"In 21 years of playing cricket in England & Scotland I've never experienced racism" : Yasir Arafat

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"In 21 years of playing cricket in England & Scotland I've never experienced racism" : Yasir Arafat

In his latest blog for PakPassion.net, the former Pakistan all-rounder Yasir Arafat writes about his praise for fellow players, coaches and supporters who have always treated him with respect, why he feels that racial discrimination is only an issue at the junior level of the game, ECB’s 12-point plan to tackle racism, his concerns that some players may use racial discrimination to explain their lack of success, the examples of Nasser Hussain, Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid as Asian cricketers who have succeeded in English Cricket and how parents can support Asian players on their journey.

Yasir-Arafat-Surrey_2626880.jpg

In 21 years of playing cricket in England and Scotland I have never experienced racism

First of all, let me start by saying that whilst I accept with a heavy heart that there are those who feel that they have been the subject of and suffered due to racism, I personally did not come across this problem during the 21 years that I have been playing cricket in the UK. I started off in club cricket and went on to represent Kent, Lancashire, Somerset, Surrey and Sussex in county cricket and also played for Scotland and I would like to thank my fellow players, coaches and even team supporters over many years who went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and treated me with utmost respect. Let me categorically say that I never experienced racism or any sort of bias towards me.

Racism as a problem exists in the game but not at all levels of cricket in England

Given all that we have heard and read in the last few weeks, and despite my own experiences, it is clear to me that the problem of racism is not a figment of anyone’s imagination, but I will also say that it is not an issue once you are playing at the higher levels of cricket. From what I have gathered by listening to accounts of many others, the issue seems to be more at the junior level or at the Junior Pathway stage. It is at this level that I feel that Asians feel disadvantaged or neglected and where the selection criteria seem to be flawed or lacks transparency. It is here that young Asian cricketers feel that they are not getting the opportunities that others are being afforded. If fairer treatment could be assured at this level of the game, then we could see more Asians come through the ranks as a lack of encouragement and any perception of being discriminated against can easily make or break a player.

The ECB’s 12-point plan to tackle racism in the game is likely to bear fruit

If one has to be fair, then we have to admit that despite perceived weaknesses in this aspect, the ECB has done and is continuing to do their bit to battle this problem. The question of accountability has been a thorn in the side for the ECB when it comes to dealing with Asian cricketers and in that regard, the 12-point action plan they recently announced will go a long way in providing that sort of transparency in selection which many in the Asian community have been demanding for many years. One hopes that all grievances from Asian cricketers will now be aired in a structured manner via these reforms and questions that some players may have on unfair treatment will be answered, which can only benefit the game in England.

Asians-in-Cricket-Featured-Image.jpg

A concern that some may use racism as an excuse to hide their lack of talent

Whilst racism in cricket as highlighted by Azeem Rafiq and many others is a real issue, there is also a concern that racial discrimination could well become an excuse for some who lack the requisite talent to succeed. If that does happen then that would be an unfair view of a system which has by and large used merit as the yardstick for progress and has allowed the likes of Moeen Ali to be appointed vice-captain for England’s Test side or which has seen Adil Rashid become a key component of the England Limited Overs sides or, where Nasser Hussain was given the opportunity to lead the side. We also have the examples of Haseeb Hameed and Saqib Mahmood, Monty Panesar and Ajmal Shahzad – and there are more such examples of how talented Asians have made it to the top after working hard. To me if you are talented and good enough and are willing to put in the hard yards, then the English system will let you rise above the ranks and go to the top.

Raised awareness about racism in sport is surely having a positive effect

Times are changing and with increased awareness, education regarding race-related issues, I can only assume that the sort of abuse Azeem had to face will now be a thing of the past. Whereas in the past, players would be made aware of dangers related to match-fixing we are now seeing similar emphasis on racism and discrimination related issues at all levels of the game. With the attention drawn to such matters due to the courage of the likes of Azeem Rafiq, I expect things to get better for all of us. We are already seeing a lot of positive movement with the introduction of ECB's 12-point plan to tackle racism in cricket and once it is implemented at all levels of the game then it will become near impossible for another episode like that of Azeem Rafiq to happen again.

308390.6.jpg

No one should undergo the sort of treatment that Azeem Rafiq went through in his time as a player

I, like many other fair-minded people around the world, was appalled to hear Azeem Rafiq describe the sort of disgusting treatment he had to endure and of which he spoke about at the recent hearings. No one should undergo the sort of treatment that Azeem Rafiq went through in his time as a player. There had always been rumours of such behaviour about a certain County in English cricket and so, in a sense, Azeem’s accounts of abuse and mental anguish is not that much of a surprise. Such incidents should not be happening or allowed to happen when the ICC and the various boards around the world have clearly stated that there is zero-tolerance for any sort of racist behaviour. And if there are laws to prevent such incidents, they are not meant to be written on paper only, instead they need to be acted upon and those guilty of breaking such laws need to be held to account.

Young Asian cricketers need support from their parents to move up

To my mind, cricket in the UK is set up for those with talent and skills to rise through the ranks and we have already spoken about how well some of the Asian cricketers are doing in this country. I do feel that Asian parents need to step-up a bit when it comes to supporting young Asian cricketers during their journey through the system. In my opinion, parents of Asian cricketers move away themselves from providing the sort of mental support needed when a player is experiencing lows or even when a player feels he is being discriminated against as he can easily get distracted and lose his way. I feel that Asian cricketers get disheartened very quickly due to rejection or even injuries. Remember, that to get to the highest levels of the English game is a long process and requires 10-15 years of hard work and supportive parents can go a long way in helping the player achieve that milestone. Given the current changes in English Cricket that we are seeing as a result of the renewed focus on racism, I feel that with a bit more courage and support, we should see many more Asian cricketers rise and play top-level cricket in the country.

Last edited:
Whilst racism in cricket as highlighted by Azeem Rafiq and many others is a real issue, there is also a concern that racial discrimination could well become an excuse for some who lack the requisite talent to succeed.

That's true and it's become somewhat clear this is an issue very concentrated in Yorkshire.

A very balanced view.

He can only talk about his own experiences whilst not doubting the experiences of others.

Players of Pak ethnicity who have represented Scotland at international level have spoken of racism. It does not happen everywhere or to everyone. Good to hear some positive news for a change.

Whilst racism in cricket as highlighted by Azeem Rafiq and many others is a real issue, there is also a concern that racial discrimination could well become an excuse for some who lack the requisite talent to succeed. If that does happen then that would be an unfair view of a system which has by and large used merit as the yardstick for progress and has allowed the likes of Moeen Ali to be appointed vice-captain for England’s Test side or which has seen Adil Rashid become a key component of the England Limited Overs sides or, where Nasser Hussain was given the opportunity to lead the side. We also have the examples of Haseeb Hameed and Saqib Mahmood, Monty Panesar and Ajmal Shahzad – and there are more such examples of how talented Asians have made it to the top after working hard. To me if you are talented and good enough and are willing to put in the hard yards, then the English system will let you rise above the ranks and go to the top.

Imagine the hue and cry had a white person made this statement. He is spot on though - the vast majority of Asian players are mentally weak due to their inferiority complex.

They have failed to grasp the opportunities that have been presented to them. There is a reason why over 90% of the Asian players in the last two decades or so have failed to hold their place in the team.

When an Asian players flops and gets discarded due to his own shortcomings, he plays the racism card to deflect attention from his own failures and shift the responsibility because it is the easiest thing to do.

Had Haseeb not revived his career somewhat, he would have also given a thunderous interview few years down the line and blames racism for the way his career tanked.

The issue is that racism card sells like hot cake. Any Asian player can stand up and play the racism card and people will believe him and take his word at face value.

We often talk about the white privilege, but the real privilege, especially in UK cricket circles, is the desi privilege because everyone is going to believe your accusations without verifying your story.

Take a look at Rafiq. He was promoted as some beacon of light for change in UK cricket and a messiah against racism but he was badly exposed as a fraud and a con-man who himself was the biggest racist at Yorkshire CC.

All the people who put their faith him, trusted him and defended him were left red-faced and as Rafiq’s narrative crashed harder than his mediocre career.

^^ utter nonsense. Racism is there as is other prejudices and discrimination. It's not exclusive to the UK though, not everyone suffers or is a victim. However, just because one is not on the receiving end doesn't mean others have not been. It's nothing to do with mental weakness or strength. Nobody should be subject to discrimination, and nobody should have to put up with it. Anyone saying otherwise are just giving false justification when there is no justification for it.

There are people here talking about as if there is no racism in UK cricket yet have not lived here and don't have a clue.

This thread is not about Azeem Rafiq in particular - its the whole topic of racism in cricket in the UK being discussed.

Azeem thread has enough discussion in there and even Yasir has sympathy for his cause

Yasir is an immigrant, they have different expectations to those brought up as English.

I lived 30% of my life in Canada, US and UK and based on my experience I faced none in Canada, some in the US and quite a lot in the UK. Azeem is not lying and anybody who says he is doesn't know what racism is all about

Yasir is an immigrant, they have different expectations to those brought up as English.

He is not denying that racism exists but he is saying HE did not experience it which is a fact.

He is not denying that racism exists but he is saying HE did not experience it which is a fact.

Which is fine, he's actually a high class interntional, and probably the star player for whichever team he plays for, so I would be surprised if he did experience much racism at that level. But how relevant is that for the majority of Asian cricketers in England? Most have to work their way up from a much lower level and that's where they will come up against more resistance.

Exactly, foreign players taking part in club cricket or at county level are least likely to be targeted. People new to a foreign country are also not aware of racist taunts being directed at them. Especially in country like Britain where phrases have double meaning.
Struggle is for school going kids, young people looking to establish themselves. A foreign player, playing on contract has already established himself. Abusers likely leave such people alone (who are just too foreign) because they know they won't understand the insults being directed at them.

Exactly, foreign players taking part in club cricket or at county level are least likely to be targeted. People new to a foreign country are also not aware of racist taunts being directed at them. Especially in country like Britain where phrases have double meaning.
Struggle is for school going kids, young people looking to establish themselves. A foreign player, playing on contract has already established himself. Abusers likely leave such people alone (who are just too foreign) because they know they won't understand the insults being directed at them.

He said:

Racism as a problem exists in the game but not at all levels of cricket in England

Given all that we have heard and read in the last few weeks, and despite my own experiences, it is clear to me that the problem of racism is not a figment of anyone’s imagination, but I will also say that it is not an issue once you are playing at the higher levels of cricket. From what I have gathered by listening to accounts of many others, the issue seems to be more at the junior level or at the Junior Pathway stage. It is at this level that I feel that Asians feel disadvantaged or neglected and where the selection criteria seem to be flawed or lacks transparency. It is here that young Asian cricketers feel that they are not getting the opportunities that others are being afforded. If fairer treatment could be assured at this level of the game, then we could see more Asians come through the ranks as a lack of encouragement and any perception of being discriminated against can easily make or break a player.

I just don't think he really needed to say anything, he's living in a different world. It's the equivalent of a Brit Pak like me going to live for a few weeks in Lahore, staying in a 5 star hotel and then saying there's nothing wrong with Pakistan...the people all love me and my expensive spending habits.

You heard it hear folks, a few weeks in Lahore is akin to 21 years in England.

You couldn’t make it up.

As usual missing the point completely. Yasir Arafat playing low level cricket in Scotland or some sub-league in England is going to be the superstar of his team. People will be rolling out the red carpet for him, he's obviously going to be treated differently to someone who is a lesser light. Darren Bent the footballer was considered a hero when he played for Sunderland but his mum got racially abused in a supermarket because no one knew she was their idol's mum. But these nuances are wasted on the Priti Patels of this world.

Oh dear lord, from 5 star hotels to superstars are not subject to racism.

The liberals have all the excuses, Yasir never experienced racism because he’s a superstar in a sub/low team. (Yet coloured superstars in football have experienced racism in the UK.)

Liberals pushing an alternative narrative to Yasir’s claims. Nothing new, liberals need to stay relevant.

Clearly the liberals are living in a different world.

Any Pakistani who has played 21 years in British cricket and is claiming he has never experienced racism is probably being economical with the truth to put it politely. Unless of course one believes in hierarchies according to one's own worth, and thus would doff the cap to the superior as a natural occurrence and therefore not racist at all.

Any Pakistani who has played 21 years in British cricket and is claiming he has never experienced racism is probably being economical with the truth to put it politely. Unless of course one believes in hierarchies according to one's own worth, and thus would doff the cap to the superior as a natural occurrence and therefore not racist at all.

So in other words, you have either been racially abused or you are a liar. This is what class victim mentality looks like. No wonder it is so deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK.

I'm not saying this is the case with Yasir, but there are some Asian cricketers in the UK who have suffered racism, mentioned it in the past many times off the record, but now when the time was right to speak up, they are silent and scared.

So in other words, you have either been racially abused or you are a liar. This is what class victim mentality looks like. No wonder it is so deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK.

I didn't say he was racially abused though, I was talking about experiencing racism, and there's a subtle difference. As someone who has grown up in Pakistan, a lot of the more subtle stuff would just go right over his head. As a foreigner he's here to collect money first and foremost, and he probably could care less if he gets stuff flying over his head, and good for him.

But for those of us born British, it's not enough just to collect cash. We want the same as Johnny White, not because we are victims, but because we stand toe to toe, quite literally sometimes. Why would we take advice from those who despise their own people?

I'm not saying this is the case with Yasir, but there are some Asian cricketers in the UK who have suffered racism, mentioned it in the past many times off the record, but now when the time was right to speak up, they are silent and scared.

Which itself is a problem and a concern. How scared are they about speaking up? Is there a fear of retribution?

I didn't say he was racially abused though, I was talking about experiencing racism, and there's a subtle difference. As someone who has grown up in Pakistan, a lot of the more subtle stuff would just go right over his head. As a foreigner he's here to collect money first and foremost, and he probably could care less if he gets stuff flying over his head, and good for him.

But for those of us born British, it's not enough just to collect cash. We want the same as Johnny White, not because we are victims, but because we stand toe to toe, quite literally sometimes. Why would we take advice from those who despise their own people?

This is a brilliant post! Should end the thread.

Which itself is a problem and a concern. How scared are they about speaking up? Is there a fear of retribution?

You, me, we have all seen how Rafique is still being attacked, shamed, made to seem the bad guy and you wonder why people would be scared to speak out? The same happened in football and until the new gen, in particular the likes of Sterling and Rashford started to speak out and not shy away from negative publicity, have conversations broadened. Rafique is brave and so are those that may speak out from this point on.

Same thing applies. Let me tweak my response:

So in other words, you have either “experienced racism” or you are a liar. This is what classic victim mentality looks like. No wonder it is so deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK.

You, me, we have all seen how Rafique is still being attacked, shamed, made to seem the bad guy and you wonder why people would be scared to speak out? The same happened in football and until the new gen, in particular the likes of Sterling and Rashford started to speak out and not shy away from negative publicity, have conversations broadened. Rafique is brave and so are those that may speak out from this point on.

Rafiq was attacked and shamed because his hypocrisy and double-standards were exposed. People rallied behind him as if is the Martin Luther King Jr. against racism in English cricket but when his own past came to the fore, his supporters had nowhere to hide and Rafiq’s crusade against racism crashed harder than his rubbish cricket career and rightly so.

Rafiq was attacked and shamed because his hypocrisy and double-standards were exposed. People rallied behind him as if is the Martin Luther King Jr. against racism in English cricket but when his own past came to the fore, his supporters had nowhere to hide and Rafiq’s crusade against racism crashed harder than his rubbish cricket career and rightly so.

Don't be silly! No one rallied around Rafique as if he was MLK, what a nonsensical statement. It took him 3 years to even receive a positive headline.

And in what way has he been hypocritical? Are you going to claim his antisemitic comments? He was a teenager, happened a decade plus ago and he apologised as soon as it was revealed. Any, it's irrelevant as he himself has stated, as he did in front of the parliamentary committee, that's it's not about individuals (people make comments, they may make mistakes) but about institutional racism, something YCCC have now themselves admitted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
The simplest explanation here imo makes sense: that there is racism, prejudice and discrimination throughout the English game, but not every ethnic minority cricketer has experienced this or has been subject to it (or has not been aware of being such).

Same thing applies. Let me tweak my response:

So in other words, you have either “experienced racism” or you are a liar. This is what classic victim mentality looks like. No wonder it is so deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK.

Just repeating the same lame response doesn't make it any more accurate. No one is calling Yasir a liar, you are putting your own spin on it. Regardless of his experience (which I've given possible outliers for) it doesn't mean his experience is typical. Your claim that victim mentality is deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community is actually racist itself, thus proving my point if anything. :91:

Just as an aside, many immigrants who come to the UK are not really bothered about racism, they just put their heads down and get on with it, for them the opportunities outweigh a few hurt feelings, I already gave props to Yasir for this if that is the case. Pakistanis are actually a good example of this, you would probably get far more British born Pakistanis complaining about racism than those who actually come from Pakistan....but that is because they are British and have different expectations to immigrants.

The likes of CR and wokeness are in damage control mode. Immigrants who come to the UK are fully aware of the laws and play the game.

These so called immigrants can play the asylum and racist card because they are aware of the UK law. As the saying goes, if you know the law you can make it work for you.

Fact is the likes of CR who represent the woke left will label you a liar/racist if you disagree with them.

Simply put, Captain Rishwat is calling Yasir a liar. His excuses range from 5 star hotels, to Superstardom in a sub league. Masquerading the real light of racism. He was always ashamed of his heritage.

Do not let the multitude of paragraphs decieve you.

Bless.

:)

The likes of CR and wokeness are in damage control mode. Immigrants who come to the UK are fully aware of the laws and play the game.

These so called immigrants can play the asylum and racist card because they are aware of the UK law. As the saying goes, if you know the law you can make it work for you.

Fact is the likes of CR who represent the woke left will label you a liar/racist if you disagree with them.

Simply put, Captain Rishwat is calling Yasir a liar. His excuses range from 5 star hotels, to Superstardom in a sub league. Masquerading the real light of racism. He was always ashamed of his heritage.

Do not let the multitude of paragraphs decieve you.

Bless.

:)

The height of irony accusing me of labelling people as liars or racists while you yourself are labelling me a woke or left. This is what losers do when they can't actually make their point, turn it into a personal slanging match, which of course I won't indulge.

If you agree with [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] that victim mentality is deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK then just make your case, you don't need to shoot the messenger.

The height of irony accusing me of labelling people as liars or racists while you yourself are labelling me a woke or left. This is what losers do when they can't actually make their point, turn it into a personal slanging match, which of course I won't indulge.

If you agree with [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] that victim mentality is deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK then just make your case, you don't need to shoot the messenger.

Yes yes. We saw how you made your points. 5 star hotels and superstars in sub-low teams.

Before using the word irony, look it up then learn how to use it.

You have effectively denied Yasir's claim by stating he wouldn't know what racism is and thus is lying. You've tried to undermine his experience by comparing his experience to 2 weeks in a 5 star hotel with the red carpet treatment for a 'superstar'

Stop pretending racism is rampant in the UK - it's not

Yes yes. We saw how you made your points. 5 star hotels and superstars in sub-low teams.

Before using the word irony, look it up then learn how to use it.

You have effectively denied Yasir's claim by stating he wouldn't know what racism is and thus is lying. You've tried to undermine his experience by comparing his experience to 2 weeks in a 5 star hotel with the red carpet treatment for a 'superstar'

Stop pretending racism is rampant in the UK - it's not

I didn't say Yasir was lying, I said he was either being economical with the truth, or he quite possibly a lot of stuff just went over his head. He's an immigrant at the end of the day, he'll have bigger issues to worry about than what we perceive as racism.

I never said racism was rampant in the UK. If I did feel free to correct me and provide the quote.

Now please answer my previous question which you conveniently ignored: do you agree with [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]'s assertion that victim mentality is deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK?

I didn't say Yasir was lying, I said he was either being economical with the truth, or he quite possibly a lot of stuff just went over his head. He's an immigrant at the end of the day, he'll have bigger issues to worry about than what we perceive as racism.

I never said racism was rampant in the UK. If I did feel free to correct me and provide the quote.

Now please answer my previous question which you conveniently ignored: do you agree with [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]'s assertion that victim mentality is deeply ingrained in the Pakistani community in the UK?

'Economical with the truth' is a euphemism for lying.

'Stuff went over his head' is a euphemism for ignorance.

Whether he is an immigrant or not is irrelevant because you are blatantly trying to undermine his experience.

And yes I ignored your question because victim mentality is not relevant to the OP. Yasir is not playing the victim card Start another thread on Mamoon's point.

Last edited:
'Economical with the truth' is a euphemism for lying.

'Stuff went over his head' is a euphemism for ignorance.

Whether he is an immigrant or not is irrelevant because you are blatantly trying to undermine his experience.

And yes I ignored your question because victim mentality is not relevant to the OP. Yasir is not playing the victim card Start another thread on Mamoon's point.

I am not trying to undermine his experience, I am pointing out he is an immigrant because an immigrant has different expectations to someone who is a born Brit. You can deny it all you want, but it's an obvious truth.

It's also true that he is an international player vying his trade at lower level cricket so he will be the superstar player in Scotland or wherever he is playing. Which is all very nice, but how is it relevant to those who are competing at a much tougher level and who won't have the same clout?

He is speaking for himself, and as long as we don't try to make out that his experience is the norm, then that is absolutely fine.

I am not trying to undermine his experience, I am pointing out he is an immigrant because an immigrant has different expectations to someone who is a born Brit. You can deny it all you want, but it's an obvious truth.

It's also true that he is an international player vying his trade at lower level cricket so he will be the superstar player in Scotland or wherever he is playing. Which is all very nice, but how is it relevant to those who are competing at a much tougher level and who won't have the same clout?

He is speaking for himself, and as long as we don't try to make out that his experience is the norm, then that is absolutely fine.

Ok. Lets stop playing games.

You say Yasir is economical with the truth, what in your opinion is he hiding or refusing to reveal?

You claim stuff went over his head, what stuff?

The guy is 39 years old, played cricket in UK spanning 21 years - what has he got to gain by lying or playing the game as it were?

Ok. Lets stop playing games.

You say Yasir is economical with the truth, what in your opinion is he hiding or refusing to reveal?

You claim stuff went over his head, what stuff?

The guy is 39 years old, played cricket in UK spanning 21 years - what has he got to gain by lying or playing the game as it were?

Actually I realised he is talking about 21 years in terms of his cricket career, not general life, so it may well be that he hasn't experienced racism. If I'm not wrong, he is playing at club level and not first class cricket, in which case he would be one of the biggest stars in his league. It would be suicidal to rile him up, would be the equivalent of me telling KP he's a useless South African hack just before I stepped up to bowl to him.

Cricket Scotland will delay appointing a permanent chief executive officer until after the ongoing independent review into racism in Scottish cricket is published next month.

An anonymous consultation survey was launched in April as part of a wider consultation exercise currently being undertaken by Plan4Sport in the wake of former Scotland players Majid Haq and Qasim Sheikh alleging the governing body overseeing the sport in the country was "institutionally racist".

However, at this stage the Cricket Scotland board felt it was appropriate to pause the process until after the outcome of the independent review is known.

Interim chair of Cricket Scotland, Sue Strachan, said: "We interviewed several candidates late last month.

"However, as a board we were clear from the outset that we had to be absolutely sure that we were in a position to appoint the right person for this important role, particularly given the timing of the independent review into racism in Scottish cricket.

"After careful and lengthy consideration, the board has decided against making a permanent appointment at this time.

"Instead, we will wait for the independent review recommendations so that we are in the best possible position to appoint a candidate to lead our organisation during a period of real importance for Scottish cricket.

"Once the review is published, we will start a new recruitment process as a matter of priority."

In April, hundreds of people opened up about their experiences of discrimination and equality as part of an independent review into racism within Scottish cricket.

In November last year, Scotland's all-time leading wicket-taker Majid Haq claimed Cricket Scotland was "institutionally racist" after he and former team-mate Qasim Sheikh opened up about the abuse they suffered during their careers.

Majid Haq's lawyer Aamer Anwar tells Cricket Scotland 'actions speak louder than words' after admitting to racism within the sport
Cricket Scotland vowed to investigate and deal with any allegations of racism or harassment and an interim update on the review - of which full findings and recommendations will be shared by the end of July 2022 - has surfaced other issues including misogyny, leadership, and governance concerns within the sport.

Phil Yelland, the newly appointed president of Cricket Scotland, apologised to those who had suffered from racism or other forms of discrimination and stressed regaining the trust of those affected is "a key issue".

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Yelland said: "We have apologised and I would again apologise to those who have suffered racism in the sport because that's not right.

"The work that Plan4Sport are doing is really important because we need to get the full picture, not simply of racism but of other discrimination in the sport. And we need to be able to work on that and improve it, so the sport is welcoming for everybody who wants to be involved in it.

"I think it's important to say we've already started some work with EDI [equality, diversity and inclusion] training for board, council members and staff."

Yelland, who only assumed the role of president on April 12, added: "Rebuilding trust is absolutely a key issue for us. There is no doubt at all about that.

"We're looking for a new CEO and that is one of the things they clearly will be looking to do. Our interim CEO is already looking to do that, trying to reach out and engage with people who have had difficulties to try and start to rebuild that trust.

"Because without that trust you can't really make change."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...chief-executive-until-racism-review-published

Surrey have signed Yasir Arafat to join the coaching staff as a bowling consultant for the duration of the Royal London One Day Cup.
Arafat will support Interim Head Coach Gareth Batty whilst Azhar Mahmood works with the Oval Invincibles in the Hundred.

As a player, Arafat took over 1,400 wickets and scored more than 11,000 runs in all formats of the game. He spent a season at Surrey in 2011 where he took 49 wickets and scored 411 runs across all formats.

The former Pakistani all-rounder has spent time coaching around the world including working for the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash.

Yasir Arafat said “I’m looking forward to being part of one of the very best counties in England. Surrey CCC and the Royal London 50 over competition has always been very close to my heart. I hope to be a positive influence within the group.”

Alec Stewart, Director of Cricket at Surrey CCC, said “With Azhar Mahmood coaching at the Oval Invincibles in the Hundred it was important to bring someone in during our Royal London One Day Cup campaign who has very good white ball experience and knowledge to assist our squad and especially the bowlers. Yasir knows the club well and will fit into this role perfectly.”

Surrey’s Royal London One Day Cup campaign starts on 2 August against Leicestershire at Guildford.

https://www.kiaoval.com/yasir-arafat-joins-surreys-staff/

Yasir Arafat seems to be a well liked guy hence he wouldn’t notice much negativity, but not everyone comes across as likeable as he is.

Yasir Arafat always seemed like a very easygoing guy. So, I can see why he didn't experience racism.

I think a lot of the time racism happens due to the person's behavior.

Yasir Arafat always seemed like a very easygoing guy. So, I can see why he didn't experience racism.

I think a lot of the time racism happens due to the person's behavior.

I know, I was kicked and punched and called a **** because my behaviour.

Or it seems; he doesnt care a lot to him, what being said to him..And Sometime it clear communication barrier, and seems yasir just laugh and move on.

Arafat comments looking a bit discredited now.

Arafat comments looking a bit discredited now.
Yep, you are right
======
Cricket Scotland are under scrutiny again after a new report highlighted serious concerns about the governing body's culture and attitudes towards women.

It follows a damning review, published in 2022, which found the organisation to be institutionally racist.

The latest assessment - conducted by McKinney HR and commissioned by Cricket Scotland - has dealt another serious blow to the governing body.

It concluded that women have been 'treated differently from their male counterparts' and that 'specific needs of women are often dismissed or not considered'. This, it said, pointed to a 'sustained inequality throughout cricket in Scotland'.

It also found that sexism was 'very much in evidence' within the sport in Scotland, stating that 'antiquated attitudes and behaviour towards women in the game are still prevalent, particularly at club level'.

Recently-appointed Cricket Scotland CEO Trudy Lindblade (pictured) was scathing of what was uncovered. She issued a statement that said, in part: 'It is evident that Cricket Scotland allowed behaviours to take place that were disrespectful, demeaning and deeply concerning, and that these were allowed to continue for a significant period'

Source: Daily Mail

When I was studying in the UK, I experienced racism only once and I was their for 3 years.

Although Scotland is a different story, those people aren't the most welcoming, England was pretty chill though

When I was studying in the UK, I experienced racism only once and I was their for 3 years.

Although Scotland is a different story, those people aren't the most welcoming, England was pretty chill though

Racism is probably present in every country. Many desis are racists. Many blacks are racists. Many whites are racists. Many East Asians are racists.

Racism is probably present in every country. Many desis are racists. Many blacks are racists. Many whites are racists. Many East Asians are racists.
I haven't encountered any in Australia tbf, deapite it ironically being known as such

I too stay in aus.i can say it's quite subtle especially in government sector.mostly the English from management have it against anyone from subcontinent.
Tbf their way too many Chinese Australians in Sydney and at my workplace they still overshadow the aussies working their, many of em are also from NZ.

So I don't encounter that many Australians in my day to day life to notice.

But yeah, I am aware of certain aussies who act all high and mighty and it does bug me alot, but I don't engage with anyone outside my friend group at uni or at my workplace, I keep to myself.

Tbf their way too many Chinese Australians in Sydney and at my workplace they still overshadow the aussies working their, many of em are also from NZ.

So I don't encounter that many Australians in my day to day life to notice.

But yeah, I am aware of certain aussies who act all high and mighty and it does bug me alot, but I don't engage with anyone outside my friend group at uni or at my workplace, I keep to myself.
problem for me is am a manager in a government sector. So i have to deal with lots of old school protypes.More than Aussies, it's all uk people who will act wierd.

problem for me is am a manager in a government sector. So i have to deal with lots of old school protypes.More than Aussies, it's all uk people who will act wierd.
Oh ic, I'm sure governments have tons of behind the scenes controversy no doubt, but in my example, while I was in the UK visiting my khala, one uber driver refused to drive me claiming I should get out of the country and he can't drive me, I complained to uber and the guy did get laid off, as a driver he also had a review less then 2.5 stars which is usually a subject for termination.

One of the managers I spoke too straight up said that some people are absolutely insane but uber sadly has the worst track record for hiring employees since unlike taxi service, they don't hire professionals who undergo years of training, they hire amateurs who work their own hours and have bogus driving licenses and zero education in customer service which is something taxi drivers in the UK must go through.

Again not complaining since I have had multiple British uber drivers, and all of them were super nice and kind people making good conversation, the case I mentioned is clearly a massive outlier, but it did happen. Some people in this world are looney toons I swear.

As a Scotsman I disagree very strongly that Scotland is a less welcoming place than England. I faced a lot of racism growing up but now I find Scotland to be much better than my experiences in England. I've not faced a racist incident in Scotland in over a decade yet the last time I was in England I not only experienced but seen open racism with no one stepping forward to defend the victims.

As noted elsewhere a lot of racism can be subtle and the recipient might not even realise their race is being used to judge them or their work.

As a Scotsman I disagree very strongly that Scotland is a less welcoming place than England. I faced a lot of racism growing up but now I find Scotland to be much better than my experiences in England. I've not faced a racist incident in Scotland in over a decade yet the last time I was in England I not only experienced but seen open racism with no one stepping forward to defend the victims.

As noted elsewhere a lot of racism can be subtle and the recipient might not even realise their race is being used to judge them or their work.
I only visited Edinburgh and it was good but I knew a Scottish girl who was my flatmate. I have nothing against girls, and I don't buy into the racist Karen stereotype but oh boi, but again she's another putlier as every other flatmate, roommate, person I've met is great and has a great personality.

Regardless I think it depends person to person, in UK I studied in Brighton and it was the most friendliest place I've ever lived in, but London was a hot mess.

Racism is dependent on a person's personal experience and who they are lucky to meet and who they are unfortunate to meet.

Duplicate

100%, just avoid Drumchapel, Castlemilk, Easterhouse, Maryhill, Possilpark, Ruchill, Cumbernauld, Larkhall, Lanark and almost every ML postcode and you’re good to go.

I only visited Edinburgh and it was good but I knew a Scottish girl who was my flatmate. I have nothing against girls, and I don't buy into the racist Karen stereotype but oh boi, but again she's another putlier as every other flatmate, roommate, person I've met is great and has a great personality.

Regardless I think it depends person to person, in UK I studied in Brighton and it was the most friendliest place I've ever lived in, but London was a hot mess.

Racism is dependent on a person's personal experience and who they are lucky to meet and who they are unfortunate to meet.
To be fair I've met people like that everywhere. Edinburgh is definitely not representative of the rest of Scotland.

I've never been to Brighton but agree London was a nightmare!

In 21 years, Mr. Arafat; fresh off the boat, never understood a word of English :yk

100%, just avoid Drumchapel, Castlemilk, Easterhouse, Maryhill, Possilpark, Ruchill, Cumbernauld, Larkhall, Lanark and almost every ML postcode and you’re good to go.
There's a fair few more rough neighbourhoods to avoid (a lot of the east end of Glasgow) but generally people just leave you alone. It's nowhere near as bad as in my youth when people used to do more than just say a few bad words.

Back