"Only those whose domain it is can tell you why I am not being selected for ODIs" : Mohammad Hafeez

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"Only those whose domain it is can tell you why I am not being selected for ODIs" : Mohammad Hafeez

Mohammad Hafeez speaking to the media on the eve of the 4-match T20I series against South Africa:

Hafeez on his 100th T20I game for Pakistan

"I am so happy, proud and humbled by the fact that I will Inshallah play my 100th T20I game for Pakistan tomorrow; I played the first game that Pakistan played in this format in Bristol and tomorrow, I will hopefully play the 100th game also"

"I am looking forward to making a significant contribution in the game tomorrow and to play a good innings"

Hafeez on Fakhar bat statement and his praise for Hafeez

"It's really nice of Fakhar Zaman to have praised me and spoken about the bat. However, he has put me into a lot of problems as I have been inundated with demands for 1000s of bats and it seems I will have to open up a factory for bats"

"I feel instead of the bat, the credit should go to Fakhar Zaman because it was a very special innings from him"

"It's always tough for anyone to make a comeback and the attitude, hunger and determination that Fakhar has shown in the ODIs is something which others can learn from"

"Whilst we lost that game, the strong statement that was made from Fakhar's innings of 193 was that Pakistan cannot ever be written off"

Regarding his bowling

"I have faced a lot of problems in the past 4-5 years as far as issues related to my bowling are concerned. But, I have always tried to maintain my status as an all-rounder throughout my career; Even now, I am fully available to bowl for my team whenever given the chance to do so; In T20s I am able to bowl all 4 overs and 10 overs when asked to do so in ODIs - In fact, I see no shortcomings in my abilities in this part of my game and whenever I am asked to do so, and whenever I am considered good enough for this role. This is up to the captain and the management to utilize me in the best way possible; I for one am completely available and looking forward to contribute with my batting and bowling"

Hafeez on Sharjeel Khan

"I don't recall making any statement regarding Sharjeel Khan; However, I have always had a principled stance which you all know about - But, I am not the one who is a policy maker and only those people need to decide on this"

"If I ever get a chance to be at the level (of decision making), then I will definitely try my level best but at the moment we are all here to represent Pakistan and I pray and hope that whoever plays for Pakistan, plays with pride and makes sure that our honour is preserved, and no such action done or word spoken which brings Pakistan's name into disrepute"

Playing in other formats for Pakistan

"I decided to retire from Tests after I felt that I had enough of this format and that I had done what I could (to serve Pakistan); I have been totally available since 2019 to play in all white-ball formats; I am trying to provide maximum services in every format that I have been asked to play in and that is all I can do, and I am enjoying this"

"I am totally available to play white-ball cricket; I am able to meet all criteria that the management has set for this such as fitness, performance; However, since 2019 World Cup, I have only been asked to play in one white-ball format and I am trying to add value and give everything I have for the country; Only those whose domain it is can tell you about the policy and mindset for the reason why I have not, and am still not being selected for ODIs"

"From my side, I want to continue my services for Pakistan; The day I feel, like I did when I ended my Test career, that I am not justifying my position in the side I will step away with satisfaction of having done well and will do so with honour, pride and of leaving a legacy behind"

Pakistan's Middle-Order problems

"Anyone who plays for Pakistan is only there because they are deserving of that opportunity - it's not the case that we call someone sitting at home and make him play for Pakistan; They have gone through a process and played domestic cricket for a few years and selectors pick them based upon their performance in domestic cricket; So when a player does get a chance to play for Pakistan, they have justify that"

"Our middle-order has some deficiencies which need to be fixed but we should be happy with the top-order's performances as the top 4 batsmen are playing magnificently, so we need to praise them"

"The players in the middle order are the same players who are part of our system, and someone has to step up and I am sure someone will do that definitely"

Last edited:
In England we have a game in arcades, you put a coin in squirrels pops up, you slam them down with a hammer and they pop up again through different holes. You keep slamming them down they keep popping up. And so is the legend that is Mo Hafeez that no matter how much you slam him down he keeps popping up.

Never in my 40 years of watching cricket have I seen a more dheet player. I will maintain that in a squad abundant with left arm spinners, leg break bowlers, all rounders generally there will always be the need for an off spin batting all rounder and until somebody better comes along hafeez will always be in contention.

That said consider this, who from the years 2003 onwards is still there..? Corruption got the better of a few, injuries took the rest, changes in format ie new balls made a few redundant. biomechanics and subsequent law amendments ended many careers but through all this Hafeez stands tall.

His is the story of remarkable resilience. Old age , boredom , family life , corporate careers, drugs, lure of t20 leagues anything could have put an end to his national career yet he stumbles along content with his mediocrity, the ultimate yes man. I’m yet to think of any serious injury any silly media statement let alone action that could have curtailed his career. Chairman after chairman, captain after Captain coach after coach all have left yet he stands tall.

I don’t know whether we should mourn his desire to continue to play or marvel at this model of resilience. But one thing is for sure when my 5 year old grows to be a teenager I will tell him son, look there is Hafeez still going strong, a reminder that in life you don’t have to be good or particularly talented at anything. you just have to have enough stickability that all around you fall on their own swords and you will be made king just because there is nobody else around.

Mohammed hafeez we salute you.

100 T20s but nothing to write home about. Only in Pakistan would someone like him made it this far. I’m surprised people trash Saeed Ajmal for knowingly chucking and don’t mention this guy at all.

Hafeez regularly sounds bitter and one considerable failing of his is that he's always put himself before the team. It took him ages to relinquish the opening spot which he underachieved in. He'll be 42 by the next WC yet he's still moaning publicly about his treatment in ODI's firmly believing he should be there over any younger man.

I have no doubt that Hafeez 2.0 would have simply been 'Hafeez' had he had a better attitude much earlier in his career.

While he might make it to 2023 (despite history being against him) it is common sense that he'd be left out for now while selectors try and find a replacement. If he's fit and firing at that time then he will play.

Last edited:
As pathetic as it may sound, a 40 year old Hafeez is probably the best option for our middle order.

No one currently in the Pakistani circuit hits the ball better than him. In the last year and a bit we have seen him play some blistering innings against quality oppositions, innings the likes of Khushdhil, Asif and Iftikhar can only dream of playing.

For us to succeed in ODI's our middle order should ideally look like: Rizwan, Hafeez, Haider. Rizwan can play anchor until the 35th over and than Hafeez and Haider can help thoroughly finish off the innings.

Is it sad that our best striker of the ball is 40? Yes but do we have any better alternatives? No

Side note: Respect Hafeez for not catering to disgusting match fixers like Sharjeel

Hafeez playing the world cup 2023 would be a joke.

I don't disagree. But playing Asif Ali, Iftikhar, or Khushdil would be a bigger joke. If he's still fit till then and performing, then why not? Even right now, he's the best option we've got for the middle order.

Sadly , he is the only best option for our lower middle order, he is not going anywhere till 2023

Anyone that still thinks that Hafeez is still even an option needs there head examining. It's one of the better decisions made recently and hopefully he is kicked out forever. But knowing the way our selectors and hand panick, don't br surprised that he returns. Don't look back,look forward

Sadly , he is the only best option for our lower middle order, he is not going anywhere till 2023

What did he achieve in the last WC or over his 18 year career. Just a very average player who should got one 4 Yr cycle, ends up getting 5. Absolute rubbish

I don't disagree. But playing Asif Ali, Iftikhar, or Khushdil would be a bigger joke. If he's still fit till then and performing, then why not? Even right now, he's the best option we've got for the middle order.

Then look for others and keep trying until you find them.

Tricky one.

Hafeez will be 43 when the next 50-over World Cup comes around.

Will he still be in the form of his life? Will he still be as fit as he is at the moment?

Tricky one.

Hafeez will be 43 when the next 50-over World Cup comes around.

Will he still be in the form of his life? Will he still be as fit as he is at the moment?

Let's be honest with the options we have in ODI for the middle order.

1. Mohammad Rizwan
2. Sarfaraz Ahmed
3. Asif Ali
4. Danish Aziz
5. Haider Ali
6. Sohaib Maqsood
7. Rohail Nazir
8. Imad Wasim
9. Faheem Ashraf
10. Mohammad Nawaz
11. Haris Sohail
12. Saud Shakeel

Out of those options, we need to categorize them into players who can play at 4, 5, 6, and 7.

At 4:
Rizwan
Sarfaraz
Haider
Sohaib
Saud
Haris
Rohail

At 5:
Sohaib
Haider
Danish

At 6:
Sohaib
Haider
Imad
Asif
Danish

At 7:
Imad
Nawaz
Faheem
Asif

Now that we look at the options, where are we lacking.

There are a lot of candidates for #4, so that's a position we can fill without the services of Hafeez.

#5 is where it gets interesting. Hafeez, with his struggles in maintaining a clean action, can't really be a reliable bowling option for the team. However, as a batsman, he is good enough to play in that position and if need be, he can bowl one or two overs of right arm off spin, giving us something against left-handed batsmen in the middle overs. Haider and Sohaib are the two other options. I think Sohaib should be brought into the team and we should see how he handles batting at that position, and we could try Haider if Sohaib doesn't work.

#6, the best option is Imad from my viewpoint. Very good average and very healthy strike rate.

#7 is not that important, can be filled by one of Nawaz or Faheem given the pitch conditions.

Hafeez could be worth the gamble if our middle order can't seem to work, but Sohaib and Haider need to be tried ahead of him.

Hes a good enough option. If hafeez can show his striking abilities in t20 cricket, i see no reason why he should not play the fnishers role in one day at no.6

age is non issue as many others have played till 45

Hafeez should stick to t20Is and serve Pakistan in the next two t20 WCs if not one and then retire. Hopefully, he will maintain his 2.0 level and be the king hes being.

[MENTION=147292]RedwoodOriginal[/MENTION]

Still waiting for the apology over the fake news of Hafeez’s ODI retirement.

Hafeez walks into our middle-order. It doesn’t matter if he is older than Prince Charles - he is miles better than the likes of Shadab, Danish, Sarfraz, Asif, Iftikhar and the other rubbish players we have tried in the middle-order since his exclusion.

[MENTION=147292]RedwoodOriginal[/MENTION]

Still waiting for the apology over the fake news of Hafeez’s ODI retirement.

Keep waiting because I won't be offering any.

I thought he was retired and that's my bad for not knowing that he wasn't. But I'm not offering any apology.

Selecting Hafeez in ODIs would be beyond ridiculous considering his days are numbered and the World Cup is 2 years away, which is ample time to build a group of 15-20 guys that can be relied on as potential match-winners for Pakistan. A lot of the ingredients are already there in all departments but what those guys need are consistent runs so they can get a proper chance to establish themselves on the international level.

I don't think alot of them are there yet. Which is why Hafeez's selection in T20s makes sense. Because you essentially have two back to back T20 World Cups coming up, and Hafeez right now is in absolute monster form. Therefore there is alot to be gained from him being in the form of his life.

But there is a very low probability that he will be on that same level two years from now. If he somehow drags himself to the 2023 World Cup: a) the chances of him pulling a 'Shoaib Malik' are very high. And b) he definitely won't be around after it. So what then?

These "meaningless ODIs" are just what Pakistan needs going into the 2023 World Cup to build a team that can be a legitimate contender for the trophy. Selecting someone like Hafeez for ODIs would be equivalent to taking a couple of steps backwards, rather than moving forward in pursuit of that ultimate goal.

Last edited:

Even if he is the right person right now how do you know he will be right one in 2 years time.

Lol even Misbah had left the ODI team at this stage.

I guess Hafeez is probably thinking, hang on, bringing Sarfaraz back is short-term thinking, so why can't they pick me as well in the ODI team.

I thought he was around 37 something but just checked his age he is a 40 years old veteran and he is still wondering why selectors are not picking him? :inti

I thought he was around 37 something but just checked his age he is a 40 years old veteran and he is still wondering why selectors are not picking him? :inti

We would like to know as well. :inti

Seems as though our selector has a communication issue as he didn't explain to Yasir Shah why he was left out for the tests against Zimbabwe.

Even though on form he would stroll into that middle order

Hes 41 its time we looked to the future and build towards the odi world cup How can pakistan cricket move forward if we keep going back

He should have done the decent thing and retired from odis after the last world cup after his poor showing once again in that

These sound bites in the media that im available do no good to the team whatsoever

Last edited:
In England we have a game in arcades, you put a coin in squirrels pops up, you slam them down with a hammer and they pop up again through different holes. You keep slamming them down they keep popping up. And so is the legend that is Mo Hafeez that no matter how much you slam him down he keeps popping up.

Never in my 40 years of watching cricket have I seen a more dheet player. I will maintain that in a squad abundant with left arm spinners, leg break bowlers, all rounders generally there will always be the need for an off spin batting all rounder and until somebody better comes along hafeez will always be in contention.

That said consider this, who from the years 2003 onwards is still there..? Corruption got the better of a few, injuries took the rest, changes in format ie new balls made a few redundant. biomechanics and subsequent law amendments ended many careers but through all this Hafeez stands tall.

His is the story of remarkable resilience. Old age , boredom , family life , corporate careers, drugs, lure of t20 leagues anything could have put an end to his national career yet he stumbles along content with his mediocrity, the ultimate yes man. I’m yet to think of any serious injury any silly media statement let alone action that could have curtailed his career. Chairman after chairman, captain after Captain coach after coach all have left yet he stands tall.

I don’t know whether we should mourn his desire to continue to play or marvel at this model of resilience. But one thing is for sure when my 5 year old grows to be a teenager I will tell him son, look there is Hafeez still going strong, a reminder that in life you don’t have to be good or particularly talented at anything. you just have to have enough stickability that all around you fall on their own swords and you will be made king just because there is nobody else around.

Mohammed hafeez we salute you.

Great post.

Hafeez is one clever guy.

Haha!

He'll be brought back for ODIs soon enough. He'll then target the 2021 World T20, then the World Cup 2023 and carry on for a few more years.

Maybe because your north of 40 years old.

Quite frankly it’s embarrassing and pathetic that we have no one younger who is better as a middle order batsman. He is the best Pakistan have at the moment which begs to ask many questions.

it seems they have tried all the options available. our quality talent pool is a bit too short

And then you keep trying. Both Michael Vaughan and Trescothick had pretty ropey FC records but became great players. There is no exact science in selection and I am sure we will find others.

He is super old and should not part of the WC. It's really just that simple.

The goal should be to try different combinations and players to see what is the best fit for the 23' WC, not to play Hafeez because you are so fixated on winning short-term. The selectors have absolute done the right thing.

0 overs today for Hafeez

Despite some of his team-mates being smashed all over the park.

Here’s your chance, let’s see how you perform in this situation..can you win the game for Pakistan?

Getting runs in easy dead match situations against poor bowling is one thing - do it here to show you can do it when it really matters too once in a while.

0 overs today for Hafeez

Despite some of his team-mates being smashed all over the park.

No point of him bowling anymore. It will be the same story all the time.

Bowls one match, gets reported, banned, remodels his actions and bowls again.

Here’s your chance, let’s see how you perform in this situation..can you win the game for Pakistan?

Getting runs in easy dead match situations against poor bowling is one thing - do it here to show you can do it when it really matters too once in a while.

Oh well , maybe not today - I’m sure there will be brighter and sunnier days against Zimbabwe to demonstrate your match winning abilities.

His job was done.

He made the required 13 runs to overtake Malik as Pakistan's leading runscorer in T20Is :p

Senior batsman Mohammad Hafeez will be offered a new central contract in a higher category after he refused to accept a short-term contract some months back from the Pakistan Cricket Board.

The 40-year-old was dropped from the list of centrally contracted players last year in May along with Wahab Riaz, Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Amir but after he performed well the PCB was forced to offer him a short-term contract earlier this year.

However, Hafeez didn't accept the offer as he was not happy at being offered a spot in category C.

According to a reliable PCB source, Hafeez is the only senior player who will be given the new central contract from July 1 while chances of other seniors like Shoaib Malik, Wahab Riaz and Haris Sohail getting contracts is very slim.

"The cricket committee of the PCB will be meeting with the head coach, coaches and captain of the national team when it returns from Zimbabwe after which the chief selector will sit down with the management and PCB CEO and finalize the list of players to be given the new central contracts," the source said.

The existing contracts end in June and the source said that due to the prevailing COVID-19 situation the board is also considering giving players some financial rewards in their contracts for spending long periods in the bio-secure bubbles at home and on away tours.

"Hafeez is likely to be offered a new contract in an enhanced category while senior batsman and former captain, Azhar Ali is likely to be demoted from category A to B as he is now playing just one format," he added.

The source said that the PCB was considering giving some of the consistent performers like Hasan Ali, Faheem Ashraf new enhanced contracts from July, while some players like Usman Shinwari, Iftikhar Ahmed etc may lose their contracts in the new list.

Wicketkeeper-batsman Mohammad Rizwan who has been Pakistan's leading batsman in all formats in recent times is likely to be retained in category A.

"Rizwan was initially named in category B of the contracts last year but earlier this year the board gave him a promotion because of his form and he will be retained in category A," he said.

In-form batsman Fawad Alam, who has scored three centuries since his comeback to the Pakistan team last year in July, was also not part of the central contracts for 2020/21 but was later included in category C at the same time when Rizwan was given the promotion.

"Fawad will get a promotion to category B in new contracts because of his superb performances as will opener Fakhar Zaman who is also presently in category C."

In May last year, the PCB had announced central contracts in three categories for 18 players, while three cricketers -- Haider Ali, Haris Rauf and Mohammad Hasnain -- were named in the emerging players' category.

The PCB pays players monthly retainers ranging from 1.1 million to ₹500,000 besides their match fees and bonuses. Players who don't get central contracts are paid match fees and bonuses for their appearances but don't get the monthly retainers.

The source said the PCB might also consider enhancing match fees of those players who are now only playing Test matches like Azhar, Fawad, Shan Masood, Mohammad Abbas etc.

The PCB last year had also announced a comprehensive pay structure for domestic players which is as below.

The 2020-21 and enhanced monthly retainer structure is:

Category A = 10 players, PKR 150,000 per month (66k INR)

Category A = 38 players, PKR 85,000 per month (37K INR)

Category B = 48 players, PKR 75,000 per month (33k INR)

Category C = 72 players, PKR 65,000 per month (28k INR)

Category D = 24 players, PKR 40,000 per month (17.5k INR).

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-central-contract-by-pcb-101620045423345.html

Back