Is this the perfect time to move on from Azhar Ali in Test cricket?

Should Azhar Ali be dropped from the Pakistan team?

• Total voters

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
With 4 Test series this year for pakistan in Asian conditions i think its the perfect time for pakistan to move on from Azhar and blood a new player into the batting line up, for to long now hes pretty much held the number 3 position hostage in the last 4 years or so while his performances have been nothing to ride home about. 1 good inns a series is simply not good enough for a so called senior player in the team, also there are other obvious factors which should be looked at when looking at moving forward.

1) Age/fitness - unlike misbah/YK his fitness is not on the same levels, nor have his performances, since they both retired i cant remember any match winning test knocks against decent opposition.

2) Ability against quick bowling, we have seen time and time again him being bowled or lbw to decent quicks and his ability to play such bowling had regressed.

3) 100 Test - sentiment needs to go out the window, just because hes 9 tests away doesnt mean he should get there, you need to still be contributing consistantly to the teams needs.

4) experience factor - most of our senior players dont know when to leave. Pakistan has fawad in the line up now hes scoring runs, so i dont really see what experience would be missing if Azhar left now.

5) negative batting - when we do get off to a good start with the bat, we always end up Azhar coming in and just blocking for sake of it, no strike rotation. Allows bowlers to get into rythme and gain back control in an inns. whilst conditions are different to Aus, Eng, NZ there bowlers will scent blood on feeble batting even in pakistan conditions.

6) new player can be blooded for entire year, 10 tests allows enough time to see if next in line is the longterm solution.

7) Balance of the side, we struggle to find 2 decent test openers yet, he refuses to go back and open. quiet clearly as he knows hes not good enough anymore, yet if he did we could blood a new middle order which we have plenty of. Also alot of fringe batsmen can also bowl which helps massively to team balance.

please can we have a poll aswell to see you think Azhar should stay or go?

To put it into perspective, Mohammad Yousuf was 35 when he last played for Pakistan, Azhar Ali is now 35 and averages 42.

It’s always the mediocre players that drag their careers and the legends that get pushed out.

To put it into perspective, Mohammad Yousuf was 35 when he last played for Pakistan, Azhar Ali is now 35 and averages 42.

It’s always the mediocre players that drag their careers and the legends that get pushed out.

Moyo in the 2nd half of his test career was a world class batsmen, when he was eventually left out he was still doing a decent job.

Azhar has never reached those levels in his career and over last 4 years hes just got worse, people can look at stats but his performances when its mattered havent been there.

It is a bit hypocritical to call time on Asad Shafiq's career but to keep persisting with Azhar Ali. At the time Asad Shafiq was dropped, he had a better average than Azhar Ali since 2017 but Asad was dropped and Azhar was persisted with.

Lets be honest Moyos antics didnt help him and his case to stay on
Al his hissy fits, chasing captaincy , oathgate and joining icl etc

You can say what you like about azhar being mediocore but hes a good team man and non controversial which moyo never was

Back to topic Yes he shouldve been out to pasture at least a yr back

The real question is who in domestic cricket can we replace him with. Even Abid Ali is on the wrong side of his 30's now. Do we have adequate domestic replacements?

The real question is who in domestic cricket can we replace him with. Even Abid Ali is on the wrong side of his 30's now. Do we have adequate domestic replacements?

saud Shakeel and Kamran ghulam have both done domestically, both did well for Pakistan A vs SL. so one or both should be in the test side, 10 tests this year is enough time to see how either player could fair. Add to that both players i mentioned can bowl a bit as well which helps balance to team. Azhar offers nothing against decent opposition

Pakistan will regret selecting this walking wicket for next few series, selected just so he can get to 100 tests when hes contributing nothing to the team currently.

Yes. He is unfortunately not going anywhere for a while though.

The best thing would have been that Azhar to made open and Saud get runs so that Azhar doesn't move back to 3

2017 to current (excluding minnows Zimbabwe and bangladesh)

Azhar in tests
Tests 29
Inns 55
NO 2
Runs 1814
Ave 34.12
100s - 5

Pretty pathetic record yet, hes still persisted with.

I think PCB wanted to get a player to 100 Test matches and there he has been backed to do so.

But he has been a total passenger for a while now. His performance at 3 has been poor.

This is a big series for AA needs some scores under his belt.

Needs to be booted out. Painful watching this guy trying to bat against any half decent bowling attack.

With 4 Test series this year for pakistan in Asian conditions i think its the perfect time for pakistan to move on from Azhar and blood a new player into the batting line up, for to long now hes pretty much held the number 3 position hostage in the last 4 years or so while his performances have been nothing to ride home about. 1 good inns a series is simply not good enough for a so called senior player in the team, also there are other obvious factors which should be looked at when looking at moving forward.

1) Age/fitness - unlike misbah/YK his fitness is not on the same levels, nor have his performances, since they both retired i cant remember any match winning test knocks against decent opposition.

2) Ability against quick bowling, we have seen time and time again him being bowled or lbw to decent quicks and his ability to play such bowling had regressed.

3) 100 Test - sentiment needs to go out the window, just because hes 9 tests away doesnt mean he should get there, you need to still be contributing consistantly to the teams needs.

4) experience factor - most of our senior players dont know when to leave. Pakistan has fawad in the line up now hes scoring runs, so i dont really see what experience would be missing if Azhar left now.

5) negative batting - when we do get off to a good start with the bat, we always end up Azhar coming in and just blocking for sake of it, no strike rotation. Allows bowlers to get into rythme and gain back control in an inns. whilst conditions are different to Aus, Eng, NZ there bowlers will scent blood on feeble batting even in pakistan conditions.

6) new player can be blooded for entire year, 10 tests allows enough time to see if next in line is the longterm solution.

7) Balance of the side, we struggle to find 2 decent test openers yet, he refuses to go back and open. quiet clearly as he knows hes not good enough anymore, yet if he did we could blood a new middle order which we have plenty of. Also alot of fringe batsmen can also bowl which helps massively to team balance.

please can we have a poll aswell to see you think Azhar should stay or go?

Perfect time to get rid of Azhar was 2-3 years ago, but its never too late .

I think PCB wanted to get a player to 100 Test matches and there he has been backed to do so.

But he has been a total passenger for a while now. His performance at 3 has been poor.

This is a big series for AA needs some scores under his belt.

It would be an insult to other players belong to 100 test club . Azhar does not belong to that club .

Its time to call it a day on him. The guy has gone no where and even today he seems like playing his first test game. No confidence in his game and is just surviving thats all.

Its time to call it a day on him. The guy has gone no where and even today he seems like playing his first test game. No confidence in his game and is just surviving thats all.

I don't know why these people never learnt Misbah won us the first ever series in West Indio and retired with dignity and pride along with Younis although Younis khan was struggling in last series but this guy has been batting like a tailender and will never retire until and unlet PCB says it's too much.

No Pakistan needs him in the next tours in SENA he is needed for a complete whitewash otherwise we might not lose all 10 tests we play.

I don't know why these people never learnt Misbah won us the first ever series in West Indio and retired with dignity and pride along with Younis although Younis khan was struggling in last series but this guy has been batting like a tailender and will never retire until and unlet PCB says it's too much.

You cant blame Azhar. Look he will offcourse train and try to work on his weakness, but obviously he cant just retire as its his bread and butter.

The knife has to be pulled by the Chief Selector. Waseem Khan was from KRL and is an old buddy of Azhar Ali so it wont be happening any soon.

WHats sad is that the bench mark for Azhar is soo low that if he does a 50, he gets to keep his place.

You cant blame Azhar. Look he will offcourse train and try to work on his weakness, but obviously he cant just retire as its his bread and butter.

The knife has to be pulled by the Chief Selector. Waseem Khan was from KRL and is an old buddy of Azhar Ali so it wont be happening any soon.

WHats sad is that the bench mark for Azhar is soo low that if he does a 50, he gets to keep his place.

This is what will continue to hold up pakistans test teams longterm progression when we have senior passengers in the team when they have nothing to offer to the team.

This is what will continue to hold up pakistans test teams longterm progression when we have senior passengers in the team when they have nothing to offer to the team.

and who is to be blamed for that? Chief Selector or the player himself.

If Waseem Khan was able to pull the knife on Yasir Shah than this is nothing. Its a hard pill to swallow but only the CS can make this decision.

and who is to be blamed for that? Chief Selector or the player himself.

If Waseem Khan was able to pull the knife on Yasir Shah than this is nothing. Its a hard pill to swallow but only the CS can make this decision.

CS should have grown a pair of balls and dropped him, apart from against zimbabwe last year Azhar was a failure, the guys limited reflexs are gone. Even Babar needs to grow a pair and not select him in final X1. Azhar aint going to retire of his own back, his test performances since 2017 have been shambolic to say the least.

1st PCB made his test skipper when he didnt want a place in side, then after changing captains they still kepy him, should have been dumped ages ago.

Yes, he did an admirable job but there's no point in holding on to him. Couple of home series coming up, time to slot Saud Shakeel at 3

If we have decent replacements, I say he should be shown the door but the question is do we?

Happy Birthday to Azhar....

Born: 19 February 1985 (age 37 years), Lahore, Pakistan

Happy Birthday to Azhar....

Born: 19 February 1985 (age 37 years), Lahore, Pakistan

Just how young was he when he had the son who went to school in England several years ago?

India finally see sense and drop former match winners pujara and rahane, mean while pakistan choose to keep picking Azhar "night watchmen" Ali.

PCB need to grow a pair!

Should have been booted couple of years ago.

Any batsmen from domestic who should be playing at one down?

If we have decent replacements, I say he should be shown the door but the question is do we?

saud shakeel, kamran ghulam, usman salauddin, plenty of replacement for a tailender in Azhar.

Embarrassing watching an average player now look even worse with zero reflexs to even score at a basic and decent scoring rate.

Embarrassing watching an average player now look even worse with zero reflexs to even score at a basic and decent scoring rate.

He’s scoring at decent rate, it’s a test match ! Puts Pakistan in a good position for tomorrow.

What’s embarrassing is your comment . Smells of ignorance and hatred .

Azhar Ali's 50 highlights

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/cvnz7k" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Glad Azhar did well, hoping for him to become the highest scorer and retain his place in the team and his haters keep complaining

He’s scoring at decent rate, it’s a test match ! Puts Pakistan in a good position for tomorrow.

What’s embarrassing is your comment . Smells of ignorance and hatred .

Ignorance? his test record since Misbah and YK retired is abysmal. Just playing in survival mode with little intent on a good batting surface is not great either. Yes its a test match but batsmen should be looking to score when they can and not dead batting everything when they is no swing or seam on offer.

Hes done ok but needs to up it tmrw We need quick runs and a declaration at tea He should be looking to be proactive and give us a good chance to bowl the aussies out twice

Azhar's haters will never rest. But all he has to do is keep scoring runs, and they will stay as irrelevant as ever,

Glad Azhar did well, hoping for him to become the highest scorer and retain his place in the team and his haters keep complaining

We lost all tests in SENA last time what’s it with fans just wanting their favourite players in even if the team keeps losing I don’t get it surely they want improved performances and younger batsmen to do well and replace older ones.

We lost all tests in SENA last time what’s it with fans just wanting their favourite players in even if the team keeps losing I don’t get it surely they want improved performances and younger batsmen to do well and replace older ones.

Make no mistake it's a tough I would not have a new order of Imaam,Abdullah and Saud against Australia.

Ironic...

Coming from a fan who wants azhar ali to fail so that he doesnt play in the future.

This 60 runs on a dead wickets will haunt us for another 2 years. Thats the problem with not replacing aged and non-performing players at right time. Azhar hardly could score any runs overseas and even in QEA trophy and now this------- annoying.

Misbag did the same thing, one good score against a weak opposition and then 10 failures and kept blocking any youngster till he was 45 .

Ironic...

Coming from a fan who wants azhar ali to fail so that he doesnt play in the future.

Wrong I want what’s best for the team and Azhar blocking the place of younger batsmen isn’t good with more losses in the pipeline once we tour SENA again will remain a low ranked for a long time the way the team is being built.

That’s Pakistan cricket in a nutshell unable to make the right calls for big wins and being one of the best teams remaining content with a few wins against low ranked teams and minnows.

One of the most scratchiest batsman I've seen. Been following him since 2011 and seems to be as if he hasn't learnt to play a tiny bit quicker since the retirements of Younis and Misbah. He did get better by 2014 when he was scoring runs for fun but experienced a huge dip in form later on. I have a sneaking suspicion that he has a bit more left in the tank but I'm not sure for how long. Could have scored more runs given he decided to play fewer dot balls but opposition bowlers should expect to bowl a lot of maidens if he is at the crease.

Well thats the issue, hes not been doing that for a long time now

He has been doing very well for the last 2 years.

Since 2020 he averages 45 in test cricket. So I don't know what you or his detractors are talking about.

Azhar Ali played too slow today? Really? Literally the one thing that everyone was saying today was that it is important to bat time on this pitch. Because it will deteriorate more and more the deeper this match goes. Pakistan would want to win on Day 5 and might have to if there is rain on Day 4. So the fact that they got through the first day with just one wicket down is amazing. And is precisely what you should be looking to do if you want to bat once in a test match.

Had Azhar or Imam not been as patient or focused whose to say Pakistan wouldn't be 2 or 3 down? And then you've not only brought Australia back into the game but also lost all your momentum.

Hearing some of the takes here I am convinced alot of posters just like to float their personal agendas rather than be objective and call a spade a spade.

Fact: Azhar Ali averages 45 in test cricket since 2020. So frankly, if you're saying he is not performing you don't know what you are talking about.

Hearing some of the takes here I am convinced alot of posters just like to float their personal agendas rather than be objective and call a spade a spade.

Fact: Azhar Ali averages 45 in test cricket since 2020. So frankly, if you're saying he is not performing you don't know what you are talking about.

He’s 37, after 91 games his career average stands at 42. He isn’t going to get any better.

It’s time to move on, bring in Kamran Ghulam and Saud Shakeel.

He’s 37, after 91 games his career average stands at 42. He isn’t going to get any better.

It’s time to move on, bring in Kamran Ghulam and Saud Shakeel.

He can be 60. If he's performing he deserves to play.

He's averaging 43 now btw. And that's a good average to have in test cricket after 91 tests. Remind me, how many Pakistani batsmen in the last decade have a better career average? You're simply out of touch with reality if you think even averaging 42 or 43 in test cricket is easy.

If you don't like him, just say you don't like him instead of clinging to paper-thin strawman arguments: 'he's too old'...'his average isn't on par with Bradman'.

Last edited:
Azhar Ali is continuing what Mishab and Younis started, keep playing as long as you could walk. Score some runs at a flat wicket or against a weaker opposition and then long run of failure . Make sure you don't leave any chance for someone in his 20s to dream of a long career. What else players like Saud and Ghulam need to do to beak into the playing 11. They are at the top of their game and its hard to keep the form for long period unless the are upgraded and face new challenges , that's international cricket.

He's averaging 43 now btw. And that's a good average to have in test cricket after 91 tests. Remind me, how many Pakistani batsmen in the last decade have a better career average? You're simply out of touch with reality if you think even averaging 42 or 43 in test cricket is easy.

If you don't like him, just say you don't like him instead of clinging to paper-thin strawman arguments: 'he's too old'...'his average isn't on par with Bradman'.

10 years ago it would be fine but how long will he stay he’s improved his average in the last 2 years but was struggling before he will do well to average 30 next time in SENA with Fawad there too who’s too old and weak openers it means we can’t win.

Better batsmen have retired when they felt others should get an opportunity but Azhar wants to play for another 4-5 years.

The team winning in the toughest places should be the priority not prolonging players career who will ultimately underperform against the best teams away because of age.

Needs to be kicked out asap, only blocking the development of the new gen.

10 years ago it would be fine but how long will he stay he’s improved his average in the last 2 years but was struggling before he will do well to average 30 next time in SENA with Fawad there too who’s too old and weak openers it means we can’t win.

Better batsmen have retired when they felt others should get an opportunity but Azhar wants to play for another 4-5 years.

The team winning in the toughest places should be the priority not prolonging players career who will ultimately underperform against the best teams away because of age.

As long as he is playing well. Why is that so hard to understand? I can't understand how you guys can be so obsessed with the future while caring so little about the present. Everything is not about the future. There's a World Test Championship going on which means every test matters. You can't pack you side with youngsters with little to no experience and expect them to immediately start doing well. What makes you think they will average 40+ consistently or score runs for you in tough conditions that Azhar has done?

If test cricket was so easy, everyone would average 40+. But that isn't the case is it?

You and fellow Azhar Ali haters have no argument based on facts. Because the simple fact is that Azhar Ali has been performing well for 2 years now and averages 45 since 2020. Which is why you have to cling to these hypothetical arguments that exist only in your head and have no basis in reality as of now...or you try to go after a guy's age as if that actually matters when he is performing.

When Azhar's form begins trailing off he will either retire or be dropped. That's just the way it goes. Till then put your personal agendas aside and give the man his due.

Last edited:
Spineless and insecure selectors are more to be blamed .

Totally agree, so freaking frustrating, this is why Pak will remain a mid table team until the selectors start making the right decisions.

These past it seniors are just kept on for nostalgia and emotional purposes without any logic whatsoever.

There are different batsmen who could’ve done better than this mixture of home and away matches Umar Akmal has a better average only playing outside Asia but he isn’t competing for no 3 position.

2017 to current (excluding minnows Zimbabwe and bangladesh)

Azhar in tests
Tests 29
Inns 55
NO 2
Runs 1814
Ave 34.12
100s - 5

Pretty pathetic record yet, hes still persisted with.

Yes by all means retire. He won't be missed being the average player he is.

It’s nothing personal against Azhar Ali, I just feel that he’s clinging on to his career with 1 performance after every 6-7 innings.

You mentioned his average since 2020 (45) in the previous post (which I feel doesn’t truly reflect on how he’s really performed) so, let’s look at his averages every year since 2018.

2018 - 30.41

2019 - 21.72

2020* - 41

2021* - 42.3

*Now, if you remove the one innings vs England where he scored 141 not out, his average drops to 20.8 in 2020. That innings basically saved his test career. The average has been inflated due to one innings where he remained not out.

*Take away his 126 vs Zimbabwe and his average drops to 35 in 2021.

This just proves my point that he’s only just clinging on by the barest or margins.

Azhar is painful to watch. He has scored 60* on a dead pitch and now this will haunt us. Had it been any other player, we would have ended scoring minimum 300 yesterday. Defensive players like Azhar ali will keep haunting Pakistan cricket. The sooner he retires the better it is.

It’s nothing personal against Azhar Ali, I just feel that he’s clinging on to his career with 1 performance after every 6-7 innings.

You mentioned his average since 2020 (45) in the previous post (which I feel doesn’t truly reflect on how he’s really performed) so, let’s look at his averages every year since 2018.

2018 - 30.41

2019 - 21.72

2020* - 41

2021* - 42.3

*Now, if you remove the one innings vs England where he scored 141 not out, his average drops to 20.8 in 2020. That innings basically saved his test career. The average has been inflated due to one innings where he remained not out.

*Take away his 126 vs Zimbabwe and his average drops to 35 in 2021.

This just proves my point that he’s only just clinging on by the barest or margins.

What significance do his numbers from 2018 and 2019 hold? Everyone knows he was badly out of form till 2019. Fact is he came back in 2020 and has been doing well ever since.

You can cherry pick stats all you want, but there is absolutely no logic to your argument. Why aren't you including his numbers from 2015, 2016 and 2017 in your 'analysis'? Because he was doing really well in those years?

Just admit you don't like the guy, have a personal agenda against him and move on instead of clinging to these self-serving, cherry picked arguments. The numbers are the numbers regardless of how much you cherry pick them to serve your argument.

When his time comes he will either retire or be put to pasture. Till then he can cling on for as long as he wants if he is scoring runs. His experience and ability to grind it out is vital if Pakistan is going to have any kind of chance of reaching the WTC final. He has done alot for Pakistan cricket and is continuing to do so. And a few thankless and ungrateful fans won't change that.

What significance do his numbers from 2018 and 2019 hold? Everyone knows he was badly out of form till 2019. Fact is he came back in 2020 and has been doing well ever since.

You can cherry pick stats all you want, but there is absolutely no logic to your argument. Why aren't you including his numbers from 2015, 2016 and 2017 in your 'analysis'? Because he was doing really well in those years?

Just admit you don't like the guy, have a personal agenda against him and move on instead of clinging to these self-serving, cherry picked arguments. The numbers are the numbers regardless of how much you cherry pick them to serve your argument.

When his time comes he will either retire or be put to pasture. Till then he can cling on for as long as he wants if he is scoring runs. His experience and ability to grind it out is vital if Pakistan is going to have any kind of chance of reaching the WTC final. He has done alot for Pakistan cricket and is continuing to do so. And a few thankless and ungrateful fans won't change that.

Your cherry picking too since 2020 why 2020 why not 2018 or 2016 your trying to cover up his run of bad form aswell well Fawad has shown he can average over 40 since his comeback why couldn’t other batsmen you won’t know if they don’t play!

Azhar with his slow batting has ate up time and cost Pakistan wins in the past and if a draw happens here you can explain how his amazing 50 at a slow strike rate on a flat first day pitch should be celebrated.

Also how his overall slow batting to grind out an average over 40 is better than a younger batsman who might help the team win a few matches outside Asia which Azhar hasn’t done for a long time.

In Asia most batsmen from Pakistan who have enough ability can do a job as conditions are suitable if they don’t play they never will.

sucking life out of pakistan inns again after coming in at 100/1 on a good batting surface. only interested in scoring for himself rather then being even slightly positive with his scoring for the team. Anyone would think test was being played on a spitting cobra or at perth with all this dead batting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Most Test hundreds for Pakistan:<br><br>Younis Khan 34<br>Inzamam-ul-Haq 25<br>Mohammad Yousuf 24<br>Javed Miandad 23<br>Azhar Ali 19<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvAUS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PAKvAUS</a> <a href="https://t.co/7uWEWK1QPl">pic.twitter.com/7uWEWK1QPl</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1500018515922898947?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 5, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As the poster above mentioned, you’re cherry picking too. Even if you want to look at 2020 I already stated that his average in that year has been inflated due to one innings where he remained not out. He scored in 1 innings out of 8 in 2020 and you’re happy with that?

It can go the other way too, I could say that you’re not looking at 2018/2019 because he wasn’t doing well back then too. What’s the difference between 2019 and 2020, it’s not as if there’s a massive gap between 2019 and 2020, and he came back into the side after being dropped.

To be fair he doesn’t make it easy, the way he went out of his way to defend his buddy Asad Shafiq reflected very poorly of Azhar.

He’s doing nothing special, his numbers are ordinary, if his name was Azhar Akmal he’d have been out of the team 4 years ago.

It’s time to move on, give someone else the chance. 91 Test matches, 20 too many.

150+, but there are still tonty tonty fans who are wishing gor him to get out

sucking life out of pakistan inns again after coming in at 100/1 on a good batting surface. only interested in scoring for himself rather then being even slightly positive with his scoring for the team. Anyone would think test was being played on a spitting cobra or at perth with all this dead batting.

Now has the highest strike rate... What are you sayi

What better time to move on from Azhar than a totally flat road against Australia? Should have played Saud Shakeel.

92nd Test hate it or like it he is already a Pakistan legend

Your cherry picking too since 2020 why 2020 why not 2018 or 2016 your trying to cover up his run of bad form aswell well Fawad has shown he can average over 40 since his comeback why couldn’t other batsmen you won’t know if they don’t play!

Azhar with his slow batting has ate up time and cost Pakistan wins in the past and if a draw happens here you can explain how his amazing 50 at a slow strike rate on a flat first day pitch should be celebrated.

Also how his overall slow batting to grind out an average over 40 is better than a younger batsman who might help the team win a few matches outside Asia which Azhar hasn’t done for a long time.

In Asia most batsmen from Pakistan who have enough ability can do a job as conditions are suitable if they don’t play they never will.

As the poster above mentioned, you’re cherry picking too. Even if you want to look at 2020 I already stated that his average in that year has been inflated due to one innings where he remained not out. He scored in 1 innings out of 8 in 2020 and you’re happy with that?

It can go the other way too, I could say that you’re not looking at 2018/2019 because he wasn’t doing well back then too. What’s the difference between 2019 and 2020, it’s not as if there’s a massive gap between 2019 and 2020, and he came back into the side after being dropped.

To be fair he doesn’t make it easy, the way he went out of his way to defend his buddy Asad Shafiq reflected very poorly of Azhar.

He’s doing nothing special, his numbers are ordinary, if his name was Azhar Akmal he’d have been out of the team 4 years ago.

It’s time to move on, give someone else the chance. 91 Test matches, 20 too many.

Not really I already mentioned here and in numerous other posts that he was badly out of form till 2019. So the fact that he came back when all his detractors had decided that his career was over is laudable.

And you guys can keep playing the same tunes like a broken record but fact is he scored 185 today and reminded everyone why he is who he is.

Sad, sad day for Azhar's haters and detractors. This one is gonna take a long time to come to terms with especially because Azhar scored his last 84 runs at a SR of 80+. Which is a harsh reality for even strike-rate brigade to accept.

BTW here are some more stats. Ever since he rebounded from that terrible run of form in 2019 when everyone said his career was over, Azhar Ali averages 48.6 (2020 onwards). His averages against specific teams during this time are: (185 v Australia, 52.50 v England, 43.25 v New Zealand, 38.3 v South Africa) --- so much for he dominates Zimbabwe.

Against Australia, he is now No.3 on the list for most runs scored by Pakistani batsmen against Australia behind Miandad and Zaheer Abbas. He has scored 1185 runs against them at an average of 56.4 with 5 centuries.

Also, here are the best Test averages against Australia in the last decade (min 10 matches):

61.5 – Azhar Ali
61.4 – AB de Villiers
55.1 – Cheteshwar Pujara
51.2 – Virat Kohli
46.7 – Faf du Plessis

Like I said, its a sad day for Azhar Ali's haters from all ends. I'd say just take this one on the chin instead of floating your agenda and trying to diminish this outstanding knock.

Best thing about Azhar's knock was how well-timed it was and what Imam's knock was missing. He stuck it out during the tough periods but once he he came back in the second session he dominated and put Australia to the sword.

Which is evident by the fact that the last 84 runs came at a SR of 80+

Azhar Ali since 2020

34 ❌
0❌
18❌
20❌
141*✅
31❌
5❌
38❌
93✅
37❌