Heeramandi: The Diamond Bazaar - The Netflix show

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Netflix’s ‘Heeramandi’ is ready to take us on a wild ride into the colorful and lively world of Lahore’s famous red-light district. Packed with a rich cultural backdrop, fascinating characters, and gripping stories, this series is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.

The series premiered on May 1 and has been airing since then

Have a look at what is coming in this much-hyped series:

Watched it. First 3-4 episodes are good but the title of series should be 'Azadi e Hind' not Heeramandi.

Sad to see that the best Indians can come up with in terms of Muslim achievements is Heeramandi

Think Pakistan should counter with our own version

Sabzimandi
Lol, I highly recommend Maidaan which is the real story Syed Abdul Rahim i would say that’s one of the best.

Once it comes on streaming i would definitely open a thread

I despise the glorification of prostitution. No one can see the tears of these ladies who are forced in to this trade. Such nonsense is full of sexism demeaning women altogether as being sexual objects of desire. They are someone's sisters, daughters and could be mothers and wives too. No lady no matter from where would ever willingly sell herself. As if there is absolutely no prostitution in India or among the Hindu community. Even go to Dubai to see most ladies selling themselves are Indian women. Some years back there was a big article on it in the "India Today" magazine. Thankfully I left everything Indian a long time back.

Got through about three quarters of the first episode before I got bored and switched it off. The acting was weird and unconvincing, like they had no idea how to play the roles. Looked like a trash Bollywood production, which it probably was to be fair.

Sad to see that the best Indians can come up with in terms of Muslim achievements is Heeramandi

Think Pakistan should counter with our own version

Sabzimandi
A lot of these Netflix shows are pro-women which show the troubles of Indian women. Many of these shows are pretty daring. Some of the dialogues are pretty shocking for conservative audience.

Indian society is evolving fast.

Got through about three quarters of the first episode before I got bored and switched it off. The acting was weird and unconvincing, like they had no idea how to play the roles. Looked like a trash Bollywood production, which it probably was to be fair.

To be honest, putting aside the subject matter, this was a very slick production - the costumes etc - all well put together.

A lot of these Netflix shows are pro-women which show the troubles of Indian women. Many of these shows are pretty daring. Some of the dialogues are pretty shocking for conservative audience.

Indian society is evolving fast.

That was the case for several years pre-pandemic. I've read that the Modi government is bringing in a censor code to regulate all these daring productions released only on the web. Spoilsports.

That was the case for several years pre-pandemic. I've read that the Modi government is bringing in a censor code to regulate all these daring productions released only on the web. Spoilsports.
Even with censorship, enough will escape from the scissors. Audience will win out in the end.

To be honest, putting aside the subject matter, this was a very slick production - the costumes etc - all well put together.

Yes it looked like they spent a lot of money on it, was very glamorous, but that is why I specifically criticised the other parts such as acting, dialogue etc, it all looked very stilted and I couldn't get any real feeling from it. There again, I gave up before even one episode, maybe it got better. Lacked conviction from what I saw.

Best movie right now on netflix is Laapata Ladies, very well done Indian rural story comedy music acting wipes the floor with Animal and Heeramandi.

Highly recommend that, one can say anything but Amir definitely is an awesome producer.

Best movie right now on netflix is Laapata Ladies, very well done Indian rural story comedy music acting wipes the floor with Animal and Heeramandi.

Highly recommend that, one can say anything but Amir definitely is an awesome producer.
Loved Laapata ladies, such a great movie with great acting! And Aamir always had a great script sense. I am also hearing good things about Madgaon Express on Prime.

Heeramandi is typical SLB- all pizzazz but no substance beneath. I saw one episode and moved on.

Loved Laapata ladies, such a great movie with great acting! And Aamir always had a great script sense. I am also hearing good things about Madgaon Express on Prime.

Heeramandi is typical SLB- all pizzazz but no substance beneath. I saw one episode and moved on.
SLB has lot of talent but nothing comes out, his best are Khamoshi, Black but he screws up with these lavish sets.

This time he screwed up with the cast as well..

Haven’t seen Madgaon

Even with censorship, enough will escape from the scissors. Audience will win out in the end.

It doesn't escape though .. not in the ultra hindutva environment fostered by BJP. Netflix and Amazon don't make any series that has even mild religious themes, they've been privately warned. Apart from heavy swearing and maybe a bit more sexuality, I don't see how any of these web shows are really 'daring'.

It doesn't escape though .. not in the ultra hindutva environment fostered by BJP. Netflix and Amazon don't make any series that has even mild religious themes, they've been privately warned. Apart from heavy swearing and maybe a bit more sexuality, I don't see how any of these web shows are really 'daring'.
It seems you are implying Censor board was brought in by BJP?
Who started this nonsense of banning movies and censoring?
I would say current BJP ultra Hindutva government is much more liberal than the time entire Gandhi clans have ruled..

“The Cinematograph Act 1952 outlines a strict certification process for commercial films shown in public venues. Films screened in cinemas and on television may only be publicly exhibited in India after certification by the board and edited.”
———
I agree that censor board shouldn’t be a thing only rating board should be there.

But this happened due to ultra anti-Hindutva approach by Congress for years.

It seems you are implying Censor board was brought in by BJP?
Who started this nonsense of banning movies and censoring?
I would say current BJP ultra Hindutva government is much more liberal than the time entire Gandhi clans have ruled..

“The Cinematograph Act 1952 outlines a strict certification process for commercial films shown in public venues. Films screened in cinemas and on television may only be publicly exhibited in India after certification by the board and edited.”
———
I agree that censor board shouldn’t be a thing only rating board should be there.

But this happened due to ultra anti-Hindutva approach by Congress for years.

I was talking about streaming shows i.e web content. The Censor Board doesn't have any power over content on the internet. The BJP are trying to change that and bring in a code. Or maybe they already did. I haven't checked.

But I agree with you that Congress has historically had a pathetic record on cinema/books censorship. They were regressive. Not sure why you think the BJP is better though.

I think BOL (film) did a good job when they showed Heeramandi and the galis of Lahore.

I agree, another brilliant production from Aamir Khan.

I think BOL (film) did a good job when they showed Heeramandi and the galis of Lahore.
Major sahab where were u from last few days?

yeah they made a documentary in which they shown us the actual hertitage which we never seen before.

Back