Is a Persian Gulf model of inviting expatriate workers on short term contracts with non-citizen rights the way forward for UK as well?

Is a Persian Gulf model of inviting expatriate workers on short term contracts with non-citizen righ

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The right wing white supremacists have made a lot of hue and cry recently owing to increasing population of expatriates from other country. But at the same time they don't have enough population to feed the demands of labor force required by their different industries so is here a Persian Gulf model of inviting expatriate workers on short term contracts with non-citizen rights the way forward for uk as well?

What do you guys think? Or do you have a better solution too for this conundrum?

It might be a solution to avoid people moving permanently but in my past experience , these grievances have no policy solution. Theresa May was the most rabidly anti immigrant home secretary in the last 15 years but her solutions were mainly through policy, not angry speeches or culture wars. That was effective in cutting immigration numbers but the right wing media were not interested in it.

They want the theatrics, they want entertainment while also complaining about immigrants who would be around even if they didnt have a pathway to citizenship or permanent residence. That's why Trump and Brexit won. People were angry and discontent and these guys just posited very simplistic solutions and assuaged their anger.

This approach can ensure that the industries have the workers they need while there is no real concern about population growth in the UK and they do not have to grant them permanent citizenship as well.

But the people now will be more careful and hesitant to come after those riots and right-wing thugs attacking minorities and expatriates.

Yes. I think it is a fair and effective method.

I like the Persian model actually.

But, one issue is many may choose to overstay and UK may find it difficult to remove some of the overstayers.

Won't work for so many reasons.

1. Human Rights. Labourers can't be treated like they do in the Middle East (UAE countries).
2. We need a skilled work force for multiple industries. Skilled workers won't come for a short contract unless they're paid big money which would cause wage inflation.
3. Doctors, for example, qualified abroad would have to sit tests in the UK to be able to practice. Doctors in general have job security, to prize them away for short term contracts is going to be extremely difficult and expensive.

Above are just a few reasons

Not needed for all religions as only certain ethnic groups have proven to be problematic for Europe. I don’t think they would want to ban the brainy hindus of the Bharatiya kind like that or hard working Christian of the Philipino kind.

We should just stop all immigration and put the local population to work instead of handing out benefits to stay at home.
People talk about an ageing population, but just imagine the next few generation of youngsters, especially those that were conceived just so the parents can get a bigger house on benefits.

Not needed for all religions as only certain ethnic groups have proven to be problematic for Europe. I don’t think they would want to ban the brainy hindus of the Bharatiya kind like that or hard working Christian of the Philipino kind.

Brainy hindus are exactly the kind that need to be banned. The English want their country back, Tommy Robinson and his ilk don't want more hindu temples springing up, there are already too many, and in fact some of them came under attack from the patriotic locals of English stock. Those jobs in care homes that Indians and Phillipinos are taking should go to white people so the proud English can know that their elders are being cared for by their own.

The right wing white supremacists have made a lot of hue and cry recently owing to increasing population of expatriates from other country. But at the same time they don't have enough population to feed the demands of labor force required by their different industries so is here a Persian Gulf model of inviting expatriate workers on short term contracts with non-citizen rights the way forward for uk as well?

What do you guys think? Or do you have a better solution too for this conundrum?
Not sure this would work. The kind of talent that the UK wants to tempt away from the US are the highly qualified doctors, the technology guys...essentially the future Sundar Pichais, Satya Nadellas etc. who're looking for the whole package - opportunities, lifestyle, citizenship possibilities - the country would definitely be at a disadvantage. There's a reason none of the best quality talent from the subcontinent considerer the middle-east.

For the relatively lowerend skill groups like nurses perhaps it's a possibility but even for that talent, the country's in a bit of a seller's market.

I really don't think the UK has a problem with legal immigration.

I don’t see immigration as a major issue . There are nearly 900k jobs available in the uk . Some of the right wingers should be informed of this .

If people are coming to work & are able to do so, let them in from anywhere, any status . If not deport them to the country of arrival after a few months . You’ll have information on them, photo , dna , address etc .

We also have to remember British ironically caused many nations into poverty & instability . Many come from there .

It won't work here because as soon as people come,they realise that it's generally a good place to bring up children and will do everything to get them and keep them here. I know many families that had permanent residence in Spain,Italy, Netherlands Germany that have moved here.

Back