Cracked my bat while knocking it in

vndrlylgeek

Debutant
Runs
Hey guys,

Quick question. I was knocking in a new bat that was gifted to me. I was working on the edges, and in doing so, I noticed a slight crack on the side. I think I may have hit it with the mallet dead on the side on that spot by accident. Now it's a bit caved in on that spot and I can't get the half an inch below it to line up. I did the other side before this one and that looks great.

Once I noticed the cracks, I stopped knocking, sanded the cracks and oiled my bat again as it still looked a bit dry. I'll go home today and see how it looks. I'll sand the cracks again if needed.

I'm just wondering what I should do now. Should I keep knocking the edges above and below that spot? I will tape it up at the toe once I'm done knocking anyway and will apply a scuff sheet, but I'm just wondering how I should go about the rest of the knocking process.

See pictures below.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

bat2.jpg

bat1.jpg

Don't try and get the area above or below it to line up, that's a fool's errand. How big is the crack? If it's big, you might need glue (PVA glue is the preferred option I think, but I'm not entirely sure). If it isn't that big then I reckon you'll be OK with a bit of bat tape.

It sucks because it's a brand new bat but after you've had a few games with it you won't care, if you're doing it right then no bat stays pristine for too long.

How are you knocking in the edges by the way? It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks a bit like you've been hammering the edges themselves from the side, which is a big no-no.

Don't try and get the area above or below it to line up, that's a fool's errand. How big is the crack? If it's big, you might need glue (PVA glue is the preferred option I think, but I'm not entirely sure). If it isn't that big then I reckon you'll be OK with a bit of bat tape.

It sucks because it's a brand new bat but after you've had a few games with it you won't care, if you're doing it right then no bat stays pristine for too long.

They're not terribly big, I suppose. Can you see the pictures? The first one is of the cracks.

How are you knocking in the edges by the way? It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks a bit like you've been hammering the edges themselves from the side, which is a big no-no.

I was hitting the edges at a 45 degree angle. Now that I think about it, I might have been hitting it too hard, and must have missed one and hit it fully side on. Gahhhhhhh.

Back