"Hopefully we see kind of a lot more of that Babar Azam, rather than the one that feels that he has to be contributing all the time": Gary Kirsten

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Newly appointed Pakistan white-ball Head Coach Gary Kirsten speaking in an interview:

How did his job offer come about?

"I got a phone call whilst I was at the IPL and I think they asked whether I was interested and you know as I'm always interested in an International Job, and think it's always just a massive privilege to be coaching in that space"

"I haven't done an international job since South Africa which was towards the end of 2013, my kids are a little bit older now which makes it slightly easier to travel, and to work with a with an international team of the likes of Pakistan was very appealing to me"

How exciting is it to coach Pakistan and potentially take them to winning the World Cup title?

"Everyone always talks about watching some of these players play and on any given day and you kind of get mesmerized by their abilities but the short time I've had in connection remotely with the team, you know one can pick up very quickly what the potential blockages are and I guess it's my role as a coach to assist in unlocking the natural ability that they have"

"Collectively I think each guy individually does what they do and sometimes very well and sometimes not so well like any cricket player but I think how can you get the group to fly in formation and get the team operating at its optimum collectively and how do you get a team environment to get these bunch of individuals to thrive, that's particularly exciting for me to do something of that"

"It's always great working in an environment where you've got good players, I've had the good fortune just with within the IPL to see that but like any team environment you're trying to get the momentum up and get the team to thrive under your watch"

About volatility and unpredictability of the Pakistan team on the field/factions battling for power etc. and coaches can become victims of that - Did he ever speak to the Late Bob Woolmer about this?

"I didn't, but I think I've been around the coaching circuit enough to know that pretty much in any team environment that's not winning you will get factions so the fact that it could be you it could be highlighted even more in in certain cultures and environments absolutely and one appreciates that"

"One thing about being a coach of over 20 years now is that you get a little bit more thick skin and that's the one thing I did learn from Bob (Woolmer) by the way, he had a really thick skin by the end of his coaching career and I think you learned to take the punches and roll with the punches I suppose in many ways but you know also you're just trying to get out there and do as best a job you can accepting the fact that when the team's not doing well there's always going to be a whole bunch of criticism but I think my learnings over my three years with India was that there are some battles that you're just absolutely not going to win and then you just focus on the ones that you can win and hopefully that's enough for the team to do really well"

"Secondly as well it's really important that you build relationships upwards in coaching, it's not only about your peers and the team and the players and your coaches but that you work well with people who are working within the confines of the board and hopefully build a decent relationship so that they buy-in to your thinking as well"

Thoughts on the India Pakistan game in New York?

"What a privilege what an absolute privilege I can't wait that match hopefully we put up a good show, but I mean that is as good as Cricket can offer, and also in New York as you mentioned, there seems to be talk of a massive crowd already which is going to be great fun and just to be involved in that is going to be a real privilege"

Thoughts on the negative criticism of Babar Azam, has he had a chat with Babar?

"I have (had a chat) and as you are and just getting to know the players remotely a little bit obviously been more in touch with Azhar Mahmood who's the interim coach at the moment and Wahab Riaz who is on the management there and part of the selection (committee) but, I've been in touch with Babar and I agree with you he's done remarkably well as a cricketer and sort of almost carries a lot of the weight of that team on his shoulders but certainly reading between the lines what we would try to do as a coaching staff is to lift that a little bit and to realize that he's just one of the whole group of players and that he can just free himself up to play with his natural talent which we certainly saw in the last game yesterday"

"He played an outstanding innings and hopefully we see kind of a lot more of that Babar Azam rather than the one that feels that he has to be contributing all the time to a team, that's not fair on any player"

"I think if we can unlock that and feel like there there's big group of guys that can make match winning contributions especially in T20 cricket, that'll take a lot of pressure off him"

"I think he's happy to be back as Captain I'm looking forward to working in that relationship with Captain as coach"

He is emphasising the need to focus on the battles that can be won, rather than dwelling on criticism or conflicts that are beyond control, so I think he is showing his full support to Babar Azam as the white ball captain.

“and sort of almost carries a lot of the weight of that team on his shoulders but certainly reading between the lines what we would try to do as a coaching staff is to lift that a little bit and to realize that he's just one of the whole group of players and that he can just free himself up to play with his natural talent which we certainly saw in the last game yesterday"

This is a very important point. I hope Kirsten would make him realize that he alone isn’t responsible of putting up scores on the board. There are other batsmen in the team as well. Babar needs to bat freely and not worry about batting till the 20th over all the time.

I think for that then he needs to shift the burden of captaincy on Rizwan.

“and sort of almost carries a lot of the weight of that team on his shoulders but certainly reading between the lines what we would try to do as a coaching staff is to lift that a little bit and to realize that he's just one of the whole group of players and that he can just free himself up to play with his natural talent which we certainly saw in the last game yesterday"

This is a very important point. I hope Kirsten would make him realize that he alone isn’t responsible of putting up scores on the board. There are other batsmen in the team as well. Babar needs to bat freely and not worry about batting till the 20th over all the time.
That is the most important point and basically the reason why we tend to leave runs out there when setting a target.

I've been in touch with Babar and I agree with you he's done remarkably well as a cricketer and sort of almost carries a lot of the weight of that team on his shoulders but certainly reading between the lines what we would try to do as a coaching staff is to lift that a little bit and to realize that he's just one of the whole group of players and that he can just free himself up to play with his natural talent which we certainly saw in the last game yesterday"

great stuff by kirsten

if he can make babar realise that he doesn't need play risk free cricket as an accumulator and statpad till the 15th over at a snail pace and there are other 9 players to come after him that would be a big step towards improvement for pakistan cricket

none of the past pak coach did ever mention such a statement that made a lot of sense. Pretty sure kirsten can mentally help babar overcome that burden and let him play the natural game

"One thing about being a coach of over 20 years now is that you get a little bit more thick skin and that's the one thing I did learn from Bob (Woolmer) by the way, he had a really thick skin by the end of his coaching career and I think you learned to take the punches and roll with the punches
He is the prodigy of late Bob Woolmer but hopefully he would finish the Bob's unfinished story with a title for PCT.

great stuff by kirsten

if he can make babar realise that he doesn't need play risk free cricket as an accumulator and statpad till the 15th over at a snail pace and there are other 9 players to come after him that would be a big step towards improvement for pakistan cricket
Won't happen as it'll mean Bobby must sacrifice his avg and sr and risk his milestones.

More milestones = more league and higher bids = better future for pcb managerial positions

Very well said by Kirsten.

Babar has a Messiah complex. Rizwan has it too. They need to realize that the rest of the wickets are just as equal and that the whole responsibility to bat the 20 overs doesn't rely on them.

Play with a little less tension and more aggression.

Won't happen as it'll mean Bobby must sacrifice his avg and sr and risk his milestones.

More milestones = more league and higher bids = better future for pcb managerial positions
No point hiring coaches like Gary kirsten and wasting money then

great stuff by kirsten

Babar already knows that. He needs to get his 50 before the team.

Sachin carried the Indian batting on his shoulders for close to a decade during the 90's.
Babar and Rizwan have been doing a similar job for 4-5 years now for Pakistan.
Gary Kirsten must try and develop new players to shoulder the responsibility, rest will take care of itself

Sachin carried the Indian batting on his shoulders for close to a decade during the 90's.
Gary Kirsten must try and develop new players to shoulder the responsibility, rest will take care of itself
Babar and Rizwan have been carrying a side that was ranked number 1 to Number 7?

The side was built to make these two look good. This is the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atleast try to leave Sachin out of this? Who's family did he hurt to be compared to 2 clowns?

Reading between the lines he’s basically saying babar should stop concentrating on stat padding and play more freely.

I think behind the scenes many have tried, but babar seems a bit of a manchild and in just waiting for the next toy that comes booming out of his pram

Babar and Rizwan have been carrying a side that was ranked number 1 to Number 7?

The side was built to make these two look good. This is the result.
Babar contributed heavily in Pakistan becoming no. 1 as an opener and 1 down.
He was actually the main batsman.
It was possible only after we got rid Sharjeel Nasir Shahzad etc

Babar contributed heavily in Pakistan becoming no. 1 as an opener and 1 down.
He was actually the main batsman.
It was possible only after we got rid Sharjeel Nasir Shahzad etc
Number 1 in what? Pakistan are ranked 7.

Number 1 in what? Pakistan are ranked 7.
This is where the zid of these fans is just mind blowing. They are still puffing their chest about babar and rizwan when we are languishing at no7!

Give it up. The babar and rizwan up the order experiment is done. Move on. Everyone moves on, life moves on, kids move on, but we’re still stuck in babar rizwan mode.

Our cricket is so stale

This is where the zid of these fans is just mind blowing. They are still puffing their chest about babar and rizwan when we are languishing at no7!

Give it up. The babar and rizwan up the order experiment is done. Move on. Everyone moves on, life moves on, kids move on, but we’re still stuck in babar rizwan mode.

Our cricket is so stale
They don’t have to give it up. They can continue only for the smackdown they will be served and made to look like the greatest hypocrites on earth!

WOW now we are comparing SRT to these 2?
Do you even know how Sachin carried the Indian batting line up? Forget white ball cricket and SR's. Did Saching lose random TEST matches at HOME vs SENA countries?

Reading between the lines he’s basically saying babar should stop concentrating on stat padding and play more freely.
You have to be fair and question this guy with his work with GT this year. Why did he allow Gill to play in his initial statspadding approach in the IPL whilst others where banging 80-100 runs in the powerplay?

I’m so happy GT, LSG and CSK didn’t reach the play offs of the IPL. They were playing outdated powerplay cricket such as Gill, Gaikwad, Rahane and KL Rahul as openers.

RCB initially had lost the plot but once they decided their approach isn’t good enough, they changed and were rewarded. Look at how Kohli unlocked a new level to his batting, realising it’s the Travis Heads, Fraser McGurks, Narines and Salts that are the ones setting the right tone

Our cricket is so stale
Bro we're not even no 7 logically.

We're lower. Trust me if the actual ranking weren't based on faulty points, we'd be lower. We are not a no 7 team. Current Afghanistan is better then us, west Indies is debatable but their probs a bit superior as well.

Number 1 under Sarfraz
Babar did, he had fakhar, Haris sohail, Hafeez, malik etc players bat around him.

Theirs a difference when you have rizwan, shadab, Chacha and these fake munafiqs bat around you and you're expected to be the brunt force.

I hope Gary is acknowledging what the real ones know here that Babar is a stat padder who plays for himself and not the team.

Leeds- White ball head coach Gary Kirsten has joined the Pakistan cricket team. The team management and captain Babar Azam welcomed Kirsten. Senior manager Wahab Riaz presented Kirsten with the team's training shirt.

Kirsten will oversee the team's practice sessions from Monday. The Pakistan team will practice from nine in the morning to twelve noon according to local time. The team will then resume practice from half past one in the afternoon to the half past four o'clock.

The first T20 between Pakistan and England will be played in Headingley, Leeds on May 22nd.

Last edited:
I like this meet and greet.

Welcome to coaching the Pakistan team, Gary bhai.

Leeds- White ball head coach Gary Kirsten has joined the Pakistan cricket team. The team management and captain Babar Azam welcomed Kirsten. Senior manager Wahab Riaz presented Kirsten with the team's training shirt.

Kirsten will oversee the team's practice sessions from Monday. The Pakistan team will practice from nine in the morning to twelve noon according to local time. The team will then resume practice from half past one in the afternoon to the half past four o'clock.

The first T20 between Pakistan and England will be played in Headingley, Leeds on May 22nd.

Will he also join Pakistan Team at home?

Leeds: Pakistan cricket team's white ball head coach, Gary Kirsten, met with the players and management before the team practice.

The players welcomed Gary Kirsten, who joined the team on Sunday.

The Pakistan cricket team practiced under the supervision of Gary Kirsten.

The Pakistan team will play their first T20 against England on Wednesday at Headingley.

View attachment YouCut_20240520_155739028.mp4

Leeds: Pakistan cricket team's white ball head coach, Gary Kirsten, met with the players and management before the team practice.

The players welcomed Gary Kirsten, who joined the team on Sunday.

The Pakistan cricket team practiced under the supervision of Gary Kirsten.

The Pakistan team will play their first T20 against England on Wednesday at Headingley.

View attachment 143951
He seems to be a big fan of Shaheen Shah Afridi

Hope can maken fitness important. Captain fantastic himself is carrying a tummy around!

OpQnWe8.png

Does any other team let the social edia guy upload clips of team meetings? This is ridiculous.

LOL
They are lazy. Babar regressed due to his lack of work ethic. All you see is them eating oily and unhealthy food where ever they go. Always more seem like tourists.
everybody has always talked about Babar’s work ethics. You can’t succeed in the international cricket like Babar did if you don’t have work ethics. My assumption is obviously he is not watching what he eats, never have been but with age his metabolism is slowing down and he is not exercising enough to remain fit.

everybody has always talked about Babar’s work ethics. You can’t succeed in the international cricket like Babar did if you don’t have work ethics. My assumption is obviously he is not watching what he eats, never have been but with age his metabolism is slowing down and he is not exercising enough to remain fit.
He should have achieved way more then he did. What has he actually achieved apart from stat padding?

Last 3 years he has gone from bad to worse. Exposed in TEST cricket and found wanting in ICC events.

He should have achieved way more then he did. What has he actually achieved apart from stat padding?

Last 3 years he has gone from bad to worse. Exposed in TEST cricket and found wanting in ICC events.
Even for all the stats padding you need to have work ethics. You can’t have an average of 58 in ODI with SR of 90,
With 19 hundreds, a test average of 45 and a T20 average of 40 and say he achieved nothing. he averaged 68 in 2019 WC and was the highest scorer in 2021 WC. He definitely underperformed in 2022 WC and 2023. He should have achieved more so far, but to say he hasn’t achieved anything is an understatement as well.

Even for all the stats padding you need to have work ethics. You can’t have an average of 58 in ODI with SR of 90,
With 19 hundreds, a test average of 45 and a T20 average of 40 and say he achieved nothing. he averaged 68 in 2019 WC and was the highest scorer in 2021 WC. He definitely underperformed in 2022 WC and 2023. He should have achieved more so far, but to say he hasn’t achieved anything is an understatement as well.
Like I said last 3 years he has been on a downfall. In Test cricket he is average at best. Plays on absolute roads. We all have seen the pics and videos of him eating all type of food.

Like I said last 3 years he has been on a downfall. In Test cricket he is average at best. Plays on absolute roads. We all have seen the pics and videos of him eating all type of food.
He averaged over 85 in 2022. 2023 was a bad year for him but still averaged 46.

You can keep throwing all the numbers. Fact is this guy as Captain is losing TEST series at home for fun. Fact is for all his numbers he failed in back to back WCs. No one cares about the so called JAMODIS.

His lack of focus on fitness already shows his pathetic mindset.

You can keep throwing all the numbers. Fact is this guy as Captain is losing TEST series at home for fun. Fact is for all his numbers he failed in back to back WCs. No one cares about the so called JAMODIS.

His lack of focus on fitness already shows his pathetic mindset.
Well Pakistan hasn’t won any World Cup since 1992. Does that mean Saeed inzi, Yousuf, etc achieved nothing since they scored in JAMODIs? Like I said earlier he should have done more but to say he has done nothing is a big understatement.

If you play for the average, you are an average player. It does make sense when someone is not scoring runs with a strike rate of at least 150 which is a norm in modern day T20 cricket.

View attachment 143956
how does that benefit pakistan cricket?
How many tournaments has he won for pakistan after all that statpadding? Heck name me 1 single series he won for pakistan angainst any top team away from home. All he's done itms statpad without taking situation in concentration

Well Pakistan hasn’t won any World Cup since 1992. Does that mean Saeed inzi, Yousuf, etc achieved nothing since they scored in JAMODIs? Like I said earlier he should have done more but to say he has done nothing is a big understatement.
Sarfaraz won CT17 😀

Or does that don't count because its sarfaraz?

View attachment 143956

how does that benefit pakistan cricket?
How many tournaments has he won for pakistan after all that statpadding? Heck name me 1 single series he won for pakistan angainst any top team away from home. All he's done itms statpad without taking situation in concentration
Pakistan hasn’t won any wc since 1992, that means Pakistan should have lost all the matches?
Reality is Babar should have done more, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t done anything. As simple as that. With all the stats he has, doesn’t mean, he has achieved nothing. There are many players in the world who hasnt won a World Cup for their team, doesn’t mean they have achieved nothing.

If you play for the average, you are an average player. It does make sense when someone is not scoring runs with a strike rate of at least 150 which is a norm in modern day T20 cricket.
To maintain an average of 58 with a SR of 89, you need a lot of things. There are not that many players in the history who have done that.

if you want to talk about averages without taking anything in to context then Babar has average of 56 and strike rate of 88 in odis minus dhoni and de silva because they played in a different era

Babar is only good as KL rahul, Michael Lumb and van der Dussen

don.png

test average is not bad as modern day cricket isn't involved but still could be better

and in t20 its funny you've not mentioned the strike rates when then whole format is based on strike rate.
in t20 he's only good as associate players

t20.png

Babar and his t20 game is pretty old-school now. Needs to score runs at a higher rate and should just forget about being an anchor. I hope he plays at a higher rate in this world cup because that is what the team and modern cricket require now. averages just don't matter.

England series is a great test for him to show some glimpses of what he should be doing.

What are Haris Sohail's credentials as far as T20is are concrened? or just T20s for heaven's sake. He can't even get himself into a PSL team and people here talking about national team.
Babar did, he had fakhar, Haris sohail, Hafeez, malik etc players bat around him.

Theirs a difference when you have rizwan, shadab, Chacha and these fake munafiqs bat around you and you're expected to be the brunt force.

What are Haris Sohail's credentials as far as T20is are concrened? or just T20s for heaven's sake. He can't even get himself into a PSL team and people here talking about national team.
He can't get in due to knee injury and being injury prone. Not because of form.

Infact HS is the best no 5 Pakistan has had in the past decade and probs our 2nd best allrounder after hafeez, he's a better bat then hafeez but hafeez is a better bowler.

He can't get in due to knee injury and being injury prone. Not because of form.

Infact HS is the best no 5 Pakistan has had in the past decade and probs our 2nd best allrounder after hafeez, he's a better bat then hafeez but hafeez is a better bowler.
In ODIs. He is not even a no. 5 in T20s

In ODIs. He is not even a no. 5 in T20s
He's should be a no 3 in t20, he's more aggressive and bats at a higher sr then anyone on our dugout.

If Bobby and rizzu can play with a joke 120+ SR, hairs sohail would be fine but obviously now his career is over due to injury

What they achieved he can only dream of. Like I said losing TESTS at home for fun. WC 2023 showed what he actually is. Pathetic on the field and behaving like a tourist in India. Top of his meak attitude was the shirt begging stuff.

He's should be a no 3 in t20, he's more aggressive and bats at a higher sr then anyone on our dugout.

If Bobby and rizzu can play with a joke 120+ SR, hairs sohail would be fine but obviously now his career is over due to injury
Have a look at his career SR before saying this.

What they achieved he can only dream of. Like I said losing TESTS at home for fun. WC 2023 showed what he actually is. Pathetic on the field and behaving like a tourist in India. Top of his meak attitude was the shirt begging stuff.
Tbh I can counter all of these points by telling you how Pakistan lost a series to Zimbabwe in 90s in Pakistan, lost home test series against Aus, Eng, SAF in 90s. Got whitewashed by Australia in ODI at home.

How Inzi scored only only 22 runs in the entire 2003 WC. And the list goes on and on. However, I won’t, because neither am I a cheerleader nor a blind hater. My post in this thread was about his belly bump and how that’s awful.

Tbh I can counter all of these points by telling you how Pakistan lost a series to Zimbabwe in 90s in Pakistan, lost home test series against Aus, Eng, SAF in 90s. Got whitewashed by Australia in ODI at home.

How Inzi scored only only 22 runs in the entire 2003 WC. And the list goes on and on. However, I won’t, because neither am I a cheerleader nor a blind hater. My post in this thread was about his belly bump and how that’s awful.
Every player has bad moments. But that doesn't invalidate their overall achievements.

YK in test is an atg, Inzi in odi is a solid batter and saeed anwar is an atg opener in the same class of Warner, Gilchrist, travis head, santh jaysuria, Rohit sharma(Prime), Sehwag, Quiton de kock, etc etc, he's no less then these guys.

Babar's real average is 33 in odi. That's where he'd at. This his avg against India. And the reason it's low against India is because India is the only team babar has never had the luxury of playing its 2nd or 3rd string as India and Pakistan only meet in tournaments.

These imam averages, Babar and rizzu averages are all fraudulent

The 90s team had many great wins/moments Babar doesnt even come close to them. Inzimam is a legend, please dont use a great like him to justify a stat padder like Babar.

Babar is regressing each year. I can also counter with so many of his pathetic innings in major games.

The 90s team had many great wins/moments Babar doesnt even come close to them. Inzimam is a legend, please dont use a great like him to justify a stat padder like Babar.

Babar is regressing each year. I can also counter with so many of his pathetic innings in major games.
Babar Azam is the greatest pakistani to ever hold a bat. Period.

Another coach who will be all talk and no substance.

Coaches don't change the fortunes of teams. Captains do. Plus Pakistan has a dearth of skill. So the team will remain rubbish no matter how many band-aids you put on in terms of new coaches, selectors, and chairmen.

He is right in that Babar puts too much pressure on himself and maybe even puts too much value on his wicket. He needs to play more freely and not worry about the team's total every time. You can't put too much value on your wicket in this format unless you're in the middle of like a really tight run-chase.

And that's the frustrating thing about Babar. Unlike Rizwan, Babar is not a limited player and has shown that he can play that way in the PSL and in T20s for Pakistan. Just not as often as he probably should.

He is right in that Babar puts too much pressure on himself and maybe even puts too much value on his wicket. He needs to play more freely and not worry about the team's total every time. You can't put too much value on your wicket in this format unless you're in the middle of like a really tight run-chase.

And that's the frustrating thing about Babar. Unlike Rizwan, Babar is not a limited player and has shown that he can play that way in the PSL and in T20s for Pakistan. Just not as often as he probably should.
That's where you're wrong. His backfoot play besides the pull shot is non existent against spin.

In t20 he's actually slower from overs 7-15 then he is from overs 1-6. He's fastest in terms of sr at the absolute death from overs 16-20 cause no more spin play.

Bobby isn't the worst when it comes to PP. He was ironically alongside fakhar, Hafeez etc a main contributor when Pakistan won 29 games and had only 3 losses in t20 and was ranked no 1.

Problem is Rizwan opening alongside him kinda exposed him because Babar while decent isn't the fastest at PP but he's okay.

His main and actual issue is overs 7-15, where he's dreadful. So you have 2 openers, one opener(rizwan) who is frustratingly slow in PP, the other opener who is avg in PP and frustratingly slow from overs 7-15 thereby killing the innings as one partner is always handicapping the other.

Oh and don't forget saim who's pretty much a walking wicket.

I wish Bobby and rizwan plays along with kl against srh or some gun pp utilisers to show their selfishness and idiotic nature to the whole world.

Back