"I don't have a magic wand with which I can say that the next game will go in our favour": Mohsin Naqvi

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Mohsin Naqvi in a presser today vowed to 'fix' the team's problems:

On losing to Bangladesh:

"It's not disappointing, it's extremely disappointing but the selection committee had put forth name of 17 players. If coach or captain doesn't want to include any of them in the playing XI then that's not our problem. Won't speak on that as it is their decision."

"Someone has raised question on pitch too and I have asked for a report on it that would be submitted by tomorrow. And then we would know about veracity in such claims (regarding pitch). And coming back on selection committee, they had provided the team with spinners, pacers, batters and everything required and now if they have made some mistake in strategy then it's another thing. But ofcourse we need to acknowledge our defeat and need to be wary so this doesn't happen again."

On current state of Pakistan cricket:

"I don't have a magic wand with which I can say that the next game will go in our favour"

"The current state of the cricket team is not a new issue. It has been deteriorating over the past three years. As the PCB chief for the past 5-6 months, I must acknowledge that I don't possess a magical solution to instantly resolve the situation".

"Despite facing criticism and calls for my resignation early on, my commitment remains to address the issues and work towards effective solutions,"

Naqvi stated: "Fixing the cricket team requires a long-term strategy. While it's natural to experience wins and losses, there is no doubt about the current poor state of the team".

"We are actively working on measures to rectify these problems, and you will definitely see improvements in due course,"

On claims of flawed pitch:

"How can you not read your own home conditions? You play four pacers on this pitch unacceptable,"

When asked about Surgery:

“The problem is that, at this time, the selection committee does not have a database to tell us that there are 100 players available from which we can select the players. If we talk about conducting surgeries or other things, we do so because we definitely need to fix the problems where they exist. However, when we look back, we realize that we don't have the people or the data available to say that if we need to replace four players, here is a list of 10 or 25 players. Everything was completely disorganized.”

“This Champions Cup will bring us a lot of good talent, and we will have records available. After that, we will be able to do whatever needs to be done. The issue with surgeries is that you need all the necessary tools and everything in place. Once we have the Champions Cup, we will maintain all the records. Previously, there was nothing; there were many players who were very good but were not on board or on the lists. Our domestic cricket will become very strong. We will have a pool of 100 or 150 players, and after that, the selection committee will be able to easily decide who needs surgery, who needs to come in, and who needs to go out.”

“The issue was that people wanted to make quick decisions, like "Let's just do it today, cut the throats of four or five players and release them." This is not the right approach. I believe that the selection committee should at least have a backup pool of players, readily available records”

Last edited by a moderator:
Mohsin Naqvi in a presser today vowed to 'fix' team's problems:
On losing to Bangladesh:

"It's not disappointing, it's extremely disappointing but the selection committee had put forth name of 17 players. If coach or captain doesn't want to include any of them in the playing XI then that's not our problem. Won't speak on that as it is their decision."

"Someone has raised question on pitch too and I have asked for a report on it that would be submitted by tomorrow. And then we would know about veracity in such claims (regarding pitch). And coming back on selection committee, they had provided the team with spinners, pacers, batters and everything required and now if they have made some mistake in strategy then it's another thing. But ofcourse we need to acknowledge our defeat and need to be wary so this doesn't happen again."

On current state of Pakistan cricket

"I don't have a magic wand with which I can say that the next game will go in our favour"

"The current state of the cricket team is not a new issue. It has been deteriorating over the past three years. As the PCB chief for the past 5-6 months, I must acknowledge that I don't possess a magical solution to instantly resolve the situation".

"Despite facing criticism and calls for my resignation early on, my commitment remains to address the issues and work towards effective solutions,"

Naqvi stated: "Fixing the cricket team requires a long-term strategy. While it's natural to experience wins and losses, there is no doubt about the current poor state of the team".

"We are actively working on measures to rectify these problems, and you will definitely see improvements in due course,"
What improvements?

By continuing to empower the same rubbish that has lead to its downfall in the first place?

Naqvi Sahib, you've been 6 months, if what you're claiming is true then Pakistan shpuld have gradually improved in 6 months even if you don't have a magic wand the results shpuld have atleast showcased an improvement even if it was minimal.

Instead it's declined even further? How do you explain that?

They bottled dropping Babar and Shaheen from the test squad after months of nonperforming.

If are there no consequences for bad performances that it's like playing amateur cricket in the garden with a tennis ball?

I thought you were supposed to do a surgery?
This is literally the same team with the same faces. What consequences have the players faced for their humiliating performances?

Babar and Shaheen have had millions invested in them and they can't perform against Bangladesh at home?

Naqvi saab is all words no action. I would drop Babar and Shaheen to teach them a lesson. Also, Shan Masood the guy who averages 28 as captain?

Too many questions and all we get it words from our chairman who also happens to be a government minister. How convenient.

Babar's lobby is so powerful he could keep playing like this and still never be dropped.

If it were any other country he would be dropped and sent to domestics. The guy can't even secure league contracts where's he gonna run away to lol.

Atleast the likes of Azam Khan are lucrative for T10 leagues etc.

selection committee had put forth name of 17 players. If coach or captain doesn't want to include any of them in the playing XI then that's not our problem. Won't speak on that as it is their decision."
What does Mohsin Naqvi meant by this statement?

What Naqvi meant is "I don't have magic wand to completely destroy Pakistan cricket." But if he stays another 2-3 months we may loose test status.

Mohsin Naqvi in a presser today vowed to 'fix' team's problems:
On losing to Bangladesh:

On current state of Pakistan cricket

Honestly the odds are against him because he is already pre occupied with his ministry. If he truly wants to change Pakistan Cricket for better he better put his 100% and that can only happen if he leaves the ministry.

Under his reign as PCB chief Pakistan cricket have seen absolute it's worst days. The T20 WC was a complete fiasco and now they have also written history by losing to BD at home allthough I am not surprsed at all.

Watched his presser just released on YouTube

Easily his worst press conference, he looked extremely stressed and rattled. He also had a tiff with one of the journalists who took him on on his comment about issues going on for 3 years.

This is the first time as well Naqvi has openly addressed the question of ‘surgery’ and he has basically confirmed that this is on the cards, and it’s not something that has just been made up. The plan is to do the surgery after the champion’s cup…they need the data from this apparently (what a load of horse btw).

*Naqvi directly said things like “we can’t just remove 4 players just like that”. This is probably the most interesting comment of this presser. It means they are under pressure to deal with some names in Pakistan cricket.

You dont need a magic wand, you need a brain, once you start doing the right thing, and make the right choices, the results will come its really not rocket science

what is he meant to do, hes got to the position with no expertise in cricket, sport or general administration. hes learning on the job too, so lets be patient until hes thrown out with the next changing of the political guard, with no achievements to show, and the process repeats itself.

The plan is to do the surgery after the champion’s cup…they need the data from this apparently (what a load of horse btw).
The grand plan is to probably remove players from the setup who will fail to perform in this Champions Cuo

Why is so much talk about pitch?

Pakistan has bowled out for 146 runs on same pitch and results was came before 1 session left .

all the talk about pitch but nobody is talking about main problem
Exactly. Pitch is just a convenient distraction.

The Champions Cup is a good idea but they were talking about 150 players or something which is too many.

Have squads of 15(including international players) and run the competition.

Those who play this should be exempt from Pakistan Cup/President Cup for workload management.

Non performers in Champions Cup should be relegated to lower tournaments and can be replaced by the best performers in Pakistan Cup etc.

Won't make PAK a world beater. But the severe talent crisis should be mitigated to an extent.

Why is so much talk about pitch?

Pakistan has bowled out for 146 runs on same pitch and results was came before 1 session left .

all the talk about pitch but nobody is talking about main problem
Exactly right. And this is the reason why we never move forward. We can’t ever diagnose the problem! And this genius wants to perform “surgery”!

One minute people talk about the pitch and misreading it and not picking a spinner. Then it’s about how flat the pitch was. Followed shortly by the little smart operator Rambo waxing lyrical about our fast bowling dying cos of Asia cup blah blah. So what is it, did the fast bowlers fail? Was it too flat a pitch do take any wickets? Or did you pick the wrong bowling lineup? Make your mind up.

And the ONE thing, the ONE thing that is indisputable is the damn batting collapsed for 146 on what is described as a “flat pitch”. None of these jokers are discussing this! That is the reason we lost.

The pitch, the failure of the fast bowlers, picking no spinner only come in to it if we were discussing a draw! Our bowling got pasted and so did the banglas in the first innings. It was up to our batsmen to just bat for a day and a bit on this flat deck and they succumbed like mentally frail amateurs.

Naqvi needs to get out of the cricket business and focus on interior ministry. Under his reign, things are getting out of control in Balochistan. This is not the time to focus on cricket for him.

How have Pakistan turned themselves into the biggest clowns in the world is shockingly baffling. It's going down the drain deeper and deeper and there's no sense of rectification.

Why can't the so-called big players be dropped? That's directly mixing politics with the sport. Who will give the accountability of selecting Shan as a captain when he's clearly a non-performer?

Babar is rightly targeted but Shaheen is quietly slipping under the radar and putting in one abysmal performance after the other. Only looks for volleys and is equally obsessed with bowling magic balls without any consideration of discipline. These are big issues that need to be looked into in the open as it's put the results beyond embarrassment.

Hang on isn't the Champions Cup a one day tournament? And our next matches are all test matches.

What's the point of selecting a one day slogger against Mark Wood, Gus Atkinson, Bashir and all in a test match??

Naqvi needs to get out of the cricket business and focus on interior ministry. Under his reign, things are getting out of control in Balochistan. This is not the time to focus on cricket for him.

How have Pakistan turned themselves into the biggest clowns in the world is shockingly baffling. It's going down the drain deeper and deeper and there's no sense of rectification.

Why can't the so-called big players be dropped? That's directly mixing politics with the sport. Who will give the accountability of selecting Shan as a captain when he's clearly a non-performer?

Babar is rightly targeted but Shaheen is quietly slipping under the radar and putting in one abysmal performance after the other. Only looks for volleys and is equally obsessed with bowling magic balls without any consideration of discipline. These are big issues that need to be looked into in the open as it's put the results beyond embarrassment.
There has been a lot of bad decisions made of late. Shaheen being appointed as captain and then quickly removed. Given his injuries and the fact he is a young fast bowler, it was a very strange decision to make him captain. The military training fiasco was just a PR stunt which resulted in injured players. Relaxing of fitness rules to accommodate Azam Khan, when instead we should have been focused on setting the bar higher for fitness with our existing players let alone adding even worse fitness to the squad. Shan's appointment as captain without proper performance. Babar's reappointment as captain, which should not have happened. Should also have stayed at no.3 once he moved down. I think also part of the reappointment of Babar as captain and him moving back up to opener was due to the hype of the special Saim-Babar partnership. Investing too much into Saim and giving him too long a run desperate for him to succeed, messing with combinations just just before world cup as a result. Saim should have been dropped after Ireland series where either we should have made the decision to go with Fakhar or Usman instead for eng series and world cup. Or even giving Rizwan-Babar partnership the entire england series instead of going back to that combo just before world cup. Bringing back imad and Amir for one last hurrah at the world cup wasn't necessarily a bad one, but again shows how reactionary/poorly developing for the future.

I've never seen so many bad/poor reactionary decisions with no long term plan in mind made in such a short space of time. Maybe not all of these are the chairman's fault. But if you panic like this and make decisions as reactionary as this, you can't exactly produce a calm settled side. Felt like the decisions more of an impatient cricket fan going along with the hype, than a chairman of a cricket board.

Mohsin Naqvi's Translation - "I am here to stay irrespective of the state of Pakistan cricket, I am not here to improve it."

So Mr Gillespie, welcome to Pakistan cricket.
The moment the kitchen gets hot, the head of the PCB will throw you under the proverbial bus.

Really have to question what on earth were Gillespie and Kirsten doing agreeing to be part of this circus.
Neither will be in place by the in a year.

Where is Gary Kirsten?
If the premier domestic one day tournament is happening. As a chairman I would want him to be there and ask his suggestions for things. If I want him to continue and improve the limited overs national team.

That's the right way to go about doing things.

“PCB Chief Mohsin Naqvi said “The problem is that, at this time, the selection committee does not have a database to tell us that there are 100 players available from which we can select the players. If we talk about conducting surgeries or other things, we do so because we definitely need to fix the problems where they exist. However, when we look back, we realize that we don't have the people or the data available to say that if we need to replace four players, here is a list of 10 or 25 players. Everything was completely disorganized.”

I copied this from Twitter, I don’t think he said it bluntly like this but he did say ‘we can’t suddenly just remove 4 players’.

His excuse! How hard is it to replace Shadab? How hard is it to find 2 openers that will strike at 100 in T20 (that’s what you are basically replacing)?

lol naqvi made a blunder by making babar captain again and made a mess of team harmony

Mohsin Naqvi in a presser today vowed to 'fix' the team's problems:

On losing to Bangladesh:

On current state of Pakistan cricket:

On claims of flawed pitch:

"How can you not read your own home conditions? You play four pacers on this pitch unacceptable,"

When asked about Surgery:

“The problem is that, at this time, the selection committee does not have a database to tell us that there are 100 players available from which we can select the players. If we talk about conducting surgeries or other things, we do so because we definitely need to fix the problems where they exist. However, when we look back, we realize that we don't have the people or the data available to say that if we need to replace four players, here is a list of 10 or 25 players. Everything was completely disorganized.”

“This Champions Cup will bring us a lot of good talent, and we will have records available. After that, we will be able to do whatever needs to be done. The issue with surgeries is that you need all the necessary tools and everything in place. Once we have the Champions Cup, we will maintain all the records. Previously, there was nothing; there were many players who were very good but were not on board or on the lists. Our domestic cricket will become very strong. We will have a pool of 100 or 150 players, and after that, the selection committee will be able to easily decide who needs surgery, who needs to come in, and who needs to go out.”

“The issue was that people wanted to make quick decisions, like "Let's just do it today, cut the throats of four or five players and release them." This is not the right approach. I believe that the selection committee should at least have a backup pool of players, readily available records”

It was another All-Talk show. I don't think he is willing to take any bold steps.

Naqvi work on data analysis which many times works and some times not , he saw the data and realize Babar is the best player in the team so he should be the captain next he saw Usman performance in the PSL and decide that he should be part of the team then he decide based on league performances that Imad and Amir should become part of T20 Squad, Next he selected the best bunch of players for Shaheen tours ,next he saw that last year Quaid Trophy players performance data is skewed due to quantity over quality issues so he is waiting for the right data to select players using champions cup data to remove the non performing players from the team. He made our domestic cricket pretty much structured starting from school cricket , college cricket , uni cricket , club cricket , u15 , 17 , 19 , grade II , grade I ,First class , champions cup , All these things looks brilliant on paper but the real question is whether it will be implemented properly or not.

I like his approach of using the data to make decision and it's not his fault that the players quality at all levels is absolutely dud but our Awam is besabri and wants to change the guy who has actually done something for our cricket.

Any new player we have selected in the last 3 years have turned out to be flop so whose fault is this? We have to narrow the ever increasing gap between domestic and international cricket and Naqvi has taken all the practical steps he could have taken in order to bridge that gap.

I thought you were supposed to do a surgery?
This is literally the same team with the same faces. What consequences have the players faced for their humiliating performances?

Babar and Shaheen have had millions invested in them and they can't perform against Bangladesh at home?

Naqvi saab is all words no action. I would drop Babar and Shaheen to teach them a lesson. Also, Shan Masood the guy who averages 28 as captain?

Too many questions and all we get it words from our chairman who also happens to be a government minister. How convenient.
Last time Shan Masood performed was 4 years ago when he made 156, how is he even in the team and why is he the Captain. His Captaincy is an even bigger failure, he has so far presided over 4 straight losses, a 100% loss rate. It is time send him back to Derbyshire for good.

Last time Shan Masood performed was 4 years ago when he made 156, how is he even in the team and why is he the Captain. His Captaincy is an even bigger failure, he has so far presided over 4 straight losses, a 100% loss rate. It is time send him back to Derbyshire for good.
Yeah, he is good enough for Yorkshire only. He is not an international material and his place is not justified in the team and here we have made him the captain. LOL

Like Gaitonde in Sacred Games.. Pakistan need some of kuckoo's magic wand to change there fortune. But who can take that stick for the team.. I have heard KPK is into this stuff so may be Rizwan..what say @Bhaijaan @cricketjoshila @Rana

Misbah is Suleiman Isa of Pakistan cricket. You have to take him on to get Kukoo, but he will forever be on your case!

Mark my words, the CT 25 Squad will have:

Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Shadab, Fakhar, Haris Rauf, Iftikhar (if we're really lucky!).

What's the definition of insanity again? This Champions Cup, Foreign Coaches, etc. are all smoke. Backwards and backwards we go. But hey! At least we can count on Shaheen masking his extremely ordinary talent with cringe PR/celebrations, Rizwan standing befuddled at the pitch for five minutes after getting bowled, and Haris Rauf picking fights with opposition tailenders.

Honestly, at this point, the only hope I have is India not touring, so that we don't have to have the ignominy of them lifting the trophy on our home soil. As a side note, you already KNOW this cancerous core (which some of our deluded compatriots had the nerve to brand as "The Golden Generation") will do everything in their power to leech on for dear life until LA 2028, so that they can increase their brand and PR opportunities.

What a time to be alive!

This guy is all talk but don't take actions who involved in grouping which cost us first match. Who need Jay Shah to destroy Pakistan cricket? Naqvi himself to do it by himself.

Awww damn, we can’t perform the surgery now can we without the magic wand old boy?

Mark my words, the CT 25 Squad will have:

Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Shadab, Fakhar, Haris Rauf, Iftikhar (if we're really lucky!).

What's the definition of insanity again? This Champions Cup, Foreign Coaches, etc. are all smoke. Backwards and backwards we go. But hey! At least we can count on Shaheen masking his extremely ordinary talent with cringe PR/celebrations, Rizwan standing befuddled at the pitch for five minutes after getting bowled, and Haris Rauf picking fights with opposition tailenders.

Honestly, at this point, the only hope I have is India not touring, so that we don't have to have the ignominy of them lifting the trophy on our home soil. As a side note, you already KNOW this cancerous core (which some of our deluded compatriots had the nerve to brand as "The Golden Generation") will do everything in their power to leech on for dear life until LA 2028, so that they can increase their brand and PR opportunities.

What a time to be alive!
Khich ke rakho Chaudhry sab

Cut him some slack guys. We need to keep in mind that he’s not some random guy, this special little snowflake is the Interior Minister of Pakistan and also heads the narcotics ministry. We should be rolling out the red carpet for him because he’s taken precious time from his jam-packed schedule to fill us in on the latest scoop. Who knows, if we’re lucky, he might even bless us with a Tweet about this surgery he keeps talking about.

Every day it seems more and more like the chairmanship is Naqvi’s personal vanity project.

It was another All-Talk show. I don't think he is willing to take any bold steps.
Im sure Bobzy rizwan shaheen and either shadab / azam or few more chele chapaatey who have sponsors behind them give a cut to Naqvi.

Money talks world over. esp so in a crumbling economy and sports state.

They sent only 7 athletes to olympics. remember that

Prahva kedi major surgery karan chaleya Naqvi, itthe mareez di surgery de daar naale maut aa gaayi, nabz hi raahi, surgery murde di kaarni ha?

Back