"No one's more frustrated than us and we are trying to put it right": Adam Hollioake

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
After the 2nd T20 match against New Zealand, Pakistan's Batting Coach Adam Hollioake, addresses the media during the post-match press conference:

"We're going to be chasing a bit more than that. The captain Shaheen bowled a good over. We spoke about in the last game trying to be a bit more different with our bowling. A couple of bounces in that over, and the slow ball got the wicket. Then we kind of started a bit of a chain reaction and kept them down to what was the total. That, I mean, wasn't an easy chase, but it was one that we could get. So we're happy with that.

Well, basically, between overs eight and 13, I think we got just two boundaries in that period that really killed us. I think in both games, we've done all right, done pretty well in the first power play, but then we've kind of lost it in that period. I guess that's what happens when you're on a bit of a losing streak. When you're winning, you get those things going your way, and just at the moment, I guess we come off a hard series in Australia and then come put tough games here. So we just got to keep our chin up and keep working hard. Boys are doing that; they're working hard in training, and everyone's still talking positive. So still three games to go. See what happens at the end.

When queried about his role in maintaining the team's confidence, Pakistan's Batting Coach Adam Hollioake shared his insights:

I think it is, but I think it's also everyone's responsibility. Whether you're a cricket team or working in the office, you need everyone to buy in to keep everything buoyant, keep things level rather than buoyant. Because when you're on top, you don't want to be too over the top. You got to try and stay level. So I guess rather than being over the top, I just want to remain calm, not get negative or despondent about the fact that a couple of games could have been won. But that's what makes cricket great, isn't it? That's what makes us all keep coming back and watching because you never know what's going to happen.

Pakistan's Batting Coach, Adam Hollioake, commented on New Zealand pacer Adam Milne when asked about him:

What I love about him is that he's on two very flat and good batting tracks. He's been the most unpredictable bowler. He bounces slow balls. He has given the batsman nothing to expect. So, in fact, he's probably someone for us to look to and try to mimic because I think he's been the bowler who in both games has really put the brakes on us.

I think both grounds, both Auckland and here have been high-scoring grounds. It's a bit of both. We probably conceded a few too many runs and we probably didn't quite get enough. So both things combined. Confidence is a little bit low from the hard series in Australia. And when you start winning games, then you find ways of getting those wins. But at the moment, we've just got to keep working hard, and there's only one way to fix those problems, which is hard work. And hard work has always been the answer to any problem.

When questioned about Azam Khan, Pakistan's Batting Coach, Adam Hollioake, shared his remarks:

He's destructive batsman. I mean, unfortunately, tonight he came in, and he really needed to go straight away, and he got out. It's one of those things where if it works, you look great. If it doesn't work, you look stupid. So that sport again, that's what we love about sport. If we all knew what was going to happen, it would be boring. We go and watch the bold and the beautiful or go and watch some TV sitcoms, which is really like very obvious things. But sports beautiful because you never know what's going to happen, and people of all shapes and sizes and speeds and athleticism can play the game. So he's an exciting guy because he's a big hitter in the ball. We haven't seen it in these two games, but I'm sure he'll do well in the future.

Well, it's not up to me to decide. I'm just a batting coach. I don't know. I think he's a talented guy, but there are lots of talented guys in the squad, so you just have to see what the pitch is and what the makeup of the team is in the next game. So it's not a case of just he deserves to be in because there are a lot of good players in Pakistan, and to be a wicketkeeper for Pakistan, you have to be at the top of your game. So we'll see.

In response to inquiries about the consistent batting collapses during the Australia and New Zealand tour, Pakistan's Batting Coach, Adam Hollioake, shared his insights:

I think it's my batting coaching. I'm the common denominator, I think. No, I think technically Australia is the number one side in the world, and they're doing that to everybody who goes to Australia at the moment. So let's put that one side because they do that to everyone at the moment. They're the number one team in Australia. They don't get beaten. We come here, and we've been chasing two very big scores. Maybe on another day we win, maybe we don't. And they're two different formats as well, so I wouldn't read into that too much. The only common denominator of both things is that I'm the batting coach. So other than that, we just have to stay positive and work hard. And these guys are working very hard. Hafeez has got these guys working hard. They're all buying into it. They're all trying to put it straight. I know all the media and the fans are frustrated, but trust me, no one's more frustrated than us who are trying to put it right. So we're trying our hardest."

Who’s running the T20 team, Hafeez or Yasir Arafat?

Btw he seems very non serious regarding Pakistan batting collapse in Australia and New Zealand especially the his remarks regarding Australia tour was not justified

What' was the point of hiring him anyway just getting a free paycheck for doing nothing.

He's not coaching anyone for quite a while, lives in Australia and just because of that PCB hired him?

Surely they could've found someone from Australia with some credentials.

Seems very relaxed about his job.

Two matches lost in the middle overs chasing even though the start was good and promising..

Atleast he can realise that... Its not rocket science... The problem is Ifthi Chacha and Azam Khan in the middle derailing the chase on both occasions... Get rid of these gully mohalla cricketers and give chances to others..

Two changes i would make for the next game

Usama = runs leaking machine , out
Nawaz = in to strengthen batting

Nawaz and Ifti can make up the spin quota of 4 overs.

Farhan in for Azam Khan and shuffle the batting order.

1. Saim Ayub
  2. Farhan
  3. Babar
  4. Fakhar
  5. Rizwan
  6. Ifthikar
  7. Nawaz
  8. Jamal
  9. Shaheen
  10. Abbas
  11. Haris

Babar , Fakhar and Rizwan at 3,4,5 looks better middle order than having Ifthi and Azam at 5 and 6...

This is a better lineup , Rizwan should be given the responisibility as vice captain to finish games for the side...

Pakistan will never try this even if they lose 5-0.

Did anyone make sense of anything he said?

His literally just throwing cliches around and seems to be making excuses. Didn't answer the batting collapse question either.

With such a pathetic team combination nobody could do much.

He is new let him work with the team later on he could answer better about the failures because he will get used to it

What' was the point of hiring him anyway just getting a free paycheck for doing nothing.

He's not coaching anyone for quite a while, lives in Australia and just because of that PCB hired him?

Surely they could've found someone from Australia with some credentials.
whether its Hollioake or someone else its up to the players in the middle to perform and take responsibility.

A coach can offer guidance or point out any technical aspects etc.

I do feel we were unlucky in a few dismisals today like Fakhars drag on, saim getting caught at deep square and Azam getting caught straight on the fence, Babar caught at covers etc.

Another day these things go in your favour and you win. its fine margins.

Thats international sport.

whether its Hollioake or someone else its up to the players in the middle to perform and take responsibility.

I do feel we were unlucky in a few dismisals today like Fakhars drag on, saim getting caught at deep square and Azam getting caught straight on the fence, Babar caught at covers etc.

It is upto the players to perform and take responsibility that is what is required.

Here the thing is about Hollioake as to what was it that he was required to be assigned to the team as a batting coach for these 2 tours? Regardless of who the coach maybe but surely there were far better choices available or he just agreed at a fairly reasonable figure.

Just recruiting someone for a month won't change anything as until such tours aren't going to happen or our players don't get exposed to such wickets then nothing will change. This is something I've been saying for over a decade.

Except being unlucky in multiple matches over multiple tournaments begs the question.

Is it all just luck?

Or perhaps the skill level is a notch below the level required to win ICC trophies.

T20s are only useful 6 months before a world cup, bury 'em for the rest of the time.

As for Pak batting, missing Haris in middle order; could do with Shadab or Abrar and someone who could hold a bat at no 8?

As for the rest, it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except being unlucky in multiple matches over multiple tournaments begs the question.

Is it all just luck?

Or perhaps the skill level is a notch below the level required to win ICC trophies.
I didnt mention tournaments i specifically mentioned the current T20 series.

seeing as you mentioned it. Shaheen going down in the final of the T20 WC was unfortunate for us.

It is upto the players to perform and take responsibility that is what is required.

Here the thing is about Hollioake as to what was it that he was required to be assigned to the team as a batting coach for these 2 tours? Regardless of who the coach maybe but surely there were far better choices available or he just agreed at a fairly reasonable figure.

Just recruiting someone for a month won't change anything as until such tours aren't going to happen or our players don't get exposed to such wickets then nothing will change. This is something I've been saying for over a decade.
If you read my post correctly bro I clearly mentioned it was the players responsibility to perform.

A batting coach or any coach for that matter should be for a couple seasons at least.

I totally agree with making pitches at home with pace and bounce, green tops etc.

I think we are agreeing a lot more than you think on this post. :akhtar

Two matches lost in the middle overs chasing even though the start was good and promising..

Atleast he can realise that... Its not rocket science... The problem is Ifthi Chacha and Azam Khan in the middle derailing the chase on both occasions... Get rid of these gully mohalla cricketers and give chances to others..

Two changes i would make for the next game

Usama = runs leaking machine , out
Nawaz = in to strengthen batting

Nawaz and Ifti can make up the spin quota of 4 overs.

Farhan in for Azam Khan and shuffle the batting order.

1. Saim Ayub
  2. Farhan
  3. Babar
  4. Fakhar
  5. Rizwan
  6. Ifthikar
  7. Nawaz
  8. Jamal
  9. Shaheen
  10. Abbas
  11. Haris

Babar , Fakhar and Rizwan at 3,4,5 looks better middle order than having Ifthi and Azam at 5 and 6...

This is a better lineup , Rizwan should be given the responisibility as vice captain to finish games for the side...

Pakistan will never try this even if they lose 5-0.

Nawaz is mediocre and has no heart for battle. Ifti needs booted as useless as they come.

I am not sure about the input of Adam Hollioake till now. Hafeez is all over the place. This team needs some changes for the next game and the coaches should be putting some effort to improve any issues batter are having out there.

He is a big fan of Azam Khan. Hopefully Azam delivers in the third match.

Sounds committed to the cause and knows his role compared to hafeez
Hopefully we see abit of his gameplay reenacting out on the pitch tomorrow

Back