Good cricket ball not bat breaker?

usynn

Debutant
Runs
hi there guys, i'm after a good cricket ball thats not a bat breaker i can buy in the UK? I bought a GM octane 404 and i bought two cheap X-Grade balls for £4 each and it made a lot of cracks in my bat and chipped a huge chunk of wood out too so i'm guessing those balls are bat breakers.

could someone provide a list of good cricket balls that are not too expensive? anything below £15 is welcome

thanks

If you are playing with a high end expensive bat then stay away from cheap stuff but then you will also have to convince the match organizers to invest in a high quality ball - which is not always easy. £50.00 easily for a high end ball.

If you are practicing in nets then definitely don't expose your high end bat to old and hardened rocks that will surely damage the bats. Get an "alcheapo" in the same weight as your original bat and go fearlessly against the bowlers in nets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a grade 1 bat that's brand new just being knocked in by the company? I thought when you are playing in the bat you want to face an old and soft leather ball?

Also when I'm practising in the nets, do I need a £50 ball for my grade 1 bat? I've been looking at the ca super test and Jason Mallet said it's a very good ball? It's only £15

I've got a grade 1 bat that's brand new just being knocked in by the company? I thought when you are playing in the bat you want to face an old and soft leather ball?

Also when I'm practising in the nets, do I need a £50 ball for my grade 1 bat? I've been looking at the ca super test and Jason Mallet said it's a very good ball? It's only £15

Even the Ca Super Test is very hard. I spent a lot of time thus year looking for a cheap alternative to the kookaburra balls and realise now that they just don't exist. All the cheap balls are rocks and will do damage to quality cricket bats

Even the Ca Super Test is very hard. I spent a lot of time thus year looking for a cheap alternative to the kookaburra balls and realise now that they just don't exist. All the cheap balls are rocks and will do damage to quality cricket bats

so what is a mid range decent kookaburra ball to use with a grade 1?

The tuff pitch or special test however these are out both out of your budget.

the special test is only £16 from cricket direct. thats ok. i just wanted to ask, for net practise would it be okay if i used a match weight incrediball? i can get more of them that way as they're only £4.99 each

I would say for that price they will not be very bat friendly. Do yourself a favour and don't skimp out on the balls because you will regret it. Stick with the kookaburras as they are Australia's finest

I would say for that price they will not be very bat friendly. Do yourself a favour and don't skimp out on the balls because you will regret it. Stick with the kookaburras as they are Australia's finest

incrediballs aren't leather but are made out of pvc. those won't damage the balls right? i've seen a few video on youtube the batsmen are using pvc balls.

Avoid all Asian brands such as CA, ihsan etc they are proper bat breakers.

If you have an eBay account there are currently a box of 6 dukes (best quality balls) on auction which retail for around £20-23 per ball on this particular model and will most likely sell for a lot less so if you have an eBay account I would bid on these.

If you have an eBay account there are currently a box of 6 dukes (best quality balls) on auction which retail for around £20-23 per ball on this particular model and will most likely sell for a lot less so if you have an eBay account I would bid on these.

i've been speaking to jason mellet on twitter and he recommended the CA ball as being very good. is the wrong? lol

i've been speaking to jason mellet on twitter and he recommended the CA ball as being very good. is the wrong? lol

What ball is it? The CA balls I have seen have all been terrible and you might as well throw bricks at your bat.

Look for English branded balls such as readers, Dukes, tiflex etc these balls are what they use in international, county and league cricket and are very good.

Can you send me a link of the ball you have been recommended.

What ball is it? The CA balls I have seen have all been terrible and you might as well throw bricks at your bat.

Look for English branded balls such as readers, Dukes, tiflex etc these balls are what they use in international, county and league cricket and are very good.

Can you send me a link of the ball you have been recommended.

he was talking about the CA Super Test

Jason is wrong

he was talking about the CA Super Test

I have got 2 of the Ca super test balls in my bag. One if them is brand new and will never be used. I too took Jason's advice. These balls are 100% bat breakers. They are extremely hard and I strongly recommend you stay away from these. What I also found with these was that the laquer coating is very thick and it cracks all over.

Yep, can't go wrong with Duke balls. I rate them higher than Kookaburra. Matter of fact, even cricket Australia is moving away from Kooks and looking into Duke balls.

yeah looks like i'm going to buy dukes! between £10-20 is okay? any balls above 20 is really a bit high for me though! :-( need to gradute and get a job soon!

yeah looks like i'm going to buy dukes! between £10-20 is okay? any balls above 20 is really a bit high for me though! :-( need to gradute and get a job soon!

If you have an eBay account buy these they will most likely sell for around £45-60 which will work out at £8-12 a ball and even if they go a little higher they are still within your budget.

http://bit.ly/PthST1

So something like this is a bat breaker ?
http://m.sportsdirect.com/mt/www.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-county-cricket-ball-852056

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Usually I would say yes but it is kind of hard to tell without looking at ball itself which you could easily identify when seeing it in person but normally all balls Sports direct have are generally bad for good bats.

Even still at 11.99 you can get the very good Readers Club Match A ball which is mid level ball.

Hi, I can provide you ST Test International balls made from Australian leather. These balls are of the same quality used for 4 day games.

Do let me know the quantity and I will quote the price.

SG Test balls are used for test matches in India. Price is Inr 1299 (approx 13 GBP). If you can get hold of them, they would be great.

Hi, I can provide you ST Test International balls made from Australian leather. These balls are of the same quality used for 4 day games.

Do let me know the quantity and I will quote the price.

hey, whats the inside cork like and how many layers are there. also is the leather on the outside soft? i need about 5-10 for personal training with friends

A brand new and genuine Grade 1 bat (UK Made) could start from £100.00 (Shark Cricket UK) up to £700 + (Signature by James at L&V or some Screaming Cats by Mr. Millichamp).
So depending upon what's the cost of your "Grade 1" bat and how much of a financial hit you can take if the bat breaks, you can take a decision to even take your bat to nets before worrying about the hard balls.
If you REALLY love your bat or if its REALLY a high priced craftsmanship then the best option is to buy an "Alcheapo" - Kashmir Willow or a Used G2 with the same sweet spot location and ideally a slightly higher in weight from your G1 bat and practice with it in the nets. Practicing with a heavier bat in nets helps in developing stronger muscles and wrists, and also increases stamina so you can go longer in the real match. Many intl cricketers use totally separate bats for practice and avoid taking their match bats to nets.

Last edited:
A brand new and genuine Grade 1 bat (UK Made) could start from £100.00 (Shark Cricket UK) up to £700 + (Signature by James at L&V or some Screaming Cats by Mr. Millichamp).
So depending upon what's the cost of your "Grade 1" bat and how much of a financial hit you can take if the bat breaks, you can take a decision to even take your bat to nets before worrying about the hard balls.
If you REALLY love your bat or if its REALLY a high priced craftsmanship then the best option is to buy an "Alcheapo" - Kashmir Willow or a Used G2 with the same sweet spot location and ideally a slightly higher in weight from your G1 bat and practice with it in the nets. Practicing with a heavier bat in nets helps in developing stronger muscles and wrists, and also increases stamina so you can go longer in the real match. Many intl cricketers use totally separate bats for practice and avoid taking their match bats to nets.

Agreed for the most part however the match bat would require some playing in but with the quality of the balls being used in nets it's probably just better to play it in a match.

I bat lower down the order so ball isn't as hard so that is an advantage but if you bat in top order you might have an issue.

Back