Member Interview : Ab Fan

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Many thanks to [MENTION=139595]Ab Fan[/MENTION] for his valuable time in answering questions for our members - A wonderful read am sure.

==

PakPassion.net: What brings you to PakPassion?

AB Fan:
Actually I used to be a lurker for quite a time before I joined PP. Back then I used to saw a lot of threads and funnily enough, I always felt like I should get in and give an appropriate reply that will seal the motto of the thread. But then after I joined, I eventually found that it was all emotions from my side and there are lot of good posters with quite insightful and in-depth cricketing knowledge.

I have found this forum quite informative and balanced and you can freely express your opinions or have a strong discussion on anything you might disagree about .There are posters from different nationalities(like England, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand) and its always a pleasure to have the knowledge of their cricketing culture, setup and grounds.

PakPassion.net: Do you play cricket? If yes, what was your highest level?

AB Fan:
I was quite passionate about cricket during my childhood and played a lot at school level primarily as a batsmen and a very good fielder but over time knew that I won't be able to take it as a profession as it becomes very harder with no family background or anyone with any interest for cricket. So, didn't really go ahead with it and focussed on my studies.

PakPassion.net: Did AB de Villiers retire at the right time and should he come back to help South Africa?

AB Fan:
I have always believed that when it comes to retirement, the cricketers themselves are the best guys to take this decision and whenever they decide, it needs to be respected.

However, personally, when I first heard the news, I was quite disappointed and actually shocked. AB's form was quite excellent at that time and I felt he still had a few years left in him considering his recent performances. There is nothing wrong in not opting for T20 leagues which helps you from a financial perspective. However, it was unacceptable doing it with a World Cup around in a year time.

He could have easily played a year of cricket, maybe reach a few milestones like 10,000 ODI runs or even in test cricket and give his country a fair chance going to World Cup and then retire. That would have been the best time for him but as I said, we have to leave these decisions to the cricketers and whenever they decide, it needs to be accepted and their services shouldn't be forgotten just because of that.

Regarding the return to South Africa team, if AB feels he still has a lot left in the tank and can make a difference being the part of WT20 side then he definitely should.

PakPassion.net: Who would be the top 6 batsmen in your XI for Pakistan in the T20 World Cup.

AB Fan:
I am not much into T20 cricket lineup of other teams yet, will probably be when the WC will be closer but I do believe that Pakistan’s chances would be higher if they don’t pick Hafeez and Malik in WT20 squad and if there are better alternatives. Need to look ahead now. Personally, the four overs of Shaheen Shah Afridi can be quite pivotal for Pakistan in this tournament.

PakPassion.net: What are your cricket predictions for the next 10 years?

AB Fan:
Over the next 10 years, India, Australia and England will obviously remain a strong Test team because of the Big 3 influence. I think there will be a lot more cricket played in Pakistan and I expect the Pakistan team to rise in this decade. One reason is because they have a world class all format batsmen who can bat through and others can rotate around him. Bangladesh U-19 team did very well and this decade might be more favourable to them in international cricket than ever.

My only concern is limited overs cricket and the over-kill of it in subcontinent especially with T20 domestic leagues, and also the World T20s and Asia Cup(T20s) being played quite often. Cricket needs more test matches to be alive. So, there needs to be a balance struck between both formats.

PakPassion.net: Do you think T20 format has done damage to cricket?

AB Fan:
Unfortunately, the answer to this is yes. The influence of T20 cricket and over-killing of it while making the ODI pitches flatter has weakened the defense of modern era batters. The attacking brand of cricket has been a welcome change but in alien conditions, they don't really know to dig in and bat long which is also the reason why teams have gotten stronger at home but weaker away.

It doesn't have a complete downside though. I feel the players ability to win games under pressure is tested and improved in this format. But there is just so much of easy money with the T20 leagues and over killing of it is what eventually hampers the game of cricket

PakPassion.net: Who's your favorite batsman of all time?

AB Fan:
My favourite batsmen still is AB de Villiers. I think he is arguably the most gifted batsmen that I have seen. He is technically as perfect as any world class test batsmen, and when on song as destructive as anyone.

During his early days, his defense was weak which is why he used to struggle a bit but he did very well to add that dimension of cricket to his game. I think the lack of hunger of runs and big hundreds are the reason why we couldn't witness the best of him or a full-fledged version of him for a longer period in test cricket. But he really was a 'once in a generation player' IMO.

From India, its Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid. In India, Sachin was everyone's favourite in the ‘90s for obvious reasons. However, with time, the legend of Rahul Dravid grew a lot on me.

PakPassion.net: Who's your favorite bowler of all time?

AB Fan:
I would be lying if I mention some other name, it has to be Wasim Akram. In my opinion, he was the most iconic pace bowler of all time. If you talk about pace, swinging the new ball, reverse swing the old ball, bowl lethal yorkers and bouncers - he was a genius at everything. The most admired bowler the game has ever seen and it’s not just me but many legends of the game who played with and against him has said that.

PakPassion.net: Your opinion on Babar Azam vs Quinton de Kock.

AB Fan:
Babar is without a doubt the best batting talent that has come from Pakistan in last many years and his game possess the art of mastering that talent into performance. He has a very Indian-like batting game in him and got a very good game awareness.

Quinton de Kock is a bit underrated and that is understandable because of his failures in World Cups. But he is an excellent timer of ball and has a solid power game. I liked his chasing ability in limited overs and personally think he will surely end up as second best wicket keeper batsmen of all time, only behind Gilchrist.

Both are excellent players, best batsmen of their team and the two best under-29 batsmen in the world currently. Babar obviously has a higher ceiling in tests because his role will be of the main batsmen in the team while SA will have to look for someone else and as long as they don't find, its Qdk with the additional responsibility of gloves.

PakPassion.net: What's your prediction on upcoming T20 World Cup and the World Test Championship?

AB Fan:
T20 World Cup is always hard to predict because it’s such a format which is so unpredictable that on a given day, anyone can win it. I would have said Australia with closed eyes but their T20 team doesn’t look great. Honestly, it can be anyone's to take!

World Test Championship final, in my view, will eventually be played between India and Australia and the winner will be the one who wins the toss.

PakPassion.net: ICC role on cricket expansion to other countries.

AB Fan:
ICC definitely has an important role to play but it will depend a lot on the countries being considered. The top priority should be to popularize cricket in countries where local population plays cricket like Nepal, Scotland and Papua New Guinea. I think these countries have shown good signs and can be brought to higher level. It’s pointless promoting cricket in Middle East and South America.

Obviously if ICC could bring cricket into the Olympics and Commonwealth Games, that would probably be the best way to expand the game of cricket and associate countries can start prioritizing it as it will become a serious medal prospect.

Another point is that hosting big tournaments in these countries will encourage local cricket fans to watch the game from the stadiums. The local cricket body will take the game professionally. Imagine if the top ranked teams in the ICC rankings have to 'defend' their ODI or test championship at a neutral venue, that will be great. The 2000 champions Trophy happened in Kenya. I feel more such tournaments should be played in these countries and not just a one-off T20 match like India and West Indies had in USA.

PakPassion.net: Why do you have such a vast interest in old era cricket?

AB Fan:
Not exactly a vast interest but it’s always great to get some insights and be well-aware on some of the old era cricket. It’s really a great pleasure for us that we have some really well-respected posters over here with immense cricketing knowledge on past era cricket and are always willing to share their opinions. It’s always nice to explore how the cricket has transformed and changed across the decades and across the eras.

PakPassion.net: Do you agree with statement: "India still not winning outside Asia despite other teams being overall weaker"?

AB Fan:
I assume that this is about Test cricket. The answer is still No. I think the teams that India lose to away in alien conditions are definitely not weaker atleast in their home conditions. I have this opinion that in this era, many teams have become a lot stronger at home while being completely inept away.

So, while it has become a lot easier for the current Indian team to beat other teams in India, its more harder to beat them away. If you look at the bowling attack of some of the teams at their home, it’s phenomenal. In England conditions facing Anderson and Broad is as hard as facing two ATG bowlers, same for facing Kagiso Rabada and Vernon Philander in South Africa and Trent Boult and Neil Wagner in New Zealand conditions. So, overseas players are still beast at home which means it’s still hard to beat them in their backyard but at same time they are completely inept outside their comfort zone.

Moreover, India haven't lost a test match in West Indies from a long time. So, they have been a good team outside Asia but simply not a great team.

Last edited:
I liked the interview. Good answers. Always felt among the most unbiased posters in PP.

Always nice to hear interviews from the cricket fans and not just always people who are directly employed in cricket. They are the heartbeat of our great game are the fans. Hope AB and his family is well at this time of global emergency. I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts in the future.

One of the sanest voices on cricket! Good to hear your views.

[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION] [MENTION=146057]Ted123[/MENTION] [MENTION=40190]BoomBoomCricket[/MENTION] [MENTION=149506]andy0204[/MENTION] [MENTION=141306]sweep_shot[/MENTION] [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION]

Thank you all for your kind words. Really enjoy my time being there on PP. Thanks again for your questions.

Last edited:
If you have any other questions, do post them over here. I would love to answer them.

Good interview by a good poster. :inti

My question : Do you want IPL to happen under current circumstances?

Another question : Which team do you think will win the upcoming T20 World Cup?

1 more question : If you have to choose between Kohli and AB for a knock out match who will you choose?

Last question I promise : According to you who brings more value to Indian team Jaddu or Pandya?

:inti

A true fan of AB even after he was being little bit greedy and not playing 2019 WC

Good interview by a good poster. :inti

My question : Do you want IPL to happen under current circumstances?

Another question : Which team do you think will win the upcoming T20 World Cup?

1 more question : If you have to choose between Kohli and AB for a knock out match who will you choose?

Last question I promise : According to you who brings more value to Indian team Jaddu or Pandya?

:inti

Thanks bro for your kind words. Coming to your questions, its very hard to say but I will surely try.

1) Under current circumstances, definitely No. It will be best for everyone that not just IPL but any form of cricket does not take place atleast for the next few months. Honestly, as long as there is no vaccine for coronavirus, it's hard to give any assurance of security.

It will be a risk to lives of cricketers, groundsmen, cameraman, staffs and everyone associated with the game to play IPL even if it has to be without fans. So, it's pointless to even think of IPL under these circumstances.

2) T20 cricket is one of the most unpredictable format of the game. So, its really hard to say which team is the favourite and the strongest contenders of the upcoming WT20. Australia are playing at their home which is an advantage to them but they care least about the WT20 format( and their team isn't strong either) and so would England(although they have a very strong team). The top contenders are Windies, Australia, India and England with Pakistan having an outside chance but really it is such a format that it can be anyone's WC to be fair. You have to thrive under pressure to win.

3) This is really very hard for me to say. I would eventually go with Virat Kohli because he bats at 3 and is more likely to shape the game for his team than AB would do at 4 or 5. Under pressure situation, you would rather have Kohli over AB although Kohli too hasn't done justice to his reputation of delivering big in 50-overs tournament. But he has the big match performance in him and I expect it to come up at some point of his career without it going in vain.

Having said that, AB did played a great knock in WC semi final 2015 and has a WT20 knockout performance vs England in 2014. But in knockout games, there are several pressure moments and this is where I feel Kohli has an added advantage over AB.

4) Except for test matches in Asia, it has to be Pandya in terms of utility because he brings the much required balance to the team with his game. India generally plays with two spin options in all formats and has the dearth of a fast bowling all-rounder. In limited overs, his hitting ability down the order will be of massive utility and he has a Kapil Dev level potential with bat( nowhere close with bowl though), so he can also bat at 6 for India.

However, this doesn't undermine what Jadeja has done for India over the years. He is an outstanding fielder, and a magnificent all-round player in Asian conditions. He too makes a strong case for himself in the team in both tests and ODIs. But in limited overs and in test matches in SENA, Pandya is a bigger utility than Jaddu.

Last edited:
Thanks bro for your kind words. Coming to your questions, its very hard to say but I will surely try.

1) Under current circumstances, definitely No. It will be best for everyone that not just IPL but any form of cricket does not take place atleast for the next few months. Honestly, as long as there is no vaccine for coronavirus, it's hard to give any assurance of security.

It will be a risk to lives of cricketers, groundsmen, cameraman, staffs and everyone associated with the game to play IPL even if it has to be without fans. So, it's pointless to even think of IPL under these circumstances.

2) T20 cricket is one of the most unpredictable format of the game. So, its really hard to say which team is the favourite and the strongest contenders of the upcoming WT20. Australia are playing at their home which is an advantage to them but they care least about the WT20 format( and their team isn't strong either) and so would England(although they have a very strong team). The top contenders are Windies, Australia, India and England with Pakistan having an outside chance but really it is such a format that it can be anyone's WC to be fair. You have to thrive under pressure to win.

3) This is really very hard for me to say. I would eventually go with Virat Kohli because he bats at 3 and is more likely to shape the game for his team than AB would do at 4 or 5. Under pressure situation, you would rather have Kohli over AB although Kohli too hasn't done justice to his reputation of delivering big in 50-overs tournament. But he has the big match performance in him and I expect it to come up at some point of his career without it going in vain.

Having said that, AB did played a great knock in WC semi final 2015 and has a WT20 knockout performance vs England in 2014. But in knockout games, there are several pressure moments and this is where I feel Kohli has an added advantage over AB.

4) Except for test matches in Asia, it has to be Pandya in terms of utility because he brings the much required balance to the team with his game. India generally plays with two spin options in all formats and has the dearth of a fast bowling all-rounder. In limited overs, his hitting ability down the order will be of massive utility and he has a Kapil Dev level potential with bat( nowhere close with bowl though), so he can also bat at 6 for India.

However, this doesn't undermine what Jadeja has done for India over the years. He is an outstanding fielder, and a magnificent all-round player in Asian conditions. He too makes a strong case for himself in the team in both tests and ODIs. But in limited overs and in test matches in SENA, Pandya is a bigger utility than Jaddu.

Back