[EXCLUSIVE] "Right-handers have class, Left-handers have swagger": Shamyl Hussain

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Shamyl Hussain is one of the finest talents to have come out of the system through a proper channel. From starting his journey with Pakistan U13s to playing in the semi-final of ICC U19 World Cup 2024 recently. He has performed in every age-group tournament.

He was also one of the few talented batters spotted in the inaugural Pakistan Junior League (PJL) where he captained Gwadar Sharks to the final under the mentorship of Sir Vivian Richards.

In the latest episode of PakPassion exclusive interviews, Mohammad Aizaz joined Shamyl for an exclusive candid chat where the young batter talked about his cricketing idols, the role of his father in his career, his time at Islamabad United, and he also answered the very famous question of How & Why are left-handers cooler than the right-handers?

The topics he discussed in this interview include:

Who Inspired Shamyl?: He reveals his cricketing idols and the role his father played in shaping his career.

Thoughts on PJL?: The young batter shares his experience of captaining Gwadar Sharks to the final in the inaugural Pakistan Junior League under the mentorship of Sir Vivian Richards.

His famous catch against Bangladesh in the ICC U19 World Cup 2024: He relives the moment that made headlines and shares his thoughts on the tournament.

ICC U19 World Cup 2024 semi-final: The left-handed batter opens up about the disappointment after being defeated in the semi-final against Australia U19 and how he bounced back.

Experience with Islamabad United: He talks about his time with the franchise and what he learned from the experience.

Learning from Salman Ali Agha: The young prospect shares valuable insights gained from his mentor.

Watch full interview here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shamyl is upcoming future prospect for Pakistan, He reminds me of Yuvraj Singh. It was fun to shoot and edit this interview

Shamyl is upcoming future prospect for Pakistan, He reminds me of Yuvraj Singh. It was fun to shoot and edit this interview

Not like an Imam-ul-haq considering his slow sr?

Shamyl really needs to work on his strike rate which is on the slower side.

During the Under-19 World Cup 2024 he had an average of 30 and a strike rate of 68 which is horrible.

In modern day cricket such stats won't get you anywhere.

A good star needs to work on improving his SR as an opener.

His strike rate sometimes is a problem. Even in the U19 World Cup, his strike was too low. Still early days for this guy but he is definitely one to look out for.

Still remember that catch against Bangladesh, it was a stunner. A catch that he will remember for years to come.

His current game plan is either tuk tuk or boom boom , can't rotate the strike and can't playing moving ball with bounce and pace but can whack it good on both sides of the wicket even the high pace deliveries if there is no movement, but very good against spin bowling which is strange too see from an opener remind me of Imad Wasim's batting against spin bowling.

His strike rate sometimes is a problem. Even in the U19 World Cup, his strike was too low. Still early days for this guy but he is definitely one to look out for.

Still remember that catch against Bangladesh, it was a stunner. A catch that he will remember for years to come.
Watch the interview he talked about that as well

His current game plan is either tuk tuk or boom boom , can't rotate the strike and can't playing moving ball with bounce and pace but can whack it good on both sides of the wicket even the high pace deliveries if there is no movement, but very good against spin bowling which is strange too see from an opener remind me of Imad Wasim's batting against spin bowling.

The fact that these problems persist across generations of Pakistani batsmen implies that it's a problem with the coaching and tactical conditioning the junior batsmen are receiving. The game in Pakistan still seems to be lagging the rest of the world by a number of years.

A good prospect that needs good coaches around him to teach him the nuances of batting, understanding the game and understanding his game. i.e strengths and weaknesses, focussing on strike rotation, hunger to score big when in and finish off games.

He also needs to understand fitness requirements, eating the right foods etc off the field behaviour, dealing with social media.

That goes for all up and coming prospects.

Reminds me of Babar: He can only score against small teams and pressure-less matches

hahaha no he can hit long
So far, he is following in the footsteps of the Imam with his strike rate. Would like to go down the route of Saeed Anwer or Fakhar Zaman.

He is still young and has a long way to go. He can be groomed.

Best of luck to him for his future prospects. I hope most of our under 19 boys get at least some opportunities in the upcoming season.

Best of luck to him for his future prospects. I hope most of our under 19 boys get at least some opportunities in the upcoming season.
Yep. U19 boys will take part in a tri-series against UAE U19 and Afghanistan U19. I hope Shamyl shows what he is actually capable of.

He needs to work on his strike rate and not be another Imam Ul haq.

Yep. U19 boys will take part in a tri-series against UAE U19 and Afghanistan U19. I hope Shamyl shows what he is actually capable of.

He needs to work on his strike rate and not be another Imam Ul haq.
Better to select the batch which will play in the next worldcup

Back