Member Interview: daytrader

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Many thanks to our fellow [MENTION=139316]daytrader[/MENTION] for taking the time to answer questions from fellow members.

==

PakPassion.net: Tell us about yourself

daytrader: I am a Pakistani Canadian with majority of my life being spent in Canada. I immigrated to Canada at a fairly young age. After early education, my father, in his infinite wisdom, enrolled me to a boarding school in Pakistan so that I keep my Pakistani roots. I completed ‘O’ levels in Pakistan and moved back to Canada to complete my studies. I am a commercial banker by profession but am getting fed up with the corporate culture and the rat race hence I am now pursuing self-employment endeavours.

PakPassion.net: How did your love for cricket start?

daytrader: It all started in Toronto. My father, being a community man, was involved in many Pakistani events that would happen around the city. He took me to the Sahara cup games at the Skydome, the infamous for the Inzimam incident where he tried beating up an Indian fan for making fun of his weight. My father was involved in the mediation afterwards and Inzimam got very lucky that the charges were dropped.

After the games we would visit the players in their hotel rooms. At that time security wasn’t a concern and players from both India and Pakistan would stay at the same hotel and would freely mingle with each other and the fans. I met many then (Moin Khan, Afridi, Ganguly, Saqlain, Azhar Mehmood, Inzimam, Azharuddin) and even had the privilege to have dinner with them time to time. I was a young boy then and my most vivid memory of those days was joining Azhar Mehmood for prayers in his hotel room! I found him to be very down to earth guy and a true gentleman. He even gave me a signed red ball!

PakPassion.net: What brings you to PakPassion?

daytrader: During my university days, I had a mix group of friends. I still had Desi friends from high school but due to university life, didn’t interact with them as much. Non-desi people in Canada don’t have much of an interest in Cricket which brought me online to satisfy my need. I came across PakPassion and became a regular lurker to follow match day commentary whenever a Pakistan game was on. I love reading and the quality of the discussions really impressed me, so I started coming back for more. I found out that when PP gets busy, only members would get access to the forums so I made an account. Eventually, I couldn’t take the digs at Misbah and started posting in retribution. After a few posts, I became hooked, constantly looking at notifications and am here to this day.

MenInG had asked a few times for MOD volunteering, so I decided it was time to give back to the community and became part of the admin team. The work that goes on behind the scenes in unbelievable. The effort and time MiG and Saj give to the forum is just next level. Being part of the admin team has only increased my respect and appreciation for this great forum.

PakPassion.net: Why the name?

daytrader: At the time when I was signing up, I was into trading stocks. I thought day trading was the best thing and easy money. After a few big losses, I learnt that it was a game of controlling your emotions which I had a hard time doing. I no longer trade as actively but the username has stuck. About time though I change the charging bull avatar.

PakPassion.net: Is there too much cricket nowadays? Do you think that dilutes interest? Has T-20 format ruined cricket as we know it?

daytrader: For me, there’s no such thing as too much cricket. It’s a game I love, and I enjoy watching any competitive match. Icing on the cake is if it’s a Pakistani team playing. I think interest in cricket is only increasing and it’s reaching new markets. T20 has increased cricket’s profile, where even in a country like Canada we had the Global T20 tournament before the pandemic. There’s even a possibility with shorter formats like the Hundred and T10 that we can be part of the Olympics in the future. That being said, I think with so much T20, quality of cricket is diminishing. Cricket is no longer producing great test players.

PakPassion.net: Which young Pakistani cricketer do you have the highest hopes for?

daytrader: Abdullah Shafique – yes, he’s having a torrid time right now in T20s, I feel though he’s technically very sound and will come back stronger. The 4th innings stance against Australia was very impressive. He’s a player that has the potential to be an all-format batter and is only 23! We naturally seem to have an abundance of bowling resources so it’s rare when we get a batting prospect with a high ceiling hence why I’m really excited for his future. Hopefully Pakistan can groom him to his full potential.

PakPassion.net: What do you think has gone wrong with Pakistan’s test home season? What changes should be made to improve upon that?

daytrader: Honestly, I think the change in management was a big cause. If Misbah was at the helm, the results wouldn’t be this bad. We started preparing flat pitches, only because no one could recognize what our strength is. I think they prepared pitches with a focus on the weakness of our batters i.e., we can’t play quality spin or bounce so let’s prepare flat pitches to negate that. They should have tailored pitches to our bowling strength rather than worrying about the weaknesses. Still Pakistan cricket was the ultimate winner with test matches being held in the country.

PakPassion.net: Where do you stand on the Najam Sethi vs Ramiz Raja debate?

daytrader: If I had to pick between the lesser of the two evils, it would be Ramiz Raja only because he’s a cricketer. Both though play to the gallery and do stunts to show their efficiencies (Najam Sethi being the more tactical one in this regard) rather than making decisions on merit. Every time we have a new PCB chairman, the old system is dumped. The lack of professionalism in the PCB and the constant chopping and changing is one of the biggest reasons why Pakistan Cricket hasn’t lived up to it’s potential. There needs to be continuity no matter who comes in.

PakPassion.net: Who should be Pakistan's Test, ODI and T20I captain(s) and why?

daytrader: In Pakistan Cricket we are too fixated on individuals rather than a system. This maybe due to having a history of great individual captains that have delivered. However the game has moved on from individuals and if you don’t have a proper system in place, you will get exposed.

I believe in Pakistan Cricket, the role of a captain is overrated and overburdened. Whenever we get a performing player, we start talking about them being captaincy material. Somehow it’s ingrained in us that a performer will make a great leader. The person is constantly under the radar with everyone having a go at him. We need to move away from this approach as captaincy is hurting our individual star players in the long run and instead, focus on having world class management in place. Players should be focusing on improving their game rather than being worried about how to say something in English, which off field events to attend, which players to select and whom to groom. These are all jobs that management can do. The captain in the end is from the playing XI and if they stop warranting a place in the side because their game has suffered, then that’s unfair on that individual.

The way I view captaincy is that it only matters when a side is fielding. Field changes, which bowlers to bowl and executing specific plans can all be taught to any bright prospect. Just need a capable and consistent coaching staff for this. A captain should be a reflection of the management team rather than being given a free hand to do what they want.

As we’re far from this perfect World, for now, Babar and Rizwan are our best bet to lead the teams as both are the first names in any of our XIs. They should divide up the responsibilities among themselves as it’s too much for one person to handle captaincy in all 3 formats. Rizwan has shown immense potential in T20s by leading Multan to 3 consecutive PSL finals.

PakPassion.net: How will Pakistan get on in this year's ODI WC?

daytrader: If there are no sudden changes, I think we have a good chance of reaching the semi-final stage if not outright winning it. Our core group of players are set and there are only a few missing links. The players are more united than I have ever seen in a Pakistani team and they have it in their minds that they’re building a champion team. Just need to set the record straight now and win a trophy. My XI for the WC would be:

Fakhar Zaman
Abdullah Shafique
Imam Ul Haq
Babar Azam
Mohammad Rizwan
Imad Wasim/Salman Agha
Shadab Khan
Mohammad Nawaz/Usama Mir/ Faheem Ashraf (or another pacer depending on pitch)
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Naseem Shah
Haris Rauf/ Ihsanullah/ Hussnain

This is an XI that covers all bases and can set and chase 300. Also, a team that can defend 250. The Right/Left combos at the top should be prioritized where if Fakhar falls, send in Imam. If Abdullah falls, send in Babar. Our biggest concern as usual will be fielding.

PakPassion.net: What would be one rule/law you would like to introduce in any form of cricket?

daytrader: Not any law per se but what I would love to see is a Champions League for franchise cricket. This should be an ICC event, possibly every year or at least every two years. With so much franchise cricket happening in every part of the World, it should be easy to have a 6 to 8 team tournament. Maybe with 2 teams from IPL and the rest to be winners of other competitions. In case of a conflict where a player plays for multiple franchises, it should be up to the player on which team to represent.

I would love to see how PSL franchises stack up against the very best in the World.

Excellent answers and I agree with most of his views on Pakistan cricket. daytrader comes across nice, humble and agenda free poster

daytrader: It all started in Toronto. My father, being a community man, was involved in many Pakistani events that would happen around the city. He took me to the Sahara cup games at the Skydome, the infamous for the Inzimam incident where he tried beating up an Indian fan for making fun of his weight. My father was involved in the mediation afterwards and Inzimam got very lucky that the charges were dropped.

what a small world :)

My family and i as a small child were there at the same match

Great poster. Disagree with him politically, and i may sometimes come across abit batameez, but he never loses his cool and and always responds in a respectful manner. He is a true fan of Misbah :)

Also a very good mod aswell, doesnt take discussions too personal and accepts difference of opinion.

Apologies if I ever came across as a jerk, your a top poster mate, keep up the good work, and may you excel in your field.

what a small world :)

My family and i as a small child were there at the same match

TBH I don't remember much of the actual matches. Meeting the players though is ingrained in my memory

Great poster. Disagree with him politically, and i may sometimes come across abit batameez, but he never loses his cool and and always responds in a respectful manner. He is a true fan of Misbah :)

Also a very good mod aswell, doesnt take discussions too personal and accepts difference of opinion.

Apologies if I ever came across as a jerk, your a top poster mate, keep up the good work, and may you excel in your field.

No harm done mate, a bit of banter doesn't hurt

TBH I don't remember much of the actual matches. Meeting the players though is ingrained in my memory

i was a baby. My parents tell me we were seated just behind the players and i kept messing with afridi's hair from the back.

My parents also saw inzi carrying a glass of beer but i wonder if that is true or not.

I never knew exactly which match it was, and recently i was telling my mom how in Canada a spectator once called Inzi an Alu, my mom says yeh I remember that being said in the match we went. Turns out it was the same match that we went to and I was surprised how my parents didnt know they had witness an icon event where Inzi was called an alu and a fight broke out.

Interestingly, even [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] was there at that match as he made a post about it around here.

Small world

i was a baby. My parents tell me we were seated just behind the players and i kept messing with afridi's hair from the back.

My parents also saw inzi carrying a glass of beer but i wonder if that is true or not.

I never knew exactly which match it was, and recently i was telling my mom how in Canada a spectator once called Inzi an Alu, my mom says yeh I remember that being said in the match we went. Turns out it was the same match that we went to and I was surprised how my parents didnt know they had witness an icon event where Inzi was called an alu and a fight broke out.

Interestingly, even [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION] was there at that match as he made a post about it around here.

Small world

Haha -

Yes so memorable - This was the incident

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?14883-When-MIGGY-(almost)-met-INZI-(by-MIG)

Good interview. Excellent poster as well. Keep it up bro.

Great interview, very enjoyable read.

It all started in Toronto. My father, being a community man, was involved in many Pakistani events that would happen around the city. He took me to the Sahara cup games at the Skydome, the infamous for the Inzimam incident where he tried beating up an Indian fan for making fun of his weight. My father was involved in the mediation afterwards and Inzimam got very lucky that the charges were dropped.

What a moment to have seen live.

If there are no sudden changes, I think we have a good chance of reaching the semi-final stage if not outright winning it. Our core group of players are set and there are only a few missing links. The players are more united than I have ever seen in a Pakistani team and they have it in their minds that they’re building a champion team. Just need to set the record straight now and win a trophy. My XI for the WC would be:

Fakhar Zaman
Abdullah Shafique
Imam Ul Haq
Babar Azam
Mohammad Rizwan
Imad Wasim/Salman Agha
Shadab Khan
Mohammad Nawaz/Usama Mir/ Faheem Ashraf (or another pacer depending on pitch)
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Naseem Shah
Haris Rauf/ Ihsanullah/ Hussnain

This is an XI that covers all bases and can set and chase 300. Also, a team that can defend 250. The Right/Left combos at the top should be prioritized where if Fakhar falls, send in Imam. If Abdullah falls, send in Babar. Our biggest concern as usual will be fielding.

The only change I'd make is having Shafique at 4. I understand what you're saying about right/left combos, but I don't think it's a big enough reason to break up the Fakhar-Imam-Babar front 3, that have been very formidable in this format in recent times. Especially as the batting is quite shallow with a lack of proper middle order batters.

The only change I'd make is having Shafique at 4. I understand what you're saying about right/left combos, but I don't think it's a big enough reason to break up the Fakhar-Imam-Babar front 3, that have been very formidable in this format in recent times. Especially as the batting is quite shallow with a lack of proper middle order batters.

I feel the best batter should be batting at 4 in ODIs. Abdullah is a poor starter. If he plays at the top and gets out early there's enough time to recover.

Back