"Fast Bowlers are like Formula 1 Cars": Ian Pont in an Exclusive Interview with PakPassion.net

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Dive into the world of pace bowling with the insightful conversation between Ian Pont and SajSadiq for PakPassion.net. In this recent interview, the seasoned pace bowling coach draws an intriguing analogy, likening fast bowlers to F1 Formula Cars. Uncover the fascinating insights and parallels between the high-speed realm of fast bowling and the precision-driven world of pace coaching.

Ian Pont's perspectives add a new dimension to understanding the art and science of pace bowling. Don't miss this engaging discussion that unveils the secrets behind the pace bowler's craft, exploring the nuances that make them the F1 cars of cricket."

Really nice to see that Pont has some serious eye on Pakistani players.

Loved the way he gave his in depth analysis about Naseem Shah... surely he is the one who could be a very good coach for Pakistan if he gets a chance.

Dive into the world of pace bowling with the insightful conversation between Ian Pont and SajSadiq for PakPassion.net. In this recent interview, the seasoned pace bowling coach draws an intriguing analogy, likening fast bowlers to F1 Formula Cars. Uncover the fascinating insights and parallels between the high-speed realm of fast bowling and the precision-driven world of pace coaching.

Ian Pont's perspectives add a new dimension to understanding the art and science of pace bowling. Don't miss this engaging discussion that unveils the secrets behind the pace bowler's craft, exploring the nuances that make them the F1 cars of cricket."

Ian Pont is a good T20 coach we can hire his services as coach or mentor like we hired services of Hayden in 2021 and 2022 and that would be great.

Ian Pont has very good cricketing sense. He has pointed out a very good point that pace is not something we should worry about with Shaheen Shah Afridi. The main concern is that he should not lose his swing.

A really insightful interview front Ian pont.

we ve been blessed with talent but the lack of professionalism in the system has cost us for decades.

His final point of polishing off our Fast bowling talent was an extremely valid one and one in which the PCB should take heed.

I feel a at lot of our bowlers would add at least 5ks in terms of speed if they finish their actions better in a straight allignment as pont pointed out.

He is the sort of coach who would be a good addition to our system from a technical point of view understanding bowling actions/ workloads etc whether at the NCA or maybe as a PSL bowling coach.

Ian Pont has very good cricketing sense. He has pointed out a very good point that pace is not something we should worry about with Shaheen Shah Afridi. The main concern is that he should not lose his swing.
This is what i said in one of my earlier posts.

He s 23 yeards old not 33.

Great interview. However, I would really like to understand from a professional like Ian Pont why Starc, Cummins, and Hazlewood were each able to bowl more overs than SSA in 2023 while sustaining 140+ kph.

Whatever reason you give for SSA (coming back from injury, not bowling enough red ball (which is what he said at the start of the Test series against Aus), bowling too much), gets debunked when compared against the Aussie trio.

I wonder to what extent post-match recovery also plays a part in this. I can imagine the Australian bowlers doing proper cool-down stretches, ice baths, massages, accupunture, etc.

It's one of those situations where 'I can't say for a fact, but I just know that its true' situations, but I really can't imagine our boys having proper cool-down routines.

Great interview. However, I would really like to understand from a professional like Ian Pont why Starc, Cummins, and Hazlewood were each able to bowl more overs than SSA in 2023 while sustaining 140+ kph.

Whatever reason you give for SSA (coming back from injury, not bowling enough red ball (which is what he said at the start of the Test series against Aus), bowling too much), gets debunked when compared against the Aussie trio.
Hi and thanks for the question.... the reasons the Aussies keep going are the same reasons, Jimmy Anderson is still bowling today at age 41. Bowlers break down for many reasons: over bowling, bowling too soon back from injury, not having a program to build up bowling fitness, having an action that can lead to unneccesary stresses, general fatigue and not being fit for purpose.

There are other factors too, such as good rest, diet, hydration plus more.

My general viewpoint was I am unsure why specifically the Pakistani bowlers appear to be breaking down - as well as losing some of their pace - compared to the Australian counterparts. I was merely giving reasons why it might be happening without fully understanding exactly their programming.

Technically speaking, there are things all the bowlers can do to get faster/more accurate/controlled and thus be more successful. The benefits of a wonderful S&C (Strength & Conditioning) program alongside excellent technical skills coaching, ought to be a priority for any fast bowling unit.

Hi and thanks for the question.... the reasons the Aussies keep going are the same reasons, Jimmy Anderson is still bowling today at age 41. Bowlers break down for many reasons: over bowling, bowling too soon back from injury, not having a program to build up bowling fitness, having an action that can lead to unneccesary stresses, general fatigue and not being fit for purpose.

There are other factors too, such as good rest, diet, hydration plus more.

My general viewpoint was I am unsure why specifically the Pakistani bowlers appear to be breaking down - as well as losing some of their pace - compared to the Australian counterparts. I was merely giving reasons why it might be happening without fully understanding exactly their programming.

Technically speaking, there are things all the bowlers can do to get faster/more accurate/controlled and thus be more successful. The benefits of a wonderful S&C (Strength & Conditioning) program alongside excellent technical skills coaching, ought to be a priority for any fast bowling unit.
So if we bring in Naseem Shah straight away in PSL whether it would lead to another premature injury or would be just fine to get back in rhythm before T20 World Cup 2024.

Wonderful interview. Always liked Ian's take on fast bowlers and bowling mechanics.

I do agree that workload has been one of the major differences. The Australian counterparts trio although experienced, they do manage their workload and don't play as many leagues as our pacers. They also eye in on that big Test Summer. I also think they have gotten used to their way of managing their body and know themselves well enough which youngsters like Shaheen and Naseem are still figuring out to some extent.

The Australian counterparts trio although experienced, they do manage their workload and don't play as many leagues as our pacers. They also eye in on that big Test Summer.
Which Summer - the English one where Cummins played 6 Tests in 8 weeks, or the Aus/NZ one where he'll end up playing 7 tests in 12 weeks? :p

Granted Cummins was injured a lot earlier in his career. But at least he returned to 140+ immediately.

I don't know what the solution is either. I'm just saying that this is SSA's responsibility alone. Nobody forced him to play in ILT20.

I worry about our pacers - priorities, workloads and levels of fitness.

What doesn't help is the constant moving of goalposts by PCB.

Which Summer - the English one where Cummins played 6 Tests in 8 weeks, or the Aus/NZ one where he'll end up playing 7 tests in 12 weeks? :p

Granted Cummins was injured a lot earlier in his career. But at least he returned to 140+ immediately.

I don't know what the solution is either. I'm just saying that this is SSA's responsibility alone. Nobody forced him to play in ILT20.
They prepare for it. Starc didn't played IPL for years. All of them don't play small or meaningless series and they take care of their fitness and diet to be just ready for a big Test series.

They are the standard today for Test fast bowlers in terms of maintenance.

I wonder if a stint at the NCA for Pont might be something that the PCB should look at.

I wonder if a stint at the NCA for Pont might be something that the PCB should look at.
I don't expect any such good thing from PCB atleast not until a proper cricketer assumes the role of chairman at PCB.

Pakistani fast bowlers are more like Go-Karts than F-1 cars.

Back