"I have suffered many things and I don't want my son Abdullah to face the same" : Sarfaraz Ahmed

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"I have suffered many things and I don't want my son Abdullah to face the same" : Sarfaraz Ahmed

The Pakistan cricket team has turned a corner following their dismal show in the 2019 World Cup, which saw their coach and captain getting sacked. Two years of hard work and dedication paid off as Pakistan reached the semi-final of the ICC T20 World Cup last year, and have not looked back. Recently, Pakistan registered an emphatic ODI series win against Australia, who had toured the country for the first time since 1998 and this bodes well for the Pakistan cricket team which is shaping up nicely.

The fact that captain Babar Azam has hit top gear and the emergence of the likes of Shaheen Afridi, Mohammad Rizwan and the coming of age of Fakhar Zaman and Imam-ul-Haq have benefitted the team aplenty. The new era of Pakistan cricket under Babar seems to be flourishing and it comes at the right time with back-to-back World Cups.

Speaking of which, the last time Pakistan played the 50-over World Cup, it was during 2019 in England, where they failed to make it to the semi-finals. Then captain of the team Sarfraz Ahmed, is no longer in the scheme of things. After being stripped of captaincy shortly after the 2019 World Cup debacle, recently dropped from the ODI and T20I teams ahead of the series against Australia. Sarfaraz has a kid, Abdullah, who is passionate towards cricket, but the former Pakistan captain is not too keen on his child to take up the sport as a profession.

"Abdullah is passionate about playing cricket. But I don't want him to become a cricketer," Sarfaraz said during an interview on a local channel. "Actually, being a cricketer, I suffered many things that I don't want Abdullah to face. It's human nature. Being a cricketer, I want my brother or son to be selected immediately. Otherwise, it hurts."

Abdullah’s talent has been praised by former Pakistan wicketkeeper Moin Khan and ex-Indian tennis sensation Sania Mirza, who are bowled over by the kid’s early cricketing impressions. Sarfaraz, who led Pakistan to the Champions Trophy title in 2017, is not entirely against his son wanting to become a cricketer, but insists he should work his way to the top without seeking anyone’s assistance.

"A lot of people said to me that Abdullah is talented and I should let him play cricket. Moin Bhai had praised Abdullah's skills, also, Sania Mirza once told me that Abdullah has the potential to become a cricketer. But I want him to achieve his goals by working hard. Nobody should give him an easy way just because he is my son," Sarfaraz mentioned.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...ed-on-tackling-criticism-101649241761569.html

Cricketers in Pakistan suffer alot. They have to play in the worst conditions. Poor grounds, poor facilities, being forced to do useless net practise of 8+ hours. No changerooms, being forced to leave your education, not being provided with clean water etc.

Thus, no cricketer would want his children to play the game.

If the children avail better facilities, go to the net practises on car instead of bike and drink clean watr and all, the other players start to resent you and call you mummy daddy because you dont live the kind of life that the other poor people are living. If you are privledged you are hated by the people who want the same things as you but call out names against those who have it.

In cricket, socialization and networking matters alot to get selected. Its not only about performance its about networking aswell.

Thus at this point i agree woth sarfraz ahmad.

But if sarfraz ahmad is saying he was mistreated with the way captaincy was taken away from him and he was thron out of the team due to rizwan than he is wrong.

Sarfraz ahmad got what adnan akmal got.

Adnan akmal was performing well at test level and there was no reason to drop him. But when moin khan joined the team managament he removed adnan and bought in sarfraz forcefully. Yes the method in whihc he was bought in the team was wrong. But eventually he performed and kept his spot fair enough. He kept getting fabourable treatment when moin khan there as coach and team manager. Misbah was fed up with moin because moin was starting to influence team selection and playing 11 as team manager.

Anyways, as a batter and as a captain, Sarfraz went to achieve things that no one would had predicted. This guy was once an ugly batsmen who was a walking wicket. I remember back in 2008 when he first came in, the team managment used to send him as no.7 or no.8 because sarfraz had no confidence in his batting and was just terrible. He was often known as the SOS wicket keeper. When Kamran dropped too many, sarfraz would get the call.

Sarfraz under moin khan got his confidece and than got pakistan the ct17. No one in 2008 would had predicted that this long hair unattractive batter would be made captain and win us glory. But he did.

Back in karachi, his street was filled people who came to see the ct17 winning kaptaan, and like the pope, he stood in the balcony and waved to his fans.

This glory went to his head, amd from there on, sarfraz ahmed stopped caring about fitness and his battinf performance started to go downhill.

When Misbah came back as coach, Misbah only did what Moin Khan did. Moin removed Adnan and bought Sarfraz as keeper. Misbah removed sarfz and bought rizwan as the keeper. The only difference was Sarfraz was not performing as a batter. Yes he had wins, but as a batter he was terrible.

Rizwan, who couldnt perform in the team before, got the confidence of his coach Misbah, just like how once safraz had moin to mentor him......

Thus, if Sarfraz is saying that he was mistreated post WC 19, than he is wrong. His own performance and lack of fitness was the cause. When he did indeed got fit, many ex players took a dig at him that where was this fitness when he was actually in the team. He took pakistan team for granted just because of tye CT17 glory.

He ousted a performing adnan akmal from test. Atleast sarfraz served as captain, won glory etc. What did adnan akmal get? Nothing.

Thus, to cry about mistreatment, remember you did the exact same thing with someone else and no one knows the story of adnan akmal.

Even till this australia series, while rizwan was getting selected, sarfraz ahmad was being forced as the back up upon us. Rameez raja took a good decision by making mohammad harris the understudy instead of a sarfraz ahmad who has played his cricket...

Sarfraz gave us glory, thank you for that, but dont complain about ill treatment (assuming he is talking about the post wc19 events).

Grapes are sour in that case Sarfraz should not forget what he is today is because of cricket without cricket who would have a random guy from the suburbs of Karachi

I thought he was talking about Abdullah Shafique for a moment.

Anyway yes, constructive criticism is fine but personal abuse is unacceptable.

Cricketers in Pakistan suffer alot. They have to play in the worst conditions. Poor grounds, poor facilities, being forced to do useless net practise of 8+ hours. No changerooms, being forced to leave your education, not being provided with clean water etc.

If the children avail better facilities, go to the net practises on car instead of bike and drink clean watr and all, the other players start to resent you and call you mummy daddy because you dont live the kind of life that the other poor people are living. If you are privledged you are hated by the people who want the same things as you but call out names against those who have it.

In cricket, socialization and networking matters alot to get selected. Its not only about performance its about networking aswell.

But if sarfraz ahmad is saying he was mistreated with the way captaincy was taken away from him and he was thron out of the team due to rizwan than he is wrong.

Adnan akmal was performing well at test level and there was no reason to drop him. But when moin khan joined the team managament he removed adnan and bought in sarfraz forcefully. Yes the method in whihc he was bought in the team was wrong. But eventually he performed and kept his spot fair enough. He kept getting fabourable treatment when moin khan there as coach and team manager. Misbah was fed up with moin because moin was starting to influence team selection and playing 11 as team manager.

Anyways, as a batter and as a captain, Sarfraz went to achieve things that no one would had predicted. This guy was once an ugly batsmen who was a walking wicket. I remember back in 2008 when he first came in, the team managment used to send him as no.7 or no.8 because sarfraz had no confidence in his batting and was just terrible. He was often known as the SOS wicket keeper. When Kamran dropped too many, sarfraz would get the call.

Sarfraz under moin khan got his confidece and than got pakistan the ct17. No one in 2008 would had predicted that this long hair unattractive batter would be made captain and win us glory. But he did.

Back in karachi, his street was filled people who came to see the ct17 winning kaptaan, and like the pope, he stood in the balcony and waved to his fans.

This glory went to his head, amd from there on, sarfraz ahmed stopped caring about fitness and his battinf performance started to go downhill.

When Misbah came back as coach, Misbah only did what Moin Khan did. Moin removed Adnan and bought Sarfraz as keeper. Misbah removed sarfz and bought rizwan as the keeper. The only difference was Sarfraz was not performing as a batter. Yes he had wins, but as a batter he was terrible.

Rizwan, who couldnt perform in the team before, got the confidence of his coach Misbah, just like how once safraz had moin to mentor him......

Thus, if Sarfraz is saying that he was mistreated post WC 19, than he is wrong. His own performance and lack of fitness was the cause. When he did indeed got fit, many ex players took a dig at him that where was this fitness when he was actually in the team. He took pakistan team for granted just because of tye CT17 glory.

He ousted a performing adnan akmal from test. Atleast sarfraz served as captain, won glory etc. What did adnan akmal get? Nothing.

Thus, to cry about mistreatment, remember you did the exact same thing with someone else and no one knows the story of adnan akmal.

Even till this australia series, while rizwan was getting selected, sarfraz ahmad was being forced as the back up upon us. Rameez raja took a good decision by making mohammad harris the understudy instead of a sarfraz ahmad who has played his cricket...

Sarfraz gave us glory, thank you for that, but dont complain about ill treatment (assuming he is talking about the post wc19 events).

I was wondering where some defence of Misbah came in here. You didn’t disappoint - Well done. Have you ever posted something without a Misbah Lense?

I was wondering where some defence of Misbah came in here. You didn’t disappoint - Well done. Have you ever posted something without a Misbah Lense?

Its better to understand the topic and the context of it before posting.

My assumptions are sarfraz thinks he was ill treated post 19wc, when infact he got the same treatment which was dishes out to the keeper before him for sarfrazs sake.

Now in this story Misbah does come in as he was the coach and captain aswell..

I think he is on about the abuse after the defeat to India in the WC19 match were he was having some food with his family when a numpty of a fan started hailing abuse at him.

Pak cricketers do suffer abuse like the time Wasim Akram father was kidnapped after losing a game.

Good luck Sarfraz he did his best for Pak so never deserved the abuse in front of family

I think he is on about the abuse after the defeat to India in the WC19 match were he was having some food with his family when a numpty of a fan started hailing abuse at him.

Pak cricketers do suffer abuse like the time Wasim Akram father was kidnapped after losing a game.

Good luck Sarfraz he did his best for Pak so never deserved the abuse in front of family

That was indeed despicable by that fat kid who thought who was doing some service to pakistan by going up to sarfraz and swearing at him.

Sarfraz wanted to punch him in the face but didnt

Oh, gosh, its Misbah , Misbah------ again and again .

Moin Khan probably said the same thing regarding Azam Khan 15 years ago. The rest is history.

I thought he was talking about Abdullah Shafique for a moment.

Anyway yes, constructive criticism is fine but personal abuse is unacceptable.

Speaking of abuse, hope little Abdullah doesn't take after his father publicly berating his teammates on the field, and hurling racist jibes at the likes of Phehlukwayo from the opposition.

"Abdullah is passionate about playing cricket. But I don't want him to become a cricketer," Sarfaraz said during an interview on a local channel. "Actually, being a cricketer, I suffered many things that I don't want Abdullah to face. It's human nature. Being a cricketer, I want my brother or son to be selected immediately. Otherwise, it hurts."

Rather sad to read, but Pakistan cricket is a dog eat dog world and to be fair, Sarfaraz has had it good and had a lot more backing than many other cricketers.

Last edited:
Bas Saify… he was given the most live out of any Pakistan Captain. Don’t know why he’s being upset.

Sarfraz had his chances, It was really a cruel on himself to be removing him from captaincy after losing a home T20 series in Pakistan. But even after that, he was given many chances to perform but he passed his prime and there is so much talent waiting to fill his position.
Every karachi player when gets dropped came up with this injustice type of excuses. Be it Khurram manzor, latif, sami, asad shafique, fawad etc.

Cricket at grass root level and domestic level is no picnic. Once you are in Pakistani team or post T20 leagues around the world, things change. But, how many will reach that level? He is right that there are better professions to earn more with less struggle.

Darren Sammy was referring to the crowds at the stadium, not Indian players.

Either way - whoever did it was clearly in the wrong.

Ishant Sharma called Darren Sammy the "K" word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video of Sarfaraz's son clean bowling him...think he should play cricket!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 50%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/ntifp1" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited:
I was rarely a fan of Sarfraz as a cricketer. But I can atleast respect him for not wanting his son to be handed opportunities. Atleast he's not completely shameless like Moin Khan.

Let's see how he develops as a cricketer.

It might be the case where he is that good that his father will have no option than to give him a chance as a professional cricketer.

Don't know why everyone thinks he's talking about his axing after wc19. Seems like he is talking about rising up from the grassroots. Some unnecessary criticism from people here. I think he has conducted himself well since he's been dropped. Hasn't said anything bad as far as I know of.

He's right regarding the grassroot cricket being abysmal in Pakistan. Rising up the ranks in extremely poor playing conditions is extremely hard and it takes some real mental strength in addition to better than average cricketing skills. If you want to see how losers behave, then go look at Danish Kaneria, Salman Butt, Kamran and Umar, Amir, Aqib Javed etc

Some people do use their influence to rise up the ranks to a certain degree but they usually get found out at FC/LA level (Arsal Sheikh, Zohaib Ahmed, Shezar Mohammad etc) or are unable to make it in at the highest level (Junaid Zia, Faisal Iqbal, Imran Farhat etc). Some of the guys with some influence who have had the skills and worked real hard have been able to be successful in international cricket as well (Mushtaq Mohammad, Shoaib Mohammad, Shaheen Afridi etc)

Back