[EXCLUSIVE] "India have got a great cricket system": David Lloyd in Conversation with PakPassion

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In our latest interview by Saj with renowned commentator and former England captain, David Lloyd, we delve into India's dominance on home turf and the challenges faced by players like Shoaib Bashir due to visa issues.

Lloyd's expert analysis sheds light on the complexities of international cricket and the intricate dynamics shaping the game. Don't miss out on this engaging conversation with a cricketing legend!

He is right. India has a specially designed cricket system where players are engaged in cricket year round. They also have a good salary system, so players don't rebel to play in other franchise leagues. IPL's big money is the reason their system doesn't need to depend on the ICC or any other board.

He is right. India has a specially designed cricket system where players are engaged in cricket year round. They also have a good salary system, so players don't rebel to play in other franchise leagues. IPL's big money is the reason their system doesn't need to depend on the ICC or any other board.
I think it's mostly about size of economy. Eng and Aus can do reasonably well due to same reason. Pakistan has potential to do well as soon as economy gets fixed. Simply capitalize on size of economy to provide a good system.

Bumble quite rightly mentioned the MRF pace academy in Chennai.

That was a huge turning point in Indian cricket and when they started to produce pacers initially with the guidance of Dennis Lillee. Before that they were relying on medium pacers who were ineffective most of the time.

That investment turned out to be huge and very successful.

Its not economy alone, its also brains, foresight, attitude and willingness to be the point of difference. It applies across several sports, not cricket alone. There is a massive change and higher accountability- check coaching in several sports across the SAI centres, the results you are seeing vis-a-vis Asian games where we breached the 100 medal barrier and also the last two commonwealth games in which we performed better than a much more traditional sporting powerhouse like Canada. There are several disciplines in which our atheletes are shining.

The risk taking ability is also enhanced in india, several examples of coaches taking a punt on a youngster and it coming off with the right guidance and nurturing.

coming back to cricket, contrary to what David lloyd says, and i agree that the system is in place but i feel India is going to face a massive cricketing recession very soon.
Ash, VK, shami, che pu, Jinks, Ishant, Jadeja, KL will all be leaving in one massive purge. I do not think we have replacements of even half their calibre.

Our pace bowling will be the worst hit. I only hope i am wrong in this but the gadzillion guzzling BCCI cement heads are only interested in who-the-fridge playing what-the-truck IPL games and the moolah generated from this. There does not appear to be any successin planning, long term vision. Hence, what i mentioned for other sports-which is bound to take off and we are bound to be more successful come the next olympix, Asiad, commonwealth, world championships , is severely lacking in indian cricket. Throw in our pathetic quality of pitches, i for one feel we are going nowhere for next few years till a major course correction happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss this guy one of the best man.

Alongwith the late Bob willis

Also Tony greig is a great miss

Used to watch the County games with willis and allot in the commentary

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent interview, but somewhat superficial. What I would like to understand (maybe from such interviews) is the following:
  1. How much did it cost ECB to house their players in UAE for training/acclimatization prior to the India tour? Yes, as per Bumble, visiting teams should no longer expect pitches and competitive local sides in practice games prior to the big games. So England players spent 2 weeks in UAE getting used to the heat and playing on pitches similar to what get in India. They did the same thing before their 2022-23 tour to Pakistan. That's why they've been doing so well in the sub-continent lately. Training for 2 weeks in UAE obviously not free. How much does it cost? Instead of PCB/fans expecting competitive practice games in Australia, maybe our sights expectations should change.
  2. Regarding MRF Pace Foundation - It hasn't really produced pace bowlers of note lately. In fact if you visit their website, it seems as though the last player of note to come from there was Zaheer Khan. Instead, I would like to know how much BCCI spends on A team series. It's amazing how these go by almost unnoticed, but at the same time as the Indian national team of South Africa, their A team was also touring South Africa. And currently while England is touring India, England Lions are also playing India A. This is how India always has players on standby who are truly ready to answer the call. This is how Jaiswal and Verma have hit the ground running. So, for example, if/when they decide to finally pick Sarfaraz Khan, they would have picked a guy who has already scored runs for India A against England, South Africa, Bangladesh, and New Zealand. That's how you build a bench.

I like the fact that BCCI prioritises first class cricket and tries to get its players to also do that.

It's interesting when people praise a 'new' player for India, when in fact that guy already has 50 plus first class matches under his belt.

I like the fact that BCCI prioritises first class cricket and tries to get its players to also do that.

It's interesting when people praise a 'new' player for India, when in fact that guy already has 50 plus first class matches under his belt.
The latest being Sarfaraz Khan, called up into the side for the ongoing Test series against England.

The cricket system and chaos has been a long standing issue for us.

We have the money and resources but we also have leeches at the top who are taking money from the system rather than investing in domestic and player programmes with financial security.

100s of people claiming to be "admin" staff taking salaries due to political connections.

We are a massive brand but poorly marketed and dont understand the different revenue streams and platforms available to us to excel because the priorities are not sincere to Pakistan cricket or Hockey, Football, Boxing etc.

I remember many a IK interview where he talked about having different pitches like pace, spin, bounce etc around different parts of the country to make players more well rounded for all conditions and yet we still having done it.

The outfields are not safe to dive on without getting injuries.

Bumble is spot on about having a sound structure at the top.

otherwise it filters down to the players and performances are nt there and supporters get critical.

With England for example each and every player new or old knows that stokes and Mac support them to play "Bazball" without fear of failure and being dropped or replaced.

where as our players are constantly looking over their shoulder from one game to the next or series to series.

Prime example being Aamir Jamal after a fantastic debut test series in Australia he was dropped from the T20 side after the first game of the NZ tour and didnt play the rest of the series.

Once you identify a player and he has shown capabilities you give them a long rope.

Especially when we need a pace bowling all rounder.

The same goes for Saim. These players are the future.

That was a huge turning point in Indian cricket and when they started to produce pacers initially with the guidance of Dennis Lillee. Before that they were relying on medium pacers who were ineffective most of the time.

This is true. people always used to make fun of the indian medium pacers and compare them to spinners.

I remember we used to have bants with the indian lads at school who always wanted to produce a Shoaib, Wasim, waqar type bowler but never could.

Credit to their board for being sincere to their cricket and bringing lillee and investing heavily to improve that weak aspect of their game.

I always feel watching the indian bowlers that they are mechanical rather than natural which is the total opposite of our players.

Yashasvi Jaiswal is a testament to the value of playing First-class cricket. He has been playing First-class cricket for 5 years, has already played 20 First-class matches scoring over 2000 runs at an average of over 70.

Never underestimate the importance of playing First-class cricket and a strong first-class competition and structure.

All about priorities.

MRF helped guys like Mcgrath too.

MRF helped guys like Mcgrath too.
But it was a huge help in developing Indian pacers and was a very worthwhile investment.

They brought in some excellent coaches to work there.

I love how Bumble says, "there is every chance we will lose this game" and a day or 2 later, England somehow win it. Everyone thought that, but it's just shows how mentally resilient the England team is.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bumble doing some commentary at the PSL. He'd be a lot better than some of the people they hire.

The frustration for BCCI remains the lack of ICC tournament wins.

The frustration for BCCI remains the lack of ICC tournament wins.
I don't think BCCI cares. Their interest is money which is the interest of every cricket board. Look at SA . They sent a B team to NZ for test series. Money, system cannot help perennial chokers suddenly step up in crucial games against sides that are inferior to them. MSD won three tournaments under his captaincy in addition to several IPL tournaments. He didn't have a great bowling unit like this.

Back