England guilty of bowling a "negative line" says Pujara

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/eng...cheteshwar-pujara-1630868?pfrom=Cricketwidget

Cheteshwar Pujara on Sunday said that although England bowled a "negative line" during his partnership with skipper Virat Kohli, his team showed a lot of character and would be looking to take 75-100 runs lead in the first innings of the third Test here.

Pujara and Kohli added 75 runs in 25.2 overs but the post-lunch session saw England bowling outside the channel packing the off-side cordon and the duo left a lot of deliveries. India reached 271 for six in reply to England's first innings total of 283 at stumps on day two.

"I think we did not struggle but the lines that they (England) were bowling were a little negative. But I still feel the way we batted, we showed character. We were leaving the balls outside the off-stump and we built a partnership, which was crucial for the team.

"The second session was good for us. I won't say they had an advantage as I mentioned earlier that lines that they bowled were slightly negative," said Pujara, who scored a composed 51 before getting out to a long hop from Adil Rashid.

Pujara said that there was nothing wrong in their approach during that session where they played safe rather than going for aggressive shot.

"See, everyone has a gameplan. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way we batted, we stuck to our plans. Obviously, in the last session, we lost many wickets, which we didn't want to but things happen.

"But as I said, we recovered well from that. We have been leaving balls well, not particularly only in this Test match, in the past also we have left balls well outside the off-stump as batsmen have a clear gameplan."

With the ever dependable Ravichandran Ashwin at the crease with Ravindra Jadeja, having added 67 runs so far, Pujara thinks that a lead of 100 is a possibility with the gutsy Jayant Yadav to come in next.

"I think we have an advantage that both our all-rounders are playing. Probably the first session will be crucial for us. Our gameplan will be really simple. Looking to (first) get a lead of around 75-100 runs and then continue batting.

"Both (Jadeja and Ashwin) of them can bat. As we saw in the last game that Jayant Yadav can also bat. So our lower order has been contributing in all Test matches and we expect them to contribute tomorrow as well."

Ashwin was seen hobbling while running between the wickets and Pujara said that it might be a niggle he picked up while batting.

"I didn't speak to Ash after he came out. But when he was bowling, there wasn't anything wrong. Probably, he might have got some niggles, when he was batting. I am yet to speak to him," said Pujara.

The right-hander seemed a touch disappointed with the manner of his dismissal.

"I was disappointed in the way I got out. There was a ball probably I could have hit for four, but I didn't time it well," said Pujara.

Talking about Rashid, Pujara said: "He has been bowling well but Indian batsmen are known to play spinners well and we have been tackling him well."

He was all praise for Parthiv Patel's positive approach while scoring 42 in his comeback to the Test arena.

"Parthiv has been a good batsman and the kind of runs he has scored in first-class cricket, it could be seen in his confidence in this game.

Another thing is that he has the experience of playing a lot of first-class cricket and he has played Test cricket at the age of 17, so probably he has matured now, kind of form he is in, he will continue batting well in the second innings."

As long as it's within the rule, you can bowl all kind of things to not allow opposition advantage. Choking runs causes Indians to lose wickets often so negative or positive doesn't matter if opposition gets wickets due to choking runs.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/eng...cheteshwar-pujara-1630868?pfrom=Cricketwidget

Cheteshwar Pujara on Sunday said that although England bowled a "negative line" during his partnership with skipper Virat Kohli, his team showed a lot of character and would be looking to take 75-100 runs lead in the first innings of the third Test here.

Pujara and Kohli added 75 runs in 25.2 overs but the post-lunch session saw England bowling outside the channel packing the off-side cordon and the duo left a lot of deliveries. India reached 271 for six in reply to England's first innings total of 283 at stumps on day two.

"I think we did not struggle but the lines that they (England) were bowling were a little negative. But I still feel the way we batted, we showed character. We were leaving the balls outside the off-stump and we built a partnership, which was crucial for the team.

"The second session was good for us. I won't say they had an advantage as I mentioned earlier that lines that they bowled were slightly negative," said Pujara, who scored a composed 51 before getting out to a long hop from Adil Rashid.

Pujara said that there was nothing wrong in their approach during that session where they played safe rather than going for aggressive shot.

"See, everyone has a gameplan. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way we batted, we stuck to our plans. Obviously, in the last session, we lost many wickets, which we didn't want to but things happen.

"But as I said, we recovered well from that. We have been leaving balls well, not particularly only in this Test match, in the past also we have left balls well outside the off-stump as batsmen have a clear gameplan."

With the ever dependable Ravichandran Ashwin at the crease with Ravindra Jadeja, having added 67 runs so far, Pujara thinks that a lead of 100 is a possibility with the gutsy Jayant Yadav to come in next.

"I think we have an advantage that both our all-rounders are playing. Probably the first session will be crucial for us. Our gameplan will be really simple. Looking to (first) get a lead of around 75-100 runs and then continue batting.

"Both (Jadeja and Ashwin) of them can bat. As we saw in the last game that Jayant Yadav can also bat. So our lower order has been contributing in all Test matches and we expect them to contribute tomorrow as well."

Ashwin was seen hobbling while running between the wickets and Pujara said that it might be a niggle he picked up while batting.

"I didn't speak to Ash after he came out. But when he was bowling, there wasn't anything wrong. Probably, he might have got some niggles, when he was batting. I am yet to speak to him," said Pujara.

The right-hander seemed a touch disappointed with the manner of his dismissal.

"I was disappointed in the way I got out. There was a ball probably I could have hit for four, but I didn't time it well," said Pujara.

Talking about Rashid, Pujara said: "He has been bowling well but Indian batsmen are known to play spinners well and we have been tackling him well."

He was all praise for Parthiv Patel's positive approach while scoring 42 in his comeback to the Test arena.

"Parthiv has been a good batsman and the kind of runs he has scored in first-class cricket, it could be seen in his confidence in this game.

Another thing is that he has the experience of playing a lot of first-class cricket and he has played Test cricket at the age of 17, so probably he has matured now, kind of form he is in, he will continue batting well in the second innings."

Among all the teams England traditionally use this strategy. Remember Giles vs Tendulkar? Actually he even got Sachin stumped for the first time in his test career . Australia never does this. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-line-against-Sachin/articleshow/16468186.cms

England use this approach quite regularly in Asian conditions. I remember their pacers kept hanging the ball outside off stump to contain runs last year in the UAE aswell. Wouldn't say its negative though.

"The second session was good for us. I won't say they had an advantage as I mentioned earlier that lines that they bowled were slightly negative," - This is hardly complaining. He is justifying why scoring rate was slower in the second session. Media has sensationalized this with an "out of context" title.

"The second session was good for us. I won't say they had an advantage as I mentioned earlier that lines that they bowled were slightly negative," - This is hardly complaining. He is justifying why scoring rate was slower in the second session. Media has sensationalized this with an "out of context" title.

He said slightly negative. Media did not make it up. Whether its slightly or completely - he is complaining.

Why didnt the umpires intervene then?

Nothing wrong with what England did, the only negatives here are Pujara's comments.....

How are the negative comments?

He just said that there scoring rate was slow because of the way england bowled

Nothing wrong with what England did, the only negatives here are Pujara's comments.....

What is wrong with Pujara's comment?

He said they bowled negative lines...we kept leaving the balls...there is nothing wrong with it.

Negative line is not a bad word.

He said slightly negative. Media did not make it up. Whether its slightly or completely - he is complaining.

This is where the context comes into play.When he is asked about why they made only 75 runs in 25 overs the point he made was relevant. It is hard to score quickly if you keep bowling wider and wider.

How are the negative comments?

He just said that there scoring rate was slow because of the way england bowled

When you say the opposition bowled negative line, when in fact they have just bowled slightly out of off, it's absurd..... they were not bowling that wide and hence suggesting that in press conference is wrong....

He could simply have said that off side was packed and bowling was consistently there and since we did not want to take undue risk, our run rate was down ..... why say the word " negative ", it looks like whining to me....

When you say the opposition bowled negative line, when in fact they have just bowled slightly out of off, it's absurd..... they were not bowling that wide and hence suggesting that in press conference is wrong....

He could simply have said that off side was packed and bowling was consistently there and since we did not want to take undue risk, our run rate was down ..... why say the word " negative ", it looks like whining to me....

So he should just change hiw whole sentence because you found offence in it?

Again in the context to the question nothing wrong was said.

So he should just change hiw whole sentence because you found offence in it?

Again in the context to the question nothing wrong was said.

If you can't paraphrase your thoughts correctly then you should not come to press conferences....

Nothing wrong in what he said.

Problem arises when people take the negative line comment as a negative connotation. It's just a term used to describe one style of bowling - packing one side with fielders and bowling only on that side. Some might not like it, but it doesn't make it any less legal.

So a positive line in order for them to score more regularly would have been preferred. Hmmm.

You want runs quickly then you must swing your bat at your own risk.. Well done England for keeping within the rules and bowling outside off consistently . That;s why it,s called a Test Match. :kohli

Last edited:
So a positive line in order for them to score more regularly would have been preferred. Hmmm.

You want runs quickly then you must swing your bat at your own risk.. Well done England for keeping within the rules and bowling outside off consistently . That;s why it,s called a Test Match. :kohli

If you finish a session on day 2 without losing a wicket that session belongs to you. Reporters probably claimed session belonged to England based on run rate. This is freaking test match. You don't look at run rate. So he probably tried to justify it. It is hardly a complaint.

Totally taken out of context.

It was an explanation for slow run rate.

Complaining is.... If he said first hand.

It's like.... The boss asking me, why I am late and I replied with, I got stuck on traffic.

I am not complaining about the traffic. I am giving the reason why I was late....

Back