"One Test is never a fair assessment": Shan Masood

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Shan Masood speaking in presser ahead of the 2nd Test at MCG:

"One Test is never a fair assessment,"

"You need time. You need a bit more time. You've already got a squad that's been playing Test cricket for a while. You have to look at the domestic structure and the players available for red-ball cricket. A lot of things you need before you can sort of force that way of playing."

"You need players to buy in. We want to give players ample opportunity to buy into the way we want to play. There are some things that we've said from the outside that we want to play a more attractive brand of Test cricket. We did that in Sri Lanka. We got some results as well. The challenge now is to do it against the best teams in world cricket."

"We don't want to force people to play a certain way but we've outlined a few things that we want to do better"

"When Australia scored, they scored at 4.5 an over, even though we got the 10 wickets. They set us back with that. And then they bowled, they made sure we didn't get over 3 runs an over. We were 2.6-2.7. Those are the margins. That's where the Test match was lost."

"On Day 4, we saw the pitch, that's where the toss came into play, but the game had been decided in those (first two) days. If we have to compete against Australia here, we have to start well and get quickly off the blocks and play a positive brand of cricket, which you have to give the guys some time. It can't happen overnight. You have to see how players play naturally. You have to convince them as to how you want them to play and then give them a proper chance and also try and set the tone yourself. I thought that I had a decent start in Perth but couldn't capitalise on it. Got out at the wrong time. These are the things that you want to do. But be patient with the players. Just because one match hasn't gone our way, we shouldn't go 'this is isn't working or that there is no Pakistan way'. We should let our team have some time to establish themselves."

"We have to be adaptable to different situations; You also have to give a lot of credit to the openers. When you concede 450 runs in the first innings and you've got heavy legs and you've been out there for 110 overs. They did the right thing over there. They negated the new ball and got through some really good spells from top class bowlers. That's what you needed to do in that situation."

"When I went out, the ball was a bit older, run-scoring was a bit easier. You need to pick your moments and you want to pick your battles. That's what I want the team to do. Be adaptable to different situations. Be positive. And not have huge margins where the other team is scoring at 4.5 and we'll let them score at 4.5 as a bowling unit and not picking up those wickets in an earlier phase and not in 110 overs. And secondly as a batting unit, if we're batting for 100 overs, we'd like to close that gap and score 350 or 360 or something like that. Again it's about from a personal point of view, it's something that I've enjoyed over the last few years. My red-ball in domestic cricket has improved since I started batting more positively. As a batting unit, our goal is to make sure that if we are batting 100 overs then we score at a higher rate."

"We wanted to set a precedent where we wanted to reward people who have been playing red-ball consistently in domestic cricket over the past few years"

"You saw that with the selection of KS (Khurram Shahzad) and AJ (Aamer Jamal) even though a lot of people felt it was quite risky putting two debutants out there. I think they handled themselves well and we have to give them credit because their first outing in Australia was quite decent. The reason to play Sarfaraz was pretty much the same. People go back to stats and Rizwan averages very well in SENA. Firstly there's no competition between the two. They're equally important to the team. Any competition they have is healthy competition. We know what Rizwan has done but we gave Sarfaraz the benefit because he averaged 56.50 on his last tour here in 2016. Yes, that's been quite a while but he's also played red ball consistently in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy in the last few years."

"Rizwan just came from the World Cup, a lot of white ball cricket. And he also had a gap in red-ball cricket since Sarfaraz took over from him for the New Zealand series. Sarfaraz had an outstanding performance there and Rizwan hadn't played a lot of red-ball cricket. So there was a method to it. He's been there, he played red-ball cricket. Karachi had a very good season where he was the tournament's MVP, and that allowed us to get a player like Rizwan into shape. If I had it my way, I'd ideally like both to play but that's not possible. Now we think Rizwan is ready and we can give Saifi that little bit of break to recuperate and come back."

"We were testing each and every player in the two day test game. We were restricted to 13 to 14 places [in the team]. But the whole method was that we’ll go to the ground, and when you spend about 8 to 10 hours at the ground, you get a feel that you would in a test match and just make the practice more intensive because when you are in the nets there are no consequences; it can get very monotonous. So everything was specific towards the match preparation "

" I think we would love to have a one final look at the pitch. Our last look at the pitch was on 21st [December]. I think we should be a bit sensible; make sure we have a full look at the pitch and if we need to play a certain kind of bowler or batsmen, then we would make that decision. That’s why we announced the 12 so the players can also have some clarity.”

"It happens and happens to the best of players [Shaheen Shah Afridi]; you have to give him that margin [of error]. I think he bowled really well in a lot of spells at Perth; there were a lot of plays and misses. Yes, he was a bit expensive to start off with but that’s Shaheen - he was always looking for wickets and we don’t want him to change. I thought that in Perth, the way he bowled, especially in the second innings and a lot of the first innings, he could have gotten some luck his way. But you just give him that time and give him that space and it’s just about that one click; he’s somebody that can turn a match around in an instant. If he bowls well, I‘m sure we would be on the right side."

"Pace is important but in last tour we brought in guys like Naseem Shah and Musa [Khan] with us. So we had pace then but not experience. It's good that we have given chances to two bowlers that were performing really well in the recent domestic tournaments. There was a time when we had secured 15 wickets and would have taken 20 when Usman Khawaja got out but unfortunately that decision get overturned and we missed the opportunity to take 20 wickets. Talking about pace we also tried to bring in guy like Haris Rauf for this reason as he can provide good pace. Naseem was unfortunately injured and Shaheen, we believe whenever he is bowling he is up there in terms of pace. "

"Mir Hamza is also in our squad and he has claimed many wickets in red ball cricket. Hasan Ali also has many performances for Pakistan and he has been playing county cricket for the last two years. So we are in a transitional phase at the moment and looking out for both pace and accuracy that can help us in getting 20 wickets because you can only win matches when you take 20 wickets "

Shan Masood speaking in presser ahead of the 2nd Test at MCG:

"One Test is never a fair assessment,"

"You need time. You need a bit more time. You've already got a squad that's been playing Test cricket for a while. You have to look at the domestic structure and the players available for red-ball cricket. A lot of things you need before you can sort of force that way of playing."

"You need players to buy in. We want to give players ample opportunity to buy into the way we want to play. There are some things that we've said from the outside that we want to play a more attractive brand of Test cricket. We did that in Sri Lanka. We got some results as well. The challenge now is to do it against the best teams in world cricket."

"We don't want to force people to play a certain way but we've outlined a few things that we want to do better"

"When Australia scored, they scored at 4.5 an over, even though we got the 10 wickets. They set us back with that. And then they bowled, they made sure we didn't get over 3 runs an over. We were 2.6-2.7. Those are the margins. That's where the Test match was lost."

"On Day 4, we saw the pitch, that's where the toss came into play, but the game had been decided in those (first two) days. If we have to compete against Australia here, we have to start well and get quickly off the blocks and play a positive brand of cricket, which you have to give the guys some time. It can't happen overnight. You have to see how players play naturally. You have to convince them as to how you want them to play and then give them a proper chance and also try and set the tone yourself. I thought that I had a decent start in Perth but couldn't capitalise on it. Got out at the wrong time. These are the things that you want to do. But be patient with the players. Just because one match hasn't gone our way, we shouldn't go 'this is isn't working or that there is no Pakistan way'. We should let our team have some time to establish themselves."

"We have to be adaptable to different situations; You also have to give a lot of credit to the openers. When you concede 450 runs in the first innings and you've got heavy legs and you've been out there for 110 overs. They did the right thing over there. They negated the new ball and got through some really good spells from top class bowlers. That's what you needed to do in that situation."

"When I went out, the ball was a bit older, run-scoring was a bit easier. You need to pick your moments and you want to pick your battles. That's what I want the team to do. Be adaptable to different situations. Be positive. And not have huge margins where the other team is scoring at 4.5 and we'll let them score at 4.5 as a bowling unit and not picking up those wickets in an earlier phase and not in 110 overs. And secondly as a batting unit, if we're batting for 100 overs, we'd like to close that gap and score 350 or 360 or something like that. Again it's about from a personal point of view, it's something that I've enjoyed over the last few years. My red-ball in domestic cricket has improved since I started batting more positively. As a batting unit, our goal is to make sure that if we are batting 100 overs then we score at a higher rate."

"We wanted to set a precedent where we wanted to reward people who have been playing red-ball consistently in domestic cricket over the past few years"

"You saw that with the selection of KS (Khurram Shahzad) and AJ (Aamer Jamal) even though a lot of people felt it was quite risky putting two debutants out there. I think they handled themselves well and we have to give them credit because their first outing in Australia was quite decent. The reason to play Sarfaraz was pretty much the same. People go back to stats and Rizwan averages very well in SENA. Firstly there's no competition between the two. They're equally important to the team. Any competition they have is healthy competition. We know what Rizwan has done but we gave Sarfaraz the benefit because he averaged 56.50 on his last tour here in 2016. Yes, that's been quite a while but he's also played red ball consistently in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy in the last few years."

"Rizwan just came from the World Cup, a lot of white ball cricket. And he also had a gap in red-ball cricket since Sarfaraz took over from him for the New Zealand series. Sarfaraz had an outstanding performance there and Rizwan hadn't played a lot of red-ball cricket. So there was a method to it. He's been there, he played red-ball cricket. Karachi had a very good season where he was the tournament's MVP, and that allowed us to get a player like Rizwan into shape. If I had it my way, I'd ideally like both to play but that's not possible. Now we think Rizwan is ready and we can give Saifi that little bit of break to recuperate and come back."
Yep one test can't be a criteria for performance judgement. May be we can afford him more time to prove his worth as a worthy captain.

Maybe not, but you have played 30 Tests for Pakistan and have proved it Test after Test and series after series that you are not good enough to be a Test batsman and here you are, captaining the Test team.

Yep one test can't be a criteria for performance judgement. May be we can afford him more time to prove his worth as a worthy captain.

His point is more for the team and not himself.

People will always be quick to throw judgements as Pakistan has been facing failures in Australia for more than two decades now.

The thought process of Sarfaraz vs Rizwan in the first Test was interesting.
If that was the case, it's hard luck for Sarfaraz to be given a chance at Perth where batting is so difficult, and then for Rizwan to play at the MCG where batting is easier.

The thought process of Sarfaraz vs Rizwan in the first Test was interesting.
If that was the case, it's hard luck for Sarfaraz to be given a chance at Perth where batting is so difficult, and then for Rizwan to play at the MCG where batting is easier.
Well hard luck for Sarfaraz. Now Rizwan will get the praises as the "ought to be" first choice wicket keeper.

It was a fair enough assessment to drop Sarfaraz though????

Interesting comments, guy knows what he is doing. But unfortunately is not talented enough to execute things.

Hand on heart.

100% yes! He deserves his fair chance! What’s the point of changing him only when all others failed in the last Test??
ok so u want to put whole series on stake just to give sarfaraz a fair chance?

the way he got out in last test was the indicator that he has done now, more chances wont make his game better anymore.

So are we a little more sympathetic to Shan Masood's Pakistan?

Hand on heart.

100% yes! He deserves his fair chance! What’s the point of changing him only when all others failed in the last Test??
What does anyone “deserve” anything in cricket?

We should select our best XI for the conditions. Rizwan is better in SENA conditions than Sarfraz as well as being a better wicket keeper.

What does anyone “deserve” anything in cricket?

We should select our best XI for the conditions. Rizwan is better in SENA conditions than Sarfraz as well as being a better wicket keeper.
Why don’t you drop Babar then? If there is no such thing as deserve?

There's hope under Shan Masood. He's agressive proactive and smart. I feel we'll do much better at home under him

Basically Shan is echoing that we are an average team with mediocre players, full stop

Yes, one test is never a fair assessment and people in Pakistan are aware of this. You won't see people complaining about a player's performance only after 1-2 matches but if a player doesn't perform well in all the series/tournament then there will definitely be a response from the fans as well as the media.

It's been two tests now and I am sure that with such a team combination nothing significant is going to happen in the third test too

I am sure that after 100 Tests he will make the same comment that 100 Tests are not good enough to assess his captaincy.

Shan must be wary here as SSA thought the same but was finished after just 1 series.

Back