Is it high time to name Naseem Shah as Pakistan's next white ball captain?

Is it high time to name Naseem Shah as Pakistan's next white ball captain?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Humiliations in T20 World Cup 2024 are about to end as we are nearing an early exit. But what about Champions Trophy 2025 at home turf? Certainly we can't bear this nonsense performances there.

For Pakistan we don't need a below average or bang average captain anymore. Rizwan no doubt is a decent PSL same goes for Shadab and others but now we need an X factor guy like Naseem Shah who can lead the team from the front. And also a guy like him won't celebrate team failures with cake celebrations. Instead will pour his heart and put his body on line only for the sake of team success.

Humiliations in T20 World Cup 2024 are about to end as we are nearing an early exit. But what about Champions Trophy 2025 at home turf? Certainly we can't bear this nonsense performances there.

For Pakistan we don't need a below average or bang average captain anymore. Rizwan no doubt is a decent PSL same goes for Shadab and others but now we need an X factor guy like Naseem Shah who can lead the team from the front. And also a guy like him won't celebrate team failures with cake celebrations. Instead will pour his heart and put his body on line only for the sake of team success.
He has my vote

@ElRaja mentioned he thought he would make a good captain and he is generally spot on about things.

However the team is in decline. The person in the hot seat will have to deal with expectations that are way higher than the teams capability.

Captaincy should not never be handed like this to your performer. When Babar was given captaincy. He was given so because of his performances. Not because he was ready to be as a captain.

When will our fans learn that not every performer should be captain. You'll be doing great injustice to both Pakistan Cricket further and Naseem Shah. Because Naseem doesn't have one bit of experience as captain. Not even in domestic Cricket.

More than captaincy we need 3 4 quality players specially the allrounders period.

How about you give Shaheen a proper chance to lead this side?
Definitely. He's one of your better options from here on. You can make him your white ball captain and you should also announce a young voice captain aho you think can be a great captain if groomed for Pakistan in the future.

May be SSA is the way to go but then again what will you do with Babar, he has to leave the t20 side otherwise the toxicity of having an ex will continue.

Definitely. He's one of your better options from here on. You can make him your white ball captain and you should also announce a young voice captain aho you think can be a great captain if groomed for Pakistan in the future.
I’m only saying this because OP suggested a fast bowler who managed to bowl well in NY and scored 10 runs off 4 balls (like some tailenders do every now and then). If you are going to use this performance to propel him as a leadership candidate, then you should give Shaheen the fair chance to lead. He actually has 2 PSL trophies to his name as a leader

Maybe in a few more years, right now Naseem himself doesn't exude confidence in his own ability. He has the tools to be one of the best pace bowlers in the world but he still seems to bowl cautiously and needs to up his aggression levels to reflect his role.

Captaincy should not never be handed like this to your performer. When Babar was given captaincy. He was given so because of his performances. Not because he was ready to be as a captain.

When will our fans learn that not every performer should be captain. You'll be doing great injustice to both Pakistan Cricket further and Naseem Shah. Because Naseem doesn't have one bit of experience as captain. Not even in domestic Cricket.
The ideal candidate is Muhammad haris, as much as people wish to complain about his performances, Sarfraz worked because he had won Under 19 and in domestic captaincy he was constantly winning.

The fact that his psl record was amazing as a captain, being finalists 2x in 2016 and 2017 and only being hard done by the fact that the entire QG teamed walked out cause final was in Pakistan was the cause of losses. And then winning it in 2019.

Whether he was a bad player or not didn't matter, as to this date his best captaincy record for psl, best captaincy record for t20, Ct 2017 win, under 19 win and a plethora of domestic tournament captaincy wins stands firm and in place. While babar irrespective of personal performances can't even win local leagues and local domestic, psl aur international door ki baat hai.

Haris winning and dominating the acc Cup where besides India, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and Bangaldesh were mostly at full strength and it was their A team through and through should have been enough to justify captaincy towards him.

Lad has the right intent and he's extremly aggressive and stubborn beyond belief, he has no qualms on just kicking parchi's out and giving them a boot. As much as people hate stubborn and mean captains, Pakistani players aren't as mature as Australian players where even if some of em hate each other like stark, they put it aside.

Theirs a reason YK was the most succeaful captains ever since the dawn of the 21st century. Oathgate aside, he was needed. Haris is the same, Dude has one heck of a ghusa.

Him not bowing down to wahab and giving him the middle finger and not caring anymore shows why he is the right one. Every other softie would have apologised and licked boots again

I’m only saying this because OP suggested a fast bowler who managed to bowl well in NY and scored 10 runs off 4 balls (like some tailenders do every now and then). If you are going to use this performance to propel him as a leadership candidate, then you should give Shaheen the fair chance to lead. He actually has 2 PSL trophies to his name as a leader
Nope he was good in game against Canada too and about captaincy sometimes its more about someone who could lead from the front rather than rooming around and merry making when your team need you the most.

He is a clutch player too and also with him being in charge we could curb the negative influences of LQ and PZ lobby i believe

Being a captain is a leadership role, not something you simply hand out to your best player as a matter of course.
This fundamental issue seems to be alien to Pakistan cricket culture.
Urooj Mumtaz spoke well about this yesterday — so little premium is placed on leadership in Pakistan vs other cricket playing countries.
Babar is a fine player and an atrocious captain — his deficiencies are shown up most in Test cricket which requires more decision making.
The PCB have no succession planning in place, a failed organisation in a failing state.

Maybe in a few more years, right now Naseem himself doesn't exude confidence in his own ability. He has the tools to be one of the best pace bowlers in the world but he still seems to bowl cautiously and needs to up his aggression levels to reflect his role.
Yea. He needs some time to work exclusive on his own craft as a pacer. He's still young so there's plenty of time for other things, including captaincy.

YES. A deserving promotion it will be. And also a solution to the captainship issues.

And no stone should be left unturned to promote and advertise him as THE YOUNGEST fastest bowling skipper after promoting him day and night as the youngest fastest bowler in the world.
:inti

If he’s made captain, Babar, Rizwan and their kin have to be dumped out.

Can’t have these seniors with strings attached around if you want to elevate a youngster to power.

They gotta go. Give him a fresh batch and then time to settle in.

He is too young! SMH 🤦🏽 sorry to pop your bubble that this won’t happen. It will be Rizwan

If he’s made captain, Babar, Rizwan and their kin have to be dumped out.

Can’t have these seniors with strings attached around if you want to elevate a youngster to power.

They gotta go. Give him a fresh batch and then time to settle in.
Yep it should be so, like Rashid Khan and Cummins he will do great too i believe

The ideal candidate is Muhammad haris, as much as people wish to complain about his performances, Sarfraz worked because he had won Under 19 and in domestic captaincy he was constantly winning.

Lad has the right intent and he's extremly aggressive and stubborn beyond belief, he has no qualms on just kicking parchi's out and giving them a boot. As much as people hate stubborn and mean captains, Pakistani players aren't as mature as Australian players where even if some of em hate each other like stark, they put it aside.

Theirs a reason YK was the most succeaful captains ever since the dawn of the 21st century. Oathgate aside, he was needed. Haris is the same, Dude has one heck of a ghusa.

Him not bowing down to wahab and giving him the middle finger and not caring anymore shows why he is the right one. Every other softie would have apologised and licked boots again

This is so important. In a country where everyone thinks they should be captain it takes someone with not only intelligence, but also genuine leadership qualities which go above self interest. One of the reasons why Pakistan's most successful era was under Imran Khan, the greatest leader of all time.

This is so important. In a country where everyone thinks they should be captain it takes someone with not only intelligence, but also genuine leadership qualities which go above self interest. One of the reasons why Pakistan's most successful era was under Imran Khan, the greatest leader of all time.
It's because our players are ego heads but secretly their mental midgets and cowards through and through. Meak men in the end.

Before Warner got banned for a year and returned as a saint the whole aussie team didn't like him, dude picked way too many fights and besides finch he didn't gell well with others however it didn't stop micheal clarke from playing him, Micheal clarke made it very clear, unless you have another gilchrist type player waiting to open, Warner plays. Although warmer is kind and a saint now though

Similarly stark no one likes. Even in 2023 wc he ended up shouting live to his players for a midfield where he said " WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" but again they play him cause he's come through for Australia so many times.

They don't believe in the whole babar culture of I won't play abrar over shadab because I hate him nonsense.

Lastly aussie mentality, these boys are immune to insults or pressure. Pakistani boys are all talk but the moment apmething happens they start tearing up live on tv and are just to meager.

It's why unfortunately you can't have chill and cool captains like pat Cummings for Pakistan, You need someone like Imran Khan and younis khan as captains.

Sarfraz wasn't a mean captain beyond shouting at players in the field but that's why he ended up loosing it. Misbah took over and dogwalked him and sarfi was too weak to fight back, whereas someone like YK was historically known for walking all over misbah even in 2015.

Sarfraz gelled because azhar Ali and fakhar are shariff, Hafeez and malik felt comfortable and matured hone were the days of hafeez being stubborn, and imad didn't show attitude cause sarfi played with him in u19, only hasan Ali was hard to handle, Junaid and Amir also brushed it aside and showed professionalism.

And lastly mickey Arthur was their to remove shehzad and shut him up

But as soon as Bobby developed ego, and these chacha and other ego heads like shehzad and Umar akmal came back And then we had rizwan enter with his own ego. Sarfi was never gonna work because misbah wouldn't let it. And then now babar doesn't let someone like Gary take over.

Unless you have someone like YK, who is gonna threaten you with a knife or will literally sock you in the mouth for talking back to him like a classic bollywood villian, no captain will improve anything, they'll choose a crap team with crap fitness with neptositc selections and show absolutely no chance of any improvement.

Naseem shouldn't be given the captaincy at this stage of Pakistan cricket. Infact I want Babar to continue until this regime in PCB exists. Right now PCB is very politically driven like the rest of the country and hence we are seeing these results. I want Naseem to remain as far from this corrupt power circle as possible for him to remain respected.

Personal opinion I thought Rizwan rejected the captaincy due to corrupt power circle in PCB as well and wanted to remain controversy free as indulging with corrupt power individuals means indulging in controversies.

Inshallah once we get rid of corrupt power circle in PCB we can start rewarding deserving players and root out those players who play better on media than on cricket field

Bro - i don't know if you are serious or joking but this is such a terrible terrible idea. See that's the thing with pak supporters sometimes- just emotional and no long term viable success strategy. A quick fix for everything.

Naseem is a bowler with injury issues and you want to make him captain?? Another new Captain in an year?? Gove gary Kirsten the time- let him mould the team - give him some breathing space and then judge hi.

Resounding YES!

He is young.
He is passionate.
He has aggression.
He can bat too.
He is a good human being.

He will learn tactics on the job!

Pakistan's best captains have ironically been bowlers!

If he retires from Test Cricket then sure. You can’t have a bowler as a captain in this day and age.

They’ll be playing 3 formats + franchise leagues.

I’d give the captaincy to Fakhar Zaman.

This guy is the only one that is suited to modern day cricket, he’s the only one that knows how cricket should be played. Give him all the power and watch our fitness standards improve, our batsman will no longer play defensively, and most importantly they’ll play for the badge.

How can people say he's not ready yet? Babar wasn't ready either, but everyone tolerated his poor captqincy for the last five years.

Make naseem captain and bring in Kirsten to train him To be a top captain

Dismiss the current team and build a new one around Naseem Shah with young players.

Give Kirsten full authority to select this young team from our domestic circuit.

I wouldnt wantr him to be captain because he's going to stay at no 8 and occasionally move himself up the order when the dude can't bat. I've realized his rare good outings with the bat are flukes because he only has that one slog to midwicket, which even USA snuffed out and toyed with him. He thinks he's a genuine all-rounder (his words) but he's a typical tailender who can hit a couple of shots SOMETIMES. Naseem and Amir are superior batsmen.

At the same time, however, I don't know who should be captain then. It is fair to give it to Shaheen but I also don't mind Saud Shakeel or M Haris being tried. I can't believe I almost supported Rizwan being captain after the PSL. Even supported Shadab as captain but I genuinely thought that could work but he doesn't deserve a spot on the team anymore. I don't mind giving a year or two to Imad Wasim

If he retires from Test Cricket then sure. You can’t have a bowler as a captain in this day and age.

This guy is the only one that is suited to modern day cricket, he’s the only one that knows how cricket should be played. Give him all the power and watch our fitness standards improve, our batsman will no longer play defensively, and most importantly they’ll play for the badge.
I agree. We need to stop thinking about making our pacers captain. We don't have a Cummins in our rank who is super fit and works on himself, and is more than handy with the bat. If Shaheen is captain, he'll play all games which would be no different than when Babar destroyed him by playing him in everything even when he's not fully fit. Naseem just returned from injury and he should be used smartly too.

I don't dislike the idea of making Fakhar captain. Didn't even think of it. He should be given the keys

How can people say he's not ready yet? Babar wasn't ready either, but everyone tolerated his poor captqincy for the last five years.

Dismiss the current team and build a new one around Naseem Shah with young players.

Give Kirsten full authority to select this young team from our domestic circuit.
Yep he needs to be elevated for that role as he isn't part of any grouping so far. And the way he became emotional tonight just shows that team success not individual brilliance matters most to him.

We have been looking for such a guy for quite some time now.

I agree. We need to stop thinking about making our pacers captain. We don't have a Cummins in our rank who is super fit and works on himself, and is more than handy with the bat. If Shaheen is captain, he'll play all games which would be no different than when Babar destroyed him by playing him in everything even when he's not fully fit. Naseem just returned from injury and he should be used smartly too.

I don't dislike the idea of making Fakhar captain. Didn't even think of it. He should be given the keys

The thing I like about Fakhar is that he’s well spoken…he knows how to back his teammates, he’ll never throw anyone under the bus and he’ll always take the blame before anyone else. When Azam Khan was being called a parchi in the PC, it was him who stood up for Azam, he didn’t have to but it shows you a guy that will do anything for his teammates

Fakhar should be dropped now from T20.

He will be 36 by the time of the next WC.

In all formats or T20. I don't mind him as a leader but I don't want him playing against Uganda and wasting himself.

Can’t drop your best T20 player, he may have failed as an opener but he’s done well in the middle order.

He’ll be 36 but he’s got the fitness of a 30 year old.

Problem is he's injury prone, and he's too nice. Under Kristen yes he can work well and function well as Kristen won't have an issue dealing with ego's and naseem will let him, unlike Bobby who barks back, naseem will be ready to get mentored. He also cares deeply about Pakistan cricket unlike the other clowns excluding fakhar who gives it his all, everyone else has their own agendas though.

The main problem is, he isn't headstrong like pat Cummings and unlike pat Cummings who doesn't have to deal with his players being crazy in the head, Pakistan players are insane.

YK, IK and sarfraz could control the social media thing and could stop unnecessary celebrations and bark when needed to keep ego in check, Naseem can't.

For naseem to function you'll have to kick out everybody except the shariff boys like Fakhar. Even abrar has an ego, and while abrar is great as a spinner, he won't gell well with the others.

Very tall task to hope for 15 fakhar level mentality players where all of them are aggressive with the bat and ball but overall shariff bachei personality wise where naseem can work

I think fakhar might be older tbh. He was born in kyber pakhtun to a farmer dad, often times these boys have age fudged.

When fakhar made his debut, I thought he was 30 not 27. Granted I don't think he's age fudged to the insane extent that afghani players have, but his real age is probs 39 next wc.

I think fakhar might be older tbh. He was born in kyber pakhtun to a farmer dad, often times these boys have age fudged.

When fakhar made his debut, I thought he was 30 not 27. Granted I don't think he's age fudged to the insane extent that afghani players have, but his real age is probs 39 next wc.
He was ex navy so unlikely to have fudged a great deal ( if any).

Fair I didn't know he was ex navy.
most of the players who fudge do so because they want to play age group cricket.

i think fakhar joined the navy when he was 16/17. Age group cricket wasn't really on the agenda.

He made his fc debut when 23/24. I think hes legit.

I wouldn't be totally against him being in the team like @YousafTheBeast but at his age I think the aim should be to retire after the champions trophy next year and play franchise for a bit.

most of the players who fudge do so because they want to play age group cricket.

i think fakhar joined the navy when he was 16/17. Age group cricket wasn't really on the agenda.

He made his fc debut when 23/24. I think hes legit.

I wouldn't be totally against him being in the team like @YousafTheBeast but at his age I think the aim should be to retire after the champions trophy next year and play franchise for a bit.
No I agree with you, I think ct 2025 should be it for him as well.

I was just wondering what his age was, but navy man is nice, strong lad and very good genes even at 16.

May be SSA is the way to go but then again what will you do with Babar, he has to leave the t20 side otherwise the toxicity of having an ex will continue.
He must leave either way. He will never give any other captain his support, so be done with him. We don’t need his silky drives

Problem is he's injury prone, and he's too nice. Under Kristen yes he can work well and function well as Kristen won't have an issue dealing with ego's and naseem will let him, unlike Bobby who barks back, naseem will be ready to get mentored. He also cares deeply about Pakistan cricket unlike the other clowns excluding fakhar who gives it his all, everyone else has their own agendas though.

The main problem is, he isn't headstrong like pat Cummings and unlike pat Cummings who doesn't have to deal with his players being crazy in the head, Pakistan players are insane.

YK, IK and sarfraz could control the social media thing and could stop unnecessary celebrations and bark when needed to keep ego in check, Naseem can't.

For naseem to function you'll have to kick out everybody except the shariff boys like Fakhar. Even abrar has an ego, and while abrar is great as a spinner, he won't gell well with the others.

Very tall task to hope for 15 fakhar level mentality players where all of them are aggressive with the bat and ball but overall shariff bachei personality wise where naseem can work

The first sentence sums it up nicely. He needs to have more of a shark mentality, his bowling has lots of menace but his mentality doesn't match it. He might develop it, but to be Pakistan captain you need a ruthless streak and I haven't seen that yet.

The first sentence sums it up nicely. He needs to have more of a shark mentality, his bowling has lots of menace but his mentality doesn't match it. He might develop it, but to be Pakistan captain you need a ruthless streak and I haven't seen that yet.
All my posts start like this bro.

Premise at the start, reading the rest is optional, don't wanna make people suffer, but don't wanna deny the reading enthusiasm either.

the only player who has brains to captain is Shan Masood. But his performances were so inconsistent you cant even have him in playing 11 either in limited overs. Although he would have been a decent option in middle order in these conditions

Plain stupidity. Let the guy establish himself, and improve his skill set as a bowler, and get more consistency.

For me Rizwan is the best choice to captain the side.

It's high time Pak changes its hero, it's poster boy, and shift to it's NEXT all format bestest player in the world hype machine.

The current product Zimbar has been a big failure bar Zim. :inti

Pakistan literally has no bench strength for the last decade or so? PCB has been shuffling the same crop of players. Bringing back Amir and Imad was a horrible horrible step.

No change in captaincy will change that.

the only player who has brains to captain is Shan Masood. But his performances were so inconsistent you cant even have him in playing 11 either in limited overs. Although he would have been a decent option in middle order in these conditions

He is not even a batsman, just another one of the nepotism favourites like Azam Khan. These players would be nowhere near the team without their connections. Shan Masood is an intelligent guy, but would you give an international batting spot to a university professor?

changing captain on top of this kinda set up is like replacing the cherry on a giant turd cake. rather than improving the team, the team would destroy the captain, which is what i said in the other thread @DeadlyVenom

naseem is a really nice guy, who seems to have little interest in politics. i hope he has a great league career and makes tonnes of money, he should show up and do his best for Pakistan, but trying to fix this mess is beyond him.

I would ask shaheen to captain a new t20 side till next worldcup . Babar Rizwan Ifti imad amir shadab shouldn’t be in t20 squad anymore

Don't think anything will happen. The focus will shift to test series vs Bangladesh after this.

And Shan will become the new joker in the news.

I don't think his name would be in contention as the next white ball captain of team Pakistan at the moment but in a few years time we may see him getting that role. At the moment, Rizwan looks like the best option.

Injuries are a concern, but I'm not against him becoming captain in all three formats for the long term. He has a fighting spirit, which is good for the team.

Of all those calling him an injury prone, must keep this thing in mind that Cummins is also a pacer, Wasim was also a pacer, IK and Kapil was also from the same niche. So it's not a big deal
You want to make an injury prone guy the captain?

This is a joke!

Usually when one of my teams (Corporate) is in a bit of chaos and dysfunction in the way the Pakistan Manager currently, I try to look for a 'process' leader rather than a 'results' leader. An individual who insists on the basics, follow your process, results will come in time kind of person who at a personal level projects the calm and disciple you want to see in the team.

Dhoni is an example that comes to mind in a cricket context.

The big passionate personalities can work or fail but the calm back to basics guy is more likely to bring the team out of a crisis.

I don't know if Pakistan has someone like that today - Misbah, Sarfaraz stuck me as those types in the pat i.e. not the fiery inspirational Imran Khan type leaders but the not get easily rattled calm leaders. If there's no one readily available, the alternate is to appoint a coach with that approach and let the captain be an extension of him.

He is not even a batsman, just another one of the nepotism favourites like Azam Khan. These players would be nowhere near the team without their connections. Shan Masood is an intelligent guy, but would you give an international batting spot to a university professor?
if he can bat better than Azam Khan, which is a high probability

Stop making people captain too early and ruining their careers. Babar was made captain at 25 was too early. Naseem is 21 he doesn't even know how to bowl properly yet let him bowl consistently first then make him captain.

Best brain in Pakistan cricket is Shan

Naseem is a fantastic lad but is too young to be the captain right now. It will also not go down well with Shaheen and Rauf, and can further lead to problems within the team.

Pakistan can experiment with Rizwan as the captain or go back to Shaheen. There is no other option.

Naseem is a fantastic lad but is too young to be the captain right now. It will also not go down well with Shaheen and Rauf, and can further lead to problems within the team.

Pakistan can experiment with Rizwan as the captain or go back to Shaheen. There is no other option.
Yep SSA wasn't given enough time but then he was made captain based on LQ performance last year and this year his team had a disastrous PSL under his watch.

Need someone who has captained in domestic . Won some tournaments , has man management skills . Someone like Sarfraz he wasn’t a great player but knows how to make team fight . Darren Sammy was an average cricketer but great leader . Masrafe mortaza one of best captain Bangladesh has produced. All these have had an average career . But have leadership qualities.

PCT have just 7 months before the defense of CT 2025 crown at home, we are going to lose it anyway then why not try a new energetic captain who anyway may help us to do much better than Babar Azam.

PCT have just 7 months before the defense of CT 2025 crown at home, we are going to lose it anyway then why not try a new energetic captain who anyway may help us to do much better than Babar Azam.
If rizwan gets made captain and leads us, Then he better win the whole damn thing.

Otherwise sarfraz vs Rizwan will be a topic of hot debate.

As for naseem, he won't be picked as captain lol. Why should he? He ain't captaincy material. Yall are making the same mistake of appointing the best player of a cup the captain.

If rizwan gets made captain and leads us, Then he better win the whole damn thing.

As for naseem, he won't be picked as captain lol. Why should he? He ain't captaincy material. Yall are making the same mistake of appointing the best player of a cup the captain.
OK anyone but Babar lets agree on that.

Plus, he's not ready for captaincy yet, they shouldn't disturb his bowling improvement.
And also he never captained a domestic side too.

I believe there should be 3 different captains for all 3 formats.... Shan for Test, Fakhar for ODIs and Naseem could be given a chance to captain in T20I cricket.

True but what ruthless streak does babar have - he’s as pacifist as they come.

What is this obsession with making anyone who has few good performances captain of the team? There are many examples of young captains but I don’t think Nadeem has captained even a gully mohala team yet. Captaincy brings all the xtra burden, distractions that someone who can not compartmentalize will crumble. Is Naseem capable of it? IMO, he should captain his PSL team first and earn the respect as a captain. Then he can be promoted to captain Pakistan team.

Naseem is one of the few guys who play passionately for the country, a more serious guy than the others when it comes to Pakistan.

Fit for captaincy? IMO ased on passion only, YES but experience wise I guess he is not ready to take this extra burden.

He's not ready for captaincy. Ludicrous idea to even contemplate right now. He needs to focus on his bowling and becoming one of the fittest bowlers in the world. Because that's what Pakistan have been missing since Waqar and Wasim. We have produced alot of great fast-bowlers but none of them have had any kind of longevity.

Naseem succeeds on fundamental things like swing, pace and hitting lengths consistently. He's also very smart, surprisingly mature (for his age) and mentally tough. Which is why I expect so much from him. I can see him being a leadership figure in the team one day, and maybe even the captain. But first he needs to do justice to all this talent and establish himself as one of the best fast-bowlers in the world.

You give captaincy generally to someone who has been groomed. Naseem will fall apart from day 1, just look at Shaheen, and he's had few years captaining at Lahore.

I would personally give it to someone like Saud Shakeel, or shan Masood provided they can average 32-35 at 90 SR.

He needs to be international quality consistently before that. A few good spells don't change the fact that his place in the team may be uncertain because he is yet to grow as a bowler.

I don't mind seeing Shaheen back as Pakistan captain. Its a lot safer.

Pakistan should stop this obsession with “passion,” and instead start evaluating players on skills, innovation and intellect. These are more objective metrics than “passion.” How do you measure passion?

Naseem might be a fighter but he doesn’t have any of the above qualities. He will fail just like Babar. Being your top player doesn’t necessarily mean they become the captain by default. This is pretty weak reasoning.

I would take a smart and astute captain that’s technically limited over a high performing player who can’t think critically or straight.

I think it would be the wrong move to make Naseem captain. But his name is being put out there because we are desperate to get out of this dead culture we have.

Babar is dry, dreary, boring, gutless and the whole team is in that image. People want change and see the difference in personality hoping it would be infectious.

I don’t think it’s right and I would guard against this type of knee jerk selection. However, we do need to get babar out - it’s been long enough, so if it’s Naseem or the local club’s best 12 year old, I’ll take it.

On what basis should he be captain?

Or is this just a case of throw a random name out there again.

Back