Nagaland dog meat: Animal rights groups hail ban as 'major turning point'

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
The Indian state of Nagaland has banned the import, trading and sale of dog meat, in a move celebrated by animal rights activists.

The north-east state's government announced the ban following a sustained campaign by animal welfare groups.

They hailed the decision as a "major turning point" in ending cruelty to dogs in India.

But some civil society groups criticised the ban, calling it an attack on food customs in the state.

Eating dog meat is illegal in parts of India, but some communities in north-eastern areas consider it a delicacy.

"The State Government has decided to ban commercial import and trading of dogs and dog markets and also the sale of dog meat, both cooked and uncooked. Appreciate the wise decision taken by the State's Cabinet," Nagaland's Chief Secretary Temjen Toy tweeted on Friday.

The government shared no further details about how it planned to enforce the ban.

Indian media said the ban came after a picture of dogs bound in sacks at a wet market was circulated widely on social media, provoking outrage.

On Thursday, the Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisation (FIAPO) said it was "hit by shock and horror at recent images" of dogs in "terrifying conditions, tied up in sacks, waiting at a wet market, for their illegal slaughter, trade, and consumption as meat".

The group urged Nagaland's government to enforce an immediate ban on selling dog meat.

The FIAPO was among several animal rights organisations, including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), to spearhead campaigns against the sale of dog meat in Nagaland.

The Humane Society International (HSI), which has campaigned for years to end India's dog-meat trade, welcomed the decision by Nagaland's government.

"The suffering of dogs in Nagaland has long cast a dark shadow over India, and so this news marks a major turning point in ending the cruelty of India's hidden dog meat trade," managing director of HSI, Alokparna Sengupta said.

An estimated 30,000 dogs a year are smuggled into Nagaland, where they are sold in live markets and "beaten to death with wooden clubs", according to the HSI.

Earlier this year, the state of Mizoram took the first step towards ending the sale of dogs, by amending legislation to remove them from the list of animals suitable for slaughter.

While not widespread, the eating of dogs does take place in other countries, including China, South Korea and Thailand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53288214

Amazing the contrasts!

A country where there is so much reaction to slaughter of one animal species has been allowing slaughter of another without a problem.

Anyhow - its a good decision.

Wonder how pet owners in India feel about this?

The pseudo liberals who talk about freedom of diet will not have a problem with the dog meat ban.

I had no idea they even ate dogs in India. I would like to hear the views of [MENTION=132715]Varun[/MENTION] who has expressed much disgust at the bat-munching antics in China. To be fair though, seems like eating dogs hasn't resulted in any world pandemics yet, and at least the Indian authorities have acted before any virus outbreaks.

I had no idea they even ate dogs in India. I would like to hear the views of [MENTION=132715]Varun[/MENTION] who has expressed much disgust at the bat-munching antics in China. To be fair though, seems like eating dogs hasn't resulted in any world pandemics yet, and at least the Indian authorities have acted before any virus outbreaks.

Few North east people eat dog meet. Last year few North east people who staying in Bangalore caught while killing street dogs in our village, villagers went made and beaten them.

Nagaland is Christian majority state more than 90% population are Christians, I know they eat beef but not sure about Dog meet.

Dog is a very loyal animal. I don't know how anyone can eat such meat.

This practice should be banned worldwide.

Dog is a very loyal animal. I don't know how anyone can eat such meat.

This practice should be banned worldwide.

The Chinese will never give up Dog meat and with their rising economic power, they will be even less apologetic about what they eat.

And please what's sacred or taboo or friendly to you could be a delicacy for others. So let them enjoy.

From what i have read about Nagas, I don't think they will ever give up eating dog meat

Few North east people eat dog meet. Last year few North east people who staying in Bangalore caught while killing street dogs in our village, villagers went made and beaten them.

Nagaland is Christian majority state more than 90% population are Christians, I know they eat beef but not sure about Dog meet.

I have never heard that eating dog meat is connected to Christianity so I think this connection in your head is 2+2=5 category.

Nagas are of Mongoloid stock. You can google about them, all of them look East Asian and you can mistake them for Chinese or Vietnamese people.They do eat stuff like those from other East Asian countries, in fact some other North East Indians do so as well. I have heard from friends who have been there that those people eat meat of squirrels, dogs, frogs, insects, even some reptiles. Not all but I think some tribes have this habit. One of many reasons why they aren't as well integrated in Indian heartland, we all have our biases. The racial slur used against North East people is Chinki, Chinese looking or similar meaning.

Last edited:
Nagas are of Mongoloid stock. You can google about them, all of them look East Asian and you can mistake them for Chinese or Vietnamese people.They do eat stuff like those from other East Asian countries, in fact some other North East Indians do so as well. I have heard from friends who have been there that those people eat meat of squirrels, dogs, frogs, insects, even some reptiles. Not all but I think some tribes have this habit. One of many reasons why they aren't as well integrated in Indian heartland, we all have our biases. The racial slur used against North East people is Chinki, Chinese looking or similar meaning.

That sheds some more light on it. So it seems to be a cultural thing as we do know that East Asians don't really have any restrictions when it comes to dietary habits.

Unless there is some virus scare I don't see how this ban is justified. So many street dogs in our cities roam around eating from dustbins and drinking sewage water, if animal rights activists want to show concern that will be a good starting point.

That sheds some more light on it. So it seems to be a cultural thing as we do know that East Asians don't really have any restrictions when it comes to dietary habits.

Exactly, this dietary habit is a cultural thing restricted to some tribes, and not a religious matter. Laughable that some poster mentioned Christianity, don't know why that was brought up here.

Not sure how the state government went ahead with this. Does the majority of the state not care about dog meat anymore?

Nope
What I am trying to say they eat beef.

So eating a cow makes you crave a dog?

:)))

Shouldnt get involved in others' dietary habits. Banning people from consuming any animal is unnecessary as long as the animal in question is not under threat from extinction or isnt a possible health hazard.

Back