[EXCLUSIVE] "Azam Khan cannot complete one lap of Gaddafi Stadium": Atiq-uz-Zaman

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Join us for an exclusive interview with former Pakistan wicket-keeper and ECB level 4 coach, Atiq-uz-Zaman, as he dissects the current state of the Pakistan cricket team ahead of the 2024 ICC T20 World Cup.

With recent management changes, new coaching appointments, and an unsettled playing XI, the team faces significant challenges going into the tournament. One hot topic has been the teams' persistence with Azam Khan as keeper despite his fitness and fumbles behind the stumps, so who better to talk about these issues than Atiq-uz-Zaman, who holds nothing back in this candid discussion with Saj:

0:13 - Introduction
00:51 - Azam Khan and the dilemma of having 3 wicket-keepers in the World Cup squad
09:34 - Critique of Pakistan's World Cup squad
09:52 - Insights on Pakistan’s preparation for the T20 World Cup
11:13 - Views on Mohammad Haris
12:17 - On Usama Mir and the PCB's cancellation of his NOC to play in the Vitality Blast
13:09 - Concerns about too many coaches and selectors
15:34 - Conclusion

Would you replace Azam Khan in the playing XI? If so, with whom?

I totally agree with Atiq here that a keeper doesn't receive any support in Pakistan unless they have any connections because the criteria here for identifying talent is based on who has the most biggest parchi. They realy don't consider whether a player has the ability to be part of the team or not, is he fit enough to play this game or not, just show the reference and get selected.

I totally agree with Atiq here that a keeper doesn't receive any support in Pakistan unless they have any connections because the criteria here for identifying talent is based on who has the most biggest parchi. They realy don't consider whether a player has the ability to be part of the team or not, is he fit enough to play this game or not, just show the reference and get selected.
The only thing that people saw in Azam was his pinch hitting and LOL according to Azam Khan the reason behind it was his over weight stature.

Well he had enough fitness to impress the army trainers, captain, and so called think tank after the army training camp.

Makes you wonder what the point in that camp was?
i thought he couldnt even finish his 2 km run

Well he had enough fitness to impress the army trainers, captain, and so called think tank after the army training camp.

Makes you wonder what the point in that camp was?
masti karney gaye the- photo op like Emperor Modi does - Naseem moving gingerly on a incline with a stone in both hands over his head , would rather he be in nets taking 300 catches a day ! He drops at least 1 out of every 3 which come his way !!! Don't get me started about Azam the hulk - does not deserve to be in a FC side !

Not happy with the level of weight bullying ex cricketers, social media warriors are subjecting Azam too. He is the easiest to pick on problem in our team but not the only one. Some women after pregnancy never ever get back to their pre-pregnancy weight again. People become very depressed and suicidal over their body, like they know they are not in great shape but its not always 100% in their control.

The super fit Saim Ayub and others haven't done much either.

Not happy with the level of weight bullying ex cricketers, social media warriors are subjecting Azam too. He is the easiest to pick on problem in our team but not the only one. Some women after pregnancy never ever get back to their pre-pregnancy weight again. People become very depressed and suicidal over their body, like they know they are not in great shape but its not always 100% in their control.

I hear you. But I respectfully disagree.

- playing post pregnancy is a totally different topic. Those athletes were pregnant for 9 months, going through HUGE hormonal changes, then have to look after a kid and get back into shape. A lot of respect to those women who go through all of that and still are able and to preform after. Even if they are not in great shape after, it’s totally understandable

- Saim Ayub while failing with the bat, is great in the field and apart from a drop catch in Australia has proved to have a safe pair of hands.

- Azam on the other hand, is just adamant that he doesn’t want to get fit. He says if he loses weight he won’t be able to hit the ball hard. He is just lazy, hence the criticism of his weight is justified imo. As an international athlete this type of attitude is unacceptable

Blame lies with PCB who have made him cannon fodder rather than Azam himself.

Even the videos of the army training camp with the players cheering him after he climbing the mountain were designed to get people to troll him and make fun of him

For Azam it is in his control though. He also doesn't seem to have any chronic illness for which his weight is out of control.

If he's not willing to take control of it himself that shows a lack of responsibility which is being exposed at the highest level.

The genuine criticism - like the gentleman in the interview - is criticising his weight because it is a physical representation of his lack of drive to succeed at the highest level, willingness to take responsibility for his actions, and poor discipline. All factors the guy in the video mentioned. He didn't get fat by just sitting around and inhaling air. He's fat because he eats everything under the Golden Arches and doesn't train as hard as he should be. As for the social media trolls, every professional athlete seems to be subjected to them for one reason or another. If it's putting Azam in a mentally unhealthy position, then he probably doesn't have what it takes to succeed at that level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody knows now that this guy is not fit enough to be in the team. FIrst, it was that 2km run, which he failed to complete and now this revelation (nothing unexpected here though) that he cannot run one lap? What else do we need to say that Azam khan should not be in the team based on just his fitness only, let alone his batting and wicket keeping performance. This guy is a misfit in the sqaud.

While I would generally agree that fat-shaming is not cool, you are talking about elite professional sportsmen here representing your country at a world event. In this ozempic and keto era, there is no excuse for motivated sportsmen to not lose weight.

Reactions: DRS
It's a classic throw under the bus situation.

The selectors are so shameless that they will not come and defend his selection. Instead, they pick him on sifarish and if he doesn't perform, the guy is made to fend for himself, both physically and mentally.

The mistake has been made by Wahab and he's run away now.

The selectors are so shameless that they will not come and defend his selection. Instead, they pick him on sifarish and if he doesn't perform, the guy is made to fend for himself, both physically and mentally.

Agreed Wahab was an overrated bowler and now a massively overrated administrator

Babar always like to keep one parchi player in team to shift blame for team's failure. Earlier it was Imad now it's Azam.

Being agile and fit should not be too much to ask from a professional sportsman.

If he can't do it, he should be nowhere near international cricket.

lol weight bullying?

I cant bowl express pace. Does that mean i should represent the Pakistani team based on my fathers links and than underperform and if i get critisized i whine about bullying?

Azam Khan is to be blamed too.

If it wasnt for his fathers connections, he would had never played.

You always talk of high standards, where are said standards now? You feel pity on Azam Khan? Maybe he should feel pity on himself by throwing in the towel as he is an abject embrassment to the team and the sport in general and has no intention of changing his diet or improving his fitness.

Azam Khan is the epitome of a Parchi player.

Azam Khan is not willing to lose his weight. Why?

When everybody is talking about his fitness, then why is he not trying to improve?

He is at fault. Yes, bullying is not okay but why give a chance to people again and again. Show some passion for your team and try to improve in fitness matters. Things will solve on its own.

Babar azam and co should also not use such words like Gainda etc, it is gonna make things worse.

The only thing that people saw in Azam was his pinch hitting and LOL according to Azam Khan the reason behind it was his over weight stature.
If that's the case then I might be an even bigger pinch hitter than Azam Khan. lol

but i dont have any parchi!

Saim Ayub is built like a 16 year old, he's hardly in the shape a professional athlete should be in either.

I don't see this as bullying or body shaming.

A cricketer's body is an extension of his performance on the field. His body is an asset. If you're obese and it's impacting your batting/keeping then it will lead to brutal feedback.

It doesn't help that he also has natural weaknesses in his technique that would be there with or without the weight.

Until Azam has some genetic problems, there is no excuse for not losing his weight. I don't think Azam has any health related problems or any genetic issue looking at the fitness of his father.

Azam is just careless and gives no damn about what other people say about his weight.

Join us for an exclusive interview with former Pakistan wicket-keeper and ECB level 4 coach, Atiq-uz-Zaman, as he dissects the current state of the Pakistan cricket team ahead of the 2024 ICC T20 World Cup.

With recent management changes, new coaching appointments, and an unsettled playing XI, the team faces significant challenges going into the tournament. One hot topic has been the teams' persistence with Azam Khan as keeper despite his fitness and fumbles behind the stumps, so who better to talk about these issues than Atiq-uz-Zaman, who holds nothing back in this candid discussion with Saj:

0:13 - Introduction
00:51 - Azam Khan and the dilemma of having 3 wicket-keepers in the World Cup squad
09:34 - Critique of Pakistan's World Cup squad
09:52 - Insights on Pakistan’s preparation for the T20 World Cup
11:13 - Views on Mohammad Haris
12:17 - On Usama Mir and the PCB's cancellation of his NOC to play in the Vitality Blast
13:09 - Concerns about too many coaches and selectors
15:34 - Conclusion

Would you replace Azam Khan in the playing XI? If so, with whom?

If this really is true, then he is likely to get a lot of sledging in international cricket.

have taken a break in recent years from PP, more of an observer rather than contributor.

I feel compelled to pontificate again

For more than 2 decades I have sat through the likes of Junaid Zia, Sohail Tanvir, Younis Khan (in odis), Asad Shafiq (in odis), imran farhaat, riaz, salman butt, and Shan masood. Each time i thought we couldnt get lower each time we did and now we have reached new levels of depravity with Azam Khan in a world cup side.

Its just insane

A player who has only grown horizontally in recent years and thinks having a career t20 average of 24 is such a legendary performance that it makes up for his girth.

Yet we will have people calling this 25 year old man of privilege a “kid” and say we are being harsh. This in a country where 6 years olds are still forced work in factories or shift through the garbage for plastic.

We are a joke and deserve everything we get

Weight shaming and fat bullying is not acceptable, however, I don’t see much of that here. It’s mainly been legitimate criticism of an elite sportsman’s obese stature and lack of physical fitness. That is permissible, one due to his job, and two because he is keeping more hard working and professional peers out of the Pakistan team.

Why are you guys still discussing that blunder o selection ? He would not make my State's Ranji team ....

Lol if Azam can't keep, you can't keep him in the team, he will be a massive liability in the field and if he's not scoring runs, he's useless.

Indians and Kohli will eat him alive. Cricket is a brutal unforgiving sport, take him out of the firing line.

scores more than consecutive 0s , give him BAbar accumulator role he will stick around longer too and can field and a handy bowle

Azam Khan is under tremendous pressure these days. I guess he has some mental block that's why he only performs in leagues

Azam Khan is not willing to lose his weight. Why?

When everybody is talking about his fitness, then why is he not trying to improve?

He is at fault. Yes, bullying is not okay but why give a chance to people again and again. Show some passion for your team and try to improve in fitness matters. Things will solve on its own.

Babar azam and co should also not use such words like Gainda etc, it is gonna make things worse.
It is not about weight, it is about nepotism that is Plaguing the team. Our Test Captain Shan Masood Averages 28 after 10 years & 33 test matches. I can't see how someone who averages below 30 can play as a batsman (in any decent cricket team), let alone also captain the side. That is just the nepotism in the international side, at first class level it is worse, nepotism is rampant. The real reason why Pakistan is not producing any quality talent these days is Nepotism. It has now fallen to fans to call these characters out.

I can't think of too many countries that Azam Khan would even be playing domestic cricket, never mind international cricket.

I can't see him being picked against India.

Azam Khan selection in World cup squad demonstrates what is wrong with Pakistan/India in general. Nepotism, corruption, favoritism, injustice and mediocrity.

Azam Khan selection in World cup squad demonstrates what is wrong with Pakistan/India in general. Nepotism, corruption, favoritism, injustice and mediocrity.
Is that really true. He had a good PSL and just about every coach rates him and he gets picked in leagues for big bucks. He is just a mental midget who can not make it on the big stage like many of our players.

Is that really true. He had a good PSL and just about every coach rates him and he gets picked in leagues for big bucks. He is just a mental midget who can not make it on the big stage like many of our players.
I don't rate pajama T20 leagues. I don't follow PSL but in IPL, player gets to play 10-14 games per season. You try to slog and if you succeed in 4-5 matches, you become a star. International cricket is a different gravy. Dubey & SKY are beasts in IPL but are proven duds at international level.

I don't rate pajama T20 leagues. I don't follow PSL but in IPL, player gets to play 10-14 games per season. You try to slog and if you succeed in 4-5 matches, you become a star. International cricket is a different gravy. Dubey & SKY are beasts in IPL but are proven duds at international level.
How does one select a player then. If you can't trust the people that do well in your domestic league.

I don’t think India selects players basis one IPL season - if that was the case Abhishek Sharma would have had a better chance of selection over Dube. Sky and Dube had good IPL seasons over a couple of years, but in Dube’s case it was a bad call as he just let his performance slide after his selection was announced! Still have faith in Sky though.

There is a video floating around about him late night munching at a halal cart in NY.

This kid has no shame lol

Actually SKY is not a good player in IPL as much as he is at the internationals. He has way better record in internationals than IPL. Even strike rate is 30 points more in internationals. Dube is playing a specific role for his CSK team which is to hit spinners no matter what because CSK has built a long batting line up unit. But once he moves to different team his role changes, batting depth will be different. So he has to play a different role which he is not capable of. SKY has 4 centuries in 4 different countries. How can you say he is total dud. He is still the no.1 ranked ICC player. Dube looked poor towards end of the IPL itself. Based on this analysis Monank Patel, George Monsey, Michael JOnes aer some kind of batting wizards since they scored well in world T20

Cric_lover4487
Someone like Azam Khan will not make it to any domestic team in India, no matter how well connected he may be.

I thought the Hot Dog thing was a joke, but the fact its real just shows how much in denial Azam is.

There is a video floating around about him late night munching at a halal cart in NY.

I've seen that video he has no shame at all, and the way he is eating his food it's like he thinks it's going to run away so better gobble it up quick. A very bad look, he should never ever represent the national team again.

Probably an eating disorder ofrsome health issue. It's probably wrong to expect him to feel any shame.

Onus is on PCB not to select him if fitness actually matters.

Probably an eating disorder ofrsome health issue. It's probably wrong to expect him to feel any shame.

Onus is on PCB not to select him if fitness actually matters.
You are right. I've actually said the same thing in the past regarding a disorder.

I shouldn't have mentioned the shame thing.

He’s another version of Jesse Ryder, except Ryder showed far more talent, ability and execution at the international level.

Where they are exactly similar is this: many people wasted time and efforts hoping Jesse would improve, change. Never happened. I believe it’s the same with Azam Khan.

I think they should just let Azam live his life away from international cricket, and save Pakistani fans and the establishment lots of worry, ultimately failed hopes and heartburn. Ryder didn’t change. Khan’s not changing either.

I've seen that video he has no shame at all, and the way he is eating his food it's like he thinks it's going to run away so better gobble it up quick. A very bad look, he should never ever represent the national team again.
Lol a couple of sixes against dibbly dobblers in franchise cricket within a few months, and people with memories of goldfishss will be calling for his inclusion again

Azam is the most non-serious individual in this whole Paksitan squad. This guy just won't listen to anybody and will keep on taking meals that have negative affects on his body because according to him, he is hitting sixes because of his weight.

He is more of a dead-weight now for Pakistan and should be rested for good now.

I hope Azam khan sees videos of Pant, Gurbaz and how they have been keeping and batting throughout the tournament.

This is the standard of international T20 keepers and the role he is auditioning for in the tournament.

We get very excitee in Pakistan cricket when one of our players hits a few sixes in the PSL or in other T20 leagues.

Many examples of this.

I think you misunderstood the situation. Yes, some people went a bit overboard with his weight but the reality is all 15 played from each team represents their respective team. When you bring a huge wrestler player type of a person and to make it worst play him, it reflects poorly. It shows others that pak doesn't care about standards. He should be subjected to taking certain abuse. Also, his weight problems from what I have read has less to do with diseases or other issue but food. Bro has no discipline and deserve no spot in the team. Inzamam set a bad precedent for next gen players

Truly a national treasure and should make a wax statue of him and put it in one of our museums. They already doing it in Dallas wax museum…but they ran of out wax to sculpt his stature…so its pending.

He's been good to make everyone aware of the importance of fitness not just with the players but everyone else in the country.

Hopefully the youngsters will start taking their fitness seriously.

Everyone should have 30-60 minutes a day to take care of their health.

is there anyone over here in Pakpassion who could shed light on whether he has gained weight over the years? I agree with people terming him as non serious individual. With all the world class facilities, gym instructors, it’s hardly 6 months game for him to loose weight.

is there anyone over here in Pakpassion who could shed light on whether he has gained weight over the years? I agree with people terming him as non serious individual. With all the world class facilities, gym instructors, it’s hardly 6 months game for him to loose weight.

He has absolutely put on weight. He can't control his tastebuds. Sadly his family and circle of friends have happily accepted him for how he is.

Back