[EXCLUSIVE] "Babar Azam needs a sports psychologist": Atiq-uz-Zaman

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The first Test against England in Multan saw Pakistan break another embarrassing record, becoming the first team to lose by an innings after posting a score of 500+ in the first innings. As is often the case in Pakistan cricket, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) responded with some major reactionary steps, including the release of Babar Azam, Sarfaraz Ahmed, Shaheen Shah Afridi, and Naseem Shah from the Test squad.

Additionally, a new four-member selection committee was formed, featuring former Test pacer Aaqib Javed, middle-order batters Asad Shafiq and Azhar Ali, and, surprisingly, former umpire Aleem Dar.

To discuss these developments, Saj sat down with one of PakPassion's regular contributors and former Pakistan Test wicketkeeper, Atiq-uz-Zaman. An ECB-qualified Level 4 coach, Atiq did not hold back in this explosive interview with PakPassion.

From addressing Babar Azam's poor form to analyzing the deeper issues within Pakistan cricket, Atiq offered a fresh perspective on the challenges currently facing the PCB.

Key Points to look forward to:

1.Another whitewash for Pakistan at home?
2.How Babar Azam made enemies in the media
3.The sad state of affairs in the PCB

Until he reaches his former heights and glories again he will always be open to such criticism
I'm sure he will be willing to try anything in order to propagate his own success again

I think the whole Pakistan team needs a psychologist as none of them seem mentally stable these days.
look at what a fresh face and mindset can change things around....

Shan to hide his inability to score runs was talking about backing players even they dont perform and also pushing that idea firmly despite losing streak... Good that the new selection committee (y) had the courage to drop those so called big players who have achieved so less for the hype and fame they received..

Babar is a very good batsman. He will be back and score high class runs for his team.
Pak players have very big egos, they are just simply uneducated who fight like kids for that captain spot...
if they make him captain he will start scoring runs just like he is never out of form...

Babar has faced a challenging few years, juggling the role of captain, stepping down, and taking the blame for underperformances. During this time, he may have taken his own game for granted and likely didn’t focus as much on improving his personal performance. With the growing criticism from all sides, it would have been easy for him to focus more on the pressures of captaincy, which in turn caused his batting to suffer in the background. Now, he's reached a point where he needs a reset. This break could be beneficial for him, as long as he approaches it with the right mindset—which, frankly, he has no choice but to do.

Interesting point that Atiq makes regarding support for Pakistani cricketers.

I know that most other Boards have player support personnel available but I doubt PCB has such people readily available for players.

Back