Mohammad Hafeez the best batting all-rounder for Pakistan since 2010?

QalandarFan

ODI Debutant
Runs
Mohamamad Hafeez since returning to the side in 2010 has been a different player to what he was before that. From 2010-2015 he was more of a genuine all-rounder. However in the past couple years he's become a very handy batting all-rounder, who's improvised his game for modern standards by batting in the middle order and letting himself play a naturally aggressive game. With the ball he has become more of a container, and a guy who is still very handy with getting you the odd wicket against the lefties.

I was looking at his stats since 2010 when he made his return to the side, and they were quite impressive for a batting all-rounder. They are as follows:

Matches - 164

Batting Stats:

Innings - 162
Runs - 5587
HS - 140*
Ave - 38
SR - 81
50's - 34
100's - 11

Bowling Stats:

Innings - 126
Wickets - 100
BBI - 4/41
Ave - 39
Econ - 4.05

Those numbers are quite impressive for a batting all-rounder I'd say. I can't even think of a better Batting All-Rounder than Hafeez that we have produced we have produced some Bowling AR's or Pure AR's but no batting AR's this good in my opinion.

For the batting yeah his strike may look a bit low at first glance, but keep in mind that in the past 2 years he has really upped his scoring rate. In fact at #4/5 in this period he has a strike of 90 at an average of 37. This late transformation as a middle order batsman has really legitimized his career at least with regards to his batting.

As for bowling yeah the average seems a bit high but then again he is a batting all-rounder. His first job is with the bat, so if he is doing well with that there won't be many complaints. However, even with the ball he is very economical and barely gives anything as is shown with that economy. For the longest time his 1/30 (10) or 1/40 were such a luxury as he bowls so tight and any wickets he gets are a bonus. Plus he's still pretty lethal against the lefties, as he showed again today getting the danger man in Morgan out.

So what do you guys think? Has there been a better Batting All-Rounder than Hafeez in the past 10 or so years or in Pakistan at all for that matter? Discuss.

Not sure about the best but for sure, makes a difference to the side.

Biggest match winner we had in the last 10 years.

It's a shame he never batted in the middle order when he was opening. He is in the mold of an Inzi/Yousuf in the sense that they were better players when the shine of the new ball was taken off.

If only we had invested in Hafeez as a middle order bat than Malik.

3.Younis Khan
4.Mohammad Hafeez
5.Misbah Ul Haq
6.Umar Akmal
7.Shahid Afridi
8.Abdul Razzaq

Last edited:
We need him. He is much better then Imad that is for sure. I don't know why so many Pak fans hate Hafeez.

He is the best thing since the sliced bread because we want to forget the history and just excited due to much-needed win yesterday. Hafeez would have been a useful cricketer for the team if he had decided to bat down the order and not wasted his prime years trying to be the opener he is not. His bowling was always useful and far more dangerous before. Unfortunately, he is not that useful with this new legal action.

Still better allrounder than Imad, which is hardly an achievement since we are still not sure what Imad is.

What shall be pakistan oneday team post worldcup? I guess it is time over for Hafeez,sarfaraz,malik..what do you think?

I've had my frustrations in the past re. Hafeez.

Pitches weren't this flat until 2017, there used to be movement of the ball and he would always struggle in those conditions.

He's really bad against the moving ball.

However, he's the best in the team when batting on a flat deck with pace and probably bounce too.

He was sarcastically called an FTB back in the day. But being an FTB today is a huge advantage, as everything in LOIs is mostly batting friendly flat.

He's a monster on today's pitches. Can boss around any bowler, be it pace or spin.

A true match winner today. Boss.

In the past too his bowling/chucking made him a utility player.

I've had my frustrations in the past re. Hafeez.

Pitches weren't this flat until 2017, there used to be movement of the ball and he would always struggle in those conditions.

He's really bad against the moving ball.

However, he's the best in the team when batting on a flat deck with pace and probably bounce too.

He was sarcastically called an FTB back in the day. But being an FTB today is a huge advantage, as everything in LOIs is mostly batting friendly flat.

He's a monster on today's pitches. Can boss around any bowler, be it pace or spin.

A true match winner today. Boss.

In the past too his bowling/chucking made him a utility player.

Pitches were quite flat and bouncy in 2015 World Cup too, at least the Australia ones. I also feel he is one of the best players of the pull/hook shot in Pakistan. If he had spent his entire career at the 4/5 position he could of had a much better career.

What shall be pakistan oneday team post worldcup? I guess it is time over for Hafeez,sarfaraz,malik..what do you think?

Has Hafeez announced his retirement yet? He should go out with respect I'd say go out while your still performing if I were him, but you never know in Pakistan.

Harris sohail in place of Hafeez, Rizwan in place of Sarf, Harris Rauf in place of Aamer.Guys like Malik/Imad are already finding it hard to get a place in team.

His was a great, match winning innings against England , deserves credit for that.

But over last sixteen years, he has played only handful of good innings and most of them on the flat UAE wickets. He has been a failure as a batsman in most of the overseas tours , particularly against moving ball.

He is lucky to have such a long career even being a mediocre batsman.

He is not an allrounder, he was a useful ODI bowler when he was chucking, which he was doing alongwith Ajmal. He would hardly able to take any wicket when came out of ban multiple times and was not chucking initially. To take wickets he would use unfair means, bent his elbow too much and was banned again and again.

Back