Federal Areas v Punjab | Islamabad | Oct 31 - Nov 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
PlanetPakistan said:
I was really hoping that they would give a week's break to the players.

how many days break they had ? 3-4 days? its enough, they ll get the same break during international matches.
and they are also coming back after long break

PlanetPakistan said:
I was really hoping that they would give a week's break to the players.
Yar, with not playing a single test all year, our players really don't need any rest. As it is, all of our first team players will be missing most of the tournament due to the Windies series so they're only going to get a couple of games anyway.

Sheikh said:
Yar, with not playing a single test all year, our players really don't need any rest. As it is, all of our first team players will be missing most of the tournament due to the Windies series so they're only going to get a couple of games anyway.
aray bhai if you haven't played a 4 day game for almost a year then the 1st game back is always the toughest so the players needed a longer break.

Random Aussie said:
So Talha is in, is Amer injured again? He is always injured it seems.

Shoaib's figures look good and he has bowled 6 overs out of 24....better
Aamir wasn't included in any of the pentangular squads. He's currently playing some u-19 domestic tourney.

Having said that, Umar Akmal wasn't included either but he's playing this game.

Either way, all the guys who weren't selected will get a chance once the national team heads off to abu dhabi.

Good performance by Rauf, Akhtar, Butt So far

Rauf is another one who can be considered against India, he is not a bowler os Asif's class but can play similat role

Salman Butt's moved onto 75 not out.

He's quite easily the best opener in the country.

Sheikh said:
Aamir wasn't included in any of the pentangular squads. He's currently playing some u-19 domestic tourney.

Having said that, Umar Akmal wasn't included either but he's playing this game.

Either way, all the guys who weren't selected will get a chance once the national team heads off to abu dhabi.

Would it be correct to say Aamir is not as close to national selection as some think?

Random Aussie said:
Would it be correct to say Aamir is not as close to national selection as some think?
Quite correct. The lad's only 16 so I think the selectors want to give him a season or two of domestic cricket, as well as some time to fill out physically. I mean, he's still growing you know?

In the meantime he'll be involved with the academy and A teams. The only way he'll get a senior call up is if he consistently destroys batting orders and/or the national team suffers a rash of injuries.

Sheikh said:
Quite correct. The lad's only 16 so I think the selectors want to give him a season or two of domestic cricket, as well as some time to fill out physically. I mean, he's still growing you know?

In the meantime he'll be involved with the academy and A teams. The only way he'll get a senior call up is if he consistently destroys batting orders and/or the national team suffers a rash of injuries.

Is Aamir's 16 a real 16?

How old was he when he played the last u19 world cup then? 15?

Thanks for the info Sheikh

Random Aussie said:
Is Aamir's 16 a real 16?

How old was he when he played the last u19 world cup then? 15?

Thanks for the info Sheikh
Apparently he was 15 during the last world cup.

I believe ''his cricket age is also his real age'' because of the wrist tests administered to the players before the world cup. The wrist tests are supposed to have a deviation of +/- 6 months I believe.

Some one else with more info on wrist tests could help clarify...

Sheikh said:
Apparently he was 15 during the last world cup.

I believe ''his cricket age is also his real age'' because of the wrist tests administered to the players before the world cup. The wrist tests are supposed to have a deviation of +/- 6 months I believe.

Some one else with more info on wrist tests could help clarify...

Yeah I was under the impression the wrist test were done now, hence the question.

The You tube video of him at the U19WC didn't look very impressive but then a later one I saw of Pak domestic he looked quite good.

But pretty promising to be able to bowl a cricket ball at decent pace and on line at 15 years of age. Horrible hairstyle though :Sami

Random Aussie said:
Yeah I was under the impression the wrist test were done now, hence the question.

The You tube video of him at the U19WC didn't look very impressive but then a later one I saw of Pak domestic he looked quite good.

But pretty promising to be able to bowl a cricket ball at decent pace and on line at 15 years of age. Horrible hairstyle though :Sami
He didn't play much during the WC, picked up an injury early on.

Yes, for a kid he bowls with good pace and direction. Also he mixes up his length quite well. If he develops his swing and is able to fill out a bit, he should be closer to a senior call-up.

The up-coming domestic season will be the first full season for most of the previous u-19 team and it's been PCB policy for the past few years to give our u-19 players a few seasons of domestic cricket before being called up to the national team.

Alam, Manzoor, Amjad, Riaz, Sarfraz, and Jamshed are examples.

Aamer is currently playing Inter region Under 19 cricket.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=143178

Aamer shines as all-rounder in low-scoring final

Sunday, October 26, 2008
From Abdul Mohi Shah

ISLAMABAD: Rawalpindi’s talented left-arm fast bowler, the 16-year-old Mohammad Aamer, ripped apart defending champions Sialkot as wickets fell like nine pins in final of the 2008-09 National Inter-Region Under-19 Three-day Cricket Championship, here at the Diamond Club Ground on the opening day of the four-day match on Saturday.

The Rawalpindi team that was put in to bat first was bowled out for just 108 runs in 38.4 overs with Aamer (31) at number eight emerging as the top scorer. Nasir Malik (16) at number 10 also played well.

Pace bowlers Mohammad Abbas (5-33) and Bilawal Bhatti (4-44), the captain, were the wreckers in chief for Sialkot.

Rawalpindi, however, fought back brilliantly through Aamer, who took six wickets for 6-32 runs in 12.5 overs, to shoot out Sialkot for just 86, enabling Rawalpindi take a slender 22 runs first innings lead.

The other left-arm pacer Nasir Malik (3-28) also bowled well. Openers Yasir Ali (29) and Mohammad Shoaib (11), incidentally, were the only Sialkot batsmen reaching double figures.

The sporting track at the Diamond Club Ground helped the quick bowlers and the batsmen found the going hard to adjust to the rising deliveries.

By the close of play, Rawalppindi had doubled their lead and were 22 for no loss in the eight overs possible. Twenty wickets fell on the opening day of the match.

Sialkot had won both the National Inter-Region Under-19 One-day and Three-day Championships last season. Rawalpindi, who are featuring in their fifth successive three-day event final, were the winners in 2005-06 and 2006-07, before Sialkot dethroned them in 2007-08. Rawalpindi have clinched the national under-19 three-day title on four occasions in all.

Scoreboard

Sialkot won toss

Rawalpindi 1st inns

Umair Azam b Bilawal 5

Hammad Azam b Bilawal 12

*Muzammil Nizam b Abbas 4

Najam Nisar b Abbas 6

Mashhood Abbasi c Kaleem b Bilawal 7

Shoaib Ahmed c Rauf b Abbas 3

†Jamal Anwar c Kaleem b Abbas 10

Mohammad Aamer c Qasim b Raza 31

Faisal Iqbal c Kaleem b Abbas 8

Nasir Malik c Kaleem b Bilawal 16

Kaleem Sana not out 2

Extras (b1, lb2, nb1) 4

Total (all out, 38.4 overs) 108

Fall: 1-16, 2-21, 3-21, 4-34, 5-34, 6-45, 7-48, 8-72, 9-93

Bowling: Mohammad Abbas 14-4-33-5; Bilawal Bhatti 17-4-44-4 (1nb); Ali Dawood 2-0-18-0; Raza Hasan 5.4-1-10-1

Sialkot 1st inns

Yasir Ali lbw b Aamer 29

Mohammad Shoaib c Muzammil b Aamer 11

Mohammad Qasim c Faisal b Aamer 3

Ayaz Tasawwar b Aamer 6

Nasir Iqbal c Umair b Kaleem 5

Abdul Rauf lbw b Nasir 8

†Kaleem Ahmed b Nasir 6

*Bilawal Bhatti c Mashhood b Nasir 4

Raza Hasan c Hammad b Aamer 1

Mohammad Abbas not out 2

Ali Dawood b Aamer 0

Extras (lb1, w1, nb9) 11

Total (all out, 31.5 overs) 86

Fall: 1-24, 2-45, 3-54, 4-54, 5-63, 6-74, 7-81, 8-83, 9-86

Bowling: Mohammad Aamer 12.5-1-32-6 (1nb); Nasir Malik 8-1-28-3 (6nb); Kaleem Sana 7-1-25-1 (2nb, 1w); Hammad Azam 4-4-0-0

Oh and btw, Rao "The Beautiful Killer" Anjum has taken another crisp wicket, gently knocking over the bails of Umar Akmal's wicket. He kindly offered a rebowl with a sheepish smile, but with one look at the ignominous gap between his teeth, Akmal was off.

I like how Butt is developing he will be a premier opener in world cricket by the timew he reaches 28.

^ Yes Rehman Bhai.. :D

Punjab needs to bowl well to come anywhere close to winning this match, or even gaining a couple of points... :)

Lets all pray so that sohail khan plays all the ODIs versus WI.
He really deserves it plz pcb . . . .

blinding light said:
^ Yes Rehman Bhai.. :D

Punjab needs to bowl well to come anywhere close to winning this match, or even gaining a couple of points... :)

The Faisalabadi Talent MOHAMMAD TALHA will do it Insha'Allah

Excellent performance fron Butt once again!

Mohammad Hafeez fails again i see...

a good start from Akhtar 5 overs, 3 maidens, 8 runs, 1 wicket of Hafeez again

he is making good progress and Insh'Allah he continues to do so....their is no doubt that he will be picked for the Abu Dhabi series as 10 overs i think is not going to be a problem for him Insh'Allah

Federal Areas skittled Punjab with Akhtar taking 4 wickets and Rao and Tanvir sharing 3 apiece!

Punjabs brave captain came in at number 7, sending Akmal and Amjad ahead of him. Didn't change the fact that he got dismissed for 1.

Target of 237 for what looked to be an extremely unlikely win for the F,A!

This tournament is sure throwing up some surprises!

Shoaib Akhtar 10-7-14-4

The only figures that are relevant to be perfectly honest :127:

Sheikh.. any channel in Pakistan showing these games!?

Easa said:
Sheikh.. any channel in Pakistan showing these games!?
Yar, you know I really thought there would be because I remember reading somewhere that geo would be televising it, but I've been checking all the local channels pretty much everyday and I haven't come across anything. Disappointing.

Sheikh said:
Yar, you know I really thought there would be because I remember reading somewhere that geo would be televising it, but I've been checking all the local channels pretty much everyday and I haven't come across anything. Disappointing.
Arre, that sucks.

I was also really looking forward to this tournament - good teams, talented players hoping to catch the selectors' eyes, players with points to prove, and a lot at stake. It's a shame that it's not even being covered properly on the internet. Still good to read up about the performances in the morning newspapers.

Easa said:
Arre, that sucks.

I was also really looking forward to this tournament - good teams, talented players hoping to catch the selectors' eyes, players with points to prove, and a lot at stake. It's a shame that it's not even being covered properly on the internet. Still good to read up about the performances in the morning newspapers.
Yeah, likewise. These games are being played with a competitive edge bringing together the best players in the country all aiming to stand out amongst the rest. The pitches seem to have a little something about them too. This is what domestic cricket should be about. This is what Imran Khan has pleaded for.

It's unfortunate that the t.v media hasn't covered it. I may be wrong but I think the last Pentangular Cup was televised so it makes it all the more surprising.

Easa said:
Shoaib Akhtar 10-7-14-4

The only figures that are relevant to be perfectly honest :127:
Oh brilliant stuff, an absolute killing from Akhtar, an absolute killing. Blue murder.

There was another fine performance in that match though I have to say. Follow the scent of potpourri and your eyes will fall upon it

DM said:
I should put a disclaimer that you will temporarily speak in Victorian tongue after viewing the aforementioned literature.
I must admit, when my eyes lazily drifted across the bowling figures of one Shakespearean pretender, I fell into a unique, hypnotic trance, which culminated in my reciting of some of the most beautiful sonnets about goddesses and pretty ladies, with Miltonesque precision and the general fluidity of voice of some of the most famous voices the world has heard.

Score updates is what we need. The English Lit class can wait :)

We're just amusing ourselves, while we wait for each painfully slow update :(

What's the point of living in Pakistan,if they don't broadcast the domestic games!?

Last edited by a moderator:
DM said:
Oh brilliant stuff, an absolute killing from Akhtar, an absolute killing. Blue murder.
Don't you mean Red murder?
:zahid

I mean murder so red it's blue :afridi
(and :))) @ reciting beautiful sonnets)

Guys are there any websites that give more frequent updates?

The thought that a lot of cricket has already taken place and that people at the ground already know what's happened is killing me!

I have an idea!

How about PP sponsors someone to go around and cover the domestic games?

:D

I can't wait for the day when this graceful epitome of poetic simplicity decides to publish novel or some abstract piece of writing on how he has taken the game of cricket by storm, but more importantly, beauty, styling, and fashion tips on how he has taken such good care of his general face-like region.

I'd give that book a thorough read.

DM said:
I have an idea!

How about PP sponsors someone to go around and cover the domestic games?

:D
And by cover, I mean not only go with a laptop to the ground and upload score updates onto a thread on Pakpassion.net, but have a few well-placed high quality video display cameras and sound equipment around the ground, covering the match at various angles, employ personnel who will proceed to converse about, and around, the competition before them, have it all audio-visually transmitted via a satellite in geo-orbit above earth to some reputable corporation that has the facilities to broadcast the picture and sound material, again via satellite and back down to earth ultimately to a receiving concave plate-like apparatus lying modestly on the brickwork of people's homes and which relays the billions of I/O signals to a glassed transducer device that can exhibit this barrage of digital data into various hues in the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum that the human retina and mammalian brain can interpret as a signal of familiar representations.

Easa said:
I can't wait for the day when this graceful epitome of poetic simplicity decides to publish novel or some abstract piece of writing on how he has taken the game of cricket by storm, but more importantly, beauty, styling, and fashion tips on how he has taken such good care of his general face-like region.

I'd give that book a thorough read.
It'd be a rollicking read because beneath the bourgeois formality, our dentally-gapped father-mother hybrid is a boisterous and carefree spirit but be prudent my brother! For he has a mean back surface of the hand-esque district that he will have no hesitation in meting out in the noble pursuit of discipline and social justice. I have it on good faith that it is quite meaty to the senses.

Lala gets 4 wickets!1

Great bowling from the beast!

Omar Malik said:
Any latest updates yet, guys?!
No unfortunately Omar, CricDB is the best we have it seems and it bestows its updates rather frugally. You and I will be long deceased before we find out what happens brother.

Good to see Akhtar pick up 4 wkts in 2nd innings, and most of them batsmen we know:
- Mohammad Hafeez
- Umar Akmal
- Kamran Akmal(wk)
- Shoaib Malik(c)

Shoaib Akhtar 10-7-14-4

7 maidens out of 10 :O

Great bowling from Akhtar!!

Last edited:
Come on guys lets keep Afridi's scores and comments to the proper thread don't ruin this one. Coming back to the game here is the updated scores after day 3:

Punjab 2nd innings 144/10 with Shoaib taking 4 wkts, Rao and Sohail taking 3.

Federal Areas 2nd innings: 127/4 with Talha taking 3 wkts

Good game can go either way and remember Bazid might not bat due to injury so FA have 110 more to get with maybe only 5 wkts left.

Point of note (not sure it was posted before):
Jamal Anwar making his first-class debut and grabs a 10-catch haul

Lahoria said:
Come on guys lets keep Afridi's scores and comments to the proper thread don't ruin this one. Coming back to the game here is the updated scores after day 3:

Ive removed those posts and put them in 'their' thread!

These games seem quite competitive.

There hasn't been a really outstanding performance in that a player really pushes his way into the limelight, say like Sohail Khan did last season.

Many good to very good performance - but nothing stand out for the fringe players to force themselves in the WI games.

Was hoping to see how Arafat was doing as he has impressed in the last year but nothing so far.

dblock said:
These games seem quite competitive.

There hasn't been a really outstanding performance in that a player really pushes his way into the limelight, say like Sohail Khan did last season.

Many good to very good performance - but nothing stand out for the fringe players to force themselves in the WI games.

Was hoping to see how Arafat was doing as he has impressed in the last year but nothing so far.

yes, very intresting tournament so far. Lots of tense games. Little sad that sohail khan & yasir arafat havent performed. Good to see shoaib getting wicket. Sarfaraz is batting well. Umar amin have started well, lets hope he continues to shine.

Diamond Cricket Club is a heaven for fast bowlers so Arafat's failure seems very strange and his chances of making the WI series are pretty much gone. Sohail has been solid and Sarfraz has shown that he has improved his batting quite a bit.

lollol said:
Good to see Akhtar pick up 4 wkts in 2nd innings, and most of them batsmen we know:
- Mohammad Hafeez
- Umar Akmal
- Kamran Akmal(wk)
- Shoaib Malik(c)

Shoaib Akhtar 10-7-14-4

7 maidens out of 10 :O

aa gaya han te chah gaya han Thaa kar ke

great going i m very happy for akhtar
his fitness and form is very crucial for pakistan

sehsan said:
yes, very intresting tournament so far. Lots of tense games. Little sad that sohail khan & yasir arafat havent performed. Good to see shoaib getting wicket. Sarfaraz is batting well. Umar amin have started well, lets hope he continues to shine.

Sohail Khan has been consistent if not spectacular, nowhere near as good as the figures as last season, but I guess batsmen have formed plans for him - so it's a good challenge.

Yasir Arafat should have done better but I think he plays too much cricket for him to be genuine contender, he opens the bowling for Kent week after week and now he is back in Pakistan domestic cricket probably bowling within himself rather than as a strike bowler.

Imran Ali figures look good, Talha a few good spells but they both need consistent high level displays.

Anwar Ali hasn't impressed as much as would like so far, particularly in light of Aquib Javed saying he would put him in the side for the India series and the less said about Wahab Riaz the better - never thought he was that good and since the pasting he took against India in the Asia Cup he hasn't looked the same.

Good to see Akhtar among the wicket takers and with figures like 4 for 14 off 10 overs and 7 of those being maidens! It's good that he's doing some work out there and getting some wickets and more importantly getting match practice! Hope he can continue on taking wickets in this tourny and get alot fitter for the Indian series in Jan as we all want to see a fit and roaring Akhtar back in the squad - InshahAllah!

Imran Ali and Mohammad Talha's figures also look good! Have heard alot on here about Talha and how tall and a good prospect etc; I really hope he can develop into one and keeps on improving his game as we really need hardworkers like Umar Gul in our team who always want to improve and do their best for their team and nation - InshahAllah

Also I was just having a look at Imran Ali's profile on cricinfo and he seems to have a decent FC record with 134 wickets from 37 matches with an avg of 24.51 and he's 28 years old! So probably could be given a chance to see how he'd do or something....Well don't know what you guys would reckon....?!

Rao also has a avg of ~24 in FC cricket.

Samiullah also has a average around 24. And also Tahira Mugal (?) the guy now playing in ICL, and Azhar Mahmood, Shahid Nazir, Rana, so many PAK bowlers have a avg around 20-24 :p

It just shows we dont care about batting, very poor standards of batting in domestic cricket. A shame really

lollol said:

Samiullah also has a average around 24. And also Tahira Mugal (?) the guy now playing in ICL, and Azhar Mahmood, Shahid Nazir, Rana, so many PAK bowlers have a avg around 20-24 :p

It just shows we dont care about batting, very poor standards of batting in domestic cricket. A shame really

Actually your quite right! Bowling has always been our strong side but it's the BATTING that's been the concern always! I really hope that some new talent is found and nurtured in the right mould and right direction! InshahAllah!

For domestic cricket this match is like a heavy weight boxing match with some highly talented fast bowlers who are trying to knock the batsman's head off.

lollol said:

Q-e- Azam trophy has a poor standard but this pentangular stuff is the real deal.
thank you DNA!

really happy to see Akhtar getting his form back but i know that he is not yet fully back into full form, Insh'Allah he can blast away the Windies

it looks like Akhtar has finally managed to get himself focused and determined...that can only be good for Pakistan and not so good for the other cricketing nations

also with Arafat, i feel he must be fatigued, playing english county cricket day in, day out, he must be mentally and physically tired. i just hope that the selectors give him a well deserved chance for the Windies tour

BTW why is Malik batting at # 7 in domestic match especially when his side was in a bit of trouble and needed a captain's innings?

PlanetPakistan said:
BTW why is Malik batting at # 7 in domestic match especially when his side was in a bit of trouble and needed a captain's innings?

because he knew he will have tough time against shoaib and tanvir where the pitch was helping bowlers.

PlanetPakistan said:
...he still failed.

atleast he tried to hide :). He is a fantastic oneday batsman, but should not be no where close to test team as for now. I am also surprised not to see Adnan raza in XI. Its bizzare decison by malik. For some reason he gives preference to mansoor.

sehsan said:
atleast he tried to hide :). He is a fantastic oneday batsman, but should not be no where close to test team as for now. I am also surprised not to see Adnan raza in XI. Its bizzare decison by malik. For some reason he gives preference to mansoor.
As well as preference of Hafeez over Jamshed. Hafeez is the epitome of mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back