England v N Zealand | 1st Test | Lords | 15-19th May 08

Oxy

Hall of Famer
Runs
The International Summer of Cricket in England gets underway today.

And what a season it promises to be!

Play due to start at 11am UK time - only 15 mins to go.

I cant wait!!!

Oh I forgot - Rain has delayed the scheduled start.

It's been dry here for the last week. Just goes to show that if you want rain, stick some stumps in the ground.

Out of curiosity Big Harvey, is that top 6 likely to be similar for the Ashes?

Cook
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood

Edit - know it is a while away but I guess I am curious about England's batting plans.

Last edited:
Random Aussie said:
Out of curiosity Big Harvey, is that top 6 likely to be similar for the Ashes?

Cook
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood

I think all those have a good chance of still being there for the Ashes. A long way to go yet, though.

England have won the toss and put New Zealand in. Expect there to be a lot of assistance to the fast bowlers early. N..Z to be 12-3 after 6 overs.

Big Harvey said:
I think all those have a good chance of still being there for the Ashes. A long way to go yet, though.
Not if you're Michael Vaughan who prior to the start of this series was already talking about the ashes. Will he ever learn that there's actually cricket to be played in between the ashes?

A top six of Jaques-Rogers-Ponting-Clark-Hussey-Symonds won't be scaring the Poms. Johnson, Lee, X and Y are not looking too threatening as well.

I know its a drizzly england side v a drizzly new zealand side on a dull day, but the rain and the overcast conditions would keep me stuck to the "action" for about 1-2 hours.

England's team remains unchanged:
AJ Strauss, AN Cook, MP Vaughan, KP Pietersen, IR Bell, PD Collingwood, TR Ambrose, SCJ Broad, RJ Sidebottom, MS Panesar, JM Anderson

New Zealand have a new opening partnership in Aaron Redmond and Jamie How:
AJ Redmond, JM How, JAH Marshall, DR Flynn, LRPL Taylor, JDP Oram, BB McCullum, DL Vettori, CS Martin, TG Southee, KD Mills

f.b.m said:
I know its a drizzly england side v a drizzly new zealand side on a dull day, but the rain and the overcast conditions would keep me stuck to the "action" for about 1-2 hours.

Oh cheer up.
Southee versus Broad will be great to watch. Both fancy themselves as the 'next gen' boys I guess.

Perth93 said:
A top six of Jaques-Rogers-Ponting-Clark-Hussey-Symonds won't be scaring the Poms. Johnson, Lee, X and Y are not looking too threatening as well.

Yeah I know. That's why it would be nice to see those familiar faces on the other team :D

Symonds and Rogers won't be there though.

Speaking of the ashes, what are the chances of Warnie making a one-off comeback next summer?

Yes, I'll be watching Southee and co but Sidebottom, Anderson and Broad are a bit more boring. Although we must watch out for Broad, yes.

Perth93 said:
Speaking of the ashes, what are the chances of Warnie making a one-off comeback next summer?

There are rumours....but probably only 10% chance. What does he have left to prove?

f.b.m said:
Yes, I'll be watching Southee and co but Sidebottom, Anderson and Broad are a bit more boring. Although we must watch out for Broad, yes.

Anderson is a wuss. Panesar is pretty overrated methinks. Hairybottom is still the only bowler you WANT to see do well.

Broad is the next Pringle.

Yaar any LINK where I could watch this match online? There are plenty of them for IPL, but I didn't find any for this Test Series.

Thanks.

Pringle was military medium throughout his career, whereas Broad can be pretty fast and bouncy given a good hard track. But I still think the media overhype him and he will eventually turn out to be an average and limited cricketer.
I would give Mahmood another shot at test cricket - he has all the attributes to be a top class bowler i.e tall, bounce, 90MPH & variations. He hasn't got the control at the moment, but he would give the attack another dimension with Flintoff's constant injuries and with Harmison and Jones fading into oblivion.

Perth93 said:
Anderson is a wuss. Panesar is pretty overrated methinks. Hairybottom is still the only bowler you WANT to see do well.

Broad is the next Pringle.

Last edited:
A comment from Guardian, Stephen Moss.

"The price of tickets is an outrage - as Mike Selvey said recently, for a family of four it would cost £250 before you'd even thought about food, transport, etc. Lord's will no doubt be full of merchant bankers, MCC members and people on corporate beanos. The first Test I saw at Lord's was against the Aussies in 1975. I went on the off-chance of getting a ticket, paid about £1.50 for a field ticket and sat on the field - those were the days - in front of the tavern. In a thrilling morning session Snow reduced the Aussies to 81 for 7 before a remarkable (and, it has to be said, rather anti-climactic rearguard). Sixty quid to watch New Zealand on a damp day at Lord's in a re-run of a series we have just played. I loathe the IPL, but with this on offer as the alternative I fear the battle for "proper" cricket and for cultivating a new audience for the "real" game may already be lost."

3rd one goneee

New Zealand: 41/3 (12.3 Ovs)

anderson took 2
and broad took 1

but we all knw nzs batting starts at number 4 :p

Whats with England's kit? 'Brilliant White' - the 'creams' are gone - and the sweaters also.

All at Lords?? The members will be having heart attacks!

Worlds gone Adidas Clima-Control' mad!!!

Oxy said:
Whats with England's kit? 'Brilliant White' - the 'creams' are gone - and the sweaters also.

All at Lords?? The members will be having heart attacks!

Worlds gone Adidas Clima-Control' mad!!!

Just noticed that the whole Eng team are wearing the Adidas trousers - thats a new one.

Normally the players wear their own sponsors trousers - eg Vaughan (GM); Collingwood (SLazenger).

And they cant wear those unless they also make them in 'Brilliant White'

Clever stuff from Adidas - although I suspect the other sponsors will be getting their far-East / sub-continental sweat-shops in mass production overdrive before the next test!!

Perth93 said:
Hows the pitch playing? Lethargic Lord's as usual?
Cant answer - not really watching. Its overcast though....tad humid.

Is Zee Sports showing this? I checked one and it was showing news. It could have been non-USA version.

Boycott was laying it on NZ batsmen a bit saying you cannot go to a slogging tournament right before a test match. He was not against T20 or IPL. Some of the NZ players joined the team late too missing 1-2 practice match. He was not happy with Sidebottom and saying he is bowling all over the place and hasn't seen much swing from him. Plus he should be bowling from the other end. With Broad's bowling he was happy

Where's Jesse "I am New Zealand and I'm as Big As New Zealand" Ryder? Has he recovered from his drunken escapades yet?

LOL Ross Taylor thought he was still playing T20. Looks like a T20 score.

OZGOD said:
LOL Ross Taylor thought he was still playing T20. Looks like a T20 score.

Thats what 20/20 cricket does to players techniques and temperament, this was to be expected and will become more and more frequent as years go by. Batsmen, shall in particular suffer the most from the bad habits they acquire from the slog-fest, and will find it hard to constantly adapt to differing formats.

OZGOD said:
Where's Jesse "I am New Zealand and I'm as Big As New Zealand" Ryder? Has he recovered from his drunken escapades yet?
Naa mate, he's on a bender as I speak.

Mccullum taking the English bowlers on, he moves onto 58 off 69.

N.Z 149-5

Vital partnership this for N.Z. They need these two to make good contributions for them to get a competitive total.

Is it just me or the brillian white kit looks a bit metrosexual ?

Oh noez!!!!! McCullum is playing like 2020. Can't he play proper cricket shots like Redmond and Flynn. DAMN YOU 2020 *shakes fist*

End of a cracking innings by Mccullum. Really deserved a 100 but finished with a run-a-ball 97.

N.Z 203-6

I really liked the way that McCullum took it to the bowlers in tricky conditions. Very nice knock.

Will be interesting to see how 18 year old, Tim Southee performs with the bat tommorow given his explosive test debut innings of 77 off 40 balls, which also contained 9 sixes in the last test. If NZ can somehow manage to score 300+ it would surely make for an interesting and intriguing test match, weather permitting.

I reckon the Hobbits will get rolled by lunch tomorrow.

Perth93 said:
oram, vettori, mills, southee - thats a tough lower order.

That's their top order lol, they just send in 3 or 4 hacks first to soften up the bowlers. :D

Annoying side the hobbits, you never have them beat until all 10 wickets are taken. They should send their batsmen to whatever training their bowlers get in batting.

Yeah, my friends and I used to discuss that strategy back in the 90s, when India batted like biscuits: send Kumble, Mongia, Srinath to bat top 3...

Vettori and Oram need to bat for the majority of this session to haul N.Z back into this game.

216-6

300 will be a reasonable target.. knowing England, it will either be a collapse on the cards or carry on batting for 3 days to make it a draw!

legslip said:
Will be interesting to see how 18 year old, Tim Southee performs with the bat tommorow given his explosive test debut innings of 77 off 40 balls, which also contained 9 sixes in the last test.

thats was a debut and a half! absolutely beastly it was

Pretty slow going for the Kiwis so far today.

Vettori in the midst of making another important contribution with the bat. I think this guy may have to be classed as a genuine all-rounder pretty soon.

244-7

Sheikh said:
Vettori in the midst of making another important contribution with the bat. I think this guy may have to be classed as a genuine all-rounder pretty soon.

I already do class him as an all-rounder.

Slow session - I guess New Zealand were really hurt by McCullum getting dismissed late yesterday. 300 is probably the maximum they can score now - not sure it'll be enough against what looks a strong English batting line-up on paper. There is something in the pitch but I'm not sure NZ have the bowlers to exploit it with Bond no longer with NZ

cars112 said:
There is something in the pitch but I'm not sure NZ have the bowlers to exploit it with Bond no longer with NZ

Southee will be looking forward to bowling in these conditions. A lot of inexperienced bowlers find the Lord's slope difficult to adjust to though...

Big Harvey said:
Southee will be looking forward to bowling in these conditions. A lot of inexperienced bowlers find the Lord's slope difficult to adjust to though...

Not seen much of Southee. I see from Cricinfo that he took five wickets on debut, though, also against England. Should be interesting. Thing is I just don't see Martin, Oram, Mills and this Southee running through the English batting. Maybe 1-2 early wickets but Pietersen, Bell etc. can all score big

Actually Southee also made 77 not on debut - with nine sixes! Quickfire 77 and five wickets on Test debut - wow! And he's just 19.

Southee bowled by a Sidebottom yorker. first ball after the resumption of play

Last edited:
Ballybaz Martin doing well. He has faced 12 balls but then the sun went into hiding. Bad light stops play
NZ - 275-9 after 85.5 overs

Not sure why Vettori left that ball. Anyways, I'm not sure this will be enough against the English batting, but we'll have to see. Certainly early wickets are absolutely vital for NZ as there is no cushion of runs if England get to 100-0 or similar.

Back