New Zealand v West Indies | 1st Test | Dunedin | 10-14 Dec

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Day 1 will begin in a few Hours. Should be an intresting Game between two sides trying to establishs settled sides and also some postive Results.

For west indies the Likes of Chattergoon, Xavier Marshall and Brendan Nash will be looking to establish themselves as regulars in the Team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two crap sides, but West Indies are slightly better.

Will be looking out for the individual performances of Ross Taylor, Ramnaresh Sarwan, and Xavier Marshal, and Fidel Edwards. All four are real talents, but apart from Sarwan, none of the four have really delivered the goods at the highest level. This could be a chance.

On such a small ground I hope Chris Gayle gets in and gets some runs as they could be fireworks!

Where is Bravo??? Does anyone know if he is injured or what. He is a great allrounder.

Bravo is injured.

This series should be interesting, someone has to win

Been a while since there have been 3 potentially competitive series going on simultaneously (India/England the least likely to be close)

Random Aussie said:
Bravo is injured.

This series should be interesting, someone has to win

Been a while since there have been 3 potentially competitive series going on simultaneously (India/England the least likely to be close)

well technically speaking they could end up drawing the series 0-0 and sharing the trophy...

without Pak this is what int cricket is reduced to? lol..the two amatuer club sides playing boring cricket!!shabaash!

kingusama92 said:
well technically speaking they could end up drawing the series 0-0 and sharing the trophy...

That would require both teams to bat for far longer than they are capable of.

A full toss by Powell and How puts it away for another 4

8 runs off the over

Last edited:
What a lovely looking ground. Grass banks, and not too crowded, so room to stretch out and get some sunshine. Sadly I can't watch this though, I have to be up at 4am to watch England.

Random Aussie said:
That would require both teams to bat for far longer than they are capable of.
Like it, subtle on the surface yet rapier like underneath.

Edwards avg 40.5, SR 61 starts with 141 kph, 142 (balls may have gone through gully fielder hands - catch missed), 142, 141, 139, 142

NZ cricket grounds have some of the most stunning backdrops & landscapes in the world.

Who is the Asian looking umpire? Dont recognise him

Decent start for NZ 1/65 after 21 overs.

Taylor easily best of the bowlers as usual. He would be a real handful with some decent support.

1/88 at lunch, Flynn going nicely.

Windies as usual started by bowling and fielding well and then deteriorated. Soft

Oxy said:
Who is the Asian looking umpire? Dont recognise him
Some new Indian Umpire Amish Saheba. Making his debut today at the test match level...

Why is Jamie How even playing? He wouldn't even make a 3rd grade district side.

50 for Flynn, NZ 1/96 and doing well.

Probably have nearly enough runs already :batman: unless there is another million bucks at stake

Obeid said:
Some new Indian Umpire Amish Saheba. Making his debut today at the test match level...

he's been around many ODI matches .... nice to see another south asian umpire a test match...

i so wanted to watch Taylor bat ......my fav batsmen outside the indian team ....!

awesome inning fy Flynn, first masterpiece stroke from the new coach

Bad light ends play with 16 overs left.

NZ 4/226 Ryder unbeaten on 54

New Zealand win the day, good batting effort from them

Big Harvey said:
What a lovely looking ground. Grass banks, and not too crowded, so room to stretch out and get some sunshine. Sadly I can't watch this though, I have to be up at 4am to watch England.
I wish I had the chance to sacrifice sleep for a Pakistan test.

Ok that's my whinge for the day.

Looks like a good solid effort from Kiwis with their best batsmen Franklin, Mcullum and Vettori still to come. They should be looking to get 400+ here..

The battle of the major minnows could be quite intriguing on day 2!

OZGOD said:
Why is Jamie How even playing? He wouldn't even make a 3rd grade district side.

I think he's a good player (or should I say looks a capable one), unfortunately not putting the runs on the board, looks the part but that won't sustain him for long.

Better score some in the second dig.

I Am NZ Cricket seems to be doing ok

OZGOD said:

Considering the Windies bowl so many pies so there was never any doubt of him not performing.

rain delay. Inspection at 2 pm. 25 more minutes. Luckily they took early lunch
New Zealand 226/4 (73.2 ov)

Last edited:
OZGOD said:

I rate I Am NZ Cricket, think he is/will be a fine player.

Hard to do really well when you play for NZ in terms of averages etc.

PlanetPakistan said:
When does it start?
they have real strange times. the regular starting time is 12 pm (noon) with lunch at 2 pm. Early start like yesterday to make up fo lost overs of first day meant 11:30 am NZ time
My guess is it is starting right now or in 15-30 min

Last edited:
Fidel Edwards looks a shadow of the bowler he was a couple of years ago. Gayle made a big mistake by not giving him the first new ball. Looks useless without it.

Jamal said:
Fidel Edwards looks a shadow of the bowler he was a couple of years ago. Gayle made a big mistake by not giving him the first new ball. Looks useless without it.

Fidel is rubbish. Quick yes but not good.

NZ 4/268

Chris gayle, a part time spinner taking 3 of the 4 wkts on the first day of a test match speaks volumes about the decline of the fast bowling resources of the once great West Indies.

Random Aussie said:
Fidel is rubbish. Quick yes but not good.

NZ 4/268

I concur, Fidel is absolutely poop. He bowls one good ball every over, and thats only if he has a swinging new ball. He's addicted to bowling these stupid bouncers outside off stump, at 140kmh. I thought he was gonna be the next big thing after his first few matches.

On_the_up said:
Chris gayle, a part time spinner taking 3 of the 4 wkts on the first day of a test match speaks volumes about the decline of the fast bowling resources of the once great West Indies.

I actually think their bowling attack is much better than it used to be with Taylor and Powell (and Fidel on his rare good days).

It is just that they roar in for the first 5 overs, beat the bat, hurry the batsman with pace, nasty bouncers etc and then if they don't get a wicket they just give up.

The initial spell is usually good, it is all the subsequent spells that are rubbish.

Random Aussie said:
I actually think their bowling attack is much better than it used to be with Taylor and Powell (and Fidel on his rare good days).

It is just that they roar in for the first 5 overs, beat the bat, hurry the batsman with pace, nasty bouncers etc and then if they don't get a wicket they just give up.

The initial spell is usually good, it is all the subsequent spells that are rubbish.

That's why the loss of Dwayne Bravo is such a big loss for us, the only bowler that maintains his intensity all day.

Fidel gets a wicket 6/289

I am NZ cricket is 82*

Think this is going to be a draw, I cant see the Kiwi attack bowling the West Indies out twice for a low enough score. And West Indies can't win this game barring a miracle, not enough time.

Random Aussie said:
I rate I Am NZ Cricket, think he is/will be a fine player.

Hard to do really well when you play for NZ in terms of averages etc.

I Am NZ Cricket needs to get on a Stairmaster I reckon. He looks like a rugby union prop.

OZGOD said:
I Am NZ Cricket needs to get on a Stairmaster I reckon. He looks like a rugby union prop.
He plays his off drives very very very strangely. Like, angles the bat toward the ground, I havent seen it as angled by any other int. cricketer. :inzi

I like I Am NZ Cricket fat - cricket needs more fat batsmen I say :inzi

WI 0/39 at stumps, trail by 326. Pity a day was lost to rain otherwise this could be quite an interesting match.

Gayle playing responsibly OMG

Stumps, WI are 0/39 in reply to Middle Earth's first innings of 365. Gayle looked in beautiful touch, he handled Vettori like the Ents handled Saruman's Tower.

OZGOD said:
Stumps, WI are 0/39 in reply to Middle Earth's first innings of 365. Gayle looked in beautiful touch, he handled Vettori like the Ents handled Saruman's Tower.

Vettori the hairy footed hobbit was seen eating bark on conclusion of the day.

OZGOD said:

:))) :)))

Looks like playing Flynn at 3 and ryder at 5 has paid off straight away. This is the type of series where the newer kiwi players can establish themselves but also score runs and gain some confidence.

West indies batting line up is the same where some players are in a postion to make a long term stake in team for themselves.

That was a poor shot by Gayle, a pull which ended up being one handed, Xavier Marshall looking good though.

Chanderpaul doing a good impression of John Carr.
By the way what on earth is the advert on the stickers under his eyes, looks like Carlsberg from a distance

Matic said:
:)))

Something about Kiwi matches are really boring to me.

Any thing with NZ & Cricket in the same sentence renders it boring.

Even NZ playing T20 would put most to sleep.

Chanderpaul is batting a really useless inning, whats the point of blocking when others are getting out trying to score.

Back