Muhammed Rafi Fan Club

Afridi_Fan

Test Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Love the man's voice. He was just an awesome singer. This thread is dedicated to the one and only Rafi.

Na Funkaar tughe sa terey baad aaya.

Muhammed Rafi tu buhut yaad aaya.

A tribute to Rafi by Muhammed Aziz in Movie Kroadh 1990

[UTUBE]KLM4iH3yUu4[/UTUBE]

Last edited:
Pardesiyon Sey na Akhiyaan Milana.

[UTUBE]J5HkVA_25Pw[/UTUBE]

Chhoo Leney do Nazuk Honthon ko.

[UTUBE]aHmdYEWXM1w[/UTUBE]

And probably one of my all time favourites.

Likhey jo Khut tughey.

[UTUBE]7QYFH-rP6FI[/UTUBE]

And most must have heard this song.

Ye Duniya, Ye Mehfil.

[UTUBE]7EQ3aQf8r30[/UTUBE]

Another Master-piece

Khilona jaan ker

[UTUBE]Yn8UB0qNsd8[/UTUBE]

A legend. Rafi was one of the jewels the Indian music industry produced.

Uhmm Rafi...he is my dads favourite singer. Sometimes my dad puts his cds on weekend whereas I am in other room crying when I hear him

Cover Drive said:
Uhmm Rafi...he is my dads favourite singer. Sometimes my dad puts his cds on weekend whereas I am in other room crying when I hear him

Let me guess, not in a good way. Like I used to do in my early teens. But now, Man I'n in love with this legendary singer's legendary voice and songs.

Afridi_Fan said:
Let me guess, not in a good way. Like I used to do in my early teens. But now, Man I'n in love with this legendary singer's legendary voice and songs.

Yeahh just like that.

Now you are getting to know importance of old songs :D "Old is Gold" (One of the CD my dad has says "Old is Gold" on it :)) )

Last edited:
Afridi_Fan said:
Don't worry you'll learn by age. The music sense changes.
hahha

At the moment I don't listen to songs so lets see what happens in the future

Cover Drive said:

When i was little the car journey's to Bradford etc were painful as it was Rafi songs all the way through BUT now i could easily listen to Rafi for hours

Nice thread Afridi_Fan. Here's one of my favorites by Rafi:

[utube]5Ud2rsMT5ng[/utube]

d0gers said:
Nice thread Afridi_Fan. Here's one of my favorites by Rafi:

[utube]5Ud2rsMT5ng[/utube]

Chaudhvian ka chand hu ya aftaab ho, ju kuch bhi hu khuda ki qasam lajawab hu.

Kia baat hai.

Geordie Ahmed said:
When i was little the car journey's to Bradford etc were painful as it was Rafi songs all the way through BUT now i could easily listen to Rafi for hours

Exactly what happened with me over the years.

Geordie Ahmed said:
Similar over here as well

I remember when I was little I loved to listen songs be it Indian or Pakistani. So when we used to go for long drives then after my type of songs my dad would put his songs on ahh mann it used to kill me. There is one song that his mother and father used to listen and whenever he puts that song on now he always starts to cry :( but within few moments we withdraw the cd

When I get home I'll give all the ones you've posted a listen. I don't know Rafi's music too well.

Rafi is a legend there shouldn't be any doubt about that. But I won't be surprised if many teenagers don't like him, because I never used to like him in my teen age. :D

Mohammad rafi sahab is arguably the greatest singer produced by bollywood. He came from a humble back ground from lahore was nicknamed phiko.
Growing up I wasn't too keen on rafi as I preferred kishore and later on kumar sanu but rafi sahab grew on me with the age and now I can safely say rafi sahab is the best for me.
Tum mujhe yun bhula na pao ge. How true is that.

Last edited:
Afridi_Fan said:
Rafi is a legend there shouldn't be any doubt about that. But I won't be surprised if many teenagers don't like him, because I never used to like him in my teen age. :D
Rafi is like fine wine .. gets better when u age.

Truly a great song by the master, you can feel the emotion in his voice. Him and Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan are my two favourite IndoPak singers. Lightyears ahead of the modern Bollywood kanjar music.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_WZgNB1b4Ys&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_WZgNB1b4Ys&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cover Drive said:
At this age?:O

*fainted*
Yes :D
He reminds me of my daddy. He sings Rafi songs and loves his singing as well.

My favourites include:
O Meri Mehbooba (from Dharam Veer)
Hum Kaale hain toh kya hua
Chasm-e-buddoor (reminds me of my younger brother)
O haseena zulfon wali
Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Kay Charche

Oh and My Favouritest :D :

Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo :D
love that song. makes me cry:)

Afridi_Fan said:
A sad one.
Another beautiful song, thank you.

Bhari duniya mein aakhir dil ko samjhane kahan jaaein.

I like this one by Rafi as well, though the mood is completely different from the one above:

[utube]k6pYkSh2NcA[/utube]

And this next one isn't just Rafi but still a classic:

[utube]rZwCm8_6S6s[/utube]

KhushbuHussain said:
Yes :D
He reminds me of my daddy. He sings Rafi songs and loves his singing as well.

My favourites include:
O Meri Mehbooba (from Dharam Veer)
Hum Kaale hain toh kya hua
Chasm-e-buddoor (reminds me of my younger brother)
O haseena zulfon wali
Aaj Kal Tere Mere Pyar Kay Charche

Oh and My Favouritest :D :

Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo :D
love that song. makes me cry:)

Just realised that Aaj Jaane Ki Zid Na Karo is by Habib Wali Mohammad. My baaaaad. :22: Still love the song though! :D

I used to like him in my early days coz my father loved his songs but now when i listening to his songs...i m too in love with his songs...the way he sings the control...his voice absolutely awesome..right now i m listening to Yeh Jahan Mil Gaya

Since childhood, I've always had the realization that Rafi was the greatest of all Bollywood singers, but as a teenager or a kid, it's hard to appreciate all his songs, the depth in his songs, and all the subtleties that only he could pull off. You begin to appreciate them as you grow and evolve.

Many people across the world hail him as the greatest and the most complete singer to come out of the sub-continent, and it's hard to argue with that. Indo-Pak has produced many great singers, and it's hard to compare people in an artistic field. However, Rafi's body of work, his range, and his versatility simply and absolutely dwarfs the work of most other great singers.

Last edited:
ohioguy24us said:
Since childhood, I've always had the realization that Rafi was the greatest of all Bollywood singers, but as a teenager or a kid, it's hard to appreciate all his songs, the depth in his songs, and all the subtleties that only he could pull off. You begin to appreciate them as you grow and evolve.

Many people across the world hail him as the greatest and the most complete singer to come out of the sub-continent, and it's hard to argue with that. Indo-Pak has produced many great singers, and it's hard to compare people in an artistic field. However, Rafi's body of work, his range, and his versatility simply and absolutely dwarfs the work of most other great singers.
Really? I admit I haven't heard enough of Rafi to be able to make that judgment. But I guess it's a matter of taste. My personal favorites are Hemant Kumar and Mukesh. Maybe if I had heard more of Rafi at an earlier age my opinion would be different. Though I'm slowly discovering more of his music (a lot of it thanks to this thread).

d0gers said:
Really? I admit I haven't heard enough of Rafi to be able to make that judgment. But I guess it's a matter of taste. My personal favorites are Hemant Kumar and Mukesh. Maybe if I had heard more of Rafi at an earlier age my opinion would be different. Though I'm slowly discovering more of his music (a lot of it thanks to this thread).

Trust me on this! I've been a music aficionado since childhood, and have invested a lot of time listening to music of all sorts. Hemant & Mukesh are great singers, and I like them too. But if you truly analyze their works, you will realize too that Rafi was light years ahead of Hemant/Mukesh in most aspects of singing!! Now, I appreciate personal tastes and likings, so you may still like Hemant & Mukesh more, and I would respect that.

Just as a reference point, if you were to ask people who were involved with music themselves (any top Hindi music director or singer from 50's-70's), pretty much all of them would place Rafi over the other male singers like Hemant & Mukesh. I have read & heard countless interviews that testify to this...

Rafi was good but Kishore Kumar was better than him.

Enjoy this live version of O Duniya ke Rakhwale...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_QFyW5Hhxd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_QFyW5Hhxd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Rafi's versatility was just off the charts. Not only could he sing songs which could be as different as O Duniya ke Rakhwale & Badan pe Sitare, but he could sing them all exceptionally well.

Here's Badan pe Sitare -- a very popular Rafi song filmed on Shammi Kapoor...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0xCJFicSjg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j0xCJFicSjg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's another great Rafi song from the movie Mere Mehboob...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRld6Jvn_6g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BRld6Jvn_6g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a medley of a few Rafi songs...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfK_dB2PYRM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZfK_dB2PYRM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There are countless gems from Rafi. Five, six off the top of my head:
(I approve of the songs; not necessarily of the idiotic activities in the videos.) :)

R. D. Burman

[utube]jQYGlmuRIcE[/utube]

S. D. Burman

[utube]w4qjVSHVdyg[/utube]

Shankar Jaikishan

[utube]A4Wad2VKzIw&feature=related[/utube]

S. D. Burman

[utube]-O5RyCojMhg[/utube]

Shankar Jaikishan

[utube]6Cd26f_0XLE&feature=related[/utube]

S. D. Burman

[utube]5pK_SU-sHhE[/utube]

Listen to this
Beautiful!!

object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTvFBNG1U1I&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTvFBNG1U1I&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am a big fan of Mo Rafi. Takes me back 30 years instantly when I first understand the meaning of the songs. Didn't understand hindi or urdu before that. Classics!!

This is a relatively lesser known, but an amazing Rafi-Lata duet. The song is called Yeh Parbaton ke Daayere, and this version is filmed on Waheed Murad. :) Don't care much for the videos anyways --this song is all about the amazing vocals of Rafi & Lata!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5duCaSu9HA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5duCaSu9HA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Umair Paracha! said:
Chaudvi Ka Chand is the best one!
Aww this one reminds me of my little brother. He's autistic, but absolutely loves singing Rafi songs and this is one of his faves! :D

I said:
A legend. Rafi was one of the jewels the Indian music industry produced.
he is not one of the jewels.
He is the king with loads of jewels.
I love him!
secondly KISHORE!

Want to bump this thread. A BIG fan of Rafi sahab here. His songs make me feel homesick in a way, of being born in the wrong generation.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SN959Zm6at4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not only his voice is soothing, his face emanates the goodness and kindness of the man.

^ That song has awesome lyrics. A song based on a conversation which makes sense. With most songs one feels like humming only 4 lines, but with this song you don't want to end till it is over.

^^^ Same with this too. and Madhubala helps too--- My god....The most beautifull actress ever!!! actually Mohd Rafi vs Kishore kumar would not be a bad idea...

Rafi was a great singer but kinda one-dimensional. Kishore on the other hand was very, very versatile...

My dad loved Rafi & i like him too . I often sing badan pe sitarey in the loo :)

Rafi sahab is legend. One of the best singer sub-continent has produced. I just simply love rafi sahab voice. He is one of the most versatile singer. For me Rafi sahab is best although I love listening Kishore Kumar as well.

^ That is Mahendra Kapoor, not Rafi.

gg57518013.jpg

M Rafi songs recommendations

hey fellas I have recently started listening to old bollywood tracks .some of them are simply awesome esp m rafi ones..I listened deewana hua paagal and man I was like this is the best song ever..so can you guys recommend me some good rafi songs?.
thanks

1. Tumne mujhe dekha, hokar meherbaa.n
2. Mere mehboob tujhe meri mohabbat ki kasam
3. Likhe jo khat tujhe, woh teri yaad mei.n
4. Dard-e-dil, dard-e-jigar, dil mei.n jagaya aapne
5. Suhaani raat dhal chuki, na jane tum kab aaoge
6. Na tu zamee.n ke liye hai na aasmaa.n ke liye
7. Hai agar dushman zamana, gham nahi.n gham nahi.n
8. Mai.n zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya
9. Yeh duniya yeh mehfil, mere kaam ki nahi.n
10. Nain lar jaihe to manwa ma kasak hoibe kari

1. Tumne mujhe dekha, hokar meherbaa.n
2. Mere mehboob tujhe meri mohabbat ki kasam
3. Likhe jo khat tujhe, woh teri yaad mei.n
4. Dard-e-dil, dard-e-jigar, dil mei.n jagaya aapne
5. Suhaani raat dhal chuki, na jane tum kab aaoge

6. Na tu zamee.n ke liye hai na aasmaa.n ke liye
7. Hai agar dushman zamana, gham nahi.n gham nahi.n
8. Mai.n zindagi ka saath nibhata chala gaya
9. Yeh duniya yeh mehfil, mere kaam ki nahi.n
10. Nain lar jaihe to manwa ma kasak hoibe kari

Great recommendations. I think you hit the big ones,

1...ye reshmi julfen,ye sharbati aankhen
2..tere mere sapne sab ek rang hain
3..maine poocha chand se dekha
4.chura liya hai tumne(though asha bhosle song,but rafi stole her thunder)
5,main jatt yamla pagla deewana(fun song )
6.mera mann tera pyasa(dev anand)
7.teri bindiyaa re(abhimaan)
8.aane se jiske aaye bahar,,,badi mastaani haiii,,,meri mehbooba
9,darde dil,darde jigar (karz)
10.khilona jaankar tum to(khilona movie)
11,,,chalkaye jaam,,,aapki hothon ke naam(dharam and rafi,,,deadly comb)

next list coming soon

Thanks guys I ll listen to them one by one..currently m listening to likhe Jo khat tujhe , its so melodious.

I like this one

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C1CLFK9T028" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1...ye reshmi julfen,ye sharbati aankhen
2..tere mere sapne sab ek rang hain
3..maine poocha chand se dekha
4.chura liya hai tumne(though asha bhosle song,but rafi stole her thunder)
5,main jatt yamla pagla deewana(fun song )
6.mera mann tera pyasa(dev anand)
7.teri bindiyaa re(abhimaan)
8.aane se jiske aaye bahar,,,badi mastaani haiii,,,meri mehbooba
9,darde dil,darde jigar (karz)
10.khilona jaankar tum to(khilona movie)
11,,,chalkaye jaam,,,aapki hothon ke naam(dharam and rafi,,,deadly comb)

Rafi had a habit of upstaging his peers! I prefer Bollywood songs from the 60s and 70s and early 80s, particularly those of Rafi and Kishore and Lata. Listen to Kya Mausam Hai from Doosra aadmi featuring all three.....Rafi's entry kills it!!

Back