"Cricket today has a huge financial side and many players are focused on making money": Waqar Younis

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Waqar Younis speaking during an interview on a local TV show:

“This is an important step in bringing cricket to smaller cities. People have been eager and waiting for good cricket. I believe this mix of international stars and young players will work well.”

“If we look at the past 30-40 years, our bowling attack was always seen as a force to be reckoned with. But recently, the standard has declined somewhat. And it's not just about bowling anymore. In our era, cricket was a bit different. There weren't as many innovative shots or high-scoring games as we see today. If we played today, we might have struggled more if these kinds of shots and scores existed.”

“The new rules and regulations, like power plays and 40-over games, have made it tougher for bowlers. Some of our bowlers don't fully understand how to adapt to these new rules. But we’re trying to guide them, not just for this tournament, but for the work that will happen behind the scenes afterward. It's the training camps that are crucial, where they’ll sharpen their skills. As I said, we need to modernize our cricket. All of this will happen in the background, and I believe it will make a difference.”

“Take hockey, for example. When it was played on grass, we produced many great players. But when the game changed, we struggled because we didn’t adapt. Hockey has become more scientific now, with people collecting data and analyzing what works and what doesn’t. This is happening all over the world. I think we’re lacking that approach in cricket too.”

“One of the biggest setbacks we’ve faced is the isolation of Pakistan cricket for 10-12 years. The stadiums in Pakistan are not up to international standards. We’ve fallen behind in that area too. We’re already seeing signs of decline in cricket, and it feels like it’s going the same way as hockey. If we don’t fix it now, it might be too late.”

“Pakistan is full of natural talent. If you look at places like Peshawar or Quetta, you’ll see a lot of fast bowlers coming from there. In the past, most fast bowlers came from Punjab, and more batters came from Karachi or Sindh. So, we are producing bowlers, but there’s been a drop in those raw, tearaway fast bowlers we used to see.”

“If we take care of the players, the players will take care of the game. It’s unfair to expect them to just go out and win if we don't support them properly. Everyone needs to think wisely—the cricket board, the media, us mentors—about how to move forward. Maybe in a year or 18 months, you’ll start seeing improvements.”

“We were lucky to have role models when we played. Now, cricket has a huge financial side, and many players are focused on making money. My advice to young players is: take care of the game, and the money will take care of itself. I feel like some players lack the confidence or belief that success will come with dedication. I hope they learn not only how to play but how to carry themselves. Once they stop worrying about everything else, they’ll start delivering results.”

“Change needs to come from the top first. Once there’s a clear direction for where we’re going, that understanding can trickle down. In the past, we didn’t play as much cricket, but the best players still emerged. Now, domestic cricket will have to be adjusted to accommodate this new tournament. When players rise through the ranks, results will follow, and there will be accountability. Fitness will improve, and with stability, everything will fall into place.”

“All young players should have the chance to play cricket, but first-class cricket needs to be tough. I remember when I was 17-18 years old, playing first-class cricket felt like playing a Test match. It was hard. If we raise the standard of first-class cricket and make it something young players strive for, their fitness and skills will improve.”

“When we talk about cricket in Australia, England, or India, they also have a fast track for rising players. That option should be there for us too. But players still need to grind in domestic cricket. When you come up after working hard, the challenges at the top level don’t seem as daunting. It’s not that everything becomes easy, but you adjust more quickly.”

“We need to identify that our white-ball cricket should be separate from our red-ball cricket. Right now, it seems like Test cricket is suffering more. We’re not as bad as it might seem, but the mindset for Test cricket and white-ball cricket should be different. We should have specialized players for each format. And for those selected for Test cricket, we need to ensure they’re financially secure so they don’t feel left out. If we can strike that balance, both white-ball cricket and red-ball cricket can be taken care of.”

That's funny coming from someone who has just signed a 3-year, PKR 1.5 cr deal for this farce of a tournament, in which he will do nothing besides live in a hotel and hang out in the Faisalabad Stadium dressing room for two weeks.

To be fair to Waqar, you can say what you want about him, but he put his body on the line for Pakistan. Nothing is more important than your health, but even after his career changing injury, he worked extremely hard and remained competitive, he gave the green shirt all he had despite losing some of his physical tools. Franchise cricket or not, the players now simply don’t have the same drive.

Now I don’t agree with his coaching because he expects players to have the same passion he did and unfortunately this leads to disastrous results and poor management.

Still, he is more qualified than everyone else to have an opinion on these blokes. Pakistan players are not paid well but they seem more keen on getting involved in petty feuds than do well for the country. Kemar Roach and Rabada are not exactly on the top 3 money either but still want to do well for their country and put the work in. Not sure why so many get triggered by Waqar’s comments, you lot are acting like he is criticising world champions and bowlers who are dominating the rankings across formats, you just lost to the Bangla Tiger at home, you should rightly get the shovel out on these soft cricketers.

To be fair to Waqar, you can say what you want about him, but he put his body on the line for Pakistan. Nothing is more important than your health, but even after his career changing injury, he worked extremely hard and remained competitive, he gave the green shirt all he had despite losing some of his physical tools. Franchise cricket or not, the players now simply don’t have the same drive.

Now I don’t agree with his coaching because he expects players to have the same passion he did and unfortunately this leads to disastrous results and poor management.

Still, he is more qualified than everyone else to have an opinion on these blokes. Pakistan players are not paid well but they seem more keen on getting involved in petty feuds than do well for the country. Kemar Roach and Rabada are not exactly on the top 3 money either but still want to do well for their country and put the work in. Not sure why so many get triggered by Waqar’s comments, you lot are acting like he is criticising world champions and bowlers who are dominating the rankings across formats, you just lost to the Bangla Tiger at home, you should rightly get the shovel out on these soft cricketers.
Bang on the money bro, 100% behind you!!!

That's funny coming from someone who has just signed a 3-year, PKR 1.5 cr deal for this farce of a tournament, in which he will do nothing besides live in a hotel and hang out in the Faisalabad Stadium dressing room for two weeks.
Thats not his fault, would you deny that job if offered ?

Pakistani players might not be paid well in comparison to other players but they are still paid very well compared to Pakistani standards. These players when they play for a good 3-4 years consistently for Pakistan and with the T-20 leagues, they are able to significantly upgrade their lives, establish investments in businesses, real estate. Plus they have all the resources, tools to invest in a personal trainer, dietician, have a bowling machine at home and practice on their skills at home for a good 3-4 hours a day. They should be able to replicate even 50% of the hard work that Kohli puts into the game but they prefer living the good easy life i.e. eating junk with family, friends, partying.

Look at Naseem, he has a 2 month break after the T-20 WC and he comes into the Bangladesh series carrying a belly.

Pakistani players need a tough taskmaster

I agree with your top half but these players are well paid and compensated.

Make no mistake a lot have invested and have businesses away from cricket as well as adverts and other commercial exploits.

He should still have some level of self-awareness. Talking about people going after money when he is taking home a boatload of cash for little to no work.
He cant make decent players in to ATG s like himself.

You need a certain level of ability and skill to work with before a coach can enhance you as well as having the ability to listen, comprehend and carry out instructions.

Coaching is not Waqar s forte but he is working is average players.

Back