Lost art of Archery in Bharat: From Gods to Nobodies

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
Another Olympics, another failure from the archers.

Can’t believe how we have fallen in a sport we were historically the pioneers of. Bow and arrow being the weapon of Gods in Hindu mythology. From producing GOAT level Dhanurdhars like Kunti Putra Arjun to this situation. Shameful.

It’s to be noted Bharat’s highest sports award is named after its greatest archer , the legend of Mahabharat, Kunti Putra Arjun. We are not keeping his legacy alive.

If things go on this way, might as well change the award name to Sunil Gavaskar award.

Can’t believe how we have fallen in a sport we were historically the pioneers of. Bow and arrow being the weapon of Gods in Hindu mythology. From producing GOAT level Dhanurdhars like Kunti Putra Arjun to this situation. Shameful.

It’s to be noted Bharat’s highest sports award is named after its greatest archer , the legend of Mahabharat, Kunti Putra Arjun. We are not keeping his legacy alive.

If things go on this way, might as well change the award name to Sunil Gavaskar award.
Every civilization has archery as part of its history and myths.

Going by AOE civilizations, I think its the Brits who should die with shame with the history of English long bows! :p

Korea has been the beast in Archery and we have just started getting better. and most of our wins are in Compound bow not recurve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Given your strong emotive feelings, perhaps lead a 1 man protest Morcha on this to Sansad Bhavan on this, culminating in you sacrificing your thumb ala Eklavya style.

Given your strong emotive feelings, perhaps lead a 1 man protest Morcha on this to Sansad Bhavan on this, culminating in you sacrificing your thumb ala Eklavya style.
It will lead to some caste-related prostest!!
RaGa will join the cause against the upper caste BJP :p

Plenty of nations have greater Archery history and legacy than us. Of the top of my head... Koreans were practically born holding bows until modern age. English long bows and bowman were legendary.

Plenty of nations have greater Archery history and legacy than us. Of the top of my head... Koreans were practically born holding bows until modern age. English long bows and bowman were legendary.

Name their 3 greatest Dhanurdharis.

Are they greater than Janaki Putra Ram, Kunti Putra Arjun, Surya Putra Karan?

I don't know any but you should read up on Admiral
Yi Sun-sin. A bona fide Legend.

PARIS 2024 OLYMPICS ARCHERY: INDIAN MEN’S TEAM KNOCKED OUT IN QUARTER-FINALS

The Indian men’s archery team, comprising Dhiraj Bommadevara, Tarundeep Rai and Pravin Jadhav, lost to Turkiye 6-2 in the quarter-finals of the Paris 2024 Olympics at Les Invalides on Monday.

Pravin Jadhav, with four 10s, three 9s and an 8, was India’s top archer in the team event. Dhiraj Bommadevara, who finished fourth in the ranking round last week, could not find his range consistently, with critical 7s in the first and the last set.

"We were just trying to understand the situation, when our shots were not really good, especially me," Dhiraj admitted. "I (was) a bit nervous but by then it’s a little late to come back.

“I need to work more on myself and really... I will learn from these situations and try not to repeat my mistakes and get back stronger.

“The main thing is to focus on myself rather than other situations," he explained. "The second thing is to make decisions about the wind. After making decisions today, what happened is I didn’t believe in my decision.

“So these are the main things I need to work on. Small things count and every single arrow. I’m sure I’m coming back from it.”

India, the third seeds, were on the back foot from the start, losing the first set 57-53 against the sixth-seeded Turkish trio of Mete Gazoz, Berkim Tumer and Abdullah Yildirmis. Dhiraj and Praveen shot a 10 each but Turkiye hit four 10s to take the two points.

Turkiye maintained their consistency with five 9s and a 10 in the second set to score 55. India scored 52 with a 10, two 9s and three 8s.

The Indian archery team put on a spirited show to take the two points in the third set with Dhiraj and Tarundeep hitting two 10s and two 9s. However, after winning the third set 55-54, India succumbed in the fourth set to lose 58-54.

The Indian women’s archery team, comprising Ankita Bhakat, Bhajan Kaur and Deepika Kumari, lost to the Netherlands 6-0 in the quarter-finals on Sunday.

All six Indian archers will compete in the individual rounds starting on Tuesday. Ankita Bhakat and Dhiraj Bommadevara will also feature in the mixed team event on Friday.

source: https://olympics.com/en/news/paris-2024-olympics-archery-india-men-team-quarter-finals-results

There is a Chinese guy in mythology who shotdown 9 suns our of the original 10 suns, None of out guys did that. but
I will take Pixar's Merida over anyone else :p

That should prove to you there is a vast difference between mythology and reality. There is a reason its called "mythology"

That should prove to you there is a vast difference between mythology and reality. There is a reason its called "mythology"

Be careful.
Hinduism is real and has been proven to be such.

I dont exactly see the comparison between a mythological figure and an Olympic archer. We dont have any objective proof of the quality of their archery to compare these two separate individuals. There is also a severe underestimation of the grueling nature and amount of hardwork a modern Olympian puts. In fact considering the advancement in the field of science and technology in the respective field - from analysing the wind velocity and adjusting the shot to correcting every inch of your posture for the most effective poise. Regardless our archers dont perform upto their mark due to coruption (the recent South Korean coach incident where he was not accomodated a hotel) as well as acceptance with mediocrity.

I dont exactly see the comparison between a mythological figure and an Olympic archer. We dont have any objective proof of the quality of their archery to compare these two separate individuals. There is also a severe underestimation of the grueling nature and amount of hardwork a modern Olympian puts. In fact considering the advancement in the field of science and technology in the respective field - from analysing the wind velocity and adjusting the shot to correcting every inch of your posture for the most effective poise. Regardless our archers dont perform upto their mark due to coruption (the recent South Korean coach incident where he was not accomodated a hotel) as well as acceptance with mediocrity.
Again too much analysis applied to FC bhais thread. Simple thing is Bhaijaan that is FC bhai needs to tyaag his angootha to please the dunadharis in Swarg to give their Aashirwaad to Indian that is Bharatiya dhunadharis on Prithvi

Call it Angoothamedha Yagna if you like.

Be careful.
Sure.. it is real alright judging by the way you guys are on a temple building rampage lately. I am sure there are tons of adherents of the religion in India. Unfortunately, that's the only yardstick we can use these days.

Be careful.
Stories are vastly exaggerated man. Like most stories which are over 1000 years old, everything is passed on to future generations with massive embellishments to the original events.

In Ramayana, we know the story of KumbhaKarna. He is supposed to be like 100 feet tall who sleeps for 6 months at a time. You can believe those stories. But it does not mean they are reality. No human ever was 100 feet tall and no one sleeps that long.

Sure.. it is real alright judging by the way you guys are on a temple building rampage lately. I am sure there are tons of adherents of the religion in India. Unfortunately, that's the only yardstick we can use these days.
Temple building is a way to preserve those stories of ancient Indians.

Indian mythology is very similar to Greek Mythology. Except Greeks gave it away to Christianity. Indians still somehow were able to hang on in spite of Monotheistic onslaught from Middle East and Europe.

Stories are vastly exaggerated man. Like most stories which are over 1000 years old, everything is passed on to future generations with massive embellishments to the original events.

In Ramayana, we know the story of KumbhaKarna. He is supposed to be like 100 feet tall who sleeps for 6 months at a time. You can believe those stories. But it does not mean they are reality. No human ever was 100 feet tall and no one sleeps that long.

These are celestial beings who once lived amongst us.

.. and the advent of modern science drove them away in their space ships back whence they came, I am sure.

The advent of Kalayuha drove them away because they were too pure to remain in a world like this.

Much like the Elven exodus in the lord of the Rings

The advent of Kalayuha drove them away because they were too pure to remain in a world like this.

I know you are joking, but every educated Hindu knows most of these stories are total mythology.

Kalayuha or kalachooha, I guess we are in dire straits if our gods have abandoned us.

What people know about Hinduism is Itihasas(history). The battles that are supposed to have happened over 3000 years ago.

The oldest Veda is Rigveda which is supposed to have been compiled around 1200 BC. But Hindus believe that Ramayana is over 5000 years old which means 3000 BC.
How can Rama be educated in Vedas when Vedas did not even exist during his time?

The Hindu version of Ramayana looks illogical at times. At least the Jain version and Buddhist version make more sense.

God is a figment of human imagination. God represents human helplessness and vulnerability.
God is faith and faith is blind. Just like Hindus will believe in ancient dieties and mythology and worship their idols and believe them to be real.

Faith also gives your life purpose and structure. Whether you like it or not, its there and its benefitted mankind. People who claim religion has caused wars, fail to see humans would have found any other excuse to wage those wars if religion did not exist.

God is faith and faith is blind. Just like Hindus will believe in ancient dieties and mythology and worship their idols and believe them to be real.

Faith also gives your life purpose and structure. Whether you like it or not, its there and its benefitted mankind. People who claim religion has caused wars, fail to see humans would have found any other excuse to wage those wars if religion did not exist.
Not necessarily. There are many atheists in the past that lived their lives to the fullest while abiding to the prevalent law of the land.

Religion comes with certain do's and don'ts. You will never be able to live your life to the fullest because your faith and its rules stops you from doing it. There are many who waste away their lives in the hope of something better after they die. The worst is there is no evidence to any of the afterlife and reincarnation. You live and then you die. We are no different to any animal in terms of our general physiology. Animals don't die wondering what will happen to them after they die. Since us humans have thinking brain, we are not able to cope with the reality of death. We made up stories about afterlife to have some sense of sanity.

Please keep this a light hearted thread and not a discussion on religious dogmao- there are are enough threads for that.

@Bhaijaan - what solution do you propose to resolve this downfall of Indian that are Bharatiya Dhanudhars? Should we get RAW to kidnap a few South Koreans?

Really don't care about the art of archery being lost or found, but it's my humble request to Indian and non Indian posters to respect OP's beliefs. I have never seen Bhaijan ridicule other's faith, so I hope posters show the decency to respect his as well.

Please keep this a light hearted thread and not a discussion on religious dogmao- there are are enough threads for that.

@Bhaijaan - what solution do you propose to resolve this downfall of Indian that are Bharatiya Dhanudhars? Should we get RAW to kidnap a few South Koreans?
This is the only way.

I remember some time ago, India found a Tribal guy by the name Limba Ram. He was touted as Ekalvya of modern times. A man that did not get recognized because he was a tribal.

Limba Ram was given all kinds of facilities. But he still failed miserably in competitions. Clearly shows that shooting arrows at birds on tall trees is different to high pressure Olympic events.

This is the only way.

I remember some time ago, India found a Tribal guy by the name Limba Ram. He was touted as Ekalvya of modern times. A man that did not get recognized because he was a tribal.

Limba Ram was given all kinds of facilities. But he still failed miserably in competitions. Clearly shows that shooting arrows at birds on tall trees is different to high pressure Olympic events.
Maybe the Limba Rams needed Paddy Upton style mental conditioning. One thing giving all facilities, other thing being conditioned to perform under pressure.

Like PCT in WC, have all the facilities and the talent, but just crumble.

Not necessarily. There are many atheists in the past that lived their lives to the fullest while abiding to the prevalent law of the land.

Religion comes with certain do's and don'ts. You will never be able to live your life to the fullest because your faith and its rules stops you from doing it. There are many who waste away their lives in the hope of something better after they die. The worst is there is no evidence to any of the afterlife and reincarnation. You live and then you die. We are no different to any animal in terms of our general physiology. Animals don't die wondering what will happen to them after they die. Since us humans have thinking brain, we are not able to cope with the reality of death. We made up stories about afterlife to have some sense of sanity.
atheism is not for everyone. sure there have been some but for most human beings, the religion and the structure it provides is necessary. but I agree, that's perhaps not the topic of this discussion. we should focus on mythic creatures and their wonderful skills in archery instead.

atheism is not for everyone. sure there have been some but for most human beings, the religion and the structure it provides is necessary. but I agree, that's perhaps not the topic of this discussion. we should focus on mythic creatures and their wonderful skills in archery instead.
Because people are born into religion and indoctrined into the faith. Very few will be able to think for themselves and come out of the indoctrination.

Regarding Mythical creatures, the name says it all. People with nice skills get elevated to legendary status.

Because people are born into religion and indoctrined into the faith. Very few will be able to think for themselves and come out of the indoctrination.

Regarding Mythical creatures, the name says it all. People with nice skills get elevated to legendary status.
So options are IMO in no particular hierarchy:

1. Kidnap/Cajole/Honeytrap South Korean future talent (Saam/Daam/Dand/Bhed)
  2. Identify a few promising tribals and then put them through Olympic training, hiring the currently OOW Russian Olympic coaches, but keeping a strict eye they dont dope the players.
  3. If Russians are out of scope due to sanctions, then perhaps the Chinese coaches, if we can convince them. Indian Archers will need the danda of succesful Olympic programs.
  4. Get ASI to excavate the whole of India, to see if we can discover DNAs of Arjun, Karan, Droncharaya & Eklavya, who were mere mortals and then reclone them ala Dolly the sheep style
  5. If point 4 fails, select a few babies from Indian orphanages and train them from Archery from young age of 3 or so. 6 hours of training during the day and evening would be select scenes from Ramanand Sagars Ramayna and BR Chopras Mahabharat
  6. Accept the golden age's gone and with it the secrets of masterful archery

2. Identify a few promising tribals and then put them through Olympic training, hiring the currently OOW Russian Olympic coaches, but keeping a strict eye they dont dope the players.
  3. If Russians are out of scope due to sanctions, then perhaps the Chinese coaches, if we can convince them. Indian Archers will need the danda of succesful Olympic programs.
  4. Get ASI to excavate the whole of India, to see if we can discover DNAs of Arjun, Karan, Droncharaya & Eklavya, who were mere mortals and then reclone them ala Dolly the sheep style
  5. If point 4 fails, select a few babies from Indian orphanages and train them from Archery from young age of 3 or so. 6 hours of training during the day and evening would be select scenes from Ramanand Sagars Ramayna and BR Chopras Mahabharat
Option 6 is the way to go.

This is the age of information and technology. Archery, wrestling will only bring recognition once every 4 years and that too if medals are won. Otherwise no one cares.

This is the age of information and technology. Archery, wrestling will only bring recognition once every 4 years and that too if medals are won. Otherwise no one cares.
Yes but the gold medal will light a spark, mushroom a cottage industry of Olympic medallist training centres- with the gold medal will come the Govt job, plot of land, cash awards etc etc. This will fuel the future centres of excellence- we will have Kotas and Old Rajinder Nagars of Olympics and the associated trickle down economics. Unemployment will reduce and Sitharaman's tax receipts will increase.

Not to mention the boom in business of Indian flagmakers.

Yes but the gold medal will light a spark, mushroom a cottage industry of Olympic medallist training centres- with the gold medal will come the Govt job, plot of land, cash awards etc etc. This will fuel the future centres of excellence- we will have Kotas and Old Rajinder Nagars of Olympics and the associated trickle down economics. Unemployment will reduce and Sitharaman's tax receipts will increase.

Not to mention the boom in business of Indian flagmakers.
You think very deep :salute

For point 4, ASI will need to be instructed we are looking for real Kunti putra Karan Arjun, not Rakesh Roshan Rakhee putra Karan Arjun...

Requirements will need to be clearly defined.

Kalayuha or kalachooha, I guess we are in dire straits if our gods have abandoned us.

Gods never abandoned us.
They have given us an opportunity to find them again through honesty and devotion.

The Chrianjeevis live amongst us. Preparing for the final battle with Kaal Bhairava

What people know about Hinduism is Itihasas(history). The battles that are supposed to have happened over 3000 years ago.

The oldest Veda is Rigveda which is supposed to have been compiled around 1200 BC. But Hindus believe that Ramayana is over 5000 years old which means 3000 BC.
How can Rama be educated in Vedas when Vedas did not even exist during his time?

The Hindu version of Ramayana looks illogical at times. At least the Jain version and Buddhist version make more sense.

Its Lord Raam or Bhagwaan Raam

Kindly address our Gods with due respect or else refrain from committing blasphemy. Consider this a gentle warning.

Hinduism has stood strong for 5000 years despite all the odds and even at times we were the most vulnerable.

When last time we Hindus faced the slightest threat of extinction, we ended up creating Sikhism and the mighty ancient sikhs proved to be too much to handle for Mughals.

When we hindus went into deep moral dilemma about the negative impact of violence on mankind we ended up creating Buddhism which has guided humanity spiritually ever since.

When pushes to the wall, Hinduism doesn’t just fight back, it creates miracles that redefine the world.

I disagree. 4 is obviously the correct option. I know several locations where DNA could potentially be found. I was in Mahabalipuram a few years ago and all the guides told me the Pandavas spent a big portion of their vanvaas there. Shri Ram would've spent a good chuck of time at Ramesvaram while the bridge was built.

We can do this! Imagine the medal haul.

@Bhaijaan - what solution do you propose to resolve this downfall of Indian that are Bharatiya Dhanudhars?
Genuine question here. Please do not derail the thread with irrelevant talk about religions. come back to the point.

WHat is the cause of this downfall and the solution????

Genuine question here. Please do not derail the thread with irrelevant talk about religions. come back to the point.

WHat is the cause of this downfall and the solution????
There was no downfall. You needed to have a peak for a fall :p
Archery is the oldest human sport. Every culture has its history and was part of ancient and medieval warfare. Gunpowder changed the warfare dimension, and archery was no longer needed in modern warfare.
No one had an undisputed claim about global mastery of Archery. In modern Olympics, Koreans have owned it like no other, but I do not know the exact reason of such utter domination that rivals USA basketball and Chinese ping pong.

We recently won 5 gold and 4 silver in asian games and world championships but most of those are in compound segment which is a superior bow.

From 2028 , olympics is introducing this segment, it will put an end to Korean domination Which is strong in recurve bow.

Good times ahead!! With cricket included india can aim atleast 5-6 gold all together for 2028 edition.

We recently won 5 gold and 4 silver in asian games and world championships but most of those are in compound segment which is a superior bow.

From 2028 , olympics is introducing this segment, it will put an end to Korean domination Which is strong in recurve bow.

Good times ahead!! With cricket included india can aim atleast 5-6 gold all together for 2028 edition.
LA can be expected to be true spike for medals. Cricket too.

My war cry was heard by our Olympians and they brought us to the semi final

hiraj & Ankita has created history by becoming the first archers from India to enter the Semis of Olympics

They have defeated Spain 🇪🇸 5-3 in the Mixed Team Quaterfinals and moves to Semi Final against Korea/ Italy at 7:00 PM

WELL DONE DHIRAJ & ANKITA 🇮🇳♥️

Back