothing is wrong, puts into perspective your own problems. That man defines a hero.

Be thankful your problems aren't even a 1/10 of what that man endured. IT'S NEVER THAT DEEP!

RIP Chadwick Boseman

Absolutely amazing that he filmed so many movies and blockbusters in between surgeries and chemo, and he did it so well and with such a smile on his face no one even knew he had been suffering for 4 years. That is a different kind of strength.

RIP Chadwick

Chadwick Boseman: How Black Panther inspired children and adults

Chadwick Boseman's role as Black Panther delighted children and adults around the world.

Boseman played T'Challa, a superhero and leader of Wakanda, in the film Black Panther - which was praised as a cultural milestone for having a primarily black cast.

The character was seen as an inspiration for young black people in particular - as Black Panther was the first high-profile black Marvel superhero, and Wakanda was a strong country with the most advanced technology on Earth.

As tributes pour in for Boseman, who died of cancer aged 43, many are remembering the impact that his character had on them, and their families.

Children - and teachers - had even adopted the "Wakanda handshake" after the film first came out.

The film featured strong female characters, including T'Challa's sister Shuri - an inventor and chief science officer of Wakanda.

And it wasn't just children who were inspired - the film came at a time when awareness of the importance of diversity and representation on screen was growing - and cosplayers and adult fans were also keen to celebrate the style of Black Panther characters.

Read regular people's tributes: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53957685

It took me quite some time to remember who he was. Havent watched his recent movies but i knew i had watched his movie in the past as i recognized him.

Just now i came accross a poster of 42 and realize he was the guy who played jackie robbinson.

Was a very good actor. I also saw him in draft day.

Man he was really young

We all need a reality check (including myself). To think Chadwick Boseman had terminal cancer, battled for 4 years whilst continuing to live life and work as if nothing is wrong, puts into perspective your own problems. That man defines a hero.

Be thankful your problems aren't even a 1/10 of what that man endured. IT'S NEVER THAT DEEP!

RIP Chadwick Boseman

Came here to say something similar. His dedication to his craft is insanely admirable, filming 4-5 movies in between surgeries and chemo, even went to cancer hospitals to brighten the days of young kids with the disease, not once bragging about it on social media let alone sharing about what was going on with himself.

RIP.

Big names from the world of entertainment, sport and politics are paying tribute to American actor Chadwick Boseman, who has died aged 43.

The Black Panther star was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2016 but had never spoken about it publicly.

His family said he had filmed many of his recent movies while undergoing "countless surgeries".

Among those celebrating his life was former US President Barack Obama, who said the actor was "blessed".

"Chadwick came to the White House to work with kids when he was playing Jackie Robinson," Mr Obama tweeted, referring to the 2013 film 42.

"You could tell right away that he was blessed. To be young, gifted, and Black; to use that power to give them heroes to look up to; to do it all while in pain - what a use of his years."

Racing driver Lewis Hamilton dedicated his pole position at the Belgian Grand Prix to the actor.

"He's inspired a whole generation of young black men and women and provided them with a true superhero to look up to. Rest in power my friend," he wrote on Twitter.

Boseman was born in South Carolina and began his acting career in television roles.

He rose to prominence playing real-life figures, such as baseball great Jackie Robinson and soul singer James Brown in 2014's Get on Up. But it is his performance as superhero Black Panther for which he is best remembered.

In the 2018 blockbuster of the same name, Boseman stars as the ruler of Wakanda, a fictional African nation with the most advanced technology on Earth.

It was a box office hit and earned Boseman critical acclaim, becoming the first superhero film to get a nomination for best picture at the Oscars.

Boseman also played the role in the Marvel films Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

Fellow Marvel stars were among those paying tribute to him on Saturday.

Mark Ruffalo, who plays the Hulk, said the "tragedies amassing this year have only been made more profound" by his death.

Tom Holland, who is currently playing Spiderman, called Boseman a role model for millions around the world, while Captain America star Chris Evans and Thor actor Chris Hemsworth said they were heartbroken by his death.

Black Panther was widely seen as a cultural milestone for having a largely black cast and a black director.

Boseman said last year that the film had changed what it means to be "young, gifted and black".

The eldest son of civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr praised Boseman for his range of roles, saying he "brought history to life" in his depictions of real black men and was "a superhero to many" as Black Panther.

Award-winning musician John Legend called Boseman "a bright light" who "always seemed to carry our ancestors with him".

Ava DuVernay, who has directed a string of powerful films and documentaries including Selma, about the fight for civil rights in the 1960s, also paid tribute.

Others lauded the strength he showed in acting through his cancer treatment.

"Showing us all that greatness between surgeries and chemotherapy. This is what dignity looks like," tweeted TV star and author Oprah Winfrey.

Actress Halle Berry described him as an "incredible man with immeasurable talent, who leaned into life regardless of his personal battles".

Marvel Studios, which created Black Panther, said the actor's legacy would "live on forever".

The final tweet posted to Boseman's Twitter account announcing that he had died is now the most 'liked' tweet of all time.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/aZ2JzDf5ai">pic.twitter.com/aZ2JzDf5ai</a></p>— Chadwick Boseman (@chadwickboseman) <a href="https://twitter.com/chadwickboseman/status/1299530165463199747?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53934118

Lewis Hamilton said he was extra motivated to execute a "perfect" Belgian GP qualifying performance so that he could pay an "important and impactful" tribute to actor Chadwick Boseman.

Hamilton put on a Saturday masterclass in the Spa shootout, beating closest rival Valtteri Bottas by more than half a second and twice blitzing the track record.

Sky F1's Martin Brundle said Hamilton was on a "different level" - and the championship leader agreed.

"Today, some of those laps I couldn't do any better," admitted Hamilton to Sky F1. "It's not always the case you can go and do that, but we got the car in a really good place, really happy with the balance.

"Then it was just about building, each lap getting better and better, I was really aiming to extend the gap a little bit further.

"I wasn't expecting that but the [record-breaking] lap was beautiful, I can't wait to watch it back, and it's a really special one for me."

Hamilton's latest exploits came with the tragic passing of Boseman, the star of blockbuster films such as Black Panther, weighing on his mind.

After paying tribute to Boseman, who has died aged 43 after a four-year battle with colon cancer, on team radio and with a 'Wakanda' salute on his Mercedes car in parc ferme, the Englishman admitted the actor's death provided him with even more incentive to excel.

"I wanted it to be perfect today, I wanted it to show strength, I wanted to be out in front on my own to make it significant, important and impactful because today's a special day to be able to dedicate that to Chadwick," an emotional Hamilton stated.

"I feel very honoured to do that."

Hamilton will start Sunday's race on pole, with Max Verstappen and Daniel Ricciardo just behind Bottas on the second row for one of the most exciting starts to a race of the season.

After the iconic Eau Rouge, a long straight gives plenty of chances to overtake - while rain is also forecast.

Hamilton added that Boseman, who he says he met and was "humbled by" in New York, "moved a generation".

"I remember as a kid, superheroes are just super, aren't they," Hamilton said. "I always said I wanted to be Ayrton Senna or Superman; Superman was my favourite being in the world because he had such good morals, saving people and strength and all the things humans wish we could have.

"When he died, I was heartbroken. What I do remember is there was no action hero the same colour as me, and in a lot of scenarios around the world there is under-representation. Young kids, if they can't see it, they think it's not possible.

"What he did with Black Panther, it really moved a generation, not only the younger generation but also the older generation. It signified such an incredibly important shift in the film industry, and these young kids can now see it is possible to have a black superhero out there.

"It was so powerful and the film had many, many black actors in it also, I'm so proud of him.

"But that's not the only great one he's done! Jackie Robinson and James Brown; he did so much in such a small time at such a young age, and he also did it while he was fighting cancer. That shows the strength he had.

"In such an important time in history today, when we're still fighting police brutality and inequality, he was one of those shining stars that signified power and strength, so it's been an emotional day."

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...an-gp-qualifying-after-chadwick-boseman-death

Black Panther director Ryan Coogler has written a long and loving tribute to the film's star Chadwick Boseman, who has died aged 43.

"Chad was an anomaly. He was calm. Assured. Constantly studying," wrote the director on Sunday morning.

"The ancestors spoke through him," he added. "What an incredible mark he's left for us."

Boseman died on Thursday at home in Los Angeles with his wife, Taylor Simone Ledward, and family by his side.

He had been diagnosed with bowel cancer four years ago, undergoing treatment while filming hit movies like Avengers: Endgame, 21 Bridges and Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods.

However, he never discussed his diagnosis in public, and Coogler said "he shielded his collaborators from his suffering."

Here is the director's statement in full.

Before sharing my thoughts on the passing of the great Chadwick Boseman, I first offer my condolences to his family who meant so very much to him. To his wife, Simone, especially.

I inherited Marvel and the Russo Brothers' casting choice of T'Challa. It is something that I will forever be grateful for. The first time I saw Chad's performance as T'Challa, it was in an unfinished cut of Captain America: Civil War. I was deciding whether or not directing Black Panther was the right choice for me. I'll never forget, sitting in an editorial suite on the Disney Lot and watching his scenes. His first with Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, then, with the South African cinema titan, John Kani as T'Challa's father, King T'Chaka. It was at that moment I knew I wanted to make this movie. After Scarlett's character leaves them, Chad and John began conversing in a language I had never heard before. It sounded familiar, full of the same clicks and smacks that young black children would make in the States. The same clicks that we would often be chided for being disrespectful or improper. But, it had a musicality to it that felt ancient, powerful, and African.

In my meeting after watching the film, I asked Nate Moore, one of the producers of the film, about the language. "Did you guys make it up?" Nate replied, "That's Xhosa, John Kani's native language. He and Chad decided to do the scene like that on set, and we rolled with it." I thought to myself, "He just learned lines in another language, that day?" I couldn't conceive how difficult that must have been, and even though I hadn't met Chad, I was already in awe of his capacity as actor.

I learned later that there was much conversation over how T'Challa would sound in the film. The decision to have Xhosa be the official language of Wakanda was solidified by Chad, a native of South Carolina, because he was able to learn his lines in Xhosa, there on the spot. He also advocated for his character to speak with an African accent, so that he could present T'Challa to audiences as an African king, whose dialect had not been conquered by the West.

I finally met Chad in person in early 2016, once I signed onto the film. He snuck past journalists that were congregated for a press junket I was doing for "Creed," and met with me in the green room. We talked about our lives, my time playing football in college, and his time at Howard studying to be a director, about our collective vision for T'Challa and Wakanda. We spoke about the irony of how his former Howard classmate Ta-Nehisi Coates was writing T'Challa's current arc with Marvel Comics. And how Chad knew Howard student Prince Jones, who's murder by a police officer inspired Coates' memoir Between The World and Me.

I noticed then that Chad was an anomaly. He was calm. Assured. Constantly studying. But also kind, comforting, had the warmest laugh in the world, and eyes that seen much beyond his years, but could still sparkle like a child seeing something for the first time.

That was the first of many conversations. He was a special person. We would often speak about heritage and what it means to be African. When preparing for the film, he would ponder every decision, every choice, not just for how it would reflect on himself, but how those choices could reverberate. "They not ready for this, what we are doing…" "This is Star Wars, this is Lord of the Rings, but for us… and bigger!" He would say this to me while we were struggling to finish a dramatic scene, stretching into double overtime. Or while he was covered in body paint, doing his own stunts. Or crashing into frigid water, and foam landing pads. I would nod and smile, but I didn't believe him. I had no idea if the film would work. I wasn't sure I knew what I was doing. But I look back and realize that Chad knew something we all didn't. He was playing the long game. All while putting in the work. And work he did.

He would come to auditions for supporting roles, which is not common for lead actors in big budget movies. He was there for several M'Baku auditions. In Winston Duke's, he turned a chemistry read into a wrestling match. Winston broke his bracelet. In Letitia Wright's audition for Shuri, she pierced his royal poise with her signature humour, and would bring about a smile to T'Challa's face that was 100% Chad.

While filming the movie, we would meet at the office or at my rental home in Atlanta, to discuss lines and different ways to add depth to each scene. We talked costumes, military practices. He said to me "Wakandans have to dance during the coronations. If they just stand there with spears, what separates them from Romans?" In early drafts of the script. Eric Killmonger's character would ask T'Challa to be buried in Wakanda. Chad challenged that and asked, "What if Killmonger asked to be buried somewhere else?"

Chad deeply valued his privacy, and I wasn't privy to the details of his illness. After his family released their statement, I realised that he was living with his illness the entire time I knew him. Because he was a caretaker, a leader, and a man of faith, dignity and pride, he shielded his collaborators from his suffering. He lived a beautiful life. And he made great art. Day after day, year after year. That was who he was. He was an epic firework display. I will tell stories about being there for some of the brilliant sparks 'till the end of my days. What an incredible mark he's left for us.

I haven't grieved a loss this acute before. I spent the last year preparing, imagining and writing words for him to say, that we weren't destined to see. It leaves me broken knowing that I won't be able to watch another close-up of him in the monitor again or walk up to him and ask for another take.

It hurts more to know that we can't have another conversation, or Facetime, or text message exchange. He would send vegetarian recipes and eating regimens for my family and me to follow during the pandemic. He would check in on me and my loved ones, even as he dealt with the scourge of cancer.

In African cultures, we often refer to loved ones that have passed on as ancestors. Sometimes you are genetically related. Sometimes you are not. I had the privilege of directing scenes of Chad's character, T'Challa, communicating with the ancestors of Wakanda. We were in Atlanta, in an abandoned warehouse, with bluescreens, and massive movie lights, but Chad's performance made it feel real. I think it was because from the time that I met him, the ancestors spoke through him.

It's no secret to me now how he was able to skilfully portray some of our most notable ones. I had no doubt that he would live on and continue to bless us with more. But it is with a heavy heart and a sense of deep gratitude to have ever been in his presence, that I have to reckon with the fact that Chad is an ancestor now. And I know that he will watch over us, until we meet again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53968816

The MTV Video Music Awards were dedicated to Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman, who died on Friday aged 43 after privately battling colon cancer for four years.

Host Keke Palmer paid tribute to Boseman at the virtual ceremony, saying: "Before we get into the music tonight, we need to talk about the devastating loss of Chadwick Boseman, an actor whose talent and passion is a true inspiration to all the fans he touched and everyone he encountered.

"We dedicate tonight's show to a man whose spirit touched so many. He is a true hero. Not just on screen but in everything he did. His impact lives forever."

There was also a video tribute to Boseman which included his appearance at the 2018 MTV Movie and TV Awards.

Palmer's opening monologue also contained references to the tumultuous year, touching on the coronavirus pandemic as well the social unrest sparked by the death of George Floyd in May.

"We can never tolerate police brutality," the actress and singer said from a set near the Empire State Building.

"It's our time to be the change we want to see. We need to come together, and music has that power."

https://news.sky.com/story/chadwick...deo-music-awards-in-touching-tribute-12060096

Back