Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMan2009

First Class Captain
Runs
Cricket: Getting Sehwag essential to win
4:00AM Sunday Mar 08, 2009
By Dylan Cleaver

Project Sehwag, take three. The India opener began his tour to New Zealand with three consecutive sixes in the Twenty20 game at AMI Stadium and returns today having barely taken the foot off the accelerator since.

He kick-started the one-day series in Napier with an incandescent 77 from 56 and followed it up with 54 from 36 deliveries at Wellington before he was sawn off by umpire Evan Watkin's howler.

Of the 92 deliveries he's faced in the one-dayers he's hit 20 to the rope and two of them over it. Margin for error? About 3 sq cm.

Even his opponents sound awed. Ross Taylor, not averse to hitting the ball hard himself, said that despite wanting to get Sehwag out, there was a "bit of a wow factor" about watching him go about his business. "It's been amazing to watch but hopefully we don't get to see it [today]."

Kyle Mills, until Napier New Zealand's seam bowler of the summer, certainly won't want to see it. He must be having palpitations at the mention of Virender Sehwag's name. His 14 overs this series have cost 115 runs for just one wicket.

The knee-high full toss was not as evident in Wellington as it was in Napier but Sehwag still did not need such invitations to dispatch the ball to the midwicket boundary. With a tiny boundary to defend at AMI Stadium the task does not get any easier.

"There was a slight improvement to the batsmen other than Sehwag," captain Daniel Vettori said following Friday's rain-ruined second ODI. "We were reasonably disciplined but we've still got to do a lot of work on him.

"To try and stop him we have to be more consistent. We haven't got close enough to the mark.

"Destructive batsmen put people off their game plans. I wouldn't say you're intimidated but you're fearful of what's going to come, you never know what shot he's going to play. He can hit all around the park. I suppose guys run in and second-guess themselves at times about what's going to happen."

It seems trite, but the obvious remedy for the ills Sehwag causes would be to get him out early rather than waiting to frustrate him into making a mistake.

The fact Sehwag seems equally adept at smiting good balls to the boundary as he does bad means he is rarely frustrated for long. Twice at the Cake Tin he hit Iain O'Brien at catchable height through the offside and this might be an area Vettori feels he can exploit.

The fact New Zealand are only 0-1 down must be a positive as they were heading for a massive chase had the rain not fallen in Wellington. Ross Taylor was happy to admit they got away with one.

"Yeah, I think so. We were a little bit disappointed with the way we bowled. We've got the plans in place, we've just got to implement them."

With the series now truncated, Taylor said the thinking for today was that it was a "must-win".

Brendon McCullum, who Vettori will look upon as his answer to Sehwag, will be assessed this morning but is almost certain to relinquish the gloves to Peter McGlashan. That will mean Neil Broom will be favourite to mix the Raro again.

Vettori, whose wife Mary is expecting their first child any day, is at the ready to leave at short notice.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10560543

It's 3:17 AM here in India. Don't be surprised, I'm a well known night owl :D
Not a good habit though.

I heard it is much better than it was for last match. But they also said the day before and after the match is usually bright and sunny.

Random Aussie said:
On behalf of my NZ brothers, we pray for rain.

FYI, India has never won on this ground. So NZ would be fancying their chances of getting of the mark in this series.

bablu_khan said:
FYI, India has never won on this ground. So NZ would be fancying their chances of getting of the mark in this series.

From what I have seen so far, NZ best hope is for draw due to rain. I would dearly love NZ to thrash India but it aint gonna happen. :(

India may have never won on this ground but India have never had a side this strong.

Random Aussie said:
On behalf of my NZ brothers, we pray for rain.

:))

they arent that bad man , they could surprise us if some of their youngsters play to potential !

bablu_khan said:

hes talking about tests , though in ODI's kiwis are quite capable of beating us !

Random Aussie said:
From what I have seen so far, NZ best hope is for draw due to rain. I would dearly love NZ to thrash India but it aint gonna happen. :(

India may have never won on this ground but India have never had a side this strong.

i know you saying all this , so that you can have a laugh if we loose :D

I just want 50 over match regardless of the result. It was frustrating to watch them going back and forth 6 times to the pavilion and ground.

jusarrived said:
i know you saying all this , so that you can have a laugh if we loose :D

Oh it would be great if you lose. :D

But this Indian side is too strong for the Hobbits unless the pitch is green.

Or they stuff up, which I am also praying for :)

IronMan2009 said:
I just want 50 over match regardless of the result. It was frustrating to watch them going back and forth 6 times to the pavilion and ground.
Anything from 45 to 50 overs will do.

Ishant is not playing I heard ..he shouldn't take a chance unless he has completely recovered ..could be a blessing in disguise , as NZ batsmen wont get used to his bowling by the time tests start !

jusarrived said:
Ishant is not playing I heard ..he shouldn't take a chance unless he has completely recovered ..could be a blessing in disguise , as NZ batsmen wont get used to his bowling by the time tests start !

That's all right you still have the best bowler in the world :wasim :wasim

That is one thing i like about Indian set up. Even if it is a small injury they rest them instead of playing them. They rested Yuvi against SA in T20. They rested Sehwag in T20 final. They sat Zak out for Perth Test. There have been so many instances India doesn't mind resting unfit players no matter how important they are.

TBH i think praveen bowls better than Ishant in shorter version. It is a blessing in disguise.

NZ win toss and send india to bat , think both captain get what they want !

Jeetan Patel comes in for NZ , well could make a difference knowing our batsmen have a tendency to blindly go after offies !

Jeetan is a smart "operator" :D India will try to go after him and lose all the wickets to him.

^ :D

Shewag might have a off day today , so may be turn of other batsmen to come good !

IronMan2009 said:
Jeetan is a smart "operator" :D India will try to go after him and lose all the wickets to him.

No he is not debutant spinner. India would be doomed if it was his first match.

small ground , but there will be movement here unlike the T20 match says Srinath ...should be a good game !

Actually that freehit ball was a noball. It was not called. Mills doesn't look confident.

only around 6rpo , so boring compared to the fireworks we are sued to from Shewag :(

I thought the Karachi pitch was dead, this pitch makes it look like Perth in the 80s

Mercenary said:
I thought the Karachi pitch was dead, this pitch makes it look like Perth in the 80s

its ODI's yaar , you cant compare the two ....it is slowish , no movement though .

The YUVI starting to beat on the Hobbits.....

I am so disappointed he has started scoring runs so I can't use the double ROFL emoticon after his name anymore :(

Woah the stands are pretty empty!!

Whats up with that? Arent the rockstars rocking NZ?

Mercenary said:

NZ never have much of a crowd at their cricket matches.

The YUVI belting them around now, 2/121 after 21.4 overs.

Last edited:
some classy shots from THE YUVI :D

121/2 of 22 overs , think we will need 325 minimum here !

Mercenary said:

that stand on the ground is under construction.

according to the commentators, matches are houseful.

our highest score in this ground in 6 attempts & thats come in 33 overs !

Tendulkar on his way to a hundred. Means India will probbaly lose :D

--Just kidding--:D

Big Daddy said:
i was very impressed by yuvis walk. but how small is this ground?

Dhoni walked in SL as well , maybe they have decided to do so ...am not in favor though .

Grounds pretty small , 350 not safe here !

once he gets his 100 , there is no one better than tendulkar when it comes to improvisation ..makes it look very simple too !

3/328 after 44 overs.

19 runs off that over, Tendulkar is 157*, Dhoni 52* plodding along

New Zealand without Vettori = clueless

Random Aussie said:
3/328 after 44 overs.

19 runs off that over, Tendulkar is 157*, Dhoni 52* plodding along

New Zealand without Vettori = clueless

made a lot of difference , no doubts !

Selfish of the YUVI to take up so many balls, Tendulkar may run out of time to score 200.

What a shame that Sachin could not bat. Still very good batting by a class player.

I hope he can come back and go for the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back