"Mohammad Amir can be as good as Wasim Akram" : Ian Pont

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In his latest blog entry on PakPassion.net, renowned fast-bowling coach Ian Pont writes about why he believes that Mohammad Amir is still one of the finest left-arm prospects he has ever seen and also comments about Mohammad Asif's uphill battle to re-establish himself, as both bowlers attempt to resurrect their careers after the expiry of their five year bans.

asif_amir1.jpg

When Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif were ripped from the Pakistan team, it left a large sized cricket hole in the set up.

Their enforced sabbatical though opened the way for other bowlers to come through and have their chance. During the past few years both Amir and Asif will have no doubt been thinking about not much more than a glorious return to international cricket.

But what of that return? And what do both of them have to do to ensure that success they had prior to events is still there - if and when - they are part of the set up again?

Mohammad Amir is quite simply, one of the finest left arm prospects I have ever seen. He has a strong, repeatable action that helps him be consistent in release of the ball. He is biomechanically efficient in other words, which is something that technical coaches purr over. We are all seeking bowlers who can achieve this as it means a lowering of potential injuries as well as an increase in accuracy and speed. Amir's pace (around 140 kph/87 mph) is plenty to cause problems and he could be even faster. Now, still just 23, he has his best years in front of him. But what makes him such a great bowler is the fact that he has a great strong wrist position - meaning he can shape and swing a cricket ball at pace.

Clearly parallels will be drawn with Wasim Akram and the fact that Wasim will have mentored Amir at some point is inevitable. However, Amir has the potential to be just every bit as good as Wasim in my view. And that's because he has a far better action than Wasim had. His technique as a fast swing bowler is superior. The only thing it seems that can stop Mohammad Amir is himself.

Mohammad Asif is a different animal. Firstly he is now 32 and it will be difficult for him to prove himself against the other young quicks who have filled the void in his time away. He could do it, but it will be harder. He also doesn't quite posses the same firepower pace as Amir but is able to extract good seam movement from the surface. I always felt watching Asif that if there was something in the pitch he would find it. And in that respect, he is much more of a traditional, seam up, hit the deck type of international bowler in the role of a Caddick, McGrath or Siddle type of bowler. I would like to see him gain an extra yard of pace and this would be done by trying to avoid a collapsed/bent front leg and 'throwing away' his non-bowling arm too early. As a front on bowler, he would benefit too from a slightly faster run up and better alignment with his arm pull (he pulls the ball sometimes from the leg side). All of these factors would help him hit the bat harder without losing his assets, thus making him a more dangerous bowler. I don't know if he would ever be someone to take on this type of work. Even if he didn't, he still has great skill levels.

I think on flatter surfaces, Asif would struggle more than Amir as swing is effective on ANY surface. But both bowlers have something to offer. It's simply whether their time has been and gone or whether they have a clean sheet to prove they are both worthy of selection through performance and ability.

Has time taken its toll or has it made them more determined? Will either of them get embroiled in politics of their situation of will they be able to simply focus 100% on what they need to do? Time will tell.

But it is great for Pakistan Cricket that a couple of talented performers are once again available very soon even though the future for them as individuals might be very different.

Last edited:
Nice one Mr. Pont and excellent assessment as usual of the future trajectory of their careers.

Yes he can be that much good. But he will need a lot of practice. I will again say Amir needs an year or half to become old Amir. I don't think that Asif will struggle more as compared to Amir.

Last edited:
Amir needs one full FC season. Exactly what he needed 6 years ago to get into the national team.

the way aamir was bowling yesterday against karachi .. he still has pace and aggression in his bowling. When he was hit for a boundary in his last over ....he got furious and bowled really fast.

But unfortunately some jealous Pakistani or so-called experts or self-righteous fans are living in delusion and claimed there are better player than him.

Must have been bowling 90mph last night.

Whatta spell. Good old Pakistani bowling.

He and Wahab together. Oh wow.

Hope to see Aamir back in the team and pick up his 100th international wicket.

Ian is right, Amir's Technique is superior than Akram. To be fair he achieved more than Akram at the age of 18, ripped through English side, and couple of times through Auses. Bowled some of the best spells of 2010. And remember first over against Dilshan(Who had a dream tournament before that match) in T20 WC Cup final? - That was the first time I saw him bowling, man I was more excited about Amir than us winning the WC :)

Technically speaking, Amir's bowling technique and action is better than Wasim Akram's.

Wasim's action was one that put a lot of strain on his body and resulted in him having a lot of problems with groin injuries.

Amir's action is a lot smoother and puts less strain on his body, but bowling actions alone never made great bowlers :)

If Amir can be anywhere near the bowler Wasim was, he will be a superb servant for Pakistan cricket.

I hope Asif you are not reading and don't change anything in your action and remain what you naturally are . Don't risk changing your action .

Amir's action might be more technically correct but Wasim's unorthodoxy made him impossible to pick. Outswingers, inswingers, bouncers - they were all delivered with the same high arm action with minimal bending of the back. The batsmen already enough difficulty picking lateral movement would be ready to go on to the front foot only to be surprised by a bouncer at your face with the same action. This is why so many greats called him the most difficult to play.

Looking forward to seeing Amir back in action again.

Amir's action might be more technically correct but Wasim's unorthodoxy made him impossible to pick. Outswingers, inswingers, bouncers - they were all delivered with the same high arm action with minimal bending of the back. The batsmen already enough difficulty picking lateral movement would be ready to go on to the front foot only to be surprised by a bouncer at your face with the same action. This is why so many greats called him the most difficult to play.

Yeah. Wasim did not present the ball to the batsmen while delivering and had an unusually quick arm. Amir has a more classical action and the batsmen get a good sight of the ball while he's delivering.

I'm not so sure. Akram was an amazing bowler. I'd be surprised if Amir can reach those levels.

LOL KP absolutely tearing into Pont here

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Ponty100mph">@Ponty100mph</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TeamQuetta">@TeamQuetta</a> big difference between you & I. I've achieved something! You haven't! You're actually a bitter, washed up tool!</p>— KP (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/832972190924566533">February 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Ponty100mph">@Ponty100mph</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TeamQuetta">@TeamQuetta</a> and, there's a v good reason you're not here! Cos you're absolutely clueless & have stolen a living everywhere!</p>— KP (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/832974099219623939">February 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL KP absolutely tearing into Pont here

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Ponty100mph">@Ponty100mph</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TeamQuetta">@TeamQuetta</a> big difference between you & I. I've achieved something! You haven't! You're actually a bitter, washed up tool!</p>— KP (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/832972190924566533">February 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Ponty100mph">@Ponty100mph</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TeamQuetta">@TeamQuetta</a> and, there's a v good reason you're not here! Cos you're absolutely clueless & have stolen a living everywhere!</p>— KP (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/832974099219623939">February 18, 2017</a></blockquote>

What's the back story here?

What's the back story here?

I think Ian Pont tweeted that he wanted KP dropped (due to him being out of form) for Luke Wright.

And then his backhanded tweet: "Now I'm sensing more golf days off from the nets suddenly"...

He is implying that KP is selfish, and that KP has scored one good innings and will probably believe he has done his job and might not try as hard.

KP is angry that Ian Pont is questioning KP's commitment.

I think Ian Pont tweeted that he wanted KP dropped (due to him being out of form) for Luke Wright.

And then his backhanded tweet: "Now I'm sensing more golf days off from the nets suddenly"...

He is implying that KP is selfish, and that KP has scored one good innings and will probably believe he has done his job and might not try as hard.

KP is angry that Ian Pont is questioning KP's commitment.

I'm sure Pont was at Quetta last season, so I think he might be implying that KP was skipping training for golf. That's what the tweet seems like to me.

Got destroyed today by on-fire Sammy and Lala. Though he was unlucky with a few edged boundaries.

Usman Shinwari outperformed both sohail and amir. He was bowling yorkes at will unlike the other two. Sohail is too unfit to bowl his last spell.

Usman Shinwari outperformed both sohail and amir. He was bowling yorkes at will unlike the other two. Sohail is too unfit to bowl his last spell.

He also bowled a no ball and Hasan hit him for a six and a four. Stop being biased.

he needs to sort out his Yorker by the end of the psl.
otherwise we have better t20 bowlers

He was really poor at the death.

Both Sohail and the young Shinwari did better than him today.

Got to work on those yorkers.

He was really poor at the death.

Both Sohail and the young Shinwari did better than him today.

Got to work on those yorkers.

He has a pretty good yorker. Bowled one to Afridi. He mostly got hit on short deliveries.

He has a pretty good yorker. Bowled one to Afridi. He mostly got hit on short deliveries.

Yeah, that was a really good one, but he has got to do it consistently and not be afraid of bowling them.

Today, you could say he was trying to bounce them out (understandable), but last game he was hit by Watson for sixes.

Just needs more work on them.

Continues to lack impact. It is time to accept that his overhyped and not the bowler people thought he was.

Had he played throughout the last 6 years, he would have been just another bowler. Better than Rahat, Wahab and Junaid, but not a world beater by any means. Can't hold a candle to the likes of Starc, Boult and Rabada. Probably at the same level as Finn

Had Umar been banned in 2010, people would have been adamant that he would have been a world class batsman by now. Similarly, if Junaid would have been banned in 2013, he would also have been marketed as a world beater.

Not playing for all these years has certainly helped Amir sell the illusion that he is world class. I am not interested in how bio-mechanically perfect his bowling action is, cricket is 90% a mental game.

Continues to lack impact. It is time to accept that his overhyped and not the bowler people thought he was.

Had he played throughout the last 6 years, he would have been just another bowler. Better than Rahat, Wahab and Junaid, but not a world beater by any means. Can't hold a candle to the likes of Starc, Boult and Rabada. Probably at the same level as Finn

Had Umar been banned in 2010, people would have been adamant that he would have been a world class batsman by now. Similarly, if Junaid would have been banned in 2013, he would also have been marketed as a world beater.

Not playing for all these years has certainly helped Amir sell the illusion that he is world class. I am not interested in how bio-mechanically perfect his bowling action is, cricket is 90% a mental game.

The illusions were set in place by the fans themselves and not him. So not his fault that he hasn't lived up to the expectations of the fans. He's clearly a cut above the rest of the competition and is here to stay.

The illusions were set in place by the fans themselves and not him. So not his fault that he hasn't lived up to the expectations of the fans. He's clearly a cut above the rest of the competition and is here to stay.

Who said it is his fault? Yes it is his fault that he is a disgrace and a cheat, but it is not his fault that he isn't as good as people think he is.

Not sure about him being clearly a cut above the rest, Hasan Ali continues to look more impressive than him, but yes he merits a place ahead of the other rubbish left-armers. That of course doesn't mean that we continue to hype as a world class bowler in the making.

Who said it is his fault? Yes it is his fault that he is a disgrace and a cheat, but it is not his fault that he isn't as good as people think he is.

Not sure about him being clearly a cut above the rest, Hasan Ali continues to look more impressive than him, but yes he merits a place ahead of the other rubbish left-armers. That of course doesn't mean that we continue to hype as a world class bowler in the making.

That's exactly the point I'm getting at. Compare him to Wasim and you're opening yourself up for disappointment.

Mickey Arthur said that Amir's work ethic is second to none. So I back Amir to become world class within a few years.

finally someone said it, it's the reality. Amir is on his way to become the Umar Akmal equivalent of bowling.

finally someone said it, it's the reality. Amir is on his way to become the Umar Akmal equivalent of bowling.

The fact of the matter is that Umar Akmal is not even close to being the best in Pakistan while Amir is clearly better than all of the bowlers in Pakistan. Hasan is the only one that comes close.

The fact of the matter is that Umar Akmal is not even close to being the best in Pakistan while Amir is clearly better than all of the bowlers in Pakistan. Hasan is the only one that comes close.
Umar Akmal was also one of the best in our team until a few years ago.In the last test series Wahab was the best bowler although no one is worthy of being called the best bowler after the horrible tour. In the ODI Hasan was the best no matter that 100, Amir and Junaid also got their worst figures in that 350 game. Amir's averages are horrible in all formats, and before you bring up the catch drops, it happened with Wasim Akram too, dozens of catches dropped, dozens of LBWs not given in that era without advanced tech.

Umar Akmal was also one of the best in our team until a few years ago.In the last test series Wahab was the best bowler although no one is worthy of being called the best bowler after the horrible tour. In the ODI Hasan was the best no matter that 100, Amir and Junaid also got their worst figures in that 350 game. Amir's averages are horrible in all formats, and before you bring up the catch drops, it happened with Wasim Akram too, dozens of catches dropped, dozens of LBWs not given in that era without advanced tech.

Every player in Pakistan is not international class. Amir and Akmal are best in country and that explains why we are such a bad team.

Every player in Pakistan is not international class. Amir and Akmal are best in country and that explains why we are such a bad team.
calling them best without trying the rest? What kind of logic is this? If someone is not performing in the national team then someone from the domestic should be brought in if he's the one of the best performers there before calling them mediocre or not good enough of international cricket

Babar is the best batsmen in the country.

Wahab is the best bowler in the country.

calling them best without trying the rest? What kind of logic is this? If someone is not performing in the national team then someone from the domestic should be brought in if he's the one of the best performers there before calling them mediocre or not good enough of international cricket
Akmal goes off in domestic. Smashed like a 50 ball hundred a few months ago. Amir does too. Was leading wicket-taker in Pakistan Cup.
Babar is the best batsmen in the country.

Wahab is the best bowler in the country.

No he is not. Not anymore. He was from 2012-2015. Amir is now. Though Hasan will be better in the future.

Last edited:
Akmal goes off in domestic. Smashed like a 50 ball hundred a few months ago. Amir does too. Was leading wicket-taker in Pakistan Cup.
in that Tournament Rafatullah also did an amazing job Shafiq too :)) it is not considered something special. PSL in the main t20 event now, and he's failing. Narine is better than Umar at this stage.

QeA trophy, Pakistan Cup, Departmental One Day cup, Regional One day cup are much more important than that. Umar did nothing of note recently.

Last edited:
in that Tournament Rafatullah also did an amazing job Shafiq too :)) it is not considered something special. PSL in the main t20 event now, and he's failing. Narine is better than Umar at this stage.

QeA trophy, Pakistan Cup, Departmental One Day cup, Regional One day cup are much more important than that. Umar did nothing of note recently.

But the funny thing is that you said domestic performers should play. On that basis, then Rifat and Shafiq should be in team. Umar was playing BPL then soo... And I know he failed elsewhere; But he is better hitter than other tuk tuks so he should be in team. Same thing with Amir. He is better than other trundlers who do well in domestics. Who would you fear more while batting? Left arm medium- Sadaf or Left arm phast- Amir?

But the funny thing is that you said domestic performers should play. On that basis, then Rifat and Shafiq should be in team. Umar was playing BPL then soo... And I know he failed elsewhere; But he is better hitter than other tuk tuks so he should be in team. Same thing with Amir. He is better than other trundlers who do well in domestics. Who would you fear more while batting? Left arm medium- Sadaf or Left arm phast- Amir?
Umar flopped in BPL and was dropped, now he's failing in PSL.
I also named the important tournaments and useless tournaments go read my post. National t20 cup is least important cup in the domestic.
And remember one thing, pace is not everything, Asif was a medium pacer as well but he destroyed the greatest of batsmen on a flat pitch with his tight line and length and swing. Amir is among those guys who have failed on the NZ greentops, and that is something awful for a fast bowler. Without trying Sadaf in the international arena, it is utterly disgusting to say that he's not good enough. I can name a few more guys but you would not have seen them play so not worth arguing about them.

Umar flopped in BPL and was dropped, now he's failing in PSL.
I also named the important tournaments and useless tournaments go read my post. National t20 cup is least important cup in the domestic.
And remember one thing, pace is not everything, Asif was a medium pacer as well but he destroyed the greatest of batsmen on a flat pitch with his tight line and length and swing. Amir is among those guys who have failed on the NZ greentops, and that is something awful for a fast bowler. Without trying Sadaf in the international arena, it is utterly disgusting to say that he's not good enough. I can name a few more guys but you would not have seen them play so not worth arguing about them.

I am sure you managed to miss the QEA final in which all of the ATG trundlers you speak of, failed on the flat pitches. The tracks in Pak. favor the trundlers, but they suck elsewhere; And Pak bowlers did not fail on green tracks. They were okay. The batting flopped. The bowling got smashed when the pitch flattened out. Anybody who says guys like Sadaf are better than Amir is clearly deluded.

I am sure you managed to miss the QEA final in which all of the ATG trundlers you speak of, failed on the flat pitches. The tracks in Pak. favor the trundlers, but they suck elsewhere; And Pak bowlers did not fail on green tracks. They were okay. The batting flopped. The bowling got smashed when the pitch flattened out. Anybody who says guys like Sadaf are better than Amir is clearly deluded.

:doh:

I thought you knew what I was talking about but you just have not seen enough test cricket.
I was talking about this test match, One of the Best MATCHES IN THE HISTORY OF PAKISTAN
scorecard link

I'm against bringing back Asif.
I was just giving you an example that Pace is not everything, Asif destroyed batsmen back in the day wihtout express pace. McGrath was never a 145 kph bowler, he bowled in the 130s most of his career even slower towards the end.
Philander is another example if you talk about current bowlers, that guy bowls between 125-132 kph, and he's an excellent bowler.
There are dozens of bowlers in the domestic, at least a few of them deserve a chance in the test side, I'm sure they'd do better than the likes of mediocre Rahats, and Golden boy Amir who have a horrible average after his comeback.

Last edited:

I thought you knew what I was talking about but you just have not seen enough test cricket.
I was talking about this test match, One of the Best MATCHES IN THE HISTORY OF PAKISTAN
scorecard link

I'm against bringing back Asif.
I was just giving you an example that Pace is not everything, Asif destroyed batsmen back in the day wihtout express pace. McGrath was never a 145 kph bowler, he bowled in the 130s most of his career even slower towards the end.
Philander is another example if you talk about current bowlers, that guy bowls between 125-132 kph, and he's an excellent bowler.
There are dozens of bowlers in the domestic, at least a few of them deserve a chance in the test side, I'm sure they'd do better than the likes of mediocre Rahats, and Golden boy Amir who have a horrible average after his comeback.
They don't deserve chances and they won't get them. Rightly so. I fear the day when Pakistan attack is led by a medium pacer.

They don't deserve chances and they won't get them. Rightly so. I fear the day when Pakistan attack is led by a medium pacer.

if that medium pacer is getting wickets consistently than he's better than any of the current test fast bowlers.
without trying anyone, it's stupid to say they don't deserve it, current lot have already brought disgrace to Pakistan's history of fast bowling, by being bang average even in NZ and Aus tours.

if that medium pacer is getting wickets consistently than he's better than any of the current test fast bowlers.
without trying anyone, it's stupid to say they don't deserve it, current lot have already brought disgrace to Pakistan's history of fast bowling, by being bang average even in NZ and Aus tours.

That medium pacer is Imran Khan. Gets wickets consistently in domestics and disgraces Pakistan internationally. Other guys like Sadaf are ditto copies of Imran.

Future Wasim Akram was taken apart by an Afridi who just announced his retirement today..

The other day he was taken for 18 by Shane Watson in his last over..

Sohail Khan outperforms him in every game, but Sohail Khan doesn't get any labels of greatness..

That medium pacer is Imran Khan. Gets wickets consistently in domestics and disgraces Pakistan internationally. Other guys like Sadaf are ditto copies of Imran.

Imran Khan got a beating in Australia. Now it's time to try some others.
Saying the top domestic bowlers are useless is stupid.
At least they should be tried. We should hold our judgement for later.If they fail drop them and bring someone else who is performing, sticking with the same mediocre bunch now is the equivalent of opening with Hafeez against Steyn

No he is not. Not anymore. He was from 2012-2015. Amir is now. Though Hasan will be better in the future.

How exactly is Akmal better than Babar?

Aamir is not better than Wahab. Since Aamir's return I am pretty sure Wahab has taken more wickets than him. Don't let Aamir's beauty fool you. He lacks any decent results. These days he has to try very hard to get a wicket. Cause most batsmen play him off well.

How exactly is Akmal better than Babar?

Aamir is not better than Wahab. Since Aamir's return I am pretty sure Wahab has taken more wickets than him. Don't let Aamir's beauty fool you. He lacks any decent results. These days he has to try very hard to get a wicket. Cause most batsmen play him off well.

Nobody has ever said that Akmal is better than Babar. Only marginally in terms of hitting.

Riaz takes wickets, but he has gone for a lot more runs. Especially in 444 game.

Nobody has ever said that Akmal is better than Babar. Only marginally in terms of hitting.

Riaz takes wickets, but he has gone for a lot more runs. Especially in 444 game.

in that 444 game, Nawaz was the best bowler (eco of 6), does that imply that he is our best ODI bowler right?
non sense.

since the start of 2016:

Hasan Ali: 23 wickets at an average 28 and and the economy of 5.93 in 13 games

Amir The Beloved Golden boy: 20 wickets at an average of 31 and the economy of 5.15 in 14 games

Imad: 16 wickets at an average of 33 and economy of 4.89 in 13 games

AMIR IS NEITHER THE HIGHEST WICKET TAKER NOR THE MOST ECONOMICAL ODI BOWLER RIGHT NOW

in that 444 game, Nawaz was the best bowler (eco of 6), does that imply that he is our best ODI bowler right?
non sense.

since the start of 2016:

Amir The Beloved Golden boy: 20 wickets at an average of 31 and the economy of 5.15 in 14 games

AMIR IS NEITHER THE HIGHEST WICKET TAKER NOR THE MOST ECONOMICAL ODI BOWLER RIGHT NOW

but .. but that series in England in 2010. and so many drops and missed edges on Amir. His average would already be below 20 if you take into account his actual skill.

but .. but that series in England in 2010. and so many drops and missed edges on Amir. His average would already be below 20 if you take into account his actual skill.
if you take into account the amount of drop catches and LBWs not given during that era without advanced tech then Wasim Akram must have 100 more ODI wickets

non sense.

since the start of 2016:

Still better overall than Hasan and Wahab. Also Junaid. Cricket isn't played on a spreadsheet.
Imad is nowhere near their levels. He is more of a part-timer.

Every day that passes, this feels like more and more improbable.

We all thought he'd be the new Akram but he became an inferior version of Salim Jaffar. Hope he doesn't take the easy route of giving up on test cricket, playing leagues, and making easy money to compensate for the five years that he missed cricketing income.

The guy does not have the heart to play Test Cricket so let him go and enjoy playing leagues around the world.

The guy does not have the heart to play Test Cricket so let him go and enjoy playing leagues around the world.

Wait minute... are we watching the same match? Because from what I see Amir has 4 wickets in the match and potentially 1-2 more to come to clean up the tail. Yet as per Mr. PP expert here "This guy does have the heart to play Test Cricket"

What more do you want from him 20 wickets in a match?

If we leave it to the PP experts Pakistan would be debuting 8-10 players every match :inzi2

Wait minute... are we watching the same match? Because from what I see Amir has 4 wickets in the match and potentially 1-2 more to come to clean up the tail. Yet as per Mr. PP expert here "This guy does have the heart to play Test Cricket"

What more do you want from him 20 wickets in a match?

If we leave it to the PP experts Pakistan would be debuting 8-10 players every match :inzi2

Del Boy, leave the kid alone. :sachin

He maybe wont be as good as wasim but hes still more than good enough to be an excellent bowler for pakistan

Last edited:
Back