CWI appoint Phil Simmons as Head Coach of Men’s Team for a period of 4 years [Post#23]

Aman

Test Captain
Runs
Richard Pybus - Pakistan's first ever foreign coach has been named the new West Indie's director of cricket. Pybus had three stints as coach for Pakistan in 1999, 2001 and 2003. Pybus would later return to international coaching in 2012 leading Bangladesh for 5 months before quitting over contract issues. Unlike quite a few coaches today Pybus never played international cricket.

ST. JOHN'S ( Antigua and Barbuda): Former Pakistan coach Richard Pybus was on Thursday named as director of cricket with the West Indies Cricket Board on a three-year deal.

Pybus, 49, coached Pakistan from 1999 to 2003 and also led the Titans and Cobras to a total of nine titles in South Africa.

"I am delighted and honoured to accept this key role in West Indies Cricket and to help build on the progress that has been made in recent years," said Englishman Pybus.

"I am particularly looking forward to working with the West Indies teams, the First Class sides, the High Performance Program and the educational structures to ensure a rigorous, competitive system that feeds through elite players to international level."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-handed-Windies-role/articleshow/24685296.cms

Last edited:
PYBUS REJOINS CWI AS NEW HIGH-PERFORMANCE DIRECTOR

St John’s, ANTIGUA – Cricket West Indies (CWI) has appointed Richard Pybus as the High- Performance Director.

In this new role, Pybus will work alongside the Chairman of Selectors and all the technical coaches in the region to improve the high performance programmes and standards within franchise cricket. His role will also include, but not limited to standardizing coaching and preparation for regional teams and overseeing a talent identification programme from the Under-19 level all the way to the WINDIES International level.

Pybus’ record with high performance programmes is well established. He is the most successful South African franchise coach of all time having won nine championships across all formats. The two-time South African coach of the year was part of a system that developed the likes of current South African, Captain Faf du Plessis, Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel and A.B de Villiers.

The High-Performance programme aims to support the continued development of CWI regional franchise cricket and put systems in place to close the gap between regional franchise cricket and International cricket.

Richard Pybus said: “I am delighted to be re-joining Cricket West Indies in this newly created role. I am looking forward to working with Jimmy Adams and the rest of the cricket department to improve standards within a system that I know well. My focus will be on developing our high performance programmes and helping to identify and coach the most talented cricketers in the Caribbean.”

Pybus’ appointment is for an initial term of two years.

Pybus previously served as CWI Director of Cricket from October 2013 to December 2016, overseeing WINDIES victories in two ICC World T20s, an ICC Women’s World T20 and an ICC U-19 World Cup. Along with International Head Coach roles with Pakistan and Bangladesh, Pybus coached extensively in South Africa for Border, Titans and Cape Cobras, as well as Middlesex CCC in England, at domestic cricket level. He will be based at the CWI Headquarters in Antigua.

Times of India has a very poor research department. He's not 49. He is 53 years old. Just my two cents.

St John’s, ANTIGUA – Richard Pybus has been appointed interim Head Coach of the WINDIES Men's team with immediate effect. He will lead the technical team for the upcoming visit of England, the Triangular Series in Ireland, the 2019 Cricket World Cup (CWC) and the visit of India in July and August.

“Meanwhile, the CWI Board of Directors have already approved a succession planning program for regional coaches and will simultaneously be conducting a regional search in order to appoint a long-term Head Coach for the WINDIES Men’s team from September 2019 onwards”.

Richard Pybus said “I am really looking forward to working with Jason and the Test and ODI teams, as well as Carlos and the T20I team, as we continue to build WINDIES cricket. We've got a great home series against England coming up. England are a high-quality side who will be an excellent test of the team in our home conditions. We then have an ODI Triangular Series against Ireland and Bangladesh in Dublin. Ireland will be looking to make a statement after missing out on CWC qualification and Bangladesh have beaten us home and away in our recent ODI series. The CWC is on the region's mind and we will be looking to use the England Series and Ireland Triangular to build into that.”

Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams, says “Richard comes into the role with previous international experience having worked with both Pakistan and Bangladesh. Due to his current and previous involvement in CWI, he possesses a good working knowledge of both players and coaches as the team prepares for important home series against England and India with the 2019 World Cup to be played between those series.”

Pybus was Director of Cricket (West Indies) from 2013 to 2016 and since returned to be the High-Performance Director from February 2018. Richard has served at several high-level technical areas in South Africa, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua – Cricket West Indies (CWI) is standing by its decision to appoint Englishman, Richard Pybus interim Head Coach of the WINDIES Men's team.

Following a meeting of the Board of Directors on Thursday, January 17, the organization affirmed that the appointment of Pybus was made with the support of more than two-thirds of its board to ensure the team had strong leadership ahead of the busy cricket season this year.

Pybus, who was the architect of the West Indies trifecta of 2016 World Cup titles (World T20, Women's World T20 and Under-19 World Cup) while serving as WINDIES cricket director, leads the technical team for the upcoming visit of England, the Triangular Series in Ireland, the 2019 Cricket World Cup (CWC), and the visit of India in July and August. During this interim period, Pybus’ tour of duty in the demanding months ahead will be supported by a technical team, which includes some of the game’s leading experts from within the region and around the globe.

CWI advised that the decision to appoint the coach had been further reviewed and approved by the Corporate Governance, and Audit Risk and Compliance Committees.

Recent public charges leveled at the sporting body by an objecting board director have now been referred to the governing body’s Ethics Committee for review

Media reports suggesting that Pybus will be sacked soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Media reports suggesting that Pybus will be sacked soon

He was a Dave Cameron appointee - highly unpopular in the Caribbean as he was one of the instigators behind the board-players disputes in his director of cricket role.

Good riddance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this frees him up to have stint number five with Pakistan when we are done with Arthur.

West Indies head coach Richard Pybus has been replaced months after he was appointed, as one of several reforms announced today by new Cricket West Indies president Ricky Skerritt.

The entire selection panel has also been replaced, with Robert Haynes replacing Courtney Browne as interim head of selectors. Floyd Reifer has been confirmed as interim head coach, a role he previously filled on West Indies’ tour to Bangladesh last year.

“We are confident that in Mr Haynes we have found an interim chairman who shares the philosophy of inclusiveness and shares our selection policy,” Skerritt said.

“We have no doubt Mr. Haynes will engage with players everywhere, strictly in the interest of what is best for West Indies cricket. [Reifer] has lived the same principles of West Indian excellence that we now insist much prevail in our cricket.”

Skerritt also indicated that West Indies’ selection policy would change fundamentally, with some players who had been “secretly but actively victimised” in the past once again being available for selection. “We have found it necessary to immediately adjust our selection policy to become more open, inclusive and player-centric,” he said.

He also suggested that West Indies would favour homegrown coaches going forward, with a policy that stipulates that four out of every five backroom staff members must be of West Indian origin.

“I have to tell you that we be*lieve very strong*ly in lo*cal*is*ing the expertise that we put behind our teams and we believe only in bring*ing in non-Caribbean ex*per*tise on*ly where it is not avail*able across the re*gion,” Skerritt said. “We want to be sure that the team does well at all times with the pos*si*ble resources but we al*so have to make sure that they have a Caribbean sup*port team around them.

“The changes we have triggered this week are more than a change in personnel or a shake-up in the ranks. This is a calculated strategic move designed to reignite the passion for a culture, where our cricket is being put back where it belongs - at the very centre.

“No decision will be made for political reasons or to fulfil insular means. West Indies cricket at its best has always been a representation of the hopes and aspirations of the Caribbean.”

Skerritt was elected president of Cricket West Indies in March, beating the incumbent Dave Cameron by a margin of 8-4.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1174112

If this means Pollard,Gayle,Russell,naraine, sammy ,bravo have a chance to be in world cup team then along with alzaari,Lewis,hetymer,roach,holder and others....then world cup has a new dark horse

Pybus cannot surely get another job now with a Test playing nation - there has to be a limit to these things!

Cricket West Indies shortlist final three candidates for West Indies Men’s Team Full-Time Head Coach

St. John's, Antigua - Cricket West Indies (CWI) has today shortlisted three (3) candidates for the final stage of the recruitment process for the role of full-time Head Coach for the West Indies men’s team.

The three (3) candidates shortlisted for the final interview stage are Desmond Haynes, Floyd Reifer, and Phil Simmons who progressed from the initial interview stage which concluded on October 1, 2019.

A total of six (6) candidates participated in individual interviews lasting up to 90 minutes with the CWI interview panel. Critical areas discussed were applications of cricket specific experience, technical knowledge, performance planning process, performance measurement, performance-driven culture and also CWI’s core values of passion, accountability, respect, integrity and team excellence.

CWI Vice-President, Dr. Kishore Shallow, who is Chairman of CWI’s Human Resource Committee led the interview panel, which also included CWI Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams; CWI HR Manager, Mrs. Oneka Martin-Bird; CWI Independent Director, Mrs. Debra Coryat-Patton; and UK based Coaching Educator, Gordon Lord.

CWI President Ricky Skerritt, commented: “I am pleased to see such high quality West Indian talent and experience in the shortlisted candidates for the Head Coach position. I believe that any one of the three finalists would be an excellent choice as head coach, and I wish them every success at the final stage of interviews. On behalf of the Board and all stakeholders, I want to thank all of the applicants for coming forward to offer their services for this important leadership role. Vice President Shallow and his research and interview team have been most impressive with their efforts to date, and I want to say thank you to them as well.”

The next phase of the recruitment process for the head coach of the West Indies Men's team is the final interview, scheduled to be completed by October 11.

CWI also confirmed the start of the recruitment process for selectors of the West Indies Men's team panel, the West Indies Women and Girls teams panel, and the West Indies Boys selection panel. Twenty one (21) prospective candidates for the selection panels were identified by the Selection System Review Task Force, chaired by CWI Vice-President Dr. Shallow, and eighteen (18) have since confirmed their interest. The candidates have participated in a first-round exercise which will be used to determine a shortlist for follow-up interviews.

The selection panel interview process is planned for completion by October 18.

Note to Editors: The new Selection Panels structure and mandate was approved at the quarterly CWI Board of Directors meeting in Tobago on September 7 and 8, 2019.

Cricket West Indies shortlist final three candidates for West Indies Men’s Team Full-Time Head Coach

St. John's, Antigua - Cricket West Indies (CWI) has today shortlisted three (3) candidates for the final stage of the recruitment process for the role of full-time Head Coach for the West Indies men’s team.

The three (3) candidates shortlisted for the final interview stage are Desmond Haynes, Floyd Reifer, and Phil Simmons who progressed from the initial interview stage which concluded on October 1, 2019.

A total of six (6) candidates participated in individual interviews lasting up to 90 minutes with the CWI interview panel. Critical areas discussed were applications of cricket specific experience, technical knowledge, performance planning process, performance measurement, performance-driven culture and also CWI’s core values of passion, accountability, respect, integrity and team excellence.

CWI Vice-President, Dr. Kishore Shallow, who is Chairman of CWI’s Human Resource Committee led the interview panel, which also included CWI Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams; CWI HR Manager, Mrs. Oneka Martin-Bird; CWI Independent Director, Mrs. Debra Coryat-Patton; and UK based Coaching Educator, Gordon Lord.

CWI President Ricky Skerritt, commented: “I am pleased to see such high quality West Indian talent and experience in the shortlisted candidates for the Head Coach position. I believe that any one of the three finalists would be an excellent choice as head coach, and I wish them every success at the final stage of interviews. On behalf of the Board and all stakeholders, I want to thank all of the applicants for coming forward to offer their services for this important leadership role. Vice President Shallow and his research and interview team have been most impressive with their efforts to date, and I want to say thank you to them as well.”

The next phase of the recruitment process for the head coach of the West Indies Men's team is the final interview, scheduled to be completed by October 11.

CWI also confirmed the start of the recruitment process for selectors of the West Indies Men's team panel, the West Indies Women and Girls teams panel, and the West Indies Boys selection panel. Twenty one (21) prospective candidates for the selection panels were identified by the Selection System Review Task Force, chaired by CWI Vice-President Dr. Shallow, and eighteen (18) have since confirmed their interest. The candidates have participated in a first-round exercise which will be used to determine a shortlist for follow-up interviews.

The selection panel interview process is planned for completion by October 18.

Note to Editors: The new Selection Panels structure and mandate was approved at the quarterly CWI Board of Directors meeting in Tobago on September 7 and 8, 2019.

Why the Windies even bothering with a coach, he will make no difference.

West Indies is in a big mess. Their coaches keep on changing and players are often unavailable.

Desmond Haynes was the best Test opener of the last 45 years, but he’s 63 years old. He’s far too old for the role.

Even Phil Simmons at 56 is too old.

ST. JOHN’S, Antigua - Cricket West Indies (CWI) announces the appointment of former West Indies player, Phil Simmons as the Head Coach of the West Indies Senior Men’s Team for a period of four years, as well as the appointment of three new selection panels.

Phil Simmons was confirmed as the Head Coach during a meeting of the CWI Board of Directors today, following the conclusion of a short but intensive recruitment process. The Board had made it clear prior to the start of the recruitment process in September that “persons without West Indian heritage need not apply.”

Simmons served previously for a short period as Head Coach of the West Indies Senior Men’s team, during which he coached the team to the 2016 ICC T20 World Cup title, following which he was controversially dismissed. He served since as the Head Coach of Afghanistan, who he helped qualify for the first time for the 2019 ICC ODI CWC. His tenure as head coach of Ireland, saw them improve their ICC rankings and qualify for all major ICC events. Simmons’ latest coaching success came just two days ago when he coached the Barbados Tridents to the 2019 Hero Caribbean Premier League title with an impressive victory over the Guyana Amazon Warriors in Saturday’s Final.

CWI President, Ricky Skerritt, shared his thoughts on the confirmation of Phil Simmons, “Bringing Phil Simmons back is not just righting a past wrong, but I am confident that CWI has chosen the right man for the job at the right time. I want to also thank the very talented Floyd Reifer for the hard work he put in while he was the interim coach.”

CWI’s Director of Cricket Jimmy Adams, “I am happy, after a very robust recruitment process at the appointment of Phil to the role of Head Coach. I have no doubt that Phil brings the requisite leadership skills and experience needed to drive improvement across our international squads and I look forward to supporting him in the role.”

CWI also announces the appointment of three new Men’s, Women’s and Girls’ Panel, and Boys’ Selection Panel following a recruitment process that ran parallel to the selection of the new coach. The recommendation of a new CWI selection structure and policy were the main outputs of the report of the Selection System Review Task Force, presented by Vice President Shallow at the September Board meeting in Tobago. Eighteen (18) candidates were considered and evaluated for the five positions across the three Selection Panels. The CWI recruitment panel unanimously selected the following candidates who have now been confirmed:

WI Men's Panel

Lead Selector: Roger Harper

Selector: Miles Bascombe

WI Women's & Girls’ Panel

Lead Selector: Ann Browne-John

Selector: Travis Dowlin

WI Boys’ Panel

Talent ID Manager: Robert Haynes

The Head Coach of each team will complete the makeup of each of the respective panels.

CWI Vice President Kishore Shallow commented, “We have been delighted at the interest and quality of candidates who participated in the recruitment process to fill the roles for the Selection Panels. These roles are vital to execute the new selection policy to select squads for the West Indies teams at every level. We wish the selectors every success as they commence work immediately.”

Commenting on the Selection Panels, Jimmy Adams said, “After a comprehensive revamp of our selection system including the introduction of separate panels, I am confident that our ability to identify and manage talent will be enhanced. I have all confidence that the new system, along with the selectors chosen to the various panels will continue to help drive our game in this critical area. “

The Selection Panels set to work immediately with the West Indies Men’s team preparing to play Afghanistan, in India, in November in three (3) T20 Internationals (T20Is), three (3) One Day Internationals (ODIs) and one (1) Test match. The Men’s team then stay in India to play three (3) T20Is and three (3) ODIs before returning home before Christmas.

The West Indies Women will host India Women for three (3) ODIs and five (5) T20Is starting on November 1. And the West Indies Under-19 team will host a triangular series with Sri Lanka and England Under-19s in December as they prepare for the ICC Under-19 World in January in South Africa.

The Men’s Teams squads will be announced in a press conference at 11am at Queens Park Oval, Port of Spain, Trinidad on Tuesday 16 November.

I think it was good for West Indies to go with a local coach. Simmons has enough coaching experience and he also helped Windies win a world title in the past.

All the best to Simmons.

Simmons is a good choice.

He can improve the players, well, those who still want to play for West Indies.

Cricket West Indies have announced Courtney Walsh as the interim assistant coach for West Indies Women for their upcoming series with India.

They had previously named Gus Logie as interim head coach, and have now announced Walsh, the all-time leading Test wicket-taker for the West Indies, as his assistant. Former Guyana seamer Rayon Griffith will join the pair to complete the team's interim coaching staff.

Walsh has previously served as bowling coach for the Bangladesh national team as well as serving for a time as a selector for the West Indies. While his remit appears to be more wide-reaching than his time with Bangladesh, he says he will still be primarily working with the bowlers. "My function is to focus a lot more on the bowlers and the cricket in general to get the ladies together," he said. "I’m just happy to be able to work with Gus - we haven’t had a chance to be on the same team since we were players and we just want the women to play the type of cricket we know they can play."

Griffith, in contrast to both Logie and Walsh, never represented the national side. Since retiring as a player however he has served in a number of coaching roles, most notably as assistant coach with the West Indies during the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2019, staying with the team for their home series against India after. He has also served as assistant coach for the Guyan Amazon Warriors in the Caribbean Premier League.

Logie was very positive about the appointments, believing the coaching Walsh and Griffith provide to be some of the best available. "We’ve had some of the best minds and coaches in the region working with the players," he said. "Courtney and Rayon have been working really hard with the ladies at training and we are hoping to see the results on the field."

Also serving an interim backroom role for the series will be Evril Betty Lewis who will act as team manager. She is confident of a successful stint with the team. "As a former career tourism official and Manager of the Barbados Senior Women’s Cricket Team, I am comfortable operating in the critical role as the interim manager of the West Indies Women’s Team," she said. "I intend to bring a high level of trust, effective communication and instill a greater sense of purpose, hinged on discipline and professionalism, that the players can transfer onto the field of play."

Cricket West Indies' Director of Cricket Jimmy Adams was also confident that the interim team will provide a fantastic level of support to the team until the appointment of permanent staff. "I am confident that our entire support staff, under Gus’ leadership and direction, is capable of driving our women’s cricket forward whilst we begin the search for a permanent Head Coach," he said. "Gus has been involved with the program for the past two years and both Rayon and Courtney bring with them a strong working knowledge of what it takes to be successful at the elite level."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1476892

Back