"Our PSL has, in my opinion, inflicted severe damage on IPL" : Tauseef Ahmed

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1398347/tauseef-takes-dig-ipl-says-psl-damaged/

Pakistan Cricket Board’s selection committee member Tauseef Ahmed believes the Pakistan Super League (PSL), despite its young age, has already emerged as a major threat to the glitzy cash-rich Indian Premier League.

“A country (India) has been organising such a league for six or seven years, but we have only staged it twice and results are there for all to see,” Tauseef told The Express Tribune. “Our PSL has, in my opinion, inflicted severe damage on their league, and the credit goes to everyone including both Najam Sethi and Shaharyar Khan.”

Tauseef is of the opinion that just two seasons of PSL has replenished Pakistan’s talent pool, which is a testament to the league’s success.
“The PSL gave us new talent such as Muhammad Nawaz, Muhammad Asghar before and now Shadab Khan,” he said. “These players have already played under so much pressure in PSL that the stress of international cricket doesn’t overwhelm them.”

The former Test cricketer also urged the country’s cricket fraternity to work together and rise above the controversies of the past.

“As a cricketer and as a Pakistani, I can say that these last seven, eight years have been incredibly difficult,” said the 58-year-old Tauseef. “Our cricket has been damaged and everyone knows who was behind it. Now, it’s our job to rebuild it.”

That rebuilding, Tauseef feels, begins from the domestic circuit, with the recently held Pakistan Cup a prime example.

“The level of talent on show in the Pakistan Cup was really amazing,” he said. “You have seen that the bowlers had to put in a lot of hard work as it was a high-scoring tournament. Bowlers had to work very hard as runs were coming very easily. Teams were easily chasing down totals even in excess of 300.

“No matter how big, no total was out of reach in the Pakistan Cup. There was a ton scored practically every day. This was in line with modern day cricket as nowadays totals of 200 can’t be defended.”

In Tauseef’s opinion, the tide has finally turned in Pakistan cricket, and the primitive mind-set of out batters has finally changed.

“It’s there for all to see that the mind-sets are finally changing, which is a very promising sign. We have a lot of talent, but the difference is at international level there is a lot of pressure. You have to really use your head there, and tournaments such as Pakistan Cup will help us reinforce the habit of thinking in our cricketers. Shadab is a shining example of this. He is someone who doesn’t wilt when the going gets tough.”

Tauseef also clarified that contrary to traditional misgivings about the selection process, the current regime, led by Inzamamul Haq, picks players ‘purely on merit’.

“A lot of people have this misconception that sifarishat (commendations) work, but let me tell you honestly that is not the case,” he said. “We pick purely on merit.”

PSL did not give u talents like Asghar and shadab.

PSL made it more easier for lazy selectors like you to sit at home and select players from the TV instead of going to the ground.

neechi soch by Tauseef Ahmed :facepalm: There is no need to compare PSL with IPL.

“Our cricket has been damaged and everyone knows who was behind it. Now, it’s our job to rebuild it.”

As much as my heart wants to agree, my mind isn't agreeing. We need to change this mindset and hold ourselves accountable for our failures.

How exactly did the psl damage the ipl?

Our "experts" always have to say something about India to make themselves feel better.

The obsession that we have with the IPL and Indian cricket, borne out of inferiority complex, is simply baffling.

The obsession that we have with the IPL and Indian cricket, borne out of inferiority complex, is simply baffling.

Have you ever considered that perhaps it is you with the inferiority complex? You bash Pakistan at any chance you get - incorrectly thinking that you are a progressive thinker because you can criticize your country. Criticism is important, but I have noticed that you clearly overdo it.

The PSL has been an excellent league thus far, and the quality of cricket in the second season has surpassed the quality of cricket seen in the IPL these days. It has nothing to do with the amount of money involved in the league. Strictly speaking, the quality of cricket and the competitiveness of the league has been top notch. Give credit where it is due, and in the process you may achieve more credibility.

Its ok to say such things,but what damage is he talking about?

Just wow, bunch of incompetent selectors, who have no idea whom to select barring k Akmal and hafeez and blames other boards for their dismal performance. Got to kick out these worthless selectors first.

Just wow, bunch of incompetent selectors, who have no idea whom to select barring k Akmal and hafeez and blames other boards for their dismal performance. Got to kick out these worthless selectors first.

I respectfully agree.

Have you ever considered that perhaps it is you with the inferiority complex? You bash Pakistan at any chance you get - incorrectly thinking that you are a progressive thinker because you can criticize your country. Criticism is important, but I have noticed that you clearly overdo it.

The PSL has been an excellent league thus far, and the quality of cricket in the second season has surpassed the quality of cricket seen in the IPL these days. It has nothing to do with the amount of money involved in the league. Strictly speaking, the quality of cricket and the competitiveness of the league has been top notch. Give credit where it is due, and in the process you may achieve more credibility.

Spot on. After the first 2 seasons, the IPL has been boring with some of the least competitive pitches in the history of the sport. The Big Bash was my go to t20 watch but the PSL, in particular this season season, has been exceptional.

Firstly, quality of cricket is subjective. For example, teams limping to 150 is not quality T20 cricket in my view, I would much rather see team blast their way to 200+ scores. Big hitting is what the shorter format was developed for, and we have not seen much of it in the PSL. You may think that the PSL is better cricket than the IPL just like how every second grader thinks that this lunch box is prettier than the other student's, but the fact is that the PSL is absolutely - in no shape or form - comparable to the IPL at this point, irrespective of what metric you use.

Be it the number of international stars, the international hype, the quality of coverage, the crowd/audience and the money involved. IPL is the biggest cricket league in the world and there is not a single non-Pakistani cricketer out there who would prefer to play in the PSL over the IPL. The likes of Pietersen etc. are not good enough to play in the IPL anymore, but they remain the biggest PSL stars.

What you or Tauseef Ahmad think in private is no one's business, but for someone in his position to make rubbish statements like is not just embarrassing himself but rather, he is embarrassing the whole nation as well. PSL is our thing and we don't need to compare it to the biggest T20 league in the world. It is true that we must aspire to be the best, and there is nothing wrong with hoping that the PSL becomes as successful as the IPL one day. After all, the PSL would not have existed if it wasn't for the IPL. However, to claim that the PSL has damaged the IPL is as absurd as someone like Shehzad comparing himself to Kohli. Shehzad is to Kohli was the PSL is to the IPL at this point. You may think otherwise, but that is your opinion.

The IPL gets bigger and bigger every year, and the PSL will not be on the same footing until we are able to pour equivalent money into the PSL in order to attract the biggest contemporary stars (which we cannot) and are able to host the whole tournament in Pakistan (which we cannot). In addition, even if we do that, PSL will still lag behind because the PCB does not have the pulling power of the BCCI (again, it all due to BCCI's competence and PCB's incompetence) and it will not be able to have a dedicated window like the IPL. If you think this is 'inferiority complex', than I am happy to live with this inferiority complex rather than with the delusion that the PSL is better than the IPL in some parallel universe where pigs fly.

Instead of opening our mouths to spout nonsense on TV, we need to think these through and not expose our buffoonery. An extremely poor comment by Tauseef Ahmad that cannot be justified. As far as my credibility is concerned, I am not here to achieve credibility or make friends. I will say what I have to say, and the others are free to judge me if they wish. As far as not giving credit is concerned, I have stated it time and time again that the PSL management have done an excellent job. After two seasons, it couldn't have been better given the number of constraints. However, to state the obvious, i.e. it is Mickey Mouse compared to the IPL is not equivalent to not giving credit where it is due.

Someone needs to sack him!!!

What an embarrassment

"Our PSL has, in my opinion, inflicted severe damage on their league"

What Damage? LOL :snack:

PSL gave Pakistan some talented youngsters. Agreed.

Where is the damage part? :20:

Tauseef also clarified that contrary to traditional misgivings about the selection process, the current regime, led by Inzamamul Haq, picks players ‘purely on merit’.

“A lot of people have this misconception that sifarishat (commendations) work, but let me tell you honestly that is not the case,” he said. “We pick purely on merit.”

How can this guy say this with a STRAIGHT FACE? I mean, he doesn't FEAR anything? How on earth did he and other selectors pick Shan Masood?

That too over Sami?

I think we all agree that PSL is producing better cricket than IPL. But what was the need to bash IPL?

Tauseef talking utter rubbish once again.

I know these guys need to do chamchagiri of PSL officials to keep their jobs but talking this nonsense is ridiculous.

To say that the PSL produced Nawaz, Asghar and Shadab shows Tauseef's lack of and awareness and knowledge of Pakistan cricket.

Last edited:
Garbage stuff as usual from our selectors. Do these guys even have functioning brain cells ??

Firstly, quality of cricket is subjective. For example, teams limping to 150 is not quality T20 cricket in my view, I would much rather see team blast their way to 200+ scores. Big hitting is what the shorter format was developed for, and we have not seen much of it in the PSL. You may think that the PSL is better cricket than the IPL just like how every second grader thinks that this lunch box is prettier than the other student's, but the fact is that the PSL is absolutely - in no shape or form - comparable to the IPL at this point, irrespective of what metric you use.

Be it the number of international stars, the international hype, the quality of coverage, the crowd/audience and the money involved. IPL is the biggest cricket league in the world and there is not a single non-Pakistani cricketer out there who would prefer to play in the PSL over the IPL. The likes of Pietersen etc. are not good enough to play in the IPL anymore, but they remain the biggest PSL stars.

What you or Tauseef Ahmad think in private is no one's business, but for someone in his position to make rubbish statements like is not just embarrassing himself but rather, he is embarrassing the whole nation as well. PSL is our thing and we don't need to compare it to the biggest T20 league in the world. It is true that we must aspire to be the best, and there is nothing wrong with hoping that the PSL becomes as successful as the IPL one day. After all, the PSL would not have existed if it wasn't for the IPL. However, to claim that the PSL has damaged the IPL is as absurd as someone like Shehzad comparing himself to Kohli. Shehzad is to Kohli was the PSL is to the IPL at this point. You may think otherwise, but that is your opinion.

The IPL gets bigger and bigger every year, and the PSL will not be on the same footing until we are able to pour equivalent money into the PSL in order to attract the biggest contemporary stars (which we cannot) and are able to host the whole tournament in Pakistan (which we cannot). In addition, even if we do that, PSL will still lag behind because the PCB does not have the pulling power of the BCCI (again, it all due to BCCI's competence and PCB's incompetence) and it will not be able to have a dedicated window like the IPL. If you think this is 'inferiority complex', than I am happy to live with this inferiority complex rather than with the delusion that the PSL is better than the IPL in some parallel universe where pigs fly.

Instead of opening our mouths to spout nonsense on TV, we need to think these through and not expose our buffoonery. An extremely poor comment by Tauseef Ahmad that cannot be justified. As far as my credibility is concerned, I am not here to achieve credibility or make friends. I will say what I have to say, and the others are free to judge me if they wish. As far as not giving credit is concerned, I have stated it time and time again that the PSL management have done an excellent job. After two seasons, it couldn't have been better given the number of constraints. However, to state the obvious, i.e. it is Mickey Mouse compared to the IPL is not equivalent to not giving credit where it is due.

Once again, you are equating success of the league with its financial capacity. The IPL is a cash cow because of the capital the BCCI were able to invest in it, and it is directly related to the demand of cricket in India. The superstars go there simply because of the financial gain.

The PSL doesn't have the finances or the demand that the IPL does (simply due to different markets), but it has produced far better cricket. There is an even contest between bat and ball, there are both quality batsmen and bowlers, and there is parity amongst the teams - the amount of last over thrillers in the second edition was outstanding. If your idea of quality cricket is brainless bowlers being smashed for 200+ each game, then we differ fundamentally in our idea of quality cricket. There is no point discussing this further.

Gotta agree with Mamoon here. Pakistanis need to celebrate PSL and let go of this inferiority complex when it comes to IPL or Indian Cricket. Comparisons with IPL only make PSL look like a C grade league, so why do that?

Once again, you are equating success of the league with its financial capacity. The IPL is a cash cow because of the capital the BCCI were able to invest in it, and it is directly related to the demand of cricket in India. The superstars go there simply because of the financial gain.

The PSL doesn't have the finances or the demand that the IPL does (simply due to different markets), but it has produced far better cricket. There is an even contest between bat and ball, there are both quality batsmen and bowlers, and there is parity amongst the teams - the amount of last over thrillers in the second edition was outstanding. If your idea of quality cricket is brainless bowlers being smashed for 200+ each game, then we differ fundamentally in our idea of quality cricket. There is no point discussing this further.

Send PSL bowlers to IPL, and they will be smashed for 250. I can force myself to agree with you on the "parity" part, but what use is parity when skills on display are substandard?

I think we are missing a point here.

PSL represents a major threat to IPL viewing numbers and it should!

Nothing wrong in IPL looking to undermine PSL and they could do it with exclusivity clauses.

Its just business.

I think we are missing a point here.

PSL represents a major threat to IPL viewing numbers and it should!

Nothing wrong in IPL looking to undermine PSL and they could do it with exclusivity clauses.

Its just business.

IPL's majority viewers are Indians. PSL is not even broadcasted in India.

Not a fan of exclusivity agreements,but sooner or later there will be consolidation in league business.The biggest and deepest pocketed leagues will survive.

I dont know what does he mean by inflicted damage?What kind of damage?

PSL is for Pakistan.But it is astonishing that the selector is talking about players being found after 2 seasons.These players were likely playing in Pakistan domestic tournamnets which the selectors didnt bother watching and kept selecting Akmat bros,Hafeez as opener etc etc.

Silly statements. PSL is a very small league at the moment and it will never be big enough unless cricket returns to Pakistan. What is the point of comparing it to IPL. IPL is the premier T20 tournament in the world right now which the whole world looks forward to.

It is so embarrassing to see our so called selectors make these stupid remarks. We're not concerned with them and they are not with us. What is the damage he's talking about?! :facepalm:

Tbh I doubt a lot of Indians even know that the PSL exists seeing as it gets next to no coverage here. I'm not sure how PSL would be hurting IPL in overseas markets either. They're not even played at the same time.

Honestly don't think anyone care about PSL.. IPL is stupid too but you do get even some non-indians cheering for the guys from their team.

The PSL-IPL comment is bad enough, but for me, this takes the cake -

“As a cricketer and as a Pakistani, I can say that these last seven, eight years have been incredibly difficult,” said the 58-year-old Tauseef. “Our cricket has been damaged and everyone knows who was behind it. Now, it’s our job to rebuild it.”

A BCCI/India reference surely, right?

Don't think the Pakistan cricket will improve if these guys are running their Cricket.

He managed to outdo himself 2-3 times in the same interview.

Shockingly bad.

1) Why do you care about the IPL as a selector?
2) PSL didn't give Pakistan those players. Everyone knew about them well in advance (except for the selectors apparently).
3) You don't take "sifarish"? Sure. But don't use the word "merit" at least when you're selecting random players on a whim! :))

Totally agree

Former Test off-spinner Tauseef Ahmed named his former colleague and co-hero of the famous 1987 Bangalore Test victory Iqbal Qasim as his dream partner from yesteryears before naming former leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed as his other partner.

Tauseef Ahmed, who took 93 wickets in a 34-match-long Test career, said: “I am very lucky that in my career I played with the likes of Abdul Qadir and Iqbal Qasim. If asked to pick one spinner as my partner, I would go for Iqbal Qasim who partnered with me in the famous 1987 Bangalore Test win.

“The performance we gave in that Test match is for all to see and remember. Iqbal remained very helpful and mentored me throughout my career.

“I would also like to choose Mushtaq Ahmed as my other partner. Although, I didn’t play much with Mushtaq, I always admired his skills and temperament. Mushtaq was a very exciting player and never used to get fazed by any situation. He was an attacking bowler who used to take on the batsmen and crack jokes while bowling. We played together for UBL and Mushtaq’s temperament and bravery always stood out for me.”

Tauseef Ahmed is recovering after suffering from a heart attack whilst he was attending a wedding.

This is so delusional and such a case of inferiority complex

And I think the average Pakistan fan doesn’t give two hoots about IPL so I don’t get this obsession by the administrators and some cricketers. Is this because they are missing out on the IPL money whereas an average fan frankly isn’t affected by this?

It really hasn't. Should stop making these silly statements sounds really insecure and desperate.

This is so delusional and such a case of inferiority complex

And I think the average Pakistan fan doesn’t give two hoots about IPL so I don’t get this obsession by the administrators and some cricketers. Is this because they are missing out on the IPL money whereas an average fan frankly isn’t affected by this?

It really hasn't. Should stop making these silly statements sounds really insecure and desperate.

This was his statement 4 years ago, the only reason it has been bumped now is coz he got a heart attack.. wishing him recovery but don’t think he said anything right now along those lines...

4 years on, what is the status of the “damage” that PSL has caused IPL?

Basically has lived rent free in your head for that time

I had no memory of this thread until it was bumped today, and then I saw my discourse with [MENTION=140813]Taaya[/MENTION] which once again illustrated how delusional Pakistani fans are. It is a shame really.

Basically has lived rent free in your head for that time

Look at the thread title. Look at the many threads every week comparing PSL to IPL. Who is living rent free in who's head?

Khuda ka Khauf Karo, the guy just had a heart attack and is in the hospital. Can people forget about an ignorant statement made out of blind patriotism 3-4 years ago and just forgive and wish the guy a good recovery.

The guy was an avg spinner but IK picked him and stuck with him because he was a team player, a mentally strong cricketer who was involved in many decent late order partnerships with established batsmen. He took vicious blows to the body against Australia and the West Indies but never gave his wicket backing away, playing a bad shot and these are the type of cricketers IK loved

I've seen some PSL this yr, it is OK but it seriously lacks international stars. I mean Wiese, Dunk, Fawad Ahmed, Saqib Mahmood, Rossouw, Joe Clarke, these are not big names in cricket folks.

Except for Gayle, Steyn and Imran Tahir, who are also on their last legs, I don't see any major star in PSL, Rashid Khan, yes, only him. No disrespect folks but this is what the truth is. PSL needs to attract more foreign stars, big names like Morgan, Warner, Finch, Williamson, Guptill, Starc, Boult, Southee, Cummins, Pollard, Russell, Narine, etc... I mean you need them to have a star studded event.

Khuda ka Khauf Karo, the guy just had a heart attack and is in the hospital. Can people forget about an ignorant statement made out of blind patriotism 3-4 years ago and just forgive and wish the guy a good recovery.

The guy was an avg spinner but IK picked him and stuck with him because he was a team player, a mentally strong cricketer who was involved in many decent late order partnerships with established batsmen. He took vicious blows to the body against Australia and the West Indies but never gave his wicket backing away, playing a bad shot and these are the type of cricketers IK loved

Sorry to hear that, wish him a speedy recovery. I thought the statement wasade recently, just realized it is an old thread.

Former Test cricketer Tauseef Ahmed underwent an angiography after his health deteriorated, a private hospital in Lahore confirmed Monday.

Ahmed was at a wedding, for which he had travelled from Karachi to Lahore a few days back, when he had a heart attack and was rushed to a hospital.

Why would it inflict any damage to the product where Pakistani players done even play in? And there are no official channels from where IPL can benefit from Pakistan?

That being said I would like to wish him a speedy and full recovery.

LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has announced to bear all expenses of former Test cricketer Tauseef Ahmed’s heart treatment.

Tauseef is currently under treatment at Punjab Insititute of Cardiology (PIC) after suffering a cardiac arrest a couple of days ago.

“We are continuously in touch with Tauseef’s family and PCB will make sure to accommodate the Test cricketer financially throughout his treatment,” PCB’s spokesperson confirmed.

“Tauseef has served Pakistan at every level with honesty and pride and PCB is behind him and his family in this tough time,” he added.

Moreover, PCB will also accommodate the former Test cricketer at the National High-Performance Centre until he gets fine completely.

ARY

93 wickets in 34 Tests
70 wickets in 55 ODIs

On this day, in 1958, a skilled and cunning offspinner whose career was overshadowed by the legendary Abdul Qadir and Iqbal Qasim, Tauseef Ahmed was born. Happy birthday to him.

@Mamoon was spot on in this thread, it’s a shame a lot of People seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to anything India related, that makes them live in a delusional world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back