Did we miss a golden opportunity in Columbo 2002 to beat the invincible Aussies?

GLORY OF '92

ODI Debutant
Runs
What a match that was. Still remember Shoaib's spell to dismiss Australia for 127. Fell short by 41 runs after needing 137 with 7 wickets in hand. We choked basically. Really was a great chance. Of course we were crushed horribly in Sharjah in the following Test.

http://m.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/64001.html

I felt it was difficult after conceding a big 1st inns lead. However Akhtar's spell turned the game on its head.

We had made a great start to the run chase thanks to Taufiq, Nazir and Younis but IIRC started with the 2nd new ball.

That was a painful defeat from which we never recovered from in the remainder of the series.

I didnt really watch Test matches till 2003 so these matches are either a hazy memory or just cannot recollect them. And I guess its for the better anyway

But I often wonder why Pakistan very rarely put out its best XI in this period

Like for eg Wasim and Waqar only played about 60 of the 100 or so test matches they could have played together when both were active and available. Similarly it seems Inzamam missed a lot of matches randomly and same with Saeed Anwar

Back