[EXCLUSIVE] PSL's shortcomings & how can it be improved – with Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the PSL

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Salman Sarwar Butt, the visionary behind the inception and establishment of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), recently discussed his journey and shared his insights on the tournament's nine seasons in an exclusive interview for PakPassion with Saj.

Here are some key points from their conversation:

• Establishment of the PSL: Salman Sarwar Butt shared the inspiration and challenges he faced while conceptualizing and setting up the PSL, highlighting the effort and vision that went into creating a successful cricket league in Pakistan.
  • Strengths and Weaknesses of the PSL: He discussed the aspects where the PSL has excelled and areas where improvements are needed. This includes the quality of cricket, player development, and fan engagement.
  • Flaws in the PSL's Marketing Strategies: Salman pointed out some shortcomings in the PSL's marketing approach, suggesting potential changes or improvements to attract a broader audience and increase the league's popularity.
  • Reasons for the Low Turnout in Karachi: He addressed the issue of low attendance in Karachi matches, identifying possible reasons such as security concerns, scheduling conflicts, or lack of effective marketing in certain regions.
  • Improving the Quality of Overseas Players: Salman discussed strategies to enhance the quality and participation of overseas players in the PSL, which could elevate the standard of cricket and make the league more competitive.
  • Has the PSL Stagnated? Lastly, he reflected on whether the PSL has reached a plateau in terms of growth and innovation, suggesting ways to keep the tournament fresh, exciting, and relevant in the evolving landscape of T20 cricket.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is great that you have given a platform to people that we wouldn't typically hear from in the media. It's interesting to see his vision and ambition but sadly there are just too many limitations at the moment to see it bear fruit.

Mr Sarwar is a great man and visionary character, just to need overhaul the process a bit more as some lacunas are still there.

PSL needs some proper actual out of the box thinking for revival. Just imitating IPL alone may not be enough. Pakistan's economy is in the dumps therefore there is always going to be a cap on the broadcast, commercial sponsorship income the league can earn from traditional sources, PCB, PSL Franchises should launch an actual PSL conference, summit where they should invite not only the franchises but all major corporations, major Pakistani businessmen, Pakistani finance ministry officials and all the stakeholders should be invited to engage in a positive discourse on how to take the league to the next level. Inviting Foreign sponsors from Saudia, UAE, China e.t.c. should also be considered.

Right now PCB is sadly treating the product as just another domestic event to just get over with which is criminal and shocking. Zaka Ashraf apparently expressed zero interest in addressing the PSL affairs and was more interested in launching a T10 league because the PSL was Sethi's product, not his and he only resigned once the Pakistani govt (rightfully so) refused to give him the go ahead to launch his T10 league.

I would have put the PSL on the stock exchange and get it under private sector management by now in order to prevent it from being impacted from any changes in PCB management.

PSL needs proper leadership

A man of vision and not someone connected with PCB who is more interested in his short term future.

PSL needs Salman Sarwar Butt back at the helm.

There will come a point when the PSL reaches a limit, in fact it's probably already there - finances, interest, coverage, presentation all seem to be at a point where they are not growing.

Nobody seems to be taking it to the next level and that is dangerous as other tournaments are coming on board and getting ahead of the PSL.

There will come a point when the PSL reaches a limit, in fact it's probably already there - finances, interest, coverage, presentation all seem to be at a point where they are not growing.

Nobody seems to be taking it to the next level and that is dangerous as other tournaments are coming on board and getting ahead of the PSL.

Tbh there has been lack of interest by the different PCB Chairman's who have come into the board of Late. Ramiz was more interested in his pet project PJL from 2021 to 2022 and he ignored the PSL, in fact he even reduced the budget for the opening ceremony which was very poor and short during his tenure.

Then Zaka Ashraf from 2023 onwards also ignored the affairs of the PSL, his mindset was this is Najam Sethi's project, i need to urgently do something of my own and during that time period he was focusing on launching a T10 league and supporting the Sindh government's Sindh Premier League, he only quit once the caretaker government made clear to him that they were not going to support his T10 league project.

Najam Sethi was the only one who increased the PSL budget and PCB's attention to the league.

The first step that has to be taken is to take the PSL out of the PCB, put it under the responsibility of another entity i.e. a private limited company which should have a full professional board, management whose sole responsibility is to administer, arrange the PSL, deal with the Franchises and PSL matters and be fully accountable to the Board and Shareholders. This way the changes in the PCB should not impact the PSL.

PSL is not bringing any innovations in the system to match other leagues. The same old tried and tested system is in use. Why not bring new rules and stuff to make it more exciting? Like, powerplay rule or impact player-type stuff.

I think franchise owners are afraid of doing experiments. They are happy with what they are getting I guess.

Tbh there has been lack of interest by the different PCB Chairman's who have come into the board of Late. Ramiz was more interested in his pet project PJL from 2021 to 2022 and he ignored the PSL, in fact he even reduced the budget for the opening ceremony which was very poor and short during his tenure.

Then Zaka Ashraf from 2023 onwards also ignored the affairs of the PSL, his mindset was this is Najam Sethi's project, i need to urgently do something of my own and during that time period he was focusing on launching a T10 league and supporting the Sindh government's Sindh Premier League, he only quit once the caretaker government made clear to him that they were not going to support his T10 league project.

Najam Sethi was the only one who increased the PSL budget and PCB's attention to the league.

The first step that has to be taken is to take the PSL out of the PCB, put it under the responsibility of another entity i.e. a private limited company which should have a full professional board, management whose sole responsibility is to administer, arrange the PSL, deal with the Franchises and PSL matters and be fully accountable to the Board and Shareholders. This way the changes in the PCB should not impact the PSL.
I feel the quality, the product, the coverage - each year is going downhill.

Sooner or later there has to be changes.

I feel the quality, the product, the coverage - each year is going downhill.

Sooner or later there has to be changes.
I feel the only long term way to survive is for increased financial investment, specifically regarding player and staff salary, accommodation, surrounding areas, stadia etc. Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem like it’ll happen any time soon.

Big Pak corporates should be 'bullied' into investing into PSL - this is the job of the PSL leaders - especially since PCB Chairmen have historically been connected with the Govt and thus can use leverage.

I feel the only long term way to survive is for increased financial investment, specifically regarding player and staff salary, accommodation, surrounding areas, stadia etc. Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem like it’ll happen any time soon.
The concern is that if the franchises continue to show a lack of interest, then things can only go downhill.

PSL needs some proper actual out of the box thinking for revival. Just imitating IPL alone may not be enough. Pakistan's economy is in the dumps therefore there is always going to be a cap on the broadcast, commercial sponsorship income the league can earn from traditional sources, PCB, PSL Franchises should launch an actual PSL conference, summit where they should invite not only the franchises but all major corporations, major Pakistani businessmen, Pakistani finance ministry officials and all the stakeholders should be invited to engage in a positive discourse on how to take the league to the next level. Inviting Foreign sponsors from Saudia, UAE, China e.t.c. should also be considered.

Right now PCB is sadly treating the product as just another domestic event to just get over with which is criminal and shocking. Zaka Ashraf apparently expressed zero interest in addressing the PSL affairs and was more interested in launching a T10 league because the PSL was Sethi's product, not his and he only resigned once the Pakistani govt (rightfully so) refused to give him the go ahead to launch his T10 league.

I would have put the PSL on the stock exchange and get it under private sector management by now in order to prevent it from being impacted from any changes in PCB management.

Intesting ideas.

On foreign sponsors -- dont' we already have KFC, Pepsi etc?

On listing it -- that is an interesting concept. It would certainly bring in more money, it would incentivize professionalism, stadium upgrades, expidite having more teams, and it would bring more innovative ideas.

The downside of it would perhaps be, that the PSL would be more motivated to keep more money instead of distributing it among the franchisees. And that could hinder things as well

Intesting ideas.

On foreign sponsors -- dont' we already have KFC, Pepsi etc?

On listing it -- that is an interesting concept. It would certainly bring in more money, it would incentivize professionalism, stadium upgrades, expidite having more teams, and it would bring more innovative ideas.

The downside of it would perhaps be, that the PSL would be more motivated to keep more money instead of distributing it among the franchisees. And that could hinder things as well

We need more foreign sponsors, when i look at the IPL, they have Qatar Airways, Emirates, other Chinese companies sponsoring teams, last year Saudia Arabia too sponsored the IPL.

Franchises themselves can be invited to buy shares in the PSL and they can be rewarded via Dividends.

We need more foreign sponsors, when i look at the IPL, they have Qatar Airways, Emirates, other Chinese companies sponsoring teams, last year Saudia Arabia too sponsored the IPL.

Franchises themselves can be invited to buy shares in the PSL and they can be rewarded via Dividends.

Even better would be if each of the Franchisees go public as well

Look at the fandom in the IPL -- really is some next level atmosphere, fan expirence and team loyalty. PSL really needs to emulate this

5bb1AC5.png

Look at the fandom in the IPL -- really is some next level atmosphere, fan expirence and team loyalty. PSL really needs to emulate this

5bb1AC5.png

Contrast this to Karachi and Karachi Kings. The most mis managed PSL franchise.

Merchandise revenue would be huge for these franchises - instead they just seem to be competing with PCB instead of all parties working together and making the PSL bigger and better.

Too many people comfortable in making easy money in the PSL and not prepared to improve the event.

The first thing the sponsors will ask is what is in it for us?

Look at the presentation, the marketing, the commentary, the interviews - amateur!

Do huge companies what to be a part of such an amateur set-up? No they don't.

The first thing the sponsors will ask is what is in it for us?

Look at the presentation, the marketing, the commentary, the interviews - amateur!

Do huge companies what to be a part of such an amateur set-up? No they don't.

Like i said this question needs to be asked from the last few PCB chairmans i.e. Ehsan Mani, Ramiz, Zaka Ashraf as to what did they do for the PSL? Did they hussle to address the PSL affairs and to improve the event?

If I launch a new mobile phone handset tomorrow which has the same functions as others, can I call myself a visionary? Not sure I can.

PSL is a copy paste format.

If I launch a new mobile phone handset tomorrow which has the same functions as others, can I call myself a visionary? Not sure I can.

PSL is a copy paste format.

This logic applies to all the other leagues as well. BCCI were not the first ones to launch a T20 league, it was England with their Natwest T20 league in 2003.

This logic applies to all the other leagues as well. BCCI were not the first ones to launch a T20 league, it was England with their Natwest T20 league in 2003.
Agreed. BCCI did take it to another level though and credit to them.

Agreed. BCCI did take it to another level though and credit to them.
Yes, and every year they change things up to make it that more appealing:

- super sub
- 2 bouncers per over

just changes it up a bit.

PSL need to innovate. At the very least, they can:

1) Add fan parks like they do in IPL
2) bigger stadiums, with better facilities & toilets & food options
3) sell those commentary sets like they do in the UK. Those make watching live games a lot more fun
4) Each team should have a celebrity ambassador like the IPL does to give a bit more buzz

Yes, and every year they change things up to make it that more appealing:

- super sub
- 2 bouncers per over

just changes it up a bit.

PSL need to innovate. At the very least, they can:

1) Add fan parks like they do in IPL
2) bigger stadiums, with better facilities & toilets & food options
3) sell those commentary sets like they do in the UK. Those make watching live games a lot more fun
4) Each team should have a celebrity ambassador like the IPL does to give a bit more buzz

These things can easily be done provided the PCB sincerely plans for the next PSL tournament well in advance i.e. 5-6 months and fully plans the schedule, allocates a hefty marketing, advertising budget and encourages the Franchises to match it and contacts all the stake holders well in advance.

Apart from Najam Sethi who considers the PSL his pet project and rightfully so, all the other PCB chairmen's who have come out of resentment, jealousy that they weren't founders of the league have neglected, ignored, under invested in the PSL and have instead focused on their useless unnecessary pet projects i.e. PJL, T10, Sindh Premier League.

The PSL needs to be put in another entity i.e. listed on the stock exchange where the PCB can be the majority shareholder but the other interested shareholders including the franchises can be encouraged to become shareholders so that everyone can unanimously hire a fully professional board, management to fully manage the leagues affairs. The PSL Franchises have been demanding this for a very long time but the PCB has been very lazy on this front.

Ramiz was the guy who really burnt his bridges with the PSL franchise owners with his frequent outbursts and misbehaviors and in the end Javed Afridi lobbied with the PML N government to have him removed.

Wasim Khan in his exit interview to a journalist in 2022 commented that while he credited Najam Sethi for giving birth to the PSL along with the existing Franchises, the reality was that the whole league, the PSL model and concept was set up on a wing and a prayer where the parties involved did it out of desperation and for patriotic reasons but in the long run the league did not have a sustainable financial model for the franchises and the PCB's and the franchises hands were tied because the contracts were locked in for ten years.

Let's see if both the PCB and the PSL franchises have truly learnt their lessons of the last ten years and can come up with proper professional modern sustainable contracts and arrangements with win win for both parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSL to be stoped from 2025? Bad news arrives from Pakistan Cricket

In a recent development, it has been revealed by local Pakistani outlets that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is struggling to find a suitable window for the 10th edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

The particular time frame in which the country's apex board organizes this event is being challenged by the national team's commitment to foreign bilateral tours of South Africa and New Zealand. In such a case, the board along with franchise owners are contemplating as to when the league should be organized.

The upcoming edition of PSL will be a special one given the fact that the league, which began in 2016, will celebrate its 10th anniversary. With that being said, the PCB must have a lot of things on its mind to make the 10th edition much more special than it has ever been.

That might see them organize a lit opening ceremony and also expect plenty more eyeballs than they received in season 9 earlier this year.

However, planning the 10th edition of PSL is not going to be that easy due to ICC's future tour programs in the period when the league begins.

The PCB has usually organized the event from January to March with the league lasting for about one and a half months.

But next year, the Green Army has a lot of international games to be played, plus the ICC Champions Trophy over there will also take place in the initial months of 2025.

What are the complications that PCB is facing in organizing PSL 10?

Firstly, Pakistan will be embarking on a tour of South Africa, probably in December, which is going to end by January next year. Then right after that, they will fly over to New Zealand for a white-ball tour which will also take at least 2-3 weeks to complete.

In the following month of February, talks are ongoing between New Zealand, South Africa, and PCB about playing a triangular ODI series in Pakistan for the first time in over 20 years.

Then in February-March, the ICC Champions Trophy is set to take place in Pakistan and these are the primary reasons why PSL 10 is struggling to find a suitable window.

On the other hand, all the franchise owners of the league had initially asked the PCB to schedule the domestic competition in February but the board is reluctant to do so because they don't want to miss out on organizing the tri-series against the Proteas and Kiwis.

PCB thinking of scheduling PSL 10 on April

Reports have also suggested that the PCB thought of scheduling PSL 10 in the summer months of April and May, the same time when the BCCI organizes the cash-laden IPL. But the franchise owners are totally against this idea of the board.

They fear that foreign players might opt to head over to India for the Premier League due to the higher wages and it might also affect the viewership numbers of the Super League.

It was also indicated that September could be the month when PSL 10 might happen but the England national team is going to be there for a tour in October. So with these many challenges, it will be interesting to see what the PCB does eventually.

CricketAddictor

In a recent development, it has been revealed by local Pakistani outlets that the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is struggling to find a suitable window for the 10th edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

The particular time frame in which the country's apex board organizes this event is being challenged by the national team's commitment to foreign bilateral tours of South Africa and New Zealand. In such a case, the board along with franchise owners are contemplating as to when the league should be organized.

The upcoming edition of PSL will be a special one given the fact that the league, which began in 2016, will celebrate its 10th anniversary. With that being said, the PCB must have a lot of things on its mind to make the 10th edition much more special than it has ever been.

That might see them organize a lit opening ceremony and also expect plenty more eyeballs than they received in season 9 earlier this year.

However, planning the 10th edition of PSL is not going to be that easy due to ICC's future tour programs in the period when the league begins.

The PCB has usually organized the event from January to March with the league lasting for about one and a half months.

But next year, the Green Army has a lot of international games to be played, plus the ICC Champions Trophy over there will also take place in the initial months of 2025.

Firstly, Pakistan will be embarking on a tour of South Africa, probably in December, which is going to end by January next year. Then right after that, they will fly over to New Zealand for a white-ball tour which will also take at least 2-3 weeks to complete.

In the following month of February, talks are ongoing between New Zealand, South Africa, and PCB about playing a triangular ODI series in Pakistan for the first time in over 20 years.

Then in February-March, the ICC Champions Trophy is set to take place in Pakistan and these are the primary reasons why PSL 10 is struggling to find a suitable window.

On the other hand, all the franchise owners of the league had initially asked the PCB to schedule the domestic competition in February but the board is reluctant to do so because they don't want to miss out on organizing the tri-series against the Proteas and Kiwis.

Reports have also suggested that the PCB thought of scheduling PSL 10 in the summer months of April and May, the same time when the BCCI organizes the cash-laden IPL. But the franchise owners are totally against this idea of the board.

They fear that foreign players might opt to head over to India for the Premier League due to the higher wages and it might also affect the viewership numbers of the Super League.

It was also indicated that September could be the month when PSL 10 might happen but the England national team is going to be there for a tour in October. So with these many challenges, it will be interesting to see what the PCB does eventually.

CricketAddictor

Khudda Kay Liye experiment and figure out a slot in August September in 2025.

CricketAddictor
I already sense downfall of PSL

Wasim Khan in his exit interview to a journalist in 2022 commented that while he credited Najam Sethi for giving birth to the PSL along with the existing Franchises, the reality was that the whole league, the PSL model and concept was set up on a wing and a prayer where the parties involved did it out of desperation and for patriotic reasons but in the long run the league did not have a sustainable financial model for the franchises and the PCB's and the franchises hands were tied because the contracts were locked in for ten years.

Let's see if both the PCB and the PSL franchises have truly learnt their lessons of the last ten years and can come up with proper professional modern sustainable contracts and arrangements with win win for both parties.
The existing model has run its course.

Changes are needed if the PSL is to continue to grow.

At the moment it's going nowhere.

Good to know a bit of history about the start of Pakistan Super League by a person who was in the middle of everything. The broadcasting rights value has gone up from $12 million for 3 years to $15 million a year is not a bad improvement.

Back