England v Pakistan | 2nd T20I | Leeds | 18th July, 2021 | England innings

OMB

First Class Captain
Runs
Pakistan eye series win against England in second T20I

England vs Pakistan, second T20I
Headingly, Leeds
18 July, 02:30 PM local

After the run feast at Trent Bridge, the action moves to Headingly as Pakistan aim for a series victory against England.[/I]

After being whitewashed in the ODI series, Pakistan came roaring back in the first match of the T20I series with a thrilling 31-run win. The visitors looked the better side in all three departments, with Babar Azam leading from the front with the bat. With not long left for the ICC T20 World Cup, Pakistan will want to get into the groove for the big tournament and what better way to do that than bagging a series win against the top-ranked T20I team at their home.

Eoin Morgan has already said that England would be using this series to assess fringe players ahead of the World Cup and it seems he has found a gem in Liam Livingstone. With an abundance of T20 resources at their disposal, expect the home side to make a couple of changes in the bid to keep the series alive going into the decider.

Remember the last time

Records tumbled when the two sides faced off in the first T20I at Trent Bridge.

Put in to bat first, Pakistan recorded their highest score in T20Is, thanks to the foundation laid by Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan's 150-run opening stand. Sohaib Maqsood, Fakhar Zaman and Mohammad Hafeez played handy cameos to propel the visitors to 232/6 in 20 overs. It was a nightmare in Nottingham for the English bowlers, with almost every single bowler bar David Willey going for more than 10 runs an over.

England's chase got off to a less-than-ideal start as they lost Dawid Malan, Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali in the Powerplay. Jason Roy took the attack to Pakistan with a 13-ball 32 but fell to Shadab Khan in the seventh over. Liam Livingstone hit the ground running and got to his fifty in just 17 balls, the fastest by an English batter. He then raced to his hundred in just 42 balls, breaking the English record for the fastest hundred.

Unfortunately, he found no support from the rest of the pack as Morgan (16) and Gregory (10) never really looked at ease. Once Livingstone fell the very next ball after getting his hundred, Pakistan ripped through the tail to bundle out the hosts for 201, thus registering a 31-run win. Shaheen Afridi was awarded the Player of the Match for his fiery spell of 3/30.

What they said

Eoin Morgan (England captain): "Moeen and Liam will be in the middle-order to try and score runs. Liam has taken full advantage of it today, opportunity will continue over the next two games. We don't have a lot of time between now and the T20 World Cup, so it's all about establishing the guys before the World Cup selection."

Babar Azam (Pakistan captain): "You need to change your mindset a bit. In the T20s, you need to take quick decisions, you have to remain positive and enjoy your game. We gave our 100% in all departments. We'll look to build on the momentum."

Squads:
England Squad: Dawid Malan, Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow(w), Moeen Ali, Liam Livingstone, Eoin Morgan(c), Lewis Gregory, David Willey, Tom Curran, Saqib Mahmood, Matthew Parkinson, Adil Rashid, Jos Buttler, Chris Jordan, Jake Ball, Tom Banton

Pakistan Squad: Mohammad Rizwan(w), Babar Azam(c), Sohaib Maqsood, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, Azam Khan, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Hasnain, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Mohammad Nawaz, Usman Qadir, Sharjeel Khan, Faheem Ashraf, Hasan Ali, Arshad Iqbal, Mohammad Wasim Jr

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azam Khan will probably get another chance today

Its good. He usually goes for plenty. But i would have preferred him over Imad.

Apart from Imad's second over, I think he did pretty well.

He needs to come up with a plan against Roy, he cannot pitch it full and straight.

I think he needs to bowl wide of off-stump and at a height just clipping off-stump. Roy is a powerful player, don't think he'd have the precision to cut it through both the infield and a man on the off-side.

Nawaz should play over Imad as England may struggle a bit with his slow bowling, even if his batting is poor. Misbah will be stubborn and not make any changes now that they managed to win that match.

Our plan should be more or less the same: bat first, look to keep wickets in the powerplay, and accelerate in the middle overs.

The issue is that Adil Rashid is a far better spinner than Parkinson, so I'd send Hafeez in earlier given that he likes tonking Rashid around the park.

For bowling, I think that Imad should bowl the first over, and then depending on if Roy is still batting, I think he can get another.

If Roy departs early, we can realistically bowl Imad 3 overs in the powerplay and it will help us greatly.

Hopefully Jordan butler and Rashid play today and Ali gets to bowl.
I hate this crap about how England didn't have X,y,z bowlers. Especially when Rashid and moeen probably have their worst records against us. Even archer went for 80 odd in our world cup game. Bring them all on

Would like to see one of them getting chance either Qadir or nawaz

Pakistan hardly win two in row that too against the best teams. So brace yourself for disappointment but let us hope they surprise us.

Morgan possibly needed some form under his belt. Considering World T20 coming up not sure why would he sit out after a disappointment in the last game.

So happy with Pakistan bowing first!

This is the risks and the preparation we need to take to prepare for the World Cup!!

Typical Misbah, wait for a defeat then change the xi. Surely they’ll could’ve found a way to get Qadir and Sharjeel in.

Again England playing halwa bowling on paper, why Pak is bowling first? I thought last match was perfect template.

Why choose to bowl when you know pretty well that you suck at chasing even the modest of totals? Pak could have just batted first put some good runs and defended it.

England with two leggies with Rashid back.

All Teams tends to find special love or rank average All rounders Tom undroppable Curran is one such shinning example. Just Can't believe Poms have dropped impressive Wiley but not Tom

Guys, bowling first is the right choice. We have to be ready for all scenarios heading into the World Cup, this series takes the back seat in relation to the world cup

I would have batted first

Absolutely, specially we being the mediocre side that we are, should have withheld all experimentation after securing the series, Now see England smash 200, and we will put ourselves in difficult position due to scoreboard pressure for no reason vs such a rubbish bowling. Against this bowling we could have even bettered our last match score.

England bowling may have been boosted by Adil Rashid instead of Gregory, presence but Hafeez and Rizwan can take advantage of two spinners in the opposition team.
On the other hand with Butler in the team England have 4 gun batsmen that can destroy Pak attack.

We got our highest score ever last game and England still managed 200. Bowling first is the right decision, especially with Buttler back in.

Our crap bowling against their batting lineup + Buttler back in. No way we would’ve defended twice in a row.

He is pretty average, its surprising that they stuck with him.

Eng try their best to develop players by giving themselves enough opportunities to prove themselves.

Eng is short on spin department other than Rashid so they need another spinner as backup for UAE.

We got our highest score ever last game and England still managed 200. Bowling first is the right decision, especially with Buttler back in.

Agreed. Most teams even in leagues try to ball first on T20 format. Defending totals in T20s has become and issue all around.

Horrible decision to bowl first. We are the worst chasing side. I just do not understand why we keep on making the same mistakes.

Good wicket, not the biggest of boundaries. So maybe Pak need prepare themselves to chase 200+ and hope its not 250+. :smith

Why choose to bowl when you know pretty well that you suck at chasing even the modest of totals? Pak could have just batted first put some good runs and defended it.

Likely trying out different scenarios for the T20 WC.

This experience can be valuable in a knockout game when you are asked to chase.

Imad needs get that dart/inswing coming from outside of than middle

Good decision to bowl first.....Pak need to test themselves in all scenarios before WC

Buttler has possibly been the most dangerous/impactful batsman against Pak over the years.

It should be a full Pakistani crowd given that Bradford is next door which is like mini Samnabad

One for the lookalike threads..but Imad Wasim current look reminds me of the Indian actor Aftab Shivdasani.

Tbh Phil Salt is much better than Roy. At least his tullas are grounded and not ariel

Did well in ODI series but even some of his intended ground strokes were possibly uppish and overall gameplay pretty risky. Without a doubt he has potential like most Eng white ball batsmen but, needs to fine tune his risk and reward calculations.

Another 50 and good chance for Babar to overtake Malan as No. 1 ODI Batsman, after two failures by Malan.

Imad bowling well today and much more intelligently. He knows his limitations and when he balls accordingly he can be decent.

Tbh Phil Salt is much better than Roy. At least his tullas are grounded and not ariel

Roy is one of the great Limited Overs openers. A team like England can afford his low scores because they know that he can decimate any bowling attack on his day. Insanely good player

Pak continuing with usual atleast one ball gift in every over

Gee Whiz - Azam...I guess he can give good compettion to the cornwall Windies guy....not long back i think bermuda had a guy called Dvayne Leverock or so...

A bouncer from Shaheen??? Maybe he read my posts?

In modern day whiteball cricket if you are not using your bouncers especially in the middle overs than you are definitely doing something wrong.

Back