Is it fair for employers to cut your salary if you are working from home due to the pandemic?

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Canadians working from home permanently should expect salary changes: experts

TORONTO — When Mark Zuckerberg hosted a townhall in late May with Facebook's 48,000 employees, some were tuning in from new cities they had scrambled to move to as the pandemic hit.

Zuckerberg had a clear message for them: if you plan to stay, expect a change to your pay.

"That means if you live in a location where the cost of living is dramatically lower, or the cost of labour is lower, then salaries do tend to be somewhat lower in those places," he said on the video conference, where he announced more employees would be allowed to work remotely permanently.

Zuckerberg gave Canadian and American workers until Jan. 1, 2021 to inform the company about their location, so it can properly complete taxes and accounting and use virtual private network checks to confirm staff are where they claim.

The demand is part of a new reality Canadian workers are being confronted with as employers try to quell the spread of COVID-19 and increasingly consider making remote work permanent.

The shift means many companies are having to rethink salaries and compensation, while grappling with the logistics of a new work model.

Only one-third of Canadians working remotely expect to resume working from the office as consistently as they did pre-pandemic, while one-in-five say they will remain primarily at home, according to a June study from the Angus Reid Institute.

Like Facebook, Canadian technology companies Shopify Inc. and Open Text Corp. have already announced more employees will soon have the option to permanently work remotely.

Both declined interviews with The Canadian Press, but Richard Leblanc, a professor of governance, law and ethics at York University, said he wouldn't be surprised if their staff that relocate will see their pay change.

"It's inevitable because the cost and expense structure of work has changed," he said.

"If you, for example decide, that you could do the majority of your work from well outside the Greater Toronto Area...and you want to buy a home in Guelph or in Hamilton, should we expect the base salary for those individuals might change? Yes, because your cost of living has changed and your expenses have changed."

If companies calculate salaries properly, neither the business nor workers should feel their salary adjustments are unfair, Leblanc said.

However, figuring out what to pay staff transitioning to permanent remote work is tough, especially with a pandemic raging on and forcing some businesses to lay off workers or keep companies closed.

Owners have to consider what salaries will help them retain talent, but also how their costs will change if workers are at home.

Companies, for example, may be able to slash real estate costs because they don't need as much — or any — office space, but may now have to cover higher taxes, pay for their workers to buy desks or supplies for their homes or offer a budget for them to use on renting spaces to meet clients.

"(Businesses) are looking at every line item on their on their income statement....because they want to make sure they can survive and thrive over the long-term," said Jean McClellan, a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP's Canadian consulting practice.

Companies like GitLab, an all-remote company in San Francisco focused on tools for software developers, may offer some clues about how Canadian companies opting for permanent remote work can tackle salaries.

When GitLab started offering permanent remote work years ago it built a compensation calculator combining a worker's role and seniority with a rent index that correlates local market salaries with rent prices in the area.

Anyone can visit GitLab's site and plug in a role, experience level and location to find a salary.

GitLab's junior data engineers, for example, make between $50,936 and $68,913 if they live in Whitehorse, Yellowknife or Iqaluit, where the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation said the average rents for a two-bedroom home last October were $1,695, $1,100 and $2,678 respectively.

That salary shoots up to anywhere from $74,359 to $100,603 for those living in Toronto, Vancouver or Victoria, where CMHC reported the average rents for a two-bedroom home last October were $1,562, $1,748 and $1,448 respectively.

Leblanc warned that varying remote work salaries can create "a global competition for talent in an online world."

People who apply for permanent remote jobs, he said, may find their fighting for the role against far more people than ever before because companies will be able to source talent living anywhere in the world.

The companies that don't offer remote work at all could also find themselves at a disadvantage, if their industry starts to value flexibility and look less favourably at companies that don't offer it.

GitLab settled on its model and calculator because the company said they offer transparency and eliminate biases around race, gender or disabilities.

Its co-founder Sid Sijbrandij wrote in a blog that the calculator was dreamed up because every time he hired someone, there was a conversation around reasonable compensation.

The negotiation would usually revolve around what the person made beforehand, which was dependent on what city they were in. Gitlab scrapped that model in favour of the calculator and also started letting workers know if they move their salary could change.

However, GitLab acknowledges that many people see paying someone less for the same work in the same role regardless of where they live as "harsh." The company disagrees.

"We can't remain consistent if we make exceptions to the policy and allow someone to make greater than local competitive rate for the same work others in that region are doing (or will be hired to do)," it says.

"We realize we might lose a few good people over this pay policy, but being fair to all team members is not negotiable."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 21, 2020.

Companies in this story: (TSX: SHOP, TSX:OTEX)

Tara Deschamps, The Canadian Press

Link: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canadians-working-home-permanently-expect-140004651.html

Comments: My aunt in the US working for an architecture firm has faced 2 paycuts in the last 3 months and she claims to now be working at 70% of her original annual salary of $160,000. A few of my friends living in Canada are in the same boat where the employers have slashed their salaries as they are working from home.

I think its complete nonsense, rubbish and to me a lot of employers out there are taking unfair advantage of this pandemic by slashing employees pays or letting people go because they want to maintain the same profit margin's as previously.

In my view people should be paid based on the requirements of the job position, their skills, experience, talent, the value they bring to their entity, where someone lives was never a consideration.

I have got T2200 tax form from my employer for the past 3 years as I am working from home more than ever. But the savings from that form are not that good. If an employer thinks about cutting your salary then it makes more sense to resign and work as a contractor instead (self-employed or incorporated)

geographical adjustments are the norm. It is not equivalent to a salary cut per se. I took a role with a company in Seattle and moved from Chicago. The cost of living in Seattle is almost 3x with average 3000 sq ft house to be in 1.2-1.5M USD range. A 2 bed 1000 sq ft apartment in downtown Seattle would run you around $3500/month. So my salary is reflective of that. Had I stayed in Chicago even with the same company (or move to Chicago now), my salary would have been adjusted to the market rate. But it will happen over a period of time not suddenly. Top tier companies are competitive to hire the best talent, but they do keep prevailing wages in the location in mind.
We have see a lot of movement of people "back home" in my company especially singles. We have been notified to work from home until atleast October. If someone moves back to say Texas or Arizona or anywhere in midwest for a substantial amount of time ( I think 180 days), then their tax status changes and they have to pay taxes for the state they are residing in.

You are conflating multiple scenarios.
If a company is "adjusting" you pay due to you moving, that is 1 use case and I explained the rationale behind. Now your "aunt" making 160k for an architecture taking a pay cut is a different matter. Most probably that company has lost a lot of clients/business? and they are adjusting to that. I know someone who works for a truck manufacturer in the US. Their business has dropped substantially. The employees were given a choice to take pay cuts, or expect job cuts across the board. Guess what, they accepted the pay cuts.

BTW your aunt should still be thankful she has a job. 70% of 160k is still 3x the median household income of the United States :)

The salary is called compensation for a reason. It compensates you for the time you stay away from your home in office. If you get to stay at home, that part of the compensation should be taken away. If the employees feel they are being cheated, they are free to find another job.

BTW your aunt should still be thankful she has a job. 70% of 160k is still 3x the median household income of the United States :)

Not really. Median household income in the US is slightly less than $60,000.

geographical adjustments are the norm. It is not equivalent to a salary cut per se. I took a role with a company in Seattle and moved from Chicago. The cost of living in Seattle is almost 3x with average 3000 sq ft house to be in 1.2-1.5M USD range. A 2 bed 1000 sq ft apartment in downtown Seattle would run you around $3500/month. So my salary is reflective of that. Had I stayed in Chicago even with the same company (or move to Chicago now), my salary would have been adjusted to the market rate. But it will happen over a period of time not suddenly. Top tier companies are competitive to hire the best talent, but they do keep prevailing wages in the location in mind.
We have see a lot of movement of people "back home" in my company especially singles. We have been notified to work from home until atleast October. If someone moves back to say Texas or Arizona or anywhere in midwest for a substantial amount of time ( I think 180 days), then their tax status changes and they have to pay taxes for the state they are residing in.

You are conflating multiple scenarios.
If a company is "adjusting" you pay due to you moving, that is 1 use case and I explained the rationale behind. Now your "aunt" making 160k for an architecture taking a pay cut is a different matter. Most probably that company has lost a lot of clients/business? and they are adjusting to that. I know someone who works for a truck manufacturer in the US. Their business has dropped substantially. The employees were given a choice to take pay cuts, or expect job cuts across the board. Guess what, they accepted the pay cuts.

Its easier to say she should be thankful, she has a daughter suffering from mental health issues and a son and a husband who suffers from depression from time to time, medical costs aren't cheap. In my opinion when you put in 10-15 years in getting a masters, professional designations and are routinely working around the clock 10-12 hours per day, sometimes on the weekends, then you should be making bank like doctors do i.e. atleast $500,000 otherwise what is the point of studying this much and working these many hours for a professional field.

I know a driving instructor in Mississauga, this is probably a very extreme case as he is one of the best driving instructors in Canada where he gets a lot of high net worth clients from Pakistan, India and even local Canadians, he works from 9 to 5, his own hours, he doesn't have any employees, gets a lot of referrals, he lives life on his terms where he takes namaz breaks and makes sure he prays in a Mosque for all the prayers, stops for lunch breaks but after 6, he is done for the day and this guy in one good year made $400,000 plus.

In comparison there are some working professionals in Law, Accounting, Architecture who work insane long hours even on weekends and are not getting anywhere near that compensation and would kill to have the work life balance that this guy enjoys.

The salary is called compensation for a reason. It compensates you for the time you stay away from your home in office. If you get to stay at home, that part of the compensation should be taken away. If the employees feel they are being cheated, they are free to find another job.

But you are still working from home arent you lol? At home you have to deal with distractions as well. Maybe at senior levels people get accomodation, travel allowance but not at junior levels.

Interesting. Just looking at the UK property market perspective. Just wondering would people might want to move out of London now and buy cheaper properties now that they can mostly work from home?

Not really. Median household income in the US is slightly less than $60,000.

You are right. It is 63k!
For whatever reason, I was thinking it is around 45k. Chalo let me re-state my figures to 1.9x of median US household income.
Keep in mind when talking about household income, it is assumed to be combined salaries of both Hsuband & Wife (or same sex partner). Unfortunately you can no longer have a decent standard of living on a single income if you have a family.
In that context 115k for a single income is still fairly better than the rest of the country.

Its easier to say she should be thankful, she has a daughter suffering from mental health issues and a son and a husband who suffers from depression from time to time, medical costs aren't cheap. In my opinion when you put in 10-15 years in getting a masters, professional designations and are routinely working around the clock 10-12 hours per day, sometimes on the weekends, then you should be making bank like doctors do i.e. atleast $500,000 otherwise what is the point of studying this much and working these many hours for a professional field.

I know a driving instructor in Mississauga, this is probably a very extreme case as he is one of the best driving instructors in Canada where he gets a lot of high net worth clients from Pakistan, India and even local Canadians, he works from 9 to 5, his own hours, he doesn't have any employees, gets a lot of referrals, he lives life on his terms where he takes namaz breaks and makes sure he prays in a Mosque for all the prayers, stops for lunch breaks but after 6, he is done for the day and this guy in one good year made $400,000 plus.

In comparison there are some working professionals in Law, Accounting, Architecture who work insane long hours even on weekends and are not getting anywhere near that compensation and would kill to have the work life balance that this guy enjoys.

Your opinion and reality do not align unfortunately. Over a period last 3 decades, there has been a substantial drop in standard of living in the US. There is no corporate loyalty. They will cut your position in a heartbeat to meet the bottom line. Social security net has been gutted as well.

Your aunt still has a job which I am assuming comes with medical insurance which should cover majority if not all of her daughter's medical issues. I totally empathize with her predicament. but the alternative is no job and filing for unemployment benefits and having no med. insurance at all!

I work in the tech industry, our entry level engineers make 80k right out of school along with a good bit of company stock. on the flip side, my son's school teacher with a Master's degree and 200k in student loans has a salary of 50k. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

If you want to change that, become active politically and try to drive out corporatist politicians out and be prepared to have your taxes raised for all the benifits you want to pay the people.

Your opinion and reality do not align unfortunately. Over a period last 3 decades, there has been a substantial drop in standard of living in the US. There is no corporate loyalty. They will cut your position in a heartbeat to meet the bottom line. Social security net has been gutted as well.

Your aunt still has a job which I am assuming comes with medical insurance which should cover majority if not all of her daughter's medical issues. I totally empathize with her predicament. but the alternative is no job and filing for unemployment benefits and having no med. insurance at all!

I work in the tech industry, our entry level engineers make 80k right out of school along with a good bit of company stock. on the flip side, my son's school teacher with a Master's degree and 200k in student loans has a salary of 50k. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

If you want to change that, become active politically and try to drive out corporatist politicians out and be prepared to have your taxes raised for all the benifits you want to pay the people.
he is in Canada I think you cant get anymore welfare state than that

he is in Canada I think you cant get anymore welfare state than that

These issues are not exclusive to Canada either. I am in accounting and accountants start of $40,000-45,000 and sometimes even lower if you can't get into the Big 4 or mid sized firms. Once you get your designation after completing the working experience requirements and clearing the exams, then you can expect a jump to $60,000-$70,000 after 3-4 years.

There are a lot of expensive things in health care which the govt funded health care does not cover and ofcourse getting private health insurance is next to impossible if they find out you already have a medical issue.

I think this is against the law in the UK. Home workers salary cannot be lowered.

It depends on what job you are doing. Is it hourly or is it a fixed salary?

If it is salary, they shouldn't reduce payment.

And non of your top tier companies are doing any of that. The only scenario atleast for the US is if you permanently work remotely from a totally different geographical location. Then there is a a cost of living adjustment in your total compensation over a period of time.

what about the savings the company makes from having to rent a smaller office, not have to pay for utilities, food and insurance.

its a two way thing, there will definitely be adjustments made, but at the end of the day it will depend on how easily big corps can replace office workers with those willing to work from home, possibly from other poorer countries, and it will be very difficult to compete with that.

Interesting. Just looking at the UK property market perspective. Just wondering would people might want to move out of London now and buy cheaper properties now that they can mostly work from home?

most definitely, i live in London and its home so i wouldnt move out of my own choice unless i was desperate, but i know plenty of people who commute a significant distance, outside the city and for them wfh is ideal.

whilst most people wont consider it immediately i can see a future where people when they start families are more comfortable with leaving the city knowing they would only have to travel at max a day or two an week.

I agree with this to an extent. Quite a few companies in Canada, including one I work for, offer higher compensation to staff working and residing in areas like Toronto/GTA due to higher cost of living.

This staff usually does the same work as people residing in other areas of the country but get paid more for their place of residence. So yea I am all for stopping these people from gaming the system.

I wish i could somehow benefit from living in Toronto in the form of higher compensation. Have seen it yet

I wish i could somehow benefit from living in Toronto in the form of higher compensation. Have seen it yet

Well to date it is not a benefit as cost of living is indeed higher in places like Toronto and Vancouver compared to rest of Canada.

I'd point blank refuse and quit if made to.

I've done more hours at home than I would've otherwise. I feel many are similar. If the response to that is to dock salaries lmao bye bye.

I've done more hours at home than I would've otherwise. I feel many are similar. If the response to that is to dock salaries lmao bye bye.

Same, I feel I work much harder at work! However, I can't say bye, bye if our salarys are cut as the job market is tough out there and I am still a junior.

If you are able to do that than that’s great. The current economy and job market isn’t really conducive for most people to take that action.

If you are able to do that than that’s great. The current economy and job market isn’t really conducive for most people to take that action.

Which is why employers are taking advantage of the prevailing situation, in normal circumstances employers would think twice about doing something like this

This is all conjecture. No company (at least) in the US has cut wages or is planning on cutting wages just because you are remote.
If you are no longer residing in the same location as you were earlier, then it has Tax implications and the company can go ahead and adjust your wages to the market you are now in. But if you are just working remotely in the same location that you were previously in, there will be no change.
As I have mentioned earlier, we have entry level engineers that are paying 3000/month apartment rent in Seattle. I know one guy who terminated his lease and moved back to Boise Idaho to stay with his parents. Our company has notified us to expect to work remotely through October but it may become a more extended affair. By US Law, if you reside anywhere for more than 180 days, that becomes your residence and if that is in another state, you have to pay state income tax for that state (if applicable). Once you provide that info and it your permanent residence changes, the company can adjust your compensation based on the market rate prevalent in that area.
The original quote in the article from Zuckerberg alluded to just making sure you are in line with US/CA tax code, rest is pure conjecture.

Which is why employers are taking advantage of the prevailing situation, in normal circumstances employers would think twice about doing something like this

Yea I don’t know how prevalent this salary cut is. I have only heard of it happening to people who are choosing to reside in a different market from where they used to work.

Again, most industries other than high tech are also facing economic turmoil. I know quite a few people who have been permanently laid off. A salary cut in such a situation isn’t really the worse case scenario. Again, not really sure how many companies are actually doing that though.

This is all conjecture. No company (at least) in the US has cut wages or is planning on cutting wages just because you are remote.
If you are no longer residing in the same location as you were earlier, then it has Tax implications and the company can go ahead and adjust your wages to the market you are now in. But if you are just working remotely in the same location that you were previously in, there will be no change.
As I have mentioned earlier, we have entry level engineers that are paying 3000/month apartment rent in Seattle. I know one guy who terminated his lease and moved back to Boise Idaho to stay with his parents. Our company has notified us to expect to work remotely through October but it may become a more extended affair. By US Law, if you reside anywhere for more than 180 days, that becomes your residence and if that is in another state, you have to pay state income tax for that state (if applicable). Once you provide that info and it your permanent residence changes, the company can adjust your compensation based on the market rate prevalent in that area.
The original quote in the article from Zuckerberg alluded to just making sure you are in line with US/CA tax code, rest is pure conjecture.

The article clearly states that it's not about just adjusting the state taxes only, but also the pays being received by the employee because he is now living in a different location

The article clearly states that it's not about just adjusting the state taxes only, but also the pays being received by the employee because he is now living in a different location

And that has nothing to do with working remotely or companies taking advantage. It is standard practice (I have mentioned it previously as well) and called cost of living adjustment. My company has global presence. I have an opportunity to take a new role in Luxembourg, however I will have to take a 20% pay cut. Same role is available in London, and I will get a 8-12% increase in my current compensation however cost of living is going to be much higher in london. Similarly if I move to NYC, LA, SFO I will get a bump and will take a hit if I move to Chicago, Austin, Houston or Florida. It is standard practice.

And that has nothing to do with working remotely or companies taking advantage. It is standard practice (I have mentioned it previously as well) and called cost of living adjustment. My company has global presence. I have an opportunity to take a new role in Luxembourg, however I will have to take a 20% pay cut. Same role is available in London, and I will get a 8-12% increase in my current compensation however cost of living is going to be much higher in london. Similarly if I move to NYC, LA, SFO I will get a bump and will take a hit if I move to Chicago, Austin, Houston or Florida. It is standard practice.

Well then, if this is standard practice, can you blame someone for moving elsewhere for a better package? I remember when the US govt gave a bail out package to the banks, investment banking firms with stringent conditions on bonuses, compensation for senior and middle management, they all protested that this would lead to a massive talent deficit.

Lol I dont really, in a grad role atm. But there'd be a point where I'd just say screw this. I have to keep some level of self respect. Docking an already modest pay when my profession is probably busier than normal in some aspects would be a gigantic eff you and would definitely kill any intention I had to stay on after my oontract expires in a couple years.

Pay has been frozen, which is fair enough for now. But deducted? Haha nah, not when the firm has a value probably in the tens if not hundreds of billions.

All jhypothetical of course

Lol I dont really, in a grad role atm. But there'd be a point where I'd just say screw this. I have to keep some level of self respect. Docking an already modest pay when my profession is probably busier than normal in some aspects would be a gigantic eff you and would definitely kill any intention I had to stay on after my oontract expires in a couple years.

Pay has been frozen, which is fair enough for now. But deducted? Haha nah, not when the firm has a value probably in the tens if not hundreds of billions.

All jhypothetical of course

This ^^^^^

People in England should work from home "if they can" to reduce social mixing and slow the spread of the virus, Michael Gove has said.

The Cabinet Office Minister also told BBC Breakfast trials of spectators at sports fixtures would be "paused".

It comes as pubs, bars, restaurants and other hospitality venues in England are told they must have a 22:00 closing time from Thursday.

Full details will be set out by the prime minister in Parliament later.

Boris Johnson is meeting the first ministers of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and will address the nation in a live broadcast at 20:00 BST on Tuesday

Nearly three-quarters of London’s workers would rather quit their jobs than return to the office full-time, a survey revealed, with many demanding inflation-busting pay hikes to give up their right to flexible working.

The research by Bloomberg Intelligence found that employees in the capital are confident in their bargaining power amid a tight labor market and widespread working-from-home following the Covid pandemic.

In a survey of 500 office workers in the capital, 73% said they’d seek alternative employment if told to work five days a week on-site. Four in 10 of those workers would need a raise of at least 16% to reconsider their position.

Higher-paid staff were more likely to push for even bigger raises if told to give up home-working, BI said.

The cost of commuting was cited by over-two thirds of the workers as a key reason for not traveling into the office. Rail fares will rise by as much as 5.9% in England next month.

Over 95% of respondents said that they are allowed to work from home at least some of the time, the survey said.

Bloomberg

The genie is out of the bottle. There was No way I could do my current job before the pandemic as the travelling costs made it unworkable. Flexi working has given me more scope and opportunities. Also we can now hire from all over the uk as flexi working means we get more applications. I would never go back to the old ways..

The genie is out of the bottle. There was No way I could do my current job before the pandemic as the travelling costs made it unworkable. Flexi working has given me more scope and opportunities. Also we can now hire from all over the uk as flexi working means we get more applications. I would never go back to the old ways..

People are able to now accept foreign and distant job opportunities because of the ability to work from home. This was unthinkable before the pandemic.

Easiest way for Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis to takeover the western jobs if the remote working continues.

Let’s see if they can, but yeah I don’t go much anymore, sometimes not even once week.

Market to be super competitive and corporations will find loopholes soon.

No it is not fair and here's why.

In my industry (IT), the fact I am not travelling means I am no loner working 9 to 5.

However the fact I am working at home means more than often I cannot refuse an 8AM meeting or a 6PM meeting because I am at home, and reality is I do not mind.

So working from home may save you costs and time on travel, but it also means you are available for longer hours.

It is definitely not fair to cut salaries for working from home. My company doesn't do it thankfully.

I work from home. I hope they will keep it like this for as long as possible.

No it is not fair and here's why.

In my industry (IT), the fact I am not travelling means I am no loner working 9 to 5.

However the fact I am working at home means more than often I cannot refuse an 8AM meeting or a 6PM meeting because I am at home, and reality is I do not mind.

So working from home may save you costs and time on travel, but it also means you are available for longer hours.

Don't know why anybody would to schedule a meeting for those times. At least let people come in and get settled in or out of their beds and fire up a brew if working from home. :))

It is definitely not fair to cut salaries for working from home. My company doesn't do it thankfully.

I work from home. I hope they will keep it like this for as long as possible.

As well as keeping the salaries the same or giving us more, they should pay us for our electricity usage or any other expenses we may incur.

Don't know why anybody would to schedule a meeting for those times. At least let people come in and get settled in or out of their beds and fire up a brew if working from home. :))

Well, if you're working for a global company, meetings are often scheduled outside of GMT/BST timezone.

This is simple logic.

I think its entirely fair for companies to cut wages for wfh to adjust for cost of living. You cant work in some far flung places in Midwest and expect NYC or SFO salaries. That’s kinda unfair on the employees who actually live, pay super high rents and commute to the workplace in the city.

If people living in the city get a markup salary adjusted for cost of living, surely people wfh full time should get a markdown in salaries. Thats only fair.

I think its entirely fair for companies to cut wages for wfh to adjust for cost of living. You cant work in some far flung places in Midwest and expect NYC or SFO salaries. That’s kinda unfair on the employees who actually live, pay super high rents and commute to the workplace in the city.

If people living in the city get a markup salary adjusted for cost of living, surely people wfh full time should get a markdown in salaries. Thats only fair.

That would be reasonable but this is more about employees who were working in the office, but now permanently working from home even within commuting distance.

That would be reasonable but this is more about employees who were working in the office, but now permanently working from home even within commuting distance.

If you are permanently wfh, why would you stay close to a big city and pay those ridiculous prop taxes/home rents? Better move out entirely and you would do well even with a pay cut.

If I was wfh permanently i would totally move out of metro NYC area, but unfortunately not many in finance have that option anymore.

Last edited:
If you are permanently wfh, why would you stay close to a big city and pay those ridiculous prop taxes/home rents? Better move out entirely and you would do well even with a pay cut.

If I was wfh permanently i would totally move out of metro NYC area, but unfortunately not many in finance have that option anymore.
Why would you leave nyc?

NYC itself is a big dump these days. Smell of weed everywhere + crime through the roof. People scared of even taking the subway to work. Nobody wants to work in the city anymore (i myself had enough and moved out to a suburban satellite office and couldn’t be happier)

The tri-state area also has very high property taxes and a big shortage of real estate inventory which has kept house prices still very high. All in all, i wouldn’t mind selling my house and moving to a quieter place with great schools.

Back